searching for some books

  • Einhorn
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
      I am looking for suggestions on some reading material, fictional/historical
      fiction, set in the second century AD, with a Roman theme....

      any suggestions?
    • Michael MyRick
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
        Colleen McCullough!

        her whole Series on the roman chaotic period.

        first man in rome, grass crown, fortune's favorites, caesar's women, caesar, and the october horse.

        very good books, all of them.

        "I find that most interesting, tragic, but extremely interesting."

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
          Here is reading list:

          http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
            Unfortunately, no one seems to have tackled this
            period. Lindsey Davis' works catch the flavor of the
            early Flavian period, are very well researched, and
            are very readable. Gore Vidal wrote a novel about
            Julian, but that is fourth century AD. Many years ago
            I read a fictionalized account of Constantine, but
            can't remember the title.

            > Message: 1
            > Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:14:46 -0500
            > From: Einhorn <Einhorn@...>
            > Subject: searching for some books
            >
            > I am looking for suggestions on some reading
            > material, fictional/historical
            > fiction, set in the second century AD, with a Roman
            > theme....
            >
            > any suggestions?

            > Message: 2
            > Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:35:36 -0400
            > From: Michael MyRick <caesar182@...>
            > Subject: Re: searching for some books
            >
            > Colleen McCullough!
            >
            > her whole Series on the roman chaotic period.
            >
            > first man in rome, grass crown, fortune's favorites,
            > caesar's women, caesar, and the october horse.
            >
            > very good books, all of them.
            >
            > "I find that most interesting, tragic, but extremely
            > interesting."

            > removed]

            > Message: 3
            > Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:43:53 -0700
            > From: "Carolyn Kleintank" <taxfree@...>
            > Subject: Re: searching for some books
            >
            > Not second century AD, but you can check out
            > www.gaius-julius-caesar.com
            >
            > Carolyn

            =====

            What we do here in life echoes into eternity. Aelius Maximus Decimus Meridius
            The true value of a human being is determined primarily by how he has attained liberation from the self. Albert Einstein

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Carolyn Kleintank
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 15, 2003
                I loved Colleen McCullough's books too but they cover the late republic
                not the second century C.E. I've heard that Memoirs of Hadrian by
                Marguerite
                <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-a
                uthor=Yourcenar%2C%20Marguerite/103-6618681-4279033> Yourcenar, Grace
                <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-a
                uthor=Frick%2C%20Grace/103-6618681-4279033> Frick is quite good.

                Mary Harrsch
                Network & Information Systems Manager
                College of Education
                University of Oregon
                Eugene, OR 97403
                (541) 346-3554
                <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
                http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

                Commentary Section Editor
                The Technology Source
                <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

                Editor
                Roman Times
                <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
                http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
                her whole Series on the roman chaotic period.

                first man in rome, grass crown, fortune's favorites, caesar's women,
                caesar, and the october horse.

                very good books, all of them.

                "I find that most interesting, tragic, but extremely interesting."

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                737312:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
                nattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=209670298>

              • Tony Lawson
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 16, 2003
                  Try the following site:
                  http://home.t-online.de/home/Stefan.Cramme/hr-title.html
                  There is an English version of this German site.

                  It has the most comprehensive list of historic fiction books on Rome.
                • Mary Harrsch
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 17, 2003
                    Fred Mench also maintains a wonderful Roman Fiction site:

                    http://loki.stockton.edu/~roman/fiction/

                    Mary Harrsch
                    Network & Information Systems Manager
                    College of Education
                    University of Oregon
                    Eugene, OR 97403
                    (541) 346-3554
                    <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
                    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

                    Commentary Section Editor
                    The Technology Source
                    <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

                    Editor
                    Roman Times
                    <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
                    http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
                    There is an English version of this German site.

                    It has the most comprehensive list of historic fiction books on Rome.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.4052765.5265175.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                    737312:HM/A=1754451/R=0/SIG=11tfoi6qi/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
                    o=60178323&partid=4052765> click here