Re: [Roman_History_Books] searching for some books

  • Michael MyRick
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
      Colleen McCullough!

      her whole Series on the roman chaotic period.

      first man in rome, grass crown, fortune's favorites, caesar's women, caesar, and the october horse.

      very good books, all of them.

      "I find that most interesting, tragic, but extremely interesting."

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
        Here is reading list:

        http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
          Unfortunately, no one seems to have tackled this
          period. Lindsey Davis' works catch the flavor of the
          early Flavian period, are very well researched, and
          are very readable. Gore Vidal wrote a novel about
          Julian, but that is fourth century AD. Many years ago
          I read a fictionalized account of Constantine, but
          can't remember the title.

          > Message: 1
          > Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:14:46 -0500
          > From: Einhorn <Einhorn@...>
          > Subject: searching for some books
          >
          > I am looking for suggestions on some reading
          > material, fictional/historical
          > fiction, set in the second century AD, with a Roman
          > theme....
          >
          > any suggestions?

          > Message: 2
          > Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:35:36 -0400
          > From: Michael MyRick <caesar182@...>
          > Subject: Re: searching for some books
          >
          > Colleen McCullough!
          >
          > her whole Series on the roman chaotic period.
          >
          > first man in rome, grass crown, fortune's favorites,
          > caesar's women, caesar, and the october horse.
          >
          > very good books, all of them.
          >
          > "I find that most interesting, tragic, but extremely
          > interesting."

          > removed]

          > Message: 3
          > Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:43:53 -0700
          > From: "Carolyn Kleintank" <taxfree@...>
          > Subject: Re: searching for some books
          >
          > Not second century AD, but you can check out
          > www.gaius-julius-caesar.com
          >
          > Carolyn

          =====

          What we do here in life echoes into eternity. Aelius Maximus Decimus Meridius
          The true value of a human being is determined primarily by how he has attained liberation from the self. Albert Einstein

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Carolyn Kleintank
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
              I loved Colleen McCullough's books too but they cover the late republic
              not the second century C.E. I've heard that Memoirs of Hadrian by
              Marguerite
              <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-a
              uthor=Yourcenar%2C%20Marguerite/103-6618681-4279033> Yourcenar, Grace
              <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-a
              uthor=Frick%2C%20Grace/103-6618681-4279033> Frick is quite good.

              Mary Harrsch
              Network & Information Systems Manager
              College of Education
              University of Oregon
              Eugene, OR 97403
              (541) 346-3554
              <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
              http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

              Commentary Section Editor
              The Technology Source
              <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

              Editor
              Roman Times
              <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
              http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
              her whole Series on the roman chaotic period.

              first man in rome, grass crown, fortune's favorites, caesar's women,
              caesar, and the october horse.

              very good books, all of them.

              "I find that most interesting, tragic, but extremely interesting."

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              737312:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
              nattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=209670298>

            • Tony Lawson
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 16, 2003
                Try the following site:
                http://home.t-online.de/home/Stefan.Cramme/hr-title.html
                There is an English version of this German site.

                It has the most comprehensive list of historic fiction books on Rome.
              • Mary Harrsch
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 17, 2003
                  Fred Mench also maintains a wonderful Roman Fiction site:

                  http://loki.stockton.edu/~roman/fiction/

                  Mary Harrsch
                  Network & Information Systems Manager
                  College of Education
                  University of Oregon
                  Eugene, OR 97403
                  (541) 346-3554
                  <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
                  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

                  Commentary Section Editor
                  The Technology Source
                  <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

                  Editor
                  Roman Times
                  <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
                  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
                  There is an English version of this German site.

                  It has the most comprehensive list of historic fiction books on Rome.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.4052765.5265175.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                  737312:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tfoi6qi/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
                  o=60178323&partid=4052765> click here