  • neobyzantium2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      jpiccone, I agree with you. If Diogenes had won at Manzikert and hung
      on until Alexius Commmenus came to power, The Byzantines may very
      well have been all right at least for a while anyways provided they
      strengthend their armies and relied less on mercenaries and more on
      their own troops. They may even as I stated before taken the Holy Land
      (areas like Jeruselam) themselves without the help of the rest of
      Europe this preventing the establishment of the Crusader kingdoms as
      well as Constantinople being brutally sacked in 1204, what do you
      guys think? Still, I think that the Byzantines still would have lost
      their last outposts in Italy since they would clearly be tied up
      fighting the Turks. Also, even if they beat off the Turks, the
      Byzantines would still have to contend with other threats such as the
      Lombards, the Venetians, the Saraceans and the Turks(regrouped). Even
      if they staved off these groups, they would still have to deal with
      the Mongols at some point. It would have been interesting to see how
      a strong Byzantium would react to these threats, any thoughts? By
      the way, it would have been interesting to see how the Byzantine army
      at its peak in the early 1000's would have fared against the Mongols.
      The Byzantines would likely have likely inflicted heavy losses on the
      Mongol forces win or lose. Even if the Mongols reached Constantinople
      and lay siege to it, I'm convinced that the Byzantines would have
      beaten them off after a long and bloody siege since the Byzantines
      always seemed to beat off those that lay siege to Constantinople
      except in 1204 where the Crusaders captured it due to the lack of
      Byzantine naval defenses and in 1453 where the Turkish vastly
      outnumbered the Byzantine defenders, had massive bronze cannons,were
      dealing with a depleted foe, etc.