Re: [Roman_History_Books] Spartacus Movies/book

  • ptobey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 16, 2004
      I had a dinner to attend, so missed the discussion of the book. It's rather
      irritated me so I stopped reading it. I hate being hit over the head with the
      moral and the characters just get more irritating and less real. Is the next
      book chat also on Spartacus? I'll keep slogging through if there is. Otherwise
      it goes back to the library and I'll jump into my latest Gordianus adventure!
      Pam

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2004
        Next time we will discuss the historical accuracy--or lack of it--of the novel, as well as the original movie and the recent TV movie (for those who have seen it, I haven't).

        I had a dinner to attend, so missed the discussion of the book. It's rather
        irritated me so I stopped reading it. I hate being hit over the head with the
        moral and the characters just get more irritating and less real. Is the next
        book chat also on Spartacus? I'll keep slogging through if there is. Otherwise
        it goes back to the library and I'll jump into my latest Gordianus adventure!
        Pam

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Mary Harrsch
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 17, 2004
          Pam, I, too, am enjoying a Gordianus novel at the present - "Catalina's
          Riddle". It is the last audio version of his books that I have found
          and like "Arms of Nemesis", "The Venus Throw", "Murder on the Appian
          Way", and "Roman Blood", I am enjoying it immensely. By focusing on a
          particular event in Roman history, Steven Saylor brings a deep
          understanding of the social context and politics of the period that I
          find absolutely intriguing. I think my favorite, so far, has been "The
          Venus Throw" because of its humorous elements. I have reviewed it on my
          home page: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

          I tried to join the Spartacus chat last night but I don't get through
          with dinner until 7 p.m. (10 p.m EDT) and I had to install AIM first. I
          live in the country so suffer from an extremely slow modem connection at
          home. By the time I got the software installed and entered the chat
          room, only Irene was left tidying up. Next time I won't have any
          software issues so hopefully I won't be too late.

          Mary Harrsch (aka Libitina Antonia)
          Network & Information Systems Manager
          College of Education
          University of Oregon
          Eugene, OR 97403
          (541) 346-3554
          <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

          Commentary Section Editor
          Innovate!
          A refereed online journal providing information
          and inspiration to educators using technologies
          to improve the learning experience.
          http://horizon.unc.edu/innovate/guidelines/

          Editor
          Roman Times
          <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

          Next time we will discuss the historical accuracy--or lack of it--of the
          novel, as well as the original movie and the recent TV movie (for those
          who have seen it, I haven't).

          I had a dinner to attend, so missed the discussion of the book. It's
          rather
          irritated me so I stopped reading it. I hate being hit over the head
          with the
          moral and the characters just get more irritating and less real. Is
          the next
          book chat also on Spartacus? I'll keep slogging through if there is.
          Otherwise
          it goes back to the library and I'll jump into my latest Gordianus
          adventure!
          Pam

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pl3oed/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1087563800/A=2164339/R=0/SIG=11e2d64in/*htt
          p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183348> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2164339/rand=566813397>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ibe>

        • vlc2_sims
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
            Irene, we missed you at the chat tonight. What's on for next time?
            Also, I saved the transcript (or whatever you call it) if you want
            to put it in the files. Let me know.

            Vicki

            --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, Irene Hahn

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
              Dear Vicki,

              the chat was not supposed to be until next week! That's the reason I did not send a reminder out yet.

              "First and Third Wednesdays of the Month"

              I was planning to rent the movie over the weekend ;-)

              I'll look at the transcript. Now, what we are we going to talk about next week?

              <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
              > Next time we will discuss the historical accuracy--or lack of it--
              of the novel, as well as the original movie and the recent TV movie
              (for those who have seen it, I haven't).

              > Irene

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Vicki Cline
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
                Aha, no wonder you weren't there. Apparently the 3 of us who were are
                somewhat clueless. I will be sure to remember now. The transcript will
                come separately.

                Thanks,

              • bjennings3@kc.rr.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
                  For some reason I thought it was every two weeks. I should have checked the schedule! Anyway, I don't mind discussing Spartacus again - there is plenty to talk about. See you all on Wednesday evening.

                  Beverly and Ian Jennings
                  8148 N. Elmwood Ave
                  Kansas City MO 64119
                  e-mail: bjennings3@...

                  <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
                  > Next time we will discuss the historical accuracy--or lack of it--
                  of the novel, as well as the original movie and the recent TV movie
                  (for those who have seen it, I haven't).

                  > Irene

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor