Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Welcome to Roman_History_Books

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25 8:20 AM
      Ah, alternative history ;-)

      From: Carolyn Kleintank
      To: Roman_History_Books@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 12:25 PM
      Subject: Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Welcome to Roman_History_Books

      Another point of view about Julius Caesar can be found at
      www.gaius-julius-caesar.com
      Carolyn
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25 6:06 PM
        Irene and Carolyn, thanks for the links! :D

        Alissa in Indonesia

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26 7:25 PM
          John Maddox Robert's SPQR series is Falco en aristocrate--a fictivous Metellus during Caesar's time--so if you don't like Davis, you may not like Roberts either.

        • alissa damiri
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26 7:32 PM
            Yes, I thought so too. Thanks, Irene! :D

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 27 9:11 AM
              I too read "Hannibal's Children" recently. On the positive side I have to say that it was well researched, on the negative one I had two major objections:

              1. He should have put more detail into the emigration story; and
              2. I would have liked a firm ending. It means of course, that there will be a sequel.

              I meant to do a review, but have not yet gotten to it.

              Mr. Roberts is a prolific writer, mainly of science fiction apart from the SPQR series.

              Moderator
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman_History_Books
              Co-host, Ancient/Classical History Forum at About.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 27 9:16 AM
                Well, I do love reading the Falco books, and have all the SPQRs and have
                become hooked on Claudia Seferius--Marilyn Todd's female Roman detective. It's
                written in a modern tone, but I just can't help liking the characters, even when
                they don't think like ancient Romans. LOL. David Wishart has a good series as
                well, as does Rosemary Rowe. I have found Rowe's books (set in Roman Britain
                and the detective is a freed slave who is a tile worker) over here in the U.S.
                but I order all my Wisharts and Todds from England over the internet. But they
                aren't always to everyone's taste. I'm one who just gobbles up the Roman
                settings, whether they are true to the period or not. hehe. My faves are still
                McCullough's with Davis a close second.

                I actually have some of the books at my desk at work, having not taken them
                home yet.
                Wishart: Marcus Corvinus, in the time of Tiberius. Described in the Dramtis
                Personae at the front of the books as "a rich young noble with no interest in
                politics." He has a fussy cook and often there are interesting descriptions of
                the fancy Roman dishes fromt he Imperial period. Married to Perilla,
                stepdaughter of Ovid, with an adopted daughter who brings home stray animals, usually
                to hilarious effect.
                Rowe: Longinius Flavius Libertus, freedman, mosaicist, a Celt who was taken
                as a slave and eventually bought his freedom, set in Roman Britain, around 187
                AD. His patron is Marcus Septimus Aurelius (regional governor's
                representative). Has a "scruffy and cheerful" slave of his own, Junio, who is also learning
                the art of the mosaic.
                Todd: Came up from the subura district and poverty to catch the eye of a wine
                maker, Gaius, who dies and leaves her everything and she tries to run the
                wine business. One of the themes is the wine guild trying to undercut her and buy
                her out at every turn. An Egyptian cat, Drusilla, is her constant companion
                and she is bedeviled and persued by the assistant to the head of Rome's
                security police, Marcus Cornelius Orbilio (patrician), who wants to enter the Senate
                but keeps getting in trouble, is always disappointing his family. Augustus is
                Emperor. Very modern writing and thinking, but fast paced and enjoyable
                despite that.

                You can read excerpts and such at Amazon.co.uk.

                Pam :-)