Re: [Roman_History_Books] 3rd Punic War

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2003
      Hello Greg!

      I have forwarded your query to the Ancient/Classical History Forum:
      http://forums.about.com/ab-ancienthist/messages?msg=3271.1

      You may want to visit and check during the week.

      This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle

    • Jimmyjb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
        There's an O/P modern account of the Third Punic War by Brigadier General (US
        Army) Donald Armstrong, titled "The Reluctant Warriors". It was published in the
        US in 1966. Very readable if you can get a copy through library, ILL or a used
        book dealer. It's not very expensive iirc, but he covers the material well and
        does not get into scholarly quibbles. His bibliography shows he has read the
        sources, such as they are, and some academic modern accounts. Lancel's book on
        Carthage covers PW3 as well, iirc ( I lent it out to a bounder who tends to mix
        up borrowed with owned).

        Good luck.

        Jim Bloom (list lurker and shirker)

        gregyoungblood wrote:

        > Hi, Livy stops before the 3rd Punic War, and Polybius barely touches
        > on it. Does anyone know of a good account of this time period? I'm
        > looking for something readable, in the vein of these two historians,
        > not something targeted at scholars.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Greg

      • Randall Howarth
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
          Greg, there is no primary source that covers the period except in summary.
          Lazenby has a book on the war (I forget the title but it's probably....The First
          Punic War...lol) based on the scattered references and it is as good as anything
          and fairly readable too. Randall

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
            Here a response from the A/C Forum:

            Polybius is still the best source for the Third Punic War - after all, he was
            literally standing next to Scipio Aemilianus at the fall of Carthage. His
            account of the conflict (available at <A HREF="http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-punic3.html">
            http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-punic3.html</A>) can be supplemented with Appian's Libyca, the surviving
            summaries of Livy's Books 49-51, and the fragments of Book 21 of Dio Cassius,
            which add a few dramatic incidents. Inconveniently, Plutarch neglected to write a
            Life of Scipio Aemilianus, so he's less help than usual! There really isn't
            enough material on this war to fill a whole book aimed at the general reader,
            though any history of the Punic Wars will include a section on it.

            (for Dio Cassius, you can go here:
            http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/europe/ancient_rome/E/Roman/Texts/Cassius_D
            io/home.html )

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
              By the way, has your book on the Roman-Judaeo War of 66-74 been published
              yet?

              This occurred to me when I updated my webpage
              http://www.romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/l_articles.htm today.