Re: [Roman_History_Books] New Member

  • David Sigler
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
      A RESPONSE; Personally I would start by reading either Caesar or Plutarch; or books by Michael grants on the subject of Roman History; he's the best authority on the subject. david a sigler

      hmur2003 <hmurley@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I am new here. I am wondering the best way to get started with the
      group. Can anybody give me any advice?

      Thank you,

      Helen

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Helen
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
        That is my problem. I am extremely new to this. I haven't read any books
        on this subject for the past thirty years.

        Helen

        Hello, Helen. Welcome to the group. Perhaps a good way would be to list
        some of your favorite books or figures from Roman history and tell us why
        they interest you.

        Mary Harrsch
        Network & Information Systems Manager
        College of Education
        University of Oregon
        Eugene, OR 97403
        (541) 346-3554

        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

        Editor
        Roman Times
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

        I am new here. I am wondering the best way to get started with the
        group. Can anybody give me any advice?

        Thank you,

        Helen

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lfvqc4/M=313395.5586866.6652554.5263583/D=gr
        oups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1100621090/A=2393704/R=1/SIG=12ai9m0a5/*http://adfa
        rm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4712-24064-1039-7?mpt=1100534690387105> Click Here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313395.5586866.6652554.5263583/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2393704/rand=346260674>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
          Welcome, Helen!

          Here is a reading list, although that may be a bit overwhelming:

          http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm

          May I suggest that you browse through this site, with which we are connected and which has a related forum which some of us also frequent: http://ancienthistory.about.com/

          Those 30 years ago, was ther a specific Roman era that you were interested in?

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
            Oops, I should have whittled it down to http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/romeancientrome/

            :-)

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
              Thank you Irene

              No, it is too far back to remember. I was thinking last week that I would
              like to re some of the books again and familiarise myself with that time
              period. Then I found this site, and the rest, as they say is ...... History
              I know. Terrible but I had to say it.

              I went to the local library today and found a few books but not the ones up
              for discussion. I think I will ease my self into the group slowly.

              Helen

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lfvqc4/M=313395.5586866.6652554
              5263583/D=gr

              oups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1100621090/A=2393704/R=1/SIG=12ai9m0a5/*http://adfa
              rm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/4712-24064-1039-7?mpt=1100534690387105> Click Here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=313395.5586866.6652554
              5263583/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2393704/rand=346260674>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              com?subject=Unsubscribe>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

            • Vicki Cline
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 16, 2004
                Helen, if you're interested in historical fiction, the forum at About.com has a thread on recommended books at
                http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3931.1&redirCnt=1

                If that link doesn't work, you can start at the main page for Ancient History at http://ancienthistory.about.com/ and get into the forum from there. Then go to the folder called "For Writers" and read the topic called "Recommendations vs. Favorites."

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 21, 2004
                  Thank you, Vicki,
                  I find it very difficult to search for and fing items on the forum, so when
                  threads strike me as of broad interest and I have the time, I put them into
                  the Ancient/Classical History blog. Here is the blog URL for the thread you
                  suggested:
                  http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/a/108372.htm

                  N.S. Gill

                  About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
                  http://ancienthistory.about.com

                  >From: Vicki Cline <vcline1@...>
                  >To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: RE: [Roman_History_Books] New Member
                  >Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:01:54 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
                  >
                  >Helen, if you're interested in historical fiction, the forum at About.com
                  >has a thread on recommended books at
                  >http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3931.1&redirCnt=1
                  >
                  >If that link doesn't work, you can start at the main page for Ancient
                  >History at http://ancienthistory.about.com/ and get into the forum from
                  >there. Then go to the folder called "For Writers" and read the topic
                  >called "Recommendations vs. Favorites."
                  >
                  >Vicki

                • Vicki Cline
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 21, 2004
                    Thanks for this link. I remember seeing this page before but didn't know
                    how to get to it. I'm not very experienced in navigating the About.com
                    site. How does one get to the Ancient/Classical History blog?

                    I find it very difficult to search for and fing items on the forum, so when
                    threads strike me as of broad interest and I have the time, I put them into
                    the Ancient/Classical History blog. Here is the blog URL for the thread you
                    suggested:
                    http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/a/108372.htm

                    N.S. Gill

                    About Guide to Ancient/Classical History
                    http://ancienthistory.about.com

                    >From: Vicki Cline <vcline1@...>
                    >To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: RE: [Roman_History_Books] New Member
                    >Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:01:54 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
                    >
                    >Helen, if you're interested in historical fiction, the forum at About.com
                    >has a thread on recommended books at
                    >http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3931.1&redirCnt=1
                    >
                    >If that link doesn't work, you can start at the main page for Ancient
                    >History at http://ancienthistory.about.com/ and get into the forum from
                    >there. Then go to the folder called "For Writers" and read the topic
                    >called "Recommendations vs. Favorites."
                    >
                    >Vicki

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • nemesis eudaimonos