Re: [Roman_History_Books] Spartacus Book Chat- a question

  • bjennings3@kc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
      My copy of Spartacus is from the library and was published in 1958 by Crown Publishers, N.Y. Unfortunately, it has no introduction and begins with Chapter 1. I am only up to page 106.

      In the Howard Fast interview which Irene put on the web site, Fast mentions that he started thinking about imprisonment and slavery during the time he was in prison himself, due to the Communist witch hunts by Joseph McCarthy. He started researching for Spartacus when he got out of prison.
      Maybe he didn't pay enough attention to surrounding events/persons and just concentrated on writing about Spartacus. It does seem strange that he didn't pay more attention to historical accuracy. Anyway, I am enjoying reading the book.

      Beverly

      Beverly and Ian Jennings
      8148 N. Elmwood Ave
      Kansas City MO 64119
      e-mail: bjennings3@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2004
        I did not get a chance to participate in the book chat but I am also in
        the process of reading Spartacus. I find the writing style very easy to
        read but like others in the group I am having misgivings about his lack
        of attention to historical accuracy. I'm almost halfway through the
        novel and have not found a single Roman so far that is portrayed in a
        positive light. Every Roman portrayed so far is incestuous, licentious,
        callous, and/or greedy. Roman soldiers are depicted as uneducated
        illiterate brutes. I am disturbed that someone is willing to defame an
        entire civilization just to make a "politically correct" point about
        civil rights.

        Mary Harrsch
        Network & Information Systems Manager
        College of Education
        University of Oregon
        Eugene, OR 97403
        (541) 346-3554
        <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

        Commentary Section Editor
        Innovate!
        A refereed online journal providing information
        and inspiration to educators using technologies
        to improve the learning experience.
        http://horizon.unc.edu/innovate/guidelines/

        Editor
        Roman Times
        <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
[...]

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12934jdc0/M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/
        D=groups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1087268821/A=2178650/R=0/SIG=14drisgb3/*htt
        p:/www.householdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt
        =000&mc=01PSYAYA004001B220000U0300L0030000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click
        here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2178650/rand=725710464>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ibe>

      • lennep95
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2004
          Mary, you are not too late:

          the first chat starts this Wednesday, June 16.