Re: [Roman_History_Books] Best Post-Republic History

  • Randall Howarth
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
      Read Syme, The Roman Revolution (on Augustus), Millar, The emperor in the
      Roman World, Suetonius 12 Caesars, Garnsey and Saller, The Roman Empire,
      Talbert, The Senate of Imperial Rome, Tacitus, Annals, and Histories,
      Barret's biography of Livia is pretty good, as his his biographies of
      Agrippina and Caligula. This should keep you busy for awile!! Leave
      Mommsen on the shelf, although his authority was once unquestioned, his
      overly schematic view of a dyarchic Emperor-senate government in the
      Imperial period is now passe. Virtually everything he has written has been
      superceded but you have to give the guy credit for being the most learned
      Roman Historian of his time (19th century) Gibbon is obviously dated too
      but his prose is quite pleaseant. Gibbon's thesis, blame Christianity for
      the fall of Rome, is a little too obvious, and like Mommsen, he has been
      superceded on much of his interpretation. Even so, I enjoy picking up his
      books on a regular basis (I have two sets of the unabridged version, one at
      home and one at the office). The dichotomy you posed: Is it factual, or
      more analytical/scholarly? confuses me. RSHowarth

      gregyoungblood wrote:

      > I've gotten thru about 15 books on the time frame up to Octavian. I
      > am now trying to map out the best books on Augustus forward thru
      > late Empire. I have Gibbons, but wow, it's kind of hard to read.
      > Any suggestions from the group? Also, what the general consensus on
      > Mommsen? Easy to read? Comprehensive and enjoyable? Good first
      > time source for info? Is it factual, or more analytical/scholarly?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Greg
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > ---