Re: alternate Byzantine scenarios....

  • sebastianbrier
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2002
      It's difficult to say what would have happened if the Byzantines had
      won at Manzikert. Andronicos Ducas and Michael Psellus would
      probably still have carried on their attempted coup, and the empire
      would have likely been involved in full scale civil war. Remember
      that Manzikert itself isn't what lost Asia Minor, it was the social,
      economic, and military collapse of the empire. This was mostly due
      to the growth of the great nobles, and Romanos was not an emperor who
      inspired great things to happen even though he was a good general.
      But, in alternate history things could be different. Maybe Romanos
      had found out about Andronicos' planned treachery and eleminated him
      early on....

      --- In RomanByzantineAltHist@y..., "neobyzantium2002"