RE: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Welcome to Roman_History_Books

  • Mary Harrsch
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2003
      Welcome, Alissa! Like you, I became "hooked" on the Roman Empire after
      reading Colleen McCullough's series of novels. Another wonderful author
      is Mary Renault, although she writes about ancient Greece rather than
      ancient Rome. I loved her trilogy about Alexander the Great ("Fire From
      Heaven", "The Persian Boy", and "Funeral Games") as well as "The Last of
      the Wine". Recently I finished listening to John Gorman's "King of the
      Romans" about Syagrius, one of the last Roman procurators of Gaul, and I
      enjoyed it immensely too. You also mentioned the Punic Wars. I just
      finished listening to "Hannibal: One Man Against Rome" by Harold Lamb
      and it was well done too (nonfiction).

      Mary Harrsch
      Network & Information Systems Manager
      College of Education
      University of Oregon
      Eugene, OR 97403
      (541) 346-3554
      <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
      http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

      Commentary Section Editor
      The Technology Source
      <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

      Editor
      Roman Times
      <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
      http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2003
        Hi Mary!

        I have tried "The Last of The Wine" but did not finish
        it. I think it's too gloomy. One of the reasons I like
        McCullough and Graves is because their books are
        sparkling with humour, so alive. For this reason I
        have tried Lindsey Davies' Falco series, but they
        turned not as funny as I was led to believe. Cynical,
        yes. Witty? Nope.

        What about John Maddox's SPQR series? Is it good?

        But I definetely will give Renault's trilogy on
        Alexander The Great a try because I always want to
        learn more about Alexander.

        Thank you for your recommendations on John Gorman and
        Harold Lamb. I will look them up. :D

        Alissa in Indonesia

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Mary Harrsch
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
          I have not read any of the SPQR books yet although I have read
          "Hannibal's Children" by John Maddox Roberts. It is an alternate
          history novel that is based on the proposal that Hannibal succeeded in
          conquering Rome and the Romans, exiled to Noricum, plot to recapture
          their city of the seven hills and their former territory. I must admit,
          I was somewhat disappointed with it. The characterizations seemed
          shallow and I couldn't invest my feelings in their plight. The entire
          piece seemed to be a prelude to something more (which it is essentially,
          since there is apparently at least one sequel). The conflict with the
          Carthaginians just began when the book ended. I felt a little cheated
          since the synopsis made you think the novel was going to be about the
          recapture of Rome and it never got anywhere close to that conclusion.

          In contrast, John Gorman's portrayal of Syagrius, in "King of the
          Romans", was quite sympathetic. He was honorable and courageous and I
          couldn't help but admire him. Gorman also did an excellent job of
          humanizing his other characters as well. Clovis was wickedly despicable.
          The old priest of Noviodonum was equally compassionate - an
          understanding man who would help the aging pagan priestess remember her
          ritual prayers, and the band of wounded souls Syagrius finds on the
          island of Crete all possess a strength of spirit that inspires you as
          you become entangled in their lives.

          Here are three sample chapters online:
          http://www.awe-struck.net/PREVIEWS/KOTR/KOTRpv.html

          Mary Harrsch
          Network & Information Systems Manager
          College of Education
          University of Oregon
          Eugene, OR 97403
          (541) 346-3554
          <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

          Commentary Section Editor
          The Technology Source
          <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

          Editor
          Roman Times
          <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
          I have tried "The Last of The Wine" but did not finish
          it. I think it's too gloomy. One of the reasons I like
          McCullough and Graves is because their books are
          sparkling with humour, so alive. For this reason I
          have tried Lindsey Davies' Falco series, but they
          turned not as funny as I was led to believe. Cynical,
          yes. Witty? Nope.

          What about John Maddox's SPQR series? Is it good?

          But I definetely will give Renault's trilogy on
          Alexander The Great a try because I always want to
          learn more about Alexander.

          Thank you for your recommendations on John Gorman and
          Harold Lamb. I will look them up. :D

          Alissa in Indonesia

          --- Mary Harrsch <mharrsch@...> wrote:
          > Welcome, Alissa! Like you, I became "hooked" on the
          > Roman Empire after
          > reading Colleen McCullough's series of novels.
          > Another wonderful author
          > is Mary Renault, although she writes about ancient
          > Greece rather than
          > ancient Rome. I loved her trilogy about Alexander
          > the Great ("Fire From
          > Heaven", "The Persian Boy", and "Funeral Games") as
          > well as "The Last of
          > the Wine". Recently I finished listening to John
          > Gorman's "King of the
          > Romans" about Syagrius, one of the last Roman
          > procurators of Gaul, and I
          > enjoyed it immensely too. You also mentioned the
          > Punic Wars. I just
          > finished listening to "Hannibal: One Man Against
          > Rome" by Harold Lamb
          > and it was well done too (nonfiction).
          >
          > Mary Harrsch
          > Network & Information Systems Manager
          > College of Education
          > University of Oregon
          > Eugene, OR 97403
          > (541) 346-3554
          > <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
          > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/
          >
          > Commentary Section Editor
          > The Technology Source
          > <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org
          >
          > Editor
          > Roman Times

          <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>

          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          737312:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
          nattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=488491298>