Re: Welcome to Roman_History_Books

  • alissa damiri
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2003
      Hi!

      My name's Alissa and I'm from Indonesia. I'm glad I
      can join this group because I like historical fiction,
      especially Roman.

      My favourites are Colleen McCullough and Robert
      Graves.

      Now I'm reading October Horse. They say the mark of a
      good book is dreading the end. How I dread the end of
      October Horse! Because it is the last of the wonderful
      series.

      I hope by joining this group I can discover another
      writers. Although I seriously believe no one can match
      McCullough, I welcome your suggestions.

      Maybe we can even discuss how to persuade McCullough
      to continue the series. Isn't it great to learn more
      about the early empire? Or go back to Carthagian wars
      and Scipio Africanus?

      Kind regards,
      Alissa in Indonesia

      --- Roman_History_Books Moderator
      <Roman_History_Books-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > welcome to the Roman History Books and Reading
      > Group. Please take a moment to review this message.
      >
      > We are book lovers with a special interest in Roman
      > History.
      >
      > Our discussion takes place on a forum,
      > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start.
      >
      > Please check our website often for updates:
      > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
      > or go directly to:

      > to see what we are reading now.
      >
      > Please e-mail IrenesBooks@... if you have any
      > questions.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this list:
      > Click on the Edit Message Settings link at the top
      > of the page.
      > Look for the Group you wish to unsubscribe from, and
      > select Unsubscribe from the pull-down list on the
      > right.
      > Click Update to save your changes. The Group will no
      > longer be listed on the My Groups page, and you will
      > no longer receive messages.
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Mary Harrsch
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2003
        Welcome, Alissa! Like you, I became "hooked" on the Roman Empire after
        reading Colleen McCullough's series of novels. Another wonderful author
        is Mary Renault, although she writes about ancient Greece rather than
        ancient Rome. I loved her trilogy about Alexander the Great ("Fire From
        Heaven", "The Persian Boy", and "Funeral Games") as well as "The Last of
        the Wine". Recently I finished listening to John Gorman's "King of the
        Romans" about Syagrius, one of the last Roman procurators of Gaul, and I
        enjoyed it immensely too. You also mentioned the Punic Wars. I just
        finished listening to "Hannibal: One Man Against Rome" by Harold Lamb
        and it was well done too (nonfiction).

        Mary Harrsch
        Network & Information Systems Manager
        College of Education
        University of Oregon
        Eugene, OR 97403
        (541) 346-3554
        <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

        Commentary Section Editor
        The Technology Source
        <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

        Editor
        Roman Times
        <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
        My name's Alissa and I'm from Indonesia. I'm glad I
        can join this group because I like historical fiction,
        especially Roman.

        My favourites are Colleen McCullough and Robert
        Graves.

        Now I'm reading October Horse. They say the mark of a
        good book is dreading the end. How I dread the end of
        October Horse! Because it is the last of the wonderful
        series.

        I hope by joining this group I can discover another
        writers. Although I seriously believe no one can match
        McCullough, I welcome your suggestions.

        Maybe we can even discuss how to persuade McCullough
        to continue the series. Isn't it great to learn more
        about the early empire? Or go back to Carthagian wars
        and Scipio Africanus?

        Kind regards,
        Alissa in Indonesia

        --- Roman_History_Books Moderator
        <Roman_History_Books-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > welcome to the Roman History Books and Reading
        > Group. Please take a moment to review this message.
        >
        > We are book lovers with a special interest in Roman
        > History.
        >
        > Our discussion takes place on a forum,
        > http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist2/start.
        >
        > Please check our website often for updates:
        > http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/
        > or go directly to:

        > to see what we are reading now.
        >
        > Please e-mail IrenesBooks@... if you have any
        > questions.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this list:
        > Click on the Edit Message Settings link at the top
        > of the page.
        > Look for the Group you wish to unsubscribe from, and
        > select Unsubscribe from the pull-down list on the
        > right.
        > Click Update to save your changes. The Group will no
        > longer be listed on the My Groups page, and you will
        > no longer receive messages.
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        737312:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit
        ?page=1374-105951838331032> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3760361.5018013.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1712983/rand=589628301>

      • alissa damiri
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26, 2003
          Hi Mary!

          I have tried "The Last of The Wine" but did not finish
          it. I think it's too gloomy. One of the reasons I like
          McCullough and Graves is because their books are
          sparkling with humour, so alive. For this reason I
          have tried Lindsey Davies' Falco series, but they
          turned not as funny as I was led to believe. Cynical,
          yes. Witty? Nope.

          What about John Maddox's SPQR series? Is it good?

          But I definetely will give Renault's trilogy on
          Alexander The Great a try because I always want to
          learn more about Alexander.

          Thank you for your recommendations on John Gorman and
          Harold Lamb. I will look them up. :D

          Alissa in Indonesia

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Mary Harrsch
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27, 2003
            I have not read any of the SPQR books yet although I have read
            "Hannibal's Children" by John Maddox Roberts. It is an alternate
            history novel that is based on the proposal that Hannibal succeeded in
            conquering Rome and the Romans, exiled to Noricum, plot to recapture
            their city of the seven hills and their former territory. I must admit,
            I was somewhat disappointed with it. The characterizations seemed
            shallow and I couldn't invest my feelings in their plight. The entire
            piece seemed to be a prelude to something more (which it is essentially,
            since there is apparently at least one sequel). The conflict with the
            Carthaginians just began when the book ended. I felt a little cheated
            since the synopsis made you think the novel was going to be about the
            recapture of Rome and it never got anywhere close to that conclusion.

            In contrast, John Gorman's portrayal of Syagrius, in "King of the
            Romans", was quite sympathetic. He was honorable and courageous and I
            couldn't help but admire him. Gorman also did an excellent job of
            humanizing his other characters as well. Clovis was wickedly despicable.
            The old priest of Noviodonum was equally compassionate - an
            understanding man who would help the aging pagan priestess remember her
            ritual prayers, and the band of wounded souls Syagrius finds on the
            island of Crete all possess a strength of spirit that inspires you as
            you become entangled in their lives.

            Here are three sample chapters online:
            http://www.awe-struck.net/PREVIEWS/KOTR/KOTRpv.html

            Mary Harrsch
            Network & Information Systems Manager
            College of Education
            University of Oregon
            Eugene, OR 97403
            (541) 346-3554
            <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
            http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/

            Commentary Section Editor
            The Technology Source
            <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org

            Editor
            Roman Times
            <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>
            http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html
            I have tried "The Last of The Wine" but did not finish
            it. I think it's too gloomy. One of the reasons I like
            McCullough and Graves is because their books are
            sparkling with humour, so alive. For this reason I
            have tried Lindsey Davies' Falco series, but they
            turned not as funny as I was led to believe. Cynical,
            yes. Witty? Nope.

            What about John Maddox's SPQR series? Is it good?

            But I definetely will give Renault's trilogy on
            Alexander The Great a try because I always want to
            learn more about Alexander.

            Thank you for your recommendations on John Gorman and
            Harold Lamb. I will look them up. :D

            Alissa in Indonesia

            --- Mary Harrsch <mharrsch@...> wrote:
            > Welcome, Alissa! Like you, I became "hooked" on the
            > Roman Empire after
            > reading Colleen McCullough's series of novels.
            > Another wonderful author
            > is Mary Renault, although she writes about ancient
            > Greece rather than
            > ancient Rome. I loved her trilogy about Alexander
            > the Great ("Fire From
            > Heaven", "The Persian Boy", and "Funeral Games") as
            > well as "The Last of
            > the Wine". Recently I finished listening to John
            > Gorman's "King of the
            > Romans" about Syagrius, one of the last Roman
            > procurators of Gaul, and I
            > enjoyed it immensely too. You also mentioned the
            > Punic Wars. I just
            > finished listening to "Hannibal: One Man Against
            > Rome" by Harold Lamb
            > and it was well done too (nonfiction).
            >
            > Mary Harrsch
            > Network & Information Systems Manager
            > College of Education
            > University of Oregon
            > Eugene, OR 97403
            > (541) 346-3554
            > <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/>
            > http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/
            >
            > Commentary Section Editor
            > The Technology Source
            > <http://ts.mivu.org> http://ts.mivu.org
            >
            > Editor
            > Roman Times

            <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html>

            http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/romanwonders.html

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            737312:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
            nattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=488491298>