Re: [Roman_History_Books] Re: Welcome to Roman_History_Books

  • alissa damiri
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24, 2003
      Hi Mike!

      My favorite is Sulla too! I like Julius Caesar but I
      think he's too perfect. :D

      Alissa in Indonesia

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2003
        Ah, alternative history ;-)

        Another point of view about Julius Caesar can be found at
        www.gaius-julius-caesar.com
        Carolyn
        > My favorite is Sulla too! I like Julius Caesar but I
        > think he's too perfect. :D
        >

        > Alissa in Indonesia
        >

        > --- mike <caesar182@...> wrote:
        > > i loved colleen's books.
        > >
        > > i read several of them three times!
        > >
        > > who is your favorite character besides Julius
        > > Caesar?
        > >
        > > mine would have to be sulla.
        > >
        > > in progress

        > > removed]

        > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Carolyn Kleintank
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 25, 2003
          Another point of view about Julius Caesar can be found at
          www.gaius-julius-caesar.com
          Carolyn
          > My favorite is Sulla too! I like Julius Caesar but I
          > think he's too perfect. :D
          >

          > Alissa in Indonesia
          >

          > --- mike <caesar182@...> wrote:
          > > i loved colleen's books.
          > >
          > > i read several of them three times!
          > >
          > > who is your favorite character besides Julius
          > > Caesar?
          > >
          > > mine would have to be sulla.
          > >
          > > in progress

          > > removed]

          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        • alissa damiri
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 25, 2003
            Irene and Carolyn, thanks for the links! :D

            Alissa in Indonesia

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2003
              John Maddox Robert's SPQR series is Falco en aristocrate--a fictivous Metellus during Caesar's time--so if you don't like Davis, you may not like Roberts either.

            • alissa damiri
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2003
                Yes, I thought so too. Thanks, Irene! :D

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 27, 2003
                  I too read "Hannibal's Children" recently. On the positive side I have to say that it was well researched, on the negative one I had two major objections:

                  1. He should have put more detail into the emigration story; and
                  2. I would have liked a firm ending. It means of course, that there will be a sequel.

                  I meant to do a review, but have not yet gotten to it.

                  Mr. Roberts is a prolific writer, mainly of science fiction apart from the SPQR series.

                  Moderator
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman_History_Books
                  Co-host, Ancient/Classical History Forum at About.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 27, 2003
                    Well, I do love reading the Falco books, and have all the SPQRs and have
                    become hooked on Claudia Seferius--Marilyn Todd's female Roman detective. It's
                    written in a modern tone, but I just can't help liking the characters, even when
                    they don't think like ancient Romans. LOL. David Wishart has a good series as
                    well, as does Rosemary Rowe. I have found Rowe's books (set in Roman Britain
                    and the detective is a freed slave who is a tile worker) over here in the U.S.
                    but I order all my Wisharts and Todds from England over the internet. But they
                    aren't always to everyone's taste. I'm one who just gobbles up the Roman
                    settings, whether they are true to the period or not. hehe. My faves are still
                    McCullough's with Davis a close second.

                    I actually have some of the books at my desk at work, having not taken them
                    home yet.
                    Wishart: Marcus Corvinus, in the time of Tiberius. Described in the Dramtis
                    Personae at the front of the books as "a rich young noble with no interest in
                    politics." He has a fussy cook and often there are interesting descriptions of
                    the fancy Roman dishes fromt he Imperial period. Married to Perilla,
                    stepdaughter of Ovid, with an adopted daughter who brings home stray animals, usually
                    to hilarious effect.
                    Rowe: Longinius Flavius Libertus, freedman, mosaicist, a Celt who was taken
                    as a slave and eventually bought his freedom, set in Roman Britain, around 187
                    AD. His patron is Marcus Septimus Aurelius (regional governor's
                    representative). Has a "scruffy and cheerful" slave of his own, Junio, who is also learning
                    the art of the mosaic.
                    Todd: Came up from the subura district and poverty to catch the eye of a wine
                    maker, Gaius, who dies and leaves her everything and she tries to run the
                    wine business. One of the themes is the wine guild trying to undercut her and buy
                    her out at every turn. An Egyptian cat, Drusilla, is her constant companion
                    and she is bedeviled and persued by the assistant to the head of Rome's
                    security police, Marcus Cornelius Orbilio (patrician), who wants to enter the Senate
                    but keeps getting in trouble, is always disappointing his family. Augustus is
                    Emperor. Very modern writing and thinking, but fast paced and enjoyable
                    despite that.

                    You can read excerpts and such at Amazon.co.uk.

                    Pam :-)