In search of a name and author...

  • gythakarlsdotter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
      Hello! I'm new around here, and this is sort of a drive-by
      posting. See, there's a book I read when I was twelve or so (in
      1985) that I've almost entirely forgotten, but would like to find
      again. It's a historical novel set in Claudius-era Britain and
      Rome, and I figured if ANY group of people would know it, it would
      be you guys. :)

      What I remember:

      The main character was the daughter of a Celtic chieftan (I *think*
      Caractacus), brought to Rome as a prisoner. She meets and marries a
      Roman noble, and they join these cultists called "Christians."
      Details are sketchy in my mind, but the main character was given the
      Roman name of Claudia, and her sister, whose Celtic name was "Pwmpa"
      was given the Roman name of "Pomponia."

      What other people have remembered:

      The main character's Celtic name was Gwladys, and she was the wife
      of Aulus Pudens. So it was loosely based on a Biblical story.

      Does that ring any bells with anyone? I know it's kind of vague,
      but I remember really liking the book as a kid, and I'd like to see
      if it's still any good now that I've grown up.

    • ptobey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2004
        The Eagle and the Raven. By Pauline Gedge. We read that last year in the
        group.
        Pam