Re: [Roman_History_Books] Looking for a good book on 170BC to 30BC

  • jeannetf@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
      I would also suggest reading Appian's Civil Wars; it is interesting to compare what he emphasizes as opposed to what Cassius Dio does (especially in the period following Caesar's assassination).

      On a related topic, a two-part miniseries movie on Julius Caesar's rise to power and assassination will premier on Turner Network Television on Sunday June 29 and Monday June 30. The trailers look interesting and there is some information on the TNT web site about the casting (Christofer Walken appears as Cato, Jeremy Sisto as Caesar, and it appears, Richard Harris in a cameo as Sulla).

      Jeanne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
        Greetings Greg,

        There's a new book out which covers just the period you're interested
        in. It's called 'Swords against the Senate' by Erik Hildinger. It's
        published by Da Capo Press. It's ISBN is 0-306-81168-5. It starts
        in 146 b.c.e. and ends with Caesar. It's a bit pricey ($26) but I
        found mine used for much less. I haven't read it yet but it looks
        quite readable.

        Best,
        Sally Winchester

        At 10:28 PM +0000 6/3/03, gregyoungblood wrote:
        >Hi, I am now near completing Polybius, and will then finish Livy
        >up through Book 45. But that only takes me up to 146BC.
        >I am looking for a good readable book that will cover up to 30BC
        >and the fall of the republic. I enjoyed Livy and Polybius - just
        >right for the very interested amateur such as myself. I also liked
        >that they were primary sources. I also enjoyed Grant's 'History of
        >Rome', but am looking for more detail. I did not enjoy Scullard -
        >more geared towards a scholar, which I am not. Any ideas?
        >
        >Along the same lines, I'll eventually reach 30BC and beyond, so
        >would be interested in any recommendations beyond that as well.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Greg

      • Randall Howarth
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
          Greg, From where you are, no single primary source can take you very far
          continue with primary sources, I recommend you read in order, Plutarch's lives of
          Marius, Sulla, Tiberius Gracchus, Gaius Gracchus, Crassus, Pompey, and Caesar.
          These all overlap somewhat and each of these is about 25 to 30 pages and most are
          easily found on the internet. Then, switch to Julius' own writings (Commentary
          on Gaul and civil war), then switch to Suetonius. This will keep you busy for
          awhile. Randall (I do this for a living)