Re: [Roman_History_Books] 3rd Punic War

  • Randall Howarth
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
      Greg, there is no primary source that covers the period except in summary.
      Lazenby has a book on the war (I forget the title but it's probably....The First
      Punic War...lol) based on the scattered references and it is as good as anything
      and fairly readable too. Randall

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
        Here a response from the A/C Forum:

        Polybius is still the best source for the Third Punic War - after all, he was
        literally standing next to Scipio Aemilianus at the fall of Carthage. His
        account of the conflict (available at <A HREF="http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-punic3.html">
        http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-punic3.html</A>) can be supplemented with Appian's Libyca, the surviving
        summaries of Livy's Books 49-51, and the fragments of Book 21 of Dio Cassius,
        which add a few dramatic incidents. Inconveniently, Plutarch neglected to write a
        Life of Scipio Aemilianus, so he's less help than usual! There really isn't
        enough material on this war to fill a whole book aimed at the general reader,
        though any history of the Punic Wars will include a section on it.

        (for Dio Cassius, you can go here:
        http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman/Texts/Cassius_D
        io/home.html )

        This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
          By the way, has your book on the Roman-Judaeo War of 66-74 been published
          yet?

          This occurred to me when I updated my webpage
          http://www.romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/l_articles.htm today.