Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Reminder - Open Book Chat - Fiction

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2004
      You will find a lot of information at http://ancienthistory.about.com/.

      Go to their site map; http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_about4siteindex.htm

      From: Bipin Balakrishnan
      To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 8:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Reminder - Open Book Chat - Fiction

      Hi

      I too am new here. Have been fascinated with Roman
      history although my knowledge is very limited. I want
      to read but don't know where to start. Can someone
      please guide me?

      Thanks

      Bipin

      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/chatroom.htm,

      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm.

      > > See you then!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > email to:

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      > removed]

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Mary Harrsch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
        Bipin, I would recommend Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series
        of novels. ("The First Man In Rome", "The Grass Crown", "Fortune's
        Favorites", "Caesar's Women", "Caesar", and "The October Horse".
        Although these works are technically novels, McCullough's research is so
        meticulous that I have heard them referred to as fictionalized history.
        These novels cover the late Republican Period. I also recommend Steven
        Saylor's mystery novels. Each novel is woven around an important
        historical event of the late Republican Period and, again, Saylor's
        research is outstanding. I just finished reading "Catalina's Riddle"
        (excellent) about the Cataline Conspiracy. I have also read "Roman
        Blood" about the trial of Sextus Roscius, "Arms of Nemesis" about Roman
        slavery during the time of the Spartacan revolt, "The Venus Throw" - one
        of my favorites - about the trial of Marcus Caelius and the political
        maneuverings with Egypt and Auletes' daughter (Cleopatra's sister)
        Berenice, and the "shenanigans" between Clodia and the poet Catullus,
        and "Murder on the Appian Way" about the murder of Publius Clodius
        Pulcher, the riots and civil unrest following his death, and the trial
        of Milo.

        I have also enjoyed "King of the Romans" by John Gorman - a novel
        centered around Syagrius, one of the last Roman procurators in Gaul who
        is defeated by Clovis. The first half of the novel is based on
        historical evidence. The second half is the author's imagination of
        what could have happened if Syagrius had truly escaped his execution.
        It is very revealing about the brutality of the "Christian" regime in
        Constantinople.

        "Gods and Legions" by Michael Curtis Ford is based on the rise to power
        of the Emperor Julian who tried to return the 4th century Roman Empire
        to its original Hellenistic religions. Since Christian scholars over
        the centuries have consistently vilified Julian, I found a more
        objective look at his life and rise to power quite interesting.

        Of course "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves are
        fascinating.

        For nonfiction, I would recommend Plutarch's Lives as being less
        "embellished" as Suetonius. I am also very satisfied customer of The
        Teaching Company's (http://www.teach12.com <http://www.teach12.com/> )
        courses on ancient Rome, "The History of Ancient Rome", "Famous Romans",
        "The World of Byzantium", and "The Aeneid". They also just recently
        released a new course, "Rome and the Barbarians" which I just ordered
        last week. Since Rome adopted much from the ancient Greeks, I also
        recommend the courses "History of Ancient Greece", "Herodotus: "Father
        of History", "Classical Mythology", "Famous Greeks", "Alexander the
        Great and the Hellenistic Age", "Greek Tragedy", "The Iliad", "The
        Odyssey", "Discovering Ancient Civilizations", and "Great Ancient
        Civilizations of Asia Minor". Rome also interacted closely with Egypt
        so I also recommend "The History of Ancient Egypt". If you're
        interested in classical philosophy you may also be interested in
        "Practical
        <http://www.teach12.com/store/course.asp?id=4473&d=Practical+Philosophy%
        3A+The+Greco%2DRoman+Moralists> Philosophy: The Greco-Roman Moralists"

        Mary Harrsch
        Network & Information Systems Manager
        College of Education
        University of Oregon
        Eugene, OR 97403
        (541) 346-3554
        <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

        Commentary Section Editor
        Innovate!
        A refereed online journal providing information
        and inspiration to educators using technologies
        to improve the learning experience.
        http://horizon.unc.edu/innovate/guidelines/

        Editor
        Roman Times
        <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

        I too am new here. Have been fascinated with Roman
        history although my knowledge is very limited. I want
        to read but don't know where to start. Can someone
        please guide me?

        Thanks

        Bipin

        --- Irene Hahn <irenesbooks@...> wrote:
        > A mystery! ;-)
        >
        > Try this:
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
        >
        > From your personal e-mail, it seems that you have
        > gotten access thoguh by now.
        >
        > Irene
        >
        > Roman History Reading Group
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
        > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
        > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293hl5lp/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1089641744/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
        p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

        s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=909875287>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links