    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2004

      MONDAY 15 November 2004

      . THANKSGIVING IS FULLY EXPRESSED IN THE EUCHARIST
      . I AM CLOSE TO DEAR PEOPLE OF IRAQ, POPE TELLS NEW AMBASSADOR
      . RELIGIOUS OF ST. ELIZABETH: BEAR WITNESS TO GOD'S MERCY

      THANKSGIVING IS FULLY EXPRESSED IN THE EUCHARIST

      VATICAN CITY, NOV 14, 2004 (VIS) - Thanksgiving was the focus of reflections made today by Pope John Paul prior to praying the Angelus with the faithful gathered in St. Peter's Square below his study window.

      He noted that Italy "is celebrating a Day of Thanksgiving to God for the fruits of the earth harvested during the year. The principal celebration is taking place in Genoa which was chosen this year as 'the European capital of culture'. I gladly join the prayers of the Genoa ecclesial community and of all who work in various ways in the agricultural sector."

      "For us Christians," said the Holy Father, "thanksgiving is fully expressed in the Eucharist. In every holy Mass, we bless the Lord, God of the universe, presenting Him with bread and wine, 'fruits of the earth and the work of human hands'. To these simple foods Christ bound His sacrificial oblation. United to Him, believers also are called to offer God their lives and their daily work."

      The Pope closed by asking "Mary, Mother of Divine Providence, to teach us to be grateful to the Lord for all that nature and human labor produce for our sustenance, to make us ready to share our resources with those in need."

      * * *

      I AM CLOSE TO DEAR PEOPLE OF IRAQ, POPE TELLS NEW AMBASSADOR

      VATICAN CITY, NOV 15, 2004 (VIS) - The Holy Father this morning received the Letters of Credence of Albert Edward Ismail Yelda, the ambassador from the Republic of Iraq to the Holy See: He told him he had been following events in Iraq through the presence of the apostolic nuncio and he asked the ambassador to assure the Iraqi people "of my ongoing concern for the many victims of terrorism and violence."

      "Your ancient culture has been described as the 'cradle of civilization' and has boasted the presence of Christians since the beginning of Christianity itself," said the Pope in English. "Indeed, it has been a fine example of the many ways in which the adherents of different religions can live in peace and harmony."

      He told the ambassador - who speaks Arabic, English, Assyrian, Aramaic and Hebrew - that essential to protecting the dignity of every human person, to which the diplomat had referred in his address, "is the rule of law as an integral element of government. Preserving this fundamental principle is basic for any modern society that truly seeks to safeguard and promote the common good. ... It is my hope that the Iraqi people will continue to promote their long tradition of tolerance, always recognizing the right to freedom of worship and religious instruction. Once these fundamental rights are protected by ordinary legislation and become an enduring part of the living fabric of society, they will enable all citizens, regardless of religious belief or affiliation, to make their proper contribution to the building up of Iraq."

      John Paul II assured the ambassador that "the entire Catholic Church, and in a special way the Chaldean Christians present in your country since the time of the Apostles, is committed to assisting your people in constructing a more peaceful and stable nation."

      "Iraq is currently in the throes of the difficult process of transition from a totalitarian regime to the formation of a democratic State in which the dignity of each person is respected and all citizens enjoy equal rights," noted the Pope. "As you prepare your people to undertake the task of freely electing the men and women who will lead the Iraq of tomorrow, I encourage the current government in its efforts to make certain that these elections are fair and transparent giving all eligible citizens an equal opportunity in this democratic right which they are encouraged to exercise."

      The Holy Father, noting "the struggle to overcome the challenges brought about by poverty, unemployment and violence currently faced by Iraq, said: "May your government work untiringly to settle disputes and conflicts through dialogue and negotiation, having recourse to military force only as a last resort."

      "Accordingly," he concluded, "it is essential that the State, with the assistance of the international community, promote mutual understanding and tolerance among its various ethnic and religious groups" to "create an environment ... committed to justice and peace" and "capable of sustaining the necessary economic growth and development integral for the well-being of your citizens and the country itself."

      Diplomatic relations were established between the Holy See and Iraq on August 27, 1966. The apostolic nunziature was opened on October 14 that same year.

      * * *

      RELIGIOUS OF ST. ELIZABETH: BEAR WITNESS TO GOD'S MERCY

      VATICAN CITY, NOV 15, 2004 (VIS) - This morning the Holy Father received participants in the general chapter of the Congregation of St. Elizabeth, along with the new superior general, Mother Samuela Werbinska.

      John Paul told the religious that their founders, Clara Wolf, Matilde and Maria Merkert and Francesca Werner, inspired by the example of St. Elizabeth of Hungary, patroness of the congregation, "were completely dedicated to the poor and needy, while contemplating the Redeemer's face. Since then, the mid-1800s, your institute has grown notably and today it looks to the future confidently, as you expand to different regions of the world."

      After recalling the general chapter's theme, "Duc in altum," the Pope said: "Your apostolate will be much more effective if you stay close to your charismatic roots. ... While cultivating an intense prayer life and listening to God, it will be easier for you to ensure not only material help but also spiritual consolation to your brothers and sisters in need."

      In order "to respond with 'creative fidelity' to the challenges of modern society," he concluded, "we must start again from Christ and bear witness, in a simple and concrete way, to His merciful love for everyone, especially those on the margins of society, who are 'defeated' by life."

      VATICAN CITY, NOV 15, 2004 (VIS) - Today the Holy Father received in separate audiences:

      - Cardinal Lubomyr Husar, major archbishop of Lviv of the Ukrainians, Ukraine.

      - Archbishop Brendan Michael O'Brian of Saint John Newfoundland, Canada, president of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, accompanied by Archbishop Andre Gaumond, of Sherbrooke and by Msgr. Mario Paquete, respectively vice-president and secretary of the same conference.

      - Bishop Cyryl Klimowicz of St. Joseph in Irkutsk, Russia.

      - Stanislaw Wilk, new rector of the Catholic University in Lublin, Poland.

      On Saturday, November 13, he received in separate audiences:

      - Dermot Ahern, minister of Foreign Affairs for Ireland, with his wife and an entourage.

      - Archbishop Vsevolod of Scopelos of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine in the United States.

      - Cardinal Crescenzio Sepe, prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.

      CHAPTER ONE: THIS WORD LECTIO (Continued)

      3. Openess

      Fr. Pennington begins his discussion with a warning. This warning regards our being jaded by familiarity with scripture that says: "I've heard all of this before." He goes on to tell us, "It is precisely the alert listening for a Real Presence---our openess to all that is possible in this moment---that forestalls this. I am not simply reading a book I have read so often before. I am meeting a Person, a Divine Person, the God who loves me and who has a wondrous plan for me." (page 7).

      Concomitant with this openess is the "shock," as he calls it, in the realization that the entire Bible including all of the Old Testament is for Christians. Through prayerful reading we learn of the Divine Mercy in God revealing himself and his love to "a very primitive people" in antiquity. "No matter what the words are that we read as communications of his love, or how many times we have encountered them before, there is an opportunity for the love to expand and at the same time fill our listening for the Divine each and every time we meet our God of love in our lectio." (page 8).

      Rev. M. Basil Pennington, OCSO, Lectio Divina. Renewing the Ancient
      Practice of Praying the Scriptures. (Crossroad, NY, 1998) ISBN 0-8245-
      1779-2 (hardcover); ISBN 0-8245-1736-9 (paperback).

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OFMARY