Book suggestions sought for next reading

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2002
      It’s time to pick a new book! The last selection was a dud, I’m sorry to
      say. The reason for this was, I believe, that we were too ambitious by
      selecting a number of theme related books. Or maybe is was to early in the
      new discussion format to attempt such a selection. Anyway, there is no use
      crying over spilt milk, rather we should continue with one book at a time at
      this point in time. Two books have been suggested already, but regretfully,
      one of them is not only out of print but hard to find in the libraries as
      well, from what I have checked.

      So I start the list with the other one:

      The Eagle and the Raven

      by Pauline Gedge, 1978

      ISBN: 0770517145

      694 Pages

      The story takes place in Britannia during the 1st century A.D., as seen from
      the Celtic point of view. It’s a sprawling novel, and from what I have read
      so far—I just made it to the library—it is very imaginatively written,
      considering the fact that we don’t know much about the ancient inhabitants of
      the island.

      To that I personally would like to add:

      All Roads Lead to Murder: A Case from the Notebooks of Pliny the Younger
      by Albert Bell, 2002

      ISBN: 097130453X

      It’s the first book in a promising mystery series. The sleuth is Pliny the
      Younger, with Tacitus as his sidekick, and the story takes place in Smyrna.
      Here is my It’s the first book in a promising mystery series. The sleuth is
      Pliny the Younger, with Tacitus as his sidekick, and the story takes place in
      Smyrna. Here is my recent review: <A HREF="http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/r_murder.htm">
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/r_murder.htm</A> .

      Please add to this list by Saturday, November 16, and I will send out a poll
      for voting next week. Just remember an important caveat: any recommended book
      must be in print and/or in the public libraries.

      You may peruse my reading list too: <A HREF="http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm">
      http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/booklist1a.htm</A>

      I will post this on the reading lists and fora and hope for an enthusiastic
      response, now that it is getting towards winter and long evenings good for
      reading! <VBG>

      A Note: "The October Horse" by Colleen McCullough is not yet in the stores,
      but go pester your local library to order it soonest.
      Or you might put it on your own holiday gift wish list...

      This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle