Spartacus Book Chat- a question

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11 5:33 PM
      I have added some information about Howard Fast to our page http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist2.htm

      While I do enjoy the story, and the writing style and the construction of the novel, I'm struggling with the lack of accuracy when it comes to portraying historical Roman figures, and more important, events which actually occurred at a much later date, and one, Cicero's quaestorship in Sicily, at an earlier date.

      My copy of the book is the one which Fast self-published and is a barebones edition.

      Does anyone have a copy that has an introduction that might help understanding whether this was a deliberate construct, or simply ignorance, or worse, negligence? (He has written some excellent novels about the American Revolution and War.)

      BTW, I met Howard Fast once in the early 1990s at a dinner party. And I can tell you, he still had the crusading fire in the belly!

    • Vicki Cline
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12 4:44 PM
        I read a 1996 edition with an introduction by Fast, but unfortunately, I
        already returned it to the library and I don't remember what he said about
        how he handled the timeline. He did mention that he wrote it while in
        prison, I think.

      • bjennings3@kc.rr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13 8:06 PM
          My copy of Spartacus is from the library and was published in 1958 by Crown Publishers, N.Y. Unfortunately, it has no introduction and begins with Chapter 1. I am only up to page 106.

          In the Howard Fast interview which Irene put on the web site, Fast mentions that he started thinking about imprisonment and slavery during the time he was in prison himself, due to the Communist witch hunts by Joseph McCarthy. He started researching for Spartacus when he got out of prison.
          Maybe he didn't pay enough attention to surrounding events/persons and just concentrated on writing about Spartacus. It does seem strange that he didn't pay more attention to historical accuracy. Anyway, I am enjoying reading the book.

          Beverly

          Beverly and Ian Jennings
          8148 N. Elmwood Ave
          Kansas City MO 64119
          e-mail: bjennings3@...
          While I do enjoy the story, and the writing style and the construction of the novel, I'm struggling with the lack of accuracy when it comes to portraying historical Roman figures, and more important, events which actually occurred at a much later date, and one, Cicero's quaestorship in Sicily, at an earlier date.

          My copy of the book is the one which Fast self-published and is a barebones edition.

          Does anyone have a copy that has an introduction that might help understanding whether this was a deliberate construct, or simply ignorance, or worse, negligence? (He has written some excellent novels about the American Revolution and War.)

          BTW, I met Howard Fast once in the early 1990s at a dinner party. And I can tell you, he still had the crusading fire in the belly!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Mary Harrsch
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14 9:02 AM
            I did not get a chance to participate in the book chat but I am also in
            the process of reading Spartacus. I find the writing style very easy to
            read but like others in the group I am having misgivings about his lack
            of attention to historical accuracy. I'm almost halfway through the
            novel and have not found a single Roman so far that is portrayed in a
            positive light. Every Roman portrayed so far is incestuous, licentious,
            callous, and/or greedy. Roman soldiers are depicted as uneducated
            illiterate brutes. I am disturbed that someone is willing to defame an
            entire civilization just to make a "politically correct" point about
            civil rights.

            Mary Harrsch
            Network & Information Systems Manager
            College of Education
            University of Oregon
            Eugene, OR 97403
            (541) 346-3554
            <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
            http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

            Commentary Section Editor
            Innovate!
            A refereed online journal providing information
            and inspiration to educators using technologies
            to improve the learning experience.
            http://horizon.unc.edu/innovate/guidelines/

            Editor
            Roman Times
            <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
[...]

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12934jdc0/M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/
            D=groups/S=1705737312:HM/EXP=1087268821/A=2178650/R=0/SIG=14drisgb3/*htt
            p:/www.householdfinance.com/ln/TrackingServlet?cmd_MediaCode=&fc=APS&mkt
            =000&mc=01PSYAYA004001B220000U0300L0030000000000&dest=HOME_PAGE> click
            here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=285832.5035993.6164948.1793556/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2178650/rand=725710464>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            ibe>

          • lennep95
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14 11:26 AM
              Mary, you are not too late:

              the first chat starts this Wednesday, June 16.