Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Reminder - Open Book Chat - Fiction

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10, 2004
      A mystery! ;-)

      Try this: http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com

      From your personal e-mail, it seems that you have gotten access thoguh by now.

      From: cygnet_huzil
      To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 9:40 PM
      Subject: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Reminder - Open Book Chat - Fiction

      Hi!

      I'm new.

      I can't seem to access the web page listed below by clicking on it.
      Is there some mystical method known to the initiated??

      --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com,
      Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Open Book Chat - Fiction
      >
      > Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2004
      > Time: 9:00PM - 10:30PM EDT (GMT-04:00)
      >
      > This is a reminder that we meet and chat at the above date and
      > time in our chat room,
      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/chatroom.htm, to
      > discuss your favorite fiction writers on Roman History.
      >
      > For more, go to
      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm.
      >
      > See you then!

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Bipin Balakrishnan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2004
        Hi

        I too am new here. Have been fascinated with Roman
        history although my knowledge is very limited. I want
        to read but don't know where to start. Can someone
        please guide me?

        Thanks

        Bipin

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2004
          You will find a lot of information at http://ancienthistory.about.com/.

          Go to their site map; http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_about4siteindex.htm

          I too am new here. Have been fascinated with Roman
          history although my knowledge is very limited. I want
          to read but don't know where to start. Can someone
          please guide me?

          Thanks

          Bipin

          --- Irene Hahn <irenesbooks@...> wrote:
          > A mystery! ;-)
          >
          > Try this:
          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
          >
          > From your personal e-mail, it seems that you have
          > gotten access thoguh by now.
          >
          > Irene
          >
          > Roman History Reading Group
          > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
          > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
          > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start

        • Mary Harrsch
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2004
            Bipin, I would recommend Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series
            of novels. ("The First Man In Rome", "The Grass Crown", "Fortune's
            Favorites", "Caesar's Women", "Caesar", and "The October Horse".
            Although these works are technically novels, McCullough's research is so
            meticulous that I have heard them referred to as fictionalized history.
            These novels cover the late Republican Period. I also recommend Steven
            Saylor's mystery novels. Each novel is woven around an important
            historical event of the late Republican Period and, again, Saylor's
            research is outstanding. I just finished reading "Catalina's Riddle"
            (excellent) about the Cataline Conspiracy. I have also read "Roman
            Blood" about the trial of Sextus Roscius, "Arms of Nemesis" about Roman
            slavery during the time of the Spartacan revolt, "The Venus Throw" - one
            of my favorites - about the trial of Marcus Caelius and the political
            maneuverings with Egypt and Auletes' daughter (Cleopatra's sister)
            Berenice, and the "shenanigans" between Clodia and the poet Catullus,
            and "Murder on the Appian Way" about the murder of Publius Clodius
            Pulcher, the riots and civil unrest following his death, and the trial
            of Milo.

            I have also enjoyed "King of the Romans" by John Gorman - a novel
            centered around Syagrius, one of the last Roman procurators in Gaul who
            is defeated by Clovis. The first half of the novel is based on
            historical evidence. The second half is the author's imagination of
            what could have happened if Syagrius had truly escaped his execution.
            It is very revealing about the brutality of the "Christian" regime in
            Constantinople.

            "Gods and Legions" by Michael Curtis Ford is based on the rise to power
            of the Emperor Julian who tried to return the 4th century Roman Empire
            to its original Hellenistic religions. Since Christian scholars over
            the centuries have consistently vilified Julian, I found a more
            objective look at his life and rise to power quite interesting.

            Of course "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves are
            fascinating.

            For nonfiction, I would recommend Plutarch's Lives as being less
            "embellished" as Suetonius. I am also very satisfied customer of The
            Teaching Company's (http://www.teach12.com <http://www.teach12.com/> )
            courses on ancient Rome, "The History of Ancient Rome", "Famous Romans",
            "The World of Byzantium", and "The Aeneid". They also just recently
            released a new course, "Rome and the Barbarians" which I just ordered
            last week. Since Rome adopted much from the ancient Greeks, I also
            recommend the courses "History of Ancient Greece", "Herodotus: "Father
            of History", "Classical Mythology", "Famous Greeks", "Alexander the
            Great and the Hellenistic Age", "Greek Tragedy", "The Iliad", "The
            Odyssey", "Discovering Ancient Civilizations", and "Great Ancient
            Civilizations of Asia Minor". Rome also interacted closely with Egypt
            so I also recommend "The History of Ancient Egypt". If you're
            interested in classical philosophy you may also be interested in
            "Practical
            <http://www.teach12.com/store/course.asp?id=4473&d=Practical+Philosophy%
            3A+The+Greco%2DRoman+Moralists> Philosophy: The Greco-Roman Moralists"

            Mary Harrsch
            Network & Information Systems Manager
            College of Education
            University of Oregon
            Eugene, OR 97403
            (541) 346-3554
            <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
            http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

            Commentary Section Editor
            Innovate!
            A refereed online journal providing information
            and inspiration to educators using technologies
            to improve the learning experience.
            http://horizon.unc.edu/innovate/guidelines/

            Editor
            Roman Times
            <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
            http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

            I too am new here. Have been fascinated with Roman
            history although my knowledge is very limited. I want
            to read but don't know where to start. Can someone
            please guide me?

            Thanks

            Bipin

            --- Irene Hahn <irenesbooks@...> wrote:
            > A mystery! ;-)
            >
            > Try this:
            > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
            >
            > From your personal e-mail, it seems that you have
            > gotten access thoguh by now.
            >
            > Irene
            >
            > Roman History Reading Group
            > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com
            > Cohost, Ancient Classical History Forum
            > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/start

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293hl5lp/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1089641744/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
            p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

            s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=909875287>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links