    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2004

      FRIDAY 07 JANUARY 2005

      Feast of St. Raymond of Penafort, priest

      . POPE RECALLS CHILD VICTIMS OF HUNGER AND WAR
      . Pope Invites Youth to Get Ready for Cologne
      . Solidarity With Tsunami Victims Is on Pope's Mind
      . Holy Father Aims to Stay Active in 2005
      . Bishop Sgreccia Is New President of Academy for Life
      . Solidarity and Dialogue: Keys to Rebuilding Asia

      POPE RECALLS CHILD VICTIMS OF HUNGER AND WAR

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 6, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today, the solemnity of the Epiphany of Our Lord, before praying the Angelus with the crowds gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      1. "We have come to do him homage" ([cf.] Matthew 2:2). These words of the Magi, which we have heard today in the Gospel, are the theme of the next World Youth Day, which will be celebrated in Cologne. I invite the youth of Germany and your contemporaries from around the world to set out spiritually on the path toward this important city to discover in Christ, like the Magi, the face of God.

      2. The Epiphany is also the Day of Missionary Childhood. Children are the present and the future of the Church. They have an active role in the evangelization of the world, and with their prayers they contribute to save and improve it.

      While I renew my prayer for the little victims of the tsunami in Asia, I cannot forget the child victims of hunger and illnesses, of war and terrorism, as well as the children who are abducted or have disappeared or those exploited for the vile motive of trafficking.

      3. My appreciative thought goes to those committed to the defense of the smallest, in a particular way to the Pontifical Society of the Missionary Childhood.

      "Whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it" (Mark 10:15). May the Blessed Virgin Mary, who today presents Christ to the world, help us to adore him with the spirit of children.

      [After praying the Angelus, the Pope delivered this greeting:]

      To the brothers and sisters of the Eastern Churches who celebrate Christmas in these days, I send my cordial wishes for peace and joy in the Lord.

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 7, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in separate audiences:

      - Bishop Javier Echevarria Rodriguez, prelate of the personal prelature of Opus Dei.

      - Cardinal Camillo Ruini, his vicar general for the diocese of Rome and president of the Italian Episcopal Conference, accompanied by Archbishop Luigi Moretti, vice gerent of Rome.

      * * *

      Pope Invites Youth to Get Ready for Cologne

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 6, 2005 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II invited the world's young people to prepare themselves for the World Youth Day which he hopes to attend in Germany this summer.

      Before praying the Angelus with thousands of people gathered in St. Peter's Square on the solemnity of Epiphany, the Pope recalled that the next World Youth Day will have as its theme the very words of the Magi, "We have come to do him homage."

      "I invite the youth of Germany and your contemporaries from around the world to set out spiritually on the path toward this important city to discover in Christ, like the Magi, the face of God," the Holy Father said.

      John Paul II hopes to participate in World Youth Day, planned for Aug. 18-21 in Cologne, according to Bishop Renato Boccardo, organizer of papal trips.

      Organizers of the Youth Day event in Germany are expecting 800,000 to attend the closing Mass with the Pope on Aug. 21.

      * * *

      Solidarity With Tsunami Victims Is on Pope's Mind
      At 1st General Audience of Year

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 6, 2005 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II asked the faithful to unite with his prayer for the victims of the tsunami that struck southern Asia.

      The Pope observed a few moments of silence and mourning for the victims, during his general audience Wednesday in Paul VI Hall.

      It was a show of solidarity for the relief efforts launched by numerous European countries for the Dec. 26 quake-triggered catastrophe.

      Officials fear the death toll of 140,000 could double if relief aid fails to reach the survivors in time.

      In a frail voice, the Holy Father told the 7,000 pilgrims at the general audience: "Once more I ask everyone to unite with my prayer for the dead and for the populations that are going through grave difficulties."

      Within hours of the disaster, the Pope moved to mobilize the Church's spiritual and material help for the victims.

      In his address at the first general audience of 2005, John Paul II put the new year under the protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary, "marked as it is by a deep concern for the sufferings which the people of Southeast Asia are currently undergoing."

      He dedicated his brief meditation to reflect on the solemnity of the Epiphany, which is celebrated today in many countries.

      In Christ, the Pope explained, "God definitively enters history and offers salvation to men and women of all times and places."

      The feast of Epiphany celebrates a "universal dimension of salvation," he said. "The Son of God is recognized and adored by the Magi, who represent the entire human race."

      "The good news of salvation," the Pope added, "is thus intended from the very beginning for all peoples of the world."

      * * *

      Holy Father Aims to Stay Active in 2005
      Plans for World Youth Day and a Synod on the Eucharist

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 6, 2005 (Zenit.org).- Despite fragile health, John Paul II has begun the new year with the same program of celebrations and public events as last year.

      During the Christmas season the 84-year-old Pope kept up the Wednesday general audiences for thousands of the faithful. He also maintained his Angelus addresses to pilgrims on Sundays and feast days.

      This Friday the Holy Father plans to resume his ordinary schedule of audiences with dignitaries of state, bishops from around the world, aides in the Roman Curia, and pilgrims.

      This year he aims to dedicate a good part of his time welcoming bishops during their five-yearly visits to Rome. These visits will resume in the first weeks of January.

      In the spring, John Paul II will publish a new book, "Memory and Identity: Conversation Between Millenniums," on key themes of the 20th century.

      He also hopes to travel to World Youth Day in Cologne, Germany, in August.

      Bishop Renato Boccardo, organizer of papal trips and secretary of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, said that the August journey is the only trip so far confirmed for 2005, "but that does not mean there will not be others."

      In Italy, some Vatican-watchers think that John Paul II may visit the city of Bari in order to participate in the Italian National Eucharistic Congress, which takes place May 21-29.

      Cardinal Jozef Glemp, archbishop of Warsaw and primate of Poland, has said that the Pope might visit his homeland in June. Ireland's bishops already have invited the Holy Father to visit the island nation.

      In July, the Pope plans to vacation in the Italian Alps, as in previous years.

      Among the beatifications planned this year are those of Charles de Foucauld (1858-1916), a French explorer-turned-monk; Cardinal Clemens August von Galen (1878-1946), the "Lion of Muenster" who spoke out against Hitler; and 13 martyrs of the 1920s persecution in Mexico.

      A Synod of Bishops, on the Eucharist, is scheduled for Oct. 2-29. This event would close out the Year of the Eucharist.

      * * *

      Bishop Sgreccia Is New President of Academy for Life
      Sees "Plague of Abortion" Among His Top Concerns

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 6, 2005 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II has named Bishop Elio Sgreccia president of the Pontifical Academy for Life.

      The 76-year-old prelate has been vice president of the academy.

      The Pope also designated Father Ignacio Carrasco de Paula as chancellor of the academy.

      Father Carrasco, a member of Opus Dei, is a professor of bioethics in the School of Medicine at the University of the Sacred Heart in Rome and a member of the academy.

      The new chancellor post substitutes that of the vice president, under a new statute that took effect Jan. 1.

      In a message to the members and aides of the academy, Bishop Sgreccia expressed thanks to the Holy Father for his confidence.

      Bishop Sgreccia recalled the example of "rigorous fidelity to the truth and the moral commitment toward respect for life, offered by the first two [academy] presidents, professor Jerôme Lejeune and professor Juan de Dios Vial Correa."

      "I trust in the prayer of all the members of the PAV and the many who follow its work," added the bishop. He expressed his confidence in "be able to serve the cause of life in respect of the new statute and the words that might be required of us by superiors."

      After his appointment, Bishop Sgreccia told Vatican Radio that among his priorities is the "plague of abortion."

      "But there are also other new [plagues]," he said, "such as artificial procreation, cloning, the abuse of human life and of children, and euthanasia."

      "We always have hope that … one can reaffirm the right to life, the recognition of dignity, and the welcoming of the sick and dying," the prelate said.

      John Paul II established the Pontifical Academy for Life in 1994. The academy currently has 51 members, who have expertise in various fields of biomedicine or in the disciplines related to the promotion and defense of life.

      The central office of the Vatican-based academy has relocated to Via della Conciliazione 1 (00193 Rome).

      * * *

      Solidarity and Dialogue: Keys to Rebuilding Asia
      Catastrophe Could "Generate a New Culture," Says Vatican Official

      ROME, JAN. 6, 2005 (Zenit.org).- A global response of solidarity and interreligious dialogue are seen as keys to the reconstruction of countries hard hit by the Dec. 26 tsunami.

      Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and India were the hardest hit by the tsunami, which was triggered by a powerful earthquake off the coast of Sumatra. Malaysia, Burma, Maldives, Bangladesh, Somalia, Tanzania and Kenya also suffered the consequences of the killer wave.

      Press estimates put the death toll at 140,000, though observers fear that another 150,000 could die if aid doesn't reach them in time.

      When he learned of the tragedy, John Paul II sent a shipment of aid by way of his humanitarian aid agency, the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum."

      Donations can be sent to:

      Pontifical Council Cor Unum
      C.P. 603035
      00120 Vatican City

      Checks should include "Asian emergency" on the memo line.

      Bishop Elio Sgreccia, the newly named president of the Pontifical Academy for Life, said that the defense of life in the devastated areas would depend in part on the triumph of solidarity.

      "The only beautiful sign that is seen in this moment is the surge in feelings of solidarity, which brings help from all parts of the world," he told Vatican Radio. "This can certainly generate a new culture. It can generate a way of being and helping."

      Father Bernardo Cervellera, an expert on Asia and a member of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions, said: "I find that this tragedy, so globalized from the point of view of the victims as well as from the point of view of the perception, is making solidarity more globalized too."

      The director of AsiaNews noted that many experts say the tsunami will not cause major economic disruptions. Yet he warned: "The problem is that an immense humanitarian disaster exists."

      "The tsunami has affected many children," he said. "A generation is lost, and it will create a humanitarian difficulty even more strong."

      The disaster also concerns "the poor, because most of the death and most of the destruction occurred among fishing families, in their homes, in boats," Father Cervellera said.

      "These naturally do not impact much of the gross domestic product of a nation. But it's about a subsistence economy that, in fact, has been wiped out," he added. These "are the people after all who will have to be helped."

      Missionaries and volunteers in Southeast Asia agree that international adoptions are not the solution for the many children who were left orphans by the tsunami.

      That would deprive the countries of their children, and the youngsters themselves would suffer a "second abandonment" by losing their own environment and customs, the Fides agency said. It is preferable to assist the children in their own country, helping "from a distance," the agency added.

      Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Holy See's permanent observers to the United Nations in Geneva, told Vatican Radio that this "is the moment that requires the commitment of all of civil society, and therefore also of the churches, in particular the Catholic Church."

      He continued: "All that has been done by the local churches, by the dioceses which have been mobilized, by the bishops' conferences and Catholic organizations in all the world, has shown the sense of solidarity that inspires Christians is not only a simple abstraction, but rather is translated into a concrete and immediate action that brings visible and efficient help in this moment of enormous tragedy."

      The witness of many missionaries in the front line of the catastrophe has also awakened interreligious dialogue, especially with Islam, which is fundamental for reconstruction efforts in Southeast Asia.

      To cite one example, Father Vincenzo Baravalle, provincial superior of the Xaverian Missionary Fathers in Indonesia, told the Missionary Service News Agency: "The province of Aceh, in the north of Sumatra, is a very observant Muslim zone, and some the most radical extremists could misinterpret our work." About 100,000 people are estimated to have died in the region from the tsunami.

      "In no way do we want to take a risk so that someone thinks the Church wants to take advantage of the situation in order to extend its presence," he said. Thus, "it requires a lot of delicacy."

      On returning from Aceh, the apostolic nuncio, Archbishop Albert Ranjith Patabendige Don, told Vatican Radio: "There are many Muslims, and governmental and nongovernmental organizations are trying to do what they can.

      "The Catholic Church is looking to work with these groups and do what is possible through the help it receives from Caritas as well as from the dioceses. Also, the Holy See has sent us help through 'Cor Unum' and 'Propaganda Fide.'"

      More than 17,000 islands make up Indonesia, and 90% of the country's 220 million inhabitants are Muslim. Christians represent about 13% of the population, including 6 million Catholics.

      CHAPTER SIX: LECTIO IN CONTEXT (Continued)

      5. Centering Prayer

      After focusing on a word or phrase from Sacred Scripture from our lectio we intensify its presence within us in meditatio, pouring out our heart in oratio, and rest there within our heart's center in contemplatio.

      Centering Prayer is very similar to lectio divina with its progressive structure of listening, responding and resting with the Divine Word. Unlike lectio in Centering Prayer we litteraly take a word, a single word, that is. We pick a solitary word that has specific meaning to us, one that touches us deep within. Examples include simple single syllable words like "God" or "love" and so on. Once you select your word you keep it, not just for the day as we do in lectio, but rather, we keep this single word throughout our lives. Unlike lectio it is a single word rather than a verse or phrase. The word we select, according to Fr. Thomas Keating: "It is a symbol of our intention to consent to God's presence and action in us." (68). Unlike lectio Centering Prayer also employs the word differently. In lectio in our ever changing contextual situation it grows in our mind and heart throughout the day taking on significant meaning by effectuating change in our mind, heart and behavior. Whereas, in Centering Prayer the word invites us to rest quietly at the center of our being.

      Through the first millennium of the Catholic Church these two dynamic methods of contemplatio were taught. Lectio completes itself in contemplatio after passing through the progressive steps: lectio, meditatio, oratio. Centering Prayer is transcendental prayer, that is, it is a technique the soul learnes through a very long period of time through repetition to arrive at its desired point instantly. After having grown with your significant word over time the soul can enter the center by merely thinking the word.

      Rev. M. Basil Pennington, OCSO, Lectio Divina. Renewing the Ancient
      Practice of Praying the Scriptures. (Crossroad, NY, 1998) ISBN 0-8245-
      1779-2 (hardcover); ISBN 0-8245-1736-9 (paperback).

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OFMARY