Skip to search.

alternate Byzantine scenarios....

  • neobyzantium2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2002
      Here's a couple of questions...

      What if the Byzantines had won the Battle of Manzikert in 1071?

      I think that if this had happened, then the Byzantines wouldn't have
      had to call the rest of Europe for help in fighting the Turks, the
      Crusades as we know it wouldn't have happened, the Byzantines may
      have taken the Holy Land themselves and ruled it until at least
      Saladin's time, what do you guys think?

      What if Islam had never existed?

      As most Roman/Byzantine historians know, when the Arabs adopted the
      religion of Islam, they fought the drained Byzantine and Persian
      Empires and defeated them. They conquered large parts of the
      Byzantine Empire and totally conquered the Persians. However, what if
      Islam had never existed? I could see the Byzantines and Persians
      eventually going at it a second time. I could even see some of the
      tribes or nations of Europe trying to pick at the European holdings
      of Byzantium, what do you guys think?
    • sebastianbrier
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2002
        It's difficult to say what would have happened if the Byzantines had
        won at Manzikert. Andronicos Ducas and Michael Psellus would
        probably still have carried on their attempted coup, and the empire
        would have likely been involved in full scale civil war. Remember
        that Manzikert itself isn't what lost Asia Minor, it was the social,
        economic, and military collapse of the empire. This was mostly due
        to the growth of the great nobles, and Romanos was not an emperor who
        inspired great things to happen even though he was a good general.
        But, in alternate history things could be different. Maybe Romanos
        had found out about Andronicos' planned treachery and eleminated him
        early on....

        --- In RomanByzantineAltHist@y..., "neobyzantium2002"