Spartacus

  • Bob Ernst
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2004
      I could not make the chat but thought that I would weigh in on the
      Fast novel, Spartacus.

      I found the book to be tedious and melodramatic. It reminded me of
      Any Rand's Atlas Shrugged. The author tried so hard to push his
      theme that slavery was and is wrong, and that the Romans were so
      hedonistic that they could not figure this out, that the story really
      bogged down in Fast's laborious preaching. The whole chapter on the
      Jew's crucifixion could have been creative but Fine belabored the
      business and lost me about three pages into the victim's reminices.
      Finally, Graccus' and Crassus' love for Varnia was so implausible and
      contrived that the story just totally fell apart with her kidnapping
      by Graccus.

      I am amazed that this book ever sold so many copies.

      All that said, some of the imagery was pretty good, and I can see how
      it was translated into a movie. The story really needs to be told by
      a better teller.

      What is the next book?

      Bob Ernst