Re: [Roman_History_Books] Greek-Speaking Romans

  • Jay Latona
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 9, 2003
      Jimmy,
      Thanks for your feedback. So how high in the Roman military ranks do you think you would have to go before you found someone fluent in Greek stationed in Judaea ? I wonder if in the movie, "The Passion", they will have the Roman soldiers speaking Latin or Greek.
      Jay

      Jimmyjb <Jimmyjb@...> wrote:
      Perhaps the example of Flavius Josephus is instructive. Like all intellectuals of the aristocratic class in the
      province of Judaea, he was "conversant" in Greek, meaning he knew enough Greek to
      conduct low-level diplomatic affairs with counterparts in neighboring Middle Eastern nations and
      tradesmen and merchants in his own country. When he wanted to write an early version of his "Jewish War", to warn off
      any of his fellow Jews in Asia Minor, Armenia, and Parthia who might want to continue the rebellion, he wrote in
      Aramaic, since this was the language they understood. By the way, it was not only Jews who spoke Aramaic but many
      other Near Eastern ethnic groups as well.

      Even though he could converse in Greek well enough to conduct diplomatic and mercantile affairs, he needed Greek
      assistant scribes to render his Aramaic "Jewish War" into literary Greek, written for the educated classes throughout
      the Roman Empire.

      Jim Bloom

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Jimmyjb
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
        Beginning in the early 1st century AD, the Roman garrison of Judaea was largely comprised of
        an auxiliary unit known as the Sebastiani, largely comprised of Greek-speaking residents of Sebaste and Caesarea. They would have spoken a local Greek dialect, and this includes all ranks. They were hated by the Jews of Jerusalem as they comprised the main element
        enforcing Roman edicts.They harbored a hatred of Jews because of the ethnic strife in their native cities.

        The legions brought in to suppress the rebellion of 66-73, consisting of such legions as the Xth Fretensis, the Vth and the XVth, would have been largely made up of latin-speakers, though would likely have enough Greek-speakers (and Aramaic speakers) to deal with the
        locals.

        Jim Bloom

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
          In a message dated 8/9/2003 8:48:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jlatona98@... writes:

          > I wonder if in the movie, "The Passion", they will have the Roman
          > soldiers speaking Latin or Greek.

          Aren't they going to speak English? ;-)

        • Jay Latona
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
            Not only will the actors in that film not speak English, the plan is to NOT use sub-titles. They wil be speaking Aramaic, Greek, and Latin. All moviegoers must take a short course in ancient Aramaic and Greek before entering the theatre.

            (the last sentence is in jest; the first is true)

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
              In a message dated 8/10/2003 12:32:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              jlatona98@... writes:

              > They will be speaking Aramaic, Greek, and Latin.

              With an American accent? <grin>

            • Jay Latona
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2003
                Then again, who can tell if they have an accent ? Or even if they are speaking the languages correctly ?

                IrenesBooks@... wrote:In a message dated 8/10/2003 12:32:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,