Hyginus

  • Lars Hammarberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2003
      I don´t know so much about this matters, but I have a questïon about
      Hyginus. Hes was put as a librarian by Augustinus, and made a work
      about Roman army organisation. He´s claimed as a source by more
      modern authors. Which work?

      Regards

      Lars Hammarberg
    • lennep95
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2003
        I have put your question to the Ancient/Classical History Forum:

        http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3434.1

        Irene
      • lennep95
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2003
          According to the OCD (where there are four Hygenuses listed):

          1. Hygenus, Augustus' freedman, wrote a lot, but none is extant, and
          apparently not military.

          2. The--incomplete--treatise that you seem to refer to, has been
          mistakenly attributed to Hygenus Gromaticus. It has been placed in
          the 2nd or 3rd century AD, but "most persuasively" in the reign of
          Trajan.

          Irene
        • lennep95
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2003
            --- In Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com, "lennep95"
            <irenesbooks@o...> wrote:
            > According to the OCD (where there are four Hygenuses listed):
            >
            > 1. Hygenus, Augustus' freedman, wrote a lot, but none is extant,
            and
            > apparently not military.
            >
            > 2. The--incomplete--treatise that you seem to refer to, has been
            > mistakenly attributed to Hygenus Gromaticus. It has been placed in
            > the 2nd or 3rd century AD, but "most persuasively" in the reign of
            > Trajan.
            >
            > Irene

            Oops, those Hygenuses should have been "Hyginuses" . . .
          • Lars Hammarberg
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
              I find following in Encyclopedia (1911), but I don't understand the
              name of the work describing the organization of the Roman army:

              HYGINUS, GAIUS JULIUS, Latin author, a native of Spain (or
              Alexandria), was a pupil of the famous Cornelius Alexander
              Polyhistor and a freedman of Augustus, by whom he was made
              superintendent of the Palatine library (Suetonius, De Graminaticis,
              20). He is said to have fallen into great poverty in his old age,
              and to have been supported by the historian Clodius Licinus. He was
              a voluminous author, and his works included topographical and
              biographical treatises, commentaries on Helvius Cinna and the poems
              of Virgil, and disquisitions on agriculture and bee-keeping. All
              these are lost.
              Under the name of Hyginus two school treatises on mythology are
              extant: (1) Pabularum Liber, some 300 mythological legends and
              celestial genealogies, valuable for the use made by the author of
              the works of Greek tragedians now lost; (2) De Astronomia, usually
              called Poetica Astronomica, containing an elementary treatise on
              astronomy and the myths connected with the stars, chiefly based on
              the Kai-ao-r€pwpot of Eratosthenes. Both are `abridgments and both
              are by the same hand; but the style and Latinity and the elementary
              mistakes (especially in the rendering of the Greek originals) are
              held to prove that they cannot have been the work of so
              distinguished a scholar as C. Julius Hyginus. It is suggested that
              these treatises are an abridgment (made in the latter half of the
              2nd century) of the Genealogiae of Hyginus by an unknown grammarian,
              who added a complete treatise on mythology.

              Regards

              Lars Hammarberg
            • D. Scott VanHorn
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2003
                The 3rd edition of the Oxford Classical Dictionary has
                four entries for individuals named Hyginus:
                1) Gaius Julius Hyginus- a freedman (of either
                Spoanish or Alexandrine origin) of Augustus, a friend
                of Ovid, and the author of several treatises: On
                Agriculture which may have included On Bees, cited by
                Columella; a commentary on Vergil, cited by Aulus
                Gellius and Servius; On Trojan Families, On the Origin
                and Site of Italian Cities; On the Life and Histories
                of Illustrious Men; Examples; On the Qualities of the
                Gods; and On the Di Penates (the Household Gods)

                2) Hyginus (circa 100 AD)-Wrote on the establishment
                of boundaries, categories of land, including their
                designation on maps, and land disputes. He also
                mentions a no-longer extant collection of imperial
                rescripts on land-holding.

                3) Hyginus-Author of Genealogies, a mythology
                handbook, compiled perhaps in the second century AD,
                and drawn from Greek sources. Most likely a school
                text. In the sixteenth century, Micyllus, the editor
                of the editio princeps, changed its title to Fabulae.
                He also possibly wrote a manual on Greek astronomy.

                4) Hyginus Gromaticus-Mistakenly supposed author of On
                Camp Fortifications (another sixteenth century title).
                Originally may date to Time of Trajan (98-117) or as
                late as the third century. The work discusses the
                siting of military camps, the internal measurement of
                same for a hypothetical army, and the establishment of
                fortifications.

                Scott VanHorn

                =====

                What we do here in life echoes into eternity. Aelius Maximus Decimus Meridius
                The true value of a human being is determined primarily by how he has attained liberation from the self. Albert Einstein

                http://shopping.yahoo.com