Re: [Roman_History_Books] Greek-Speaking Romans

  • Jimmyjb
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
      Beginning in the early 1st century AD, the Roman garrison of Judaea was largely comprised of
      an auxiliary unit known as the Sebastiani, largely comprised of Greek-speaking residents of Sebaste and Caesarea. They would have spoken a local Greek dialect, and this includes all ranks. They were hated by the Jews of Jerusalem as they comprised the main element
      enforcing Roman edicts.They harbored a hatred of Jews because of the ethnic strife in their native cities.

      The legions brought in to suppress the rebellion of 66-73, consisting of such legions as the Xth Fretensis, the Vth and the XVth, would have been largely made up of latin-speakers, though would likely have enough Greek-speakers (and Aramaic speakers) to deal with the
      locals.

      Jim Bloom

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
        In a message dated 8/9/2003 8:48:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jlatona98@... writes:

        > I wonder if in the movie, "The Passion", they will have the Roman
        > soldiers speaking Latin or Greek.

        Aren't they going to speak English? ;-)

      • Jay Latona
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
          Not only will the actors in that film not speak English, the plan is to NOT use sub-titles. They wil be speaking Aramaic, Greek, and Latin. All moviegoers must take a short course in ancient Aramaic and Greek before entering the theatre.

          (the last sentence is in jest; the first is true)

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
            In a message dated 8/10/2003 12:32:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            jlatona98@... writes:

            > They will be speaking Aramaic, Greek, and Latin.

            With an American accent? <grin>

          • Jay Latona
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
              Then again, who can tell if they have an accent ? Or even if they are speaking the languages correctly ?

              IrenesBooks@... wrote:In a message dated 8/10/2003 12:32:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,