Best Post-Republic History

  • gregyoungblood
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2004
      I've gotten thru about 15 books on the time frame up to Octavian. I
      am now trying to map out the best books on Augustus forward thru
      late Empire. I have Gibbons, but wow, it's kind of hard to read.
      Any suggestions from the group? Also, what the general consensus on
      Mommsen? Easy to read? Comprehensive and enjoyable? Good first
      time source for info? Is it factual, or more analytical/scholarly?

      Thanks,
      Greg
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2004
        There are a number of individual biographies of emperors about, as well as books on more generalized subjects, which are listed in my reading list:

        http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm#nonfiction

        Gibbon you have really to plot through. And remember, he is 18th century.

        Mommsen is as factual as it gets in the 19th century. http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/mommsen.htm. He was the first historian to really delve into epigraphy, which revolutionized the study of Roman history. His History has to be viewed to some extent however in the political and intellectual climate of his day, issues in which Mommsen was very involved.

        Here is a good assessment: http://www.dur.ac.uk/Classics/histos/1997/wiedemann.html

        I've gotten thru about 15 books on the time frame up to Octavian. I
        am now trying to map out the best books on Augustus forward thru
        late Empire. I have Gibbons, but wow, it's kind of hard to read.
        Any suggestions from the group? Also, what the general consensus on
        Mommsen? Easy to read? Comprehensive and enjoyable? Good first
        time source for info? Is it factual, or more analytical/scholarly?

        Thanks,
        Greg

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Randall Howarth
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
          Read Syme, The Roman Revolution (on Augustus), Millar, The emperor in the
          Roman World, Suetonius 12 Caesars, Garnsey and Saller, The Roman Empire,
          Talbert, The Senate of Imperial Rome, Tacitus, Annals, and Histories,
          Barret's biography of Livia is pretty good, as his his biographies of
          Agrippina and Caligula. This should keep you busy for awile!! Leave
          Mommsen on the shelf, although his authority was once unquestioned, his
          overly schematic view of a dyarchic Emperor-senate government in the
          Imperial period is now passe. Virtually everything he has written has been
          superceded but you have to give the guy credit for being the most learned
          Roman Historian of his time (19th century) Gibbon is obviously dated too
          but his prose is quite pleaseant. Gibbon's thesis, blame Christianity for
          the fall of Rome, is a little too obvious, and like Mommsen, he has been
          superceded on much of his interpretation. Even so, I enjoy picking up his
          books on a regular basis (I have two sets of the unabridged version, one at
          home and one at the office). The dichotomy you posed: Is it factual, or
          more analytical/scholarly? confuses me. RSHowarth

          gregyoungblood wrote:

          > I've gotten thru about 15 books on the time frame up to Octavian. I
          > am now trying to map out the best books on Augustus forward thru
          > late Empire. I have Gibbons, but wow, it's kind of hard to read.
          > Any suggestions from the group? Also, what the general consensus on
          > Mommsen? Easy to read? Comprehensive and enjoyable? Good first
          > time source for info? Is it factual, or more analytical/scholarly?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Greg
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > ---