  • montana_morning_star
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004

      WEDNESDAY 1 SEPTEMBER 2004

      St. Giles

      (d. 710?)

      . Return of Icon of Kazan Encourages Reconciliation
      . Catholic Action Looking Towards the Future
      . Catholic Action is a "Way of Holiness" for Laity
      . Pope Participates in International Meeting of Catholic Action
      . Responsibility of U.S. Catholic Voters and Candidates in Upcoming
      Elections
      . Homilies While Walking?

      Return of Icon of Kazan Encourages Reconciliation
      Patriarch Alexy II Sends Letter of Gratitude to Pope

      MOSCOW, AUG. 31, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The gesture of returning the
      Icon of the Mother of God to Russia is one that encourages
      reconciliation, said Patriarch Alexy II in a message of gratitude to
      John Paul II.

      Cardinal Walter Kasper, head of the Vatican delegation formed by the
      Holy Father for the purpose of returning the icon to Russia,
      fulfilled the Pope's mandate on Saturday in a solemn liturgy held
      in
      the Cathedral of the Dormition in the Kremlin.

      "The transfer of this holy icon, brought over by your envoys, is
      seen by the Plentitude of the Russian Orthodox Church as both an act
      of the restoration of justice and an act of good will on the part of
      Your Holiness," the Russian patriarch stated in his letter,
      published on Tuesday by the Vatican press office.

      The image, considered among the most precious by the Russian
      Orthodox, was given to John Paul II in 1993. The Blue Army, a
      Catholic organization dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima, had acquired
      the image from an auction and in turn gave it to the Holy Father.

      "I believe that your decision to hand over the icon points to the
      sincere desire to overcome the difficulties existing in relations
      between our two Churches," the patriarch acknowledged.

      "May this event become our common contribution to the overcoming of
      negative consequences of the 20th century history, marked with
      persecution against the faith of Christ unprecedented in scale," the
      patriarchal letter continued.

      The love that both Catholics and Orthodox feel for the Mother of
      God "brings us back to the times of the early Church when there were
      no divisions between East and West so visible, regretfully, in our
      days," the patriarch added.

      "The Russian Orthodox Church, always, even in her most difficult
      moments in her relations with the Roman Catholic Church, has
      invariably stated her willingness to develop these relations in the
      spirit of sincere cooperation," Alexy II wrote.

      "We see in the transfer of the Kazan icon a step in the right
      direction in the belief that in the future everything that is
      possible will be done to settle certain problems standing between
      our Churches," he continued.

      The patriarch believes that the "preaching of Christian values to
      the secularized society will be successful only if all Christians
      fulfill the Savior's commandment of love."

      "Openness in relations among Christians of various confessions
      presupposes respect for one another, knowledge of their common
      history, and sensitivity in carrying out any actions in territories
      where another Christian tradition has existed for centuries," he
      said.

      * * *

      Catholic Action Looking Towards the Future
      Contemplates Growth in U.S.

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 31, 2004 (Zenit.org).- "'Duc in altum' Catholic
      Action, Have the Courage of the Future!" is the theme of the 1st
      International Congress on Catholic Action held to relaunch the
      parish-based Catholic institution.

      Italian Catholic Action is organizing the congress, which will be
      held in Rome and Loreto from Aug.31-Sept. 5, in cooperation with the
      Pontifical Council for the Laity, headed by Archbishop Stanislaw
      Rylko.

      When presenting the event on Tuesday, the archbishop said that "the
      moment has arrived to relaunch Catholic Action." Speaking in the
      Vatican press office, Archbishop Rylko highlighted Catholic Action's
      progress in recent years in the dialogue with the world and society,
      adding that the Pope "is a great friend of Catholic Action."

      Bishop Francesco Lambiasi, general assistant of Italian Catholic
      Action, said that "Catholic Action is a protagonist of this new
      spring in the Church," and that at present it is experiencing
      a "rebirth" and a "return to the sources and the initial charism."

      Bishop Lambiasi explained that the congress and pilgrimage to Loreto
      will focus on the place to where it is traditionally believed that
      the Holy House of the Virgin Mary was transported from Nazareth in
      1294. Catholic Action is going there "to listen to Mary, meet Peter,
      to come together again as an association, and to communicate with
      society."

      "Mary serves to anchor God on earth: without her, Christianity would
      be disincarnated and would be an ideology. Ideas do not have need of
      a mother. Believers, on the other hand, do," he said.

      "Catholic Action was born with an indispensable reference to the
      Pope," the bishop stressed, adding that "Catholic Action needs the
      Church and the Pope, just as the Church needs Catholic Action."

      The Loreto meeting is intended to be "a great family experience,"
      a "unitary event, not of a tendency but of Catholic Action in its
      totality," Bishop Lambiasi explained.

      Moreover, Beatriz Buzzetti Thomson, coordinator of International
      Forum Catholic Action (IFCA) said in her address delivered in
      Spanish, that the "Holy Father's magisterium has pointed out in a
      particular way the charism of Catholic Action as a gift of the Holy
      Spirit to the Church of the third millennium."

      Thomson reported that it is not present in some countries as an
      institution, such as in the United States. She mentioned that the
      U.S. bishops conference is interested "in starting Catholic Action
      groups at the national level."

      At present, Thomson continued, there are groups in California that
      were established by immigrants who belonged to Catholic Action in
      their own countries.

      Other countries that do not have organized groups of Catholic
      Action, but do have individuals or small groups of interested
      individuals, include Sierra Leone and Albania. There are also
      delegations of youth from Toronto, Canada, and Cologne, Germany,
      locations of the last and next World Youth Days, respectively.

      Catholic Action dates back to 1867, the year when two youths
      established the Italian Catholic Youth Society, adopting as their
      program the motto "Prayer, Action, Sacrifice." Pope Pius IX approved
      the association in 1868. It was established with its present name
      and structure by Pope Pius XI in 1931.

      * * *

      Catholic Action is a "Way of Holiness" for Laity
      Pope's Trip to Loreto Is the Only One Scheduled in Italy This Year

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 31, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Paola Bignardi, president
      of Italian Catholic Action, emphasized John Paul II's "delicacy and
      affection toward Catholic Action" when speaking of his participation
      in their upcoming pilgrimage to Loreto.

      Speaking to the Vatican press office on Tuesday, Bignardi said
      that "the Holy Father gives us a great gift with his presence in
      Loreto, his only trip in Italy during this year." The visit will be
      a culmination of the 1st International Congress on Catholic Action
      and will take place on Sept. 5.

      "Catholic Action's future is holiness," Bignardi added, when
      explaining the reason for the Bishop of Rome's beatification of
      three persons whose lives were profoundly linked to Catholic Action:
      Alberto Marvelli, Pina Suriano, and Pere Tarres i Claret. Catholic
      Action already has more than 60 saints and blessed.

      Paola Bignardi pointed out that Catholic Action's aim is to live the
      lay state "as a vocation," and stressed the link of this vocation
      with holiness. "We are called to be men and women of God in the
      world and this is why we undertake the ways of holiness," she said.

      Pope Paul VI described Catholic Action as a "way of holiness."

      In his words, "the charism of Catholic Action is a gift for the
      universal Church" and a "prophetic sign of the unity of the Church."

      * * *

      Pope Participates in International Meeting of Catholic Action
      The Pilgrimage in Numbers

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 31, 2004 (Zenit.org).- With his apostolic visit
      to the Marian shrine of Loreto, Italy, John Paul II will participate
      in the first worldwide meeting of Catholic Action since Vatican
      Council II.

      Paola Bignardi, president of Italian Catholic Action, said on
      Tuesday to the Vatican press office that they expect 100,000 people
      for the closing events.

      The Holy Father will be accompanied by 177 cardinals and bishops,
      and 1,450 celebrant priests. The chorus and orchestra total 220
      members, while 1,000 volunteers are responsible for the
      organization.

      Among other "curiosities," Bignardi said that one million bottles of
      water will be distributed among the participants.

      Five thousand families have been invited to Catholic Action's
      meeting, which will host 180 events in 105 zones of the Italian
      region of Marche, which will receive the pilgrims.

      The organization will furnish 250,000 backpacks filled with
      materials and food, advertise with 16,000 posters and publish
      700,000 copies of a special edition of the magazine "Loreto."

      Over 2,000 buses and 15 trains will take 70,000 people to Loreto.
      According to tradition, the shrine, near the Italian Adriatic coast,
      houses the Holy House of the Virgin Mary, transported from Nazareth
      in 1294.

      Catholic Action is present in Italy in 8,000 parishes. Its
      membership includes 180,000 adults, 80,000 youths and 150,000
      children.

      * * *

      Responsibility of U.S. Catholic Voters and Candidates in Upcoming
      Elections
      Interview with Cardinal Theodore McCarrick

      NEW YORK, AUG. 31, 2004 (Zenit.org).- "Freedom of conscience, but
      only after informing oneself in depth on the teachings of the
      Church," is a formula that should guide the political decisions of
      Catholics, explained Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, archbishop of
      Washington.

      The U.S. electorate, about one quarter of which is Catholic, will
      vote for a new president in November. Without showing favoritism to
      any one candidate, the USCCB Task Force on Catholic Bishops and
      Catholic Politicians, of which Cardinal McCarrick is the head, has
      given guidelines to help the faithful in their "moral duty" to be
      responsible, as the cardinal explained in an interview with the
      Italian newspaper Avvenire.

      Q: In a bipartisan system, such as that of the United States, it is
      very difficult for a candidate's programmatic platform to satisfy
      every element of Catholic social doctrine. How must a Catholic
      conduct himself in face of two necessarily imperfect candidates?

      Cardinal McCarrick: To find the ideal candidate it is not only
      difficult but impossible. We tell the faithful, however, with
      clarity that it is always important to continue supporting the
      principles that define Catholic morality and to keep them alive in
      the candidates' conscience as well as in that of the voters
      themselves. We wish to make it understood that as pastors we are
      profoundly involved and interested in the country's public life.

      Q: What pointers do you give as bishops to American Catholics who
      are preparing to vote in November?

      Cardinal McCarrick: The premise is that the bishops do not favor one
      candidate over the other. We do not want to enter directly into
      political decisions. What we do is to indicate Catholic social
      doctrine and the documents on the relationship between public life
      and Catholicism published by the Holy See, and to present to the
      faithful the criteria that must guide a Catholic's political
      options. The underlying idea is that to be a responsible citizen is
      a virtue and to participate in the political and electoral process
      is a moral duty.

      Q: What, then, are the principles that a Catholic must put in first
      place when making a political decision?

      Cardinal McCarrick: First is respect for life. This must be the
      foundation of every discussion and political decision. But it is not
      the only value of reference. Catholic doctrine also indicates as
      necessary a responsible policy in regard to questions linked to
      peace, social justice and aid to the poor. We seek to communicate to
      the faithful that responsible citizenship means to know these topics
      and to safeguard them. We also say that every decision must be made
      in freedom of conscience, but only after informing oneself in depth
      on the teachings of the Church.

      Q: In recent months more than one American bishop has spoken,
      publicly or in the episcopal conference, of the possibility of not
      offering the Eucharist to candidates who profess themselves
      Catholics, as John Kerry, but support the right to abortion. The
      documents of the U.S. bishops from a recent assembly in Colorado
      seem to be cautious on the matter. What is the conclusion of the
      task force you head?

      Cardinal McCarrick: We are still working on the question, but for
      the time being the decision is left to each bishop, who knows better
      than anyone else the circumstances that are verified in his diocese,
      as well as the commitment and action of local politicians. We have
      complete confidence in the fact that each one of them will be able
      to make the right decision. But we have made all the bishops note
      that, as the episcopal conference, we want to avoid the inflaming
      instrumentalization of a political character of the Eucharist and
      that the altar is not the appropriate place for battles that can and
      must be fought in other places.

      Q: What is the function of the Task Force on Catholic Bishops and
      Catholic Politicians?

      Cardinal McCarrick: The objective of our work is to dialogue and
      educate. We then seek the best way to place ourselves in relation
      with the Catholic politicians of both parties, and we try to keep
      the dialogue open with all. We want to explain to them which are the
      important topics for a Catholic and why. And we remind them that
      even in respect of their freedom of conscience, if they act in
      disaccord with Catholic doctrine, they must not, in conscience,
      approach the altar to receive Communion.

      Q: Last week, you and other American cardinals participated in a
      congress of the Knights of Columbus association in which George W.
      Bush also participated. The U.S. press has interpreted it as an
      implicit support of the president's election. What is your response?

      Cardinal McCarrick: I responded to the invitation of an association
      that is very active in all U.S. dioceses and contributes enormously
      to vocations and to the charitable activity of U.S. Catholics. It is
      the major Catholic association of the United States and by tradition
      it always invites the U.S. bishops and cardinals to its annual
      assembly, which I, for example, never miss. No one, including
      myself, went in honor of the president, but for a profitable day of
      meetings and work.

      Q: The most absurd interpretations of the behavior of members of the
      Church in the United States are the order of the day in the
      electoral campaign. Do they disturb you? Do you think that they can
      be avoided?

      Cardinal McCarrick: Instrumentalization and misunderstandings are
      always possible, and it is very difficult to avoid them. Especially
      if a pastor lives and works in the district as I do, he is even more
      involved in national political life and is even more exposed to the
      attention of the media. It is important to know how to deal with
      these situations without fomenting scandal, and the task force I
      head offers the bishops many suggestions in this respect.

      The main thing is to always have an open dialogue with all, even at
      the risk of misunderstandings. I have found myself more than
      once "in problems," so to speak, for being ready to meet with
      everyone and talk with everyone, but I intend to continue to do so.
      The example of the Holy Father in this regard is clear and I will
      always try to follow him.

      * * *

      Homilies While Walking?
      And More on Holy Communion for Non-Catholics

      ROME, AUG. 31, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Answered by Father Edward
      McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical
      University.

      Q: During the homily after the Gospel, is the priest allowed to walk
      down the aisle while preaching? -- R.F., Bombay, India.

      A: The General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) is rather
      sparse regarding this point.

      No. 136 says: "The priest, standing at the chair or at the ambo
      itself or, when appropriate, in another suitable place, gives the
      homily. When the homily is completed, a period of silence may be
      observed."

      It would probably be an excess of legalism to interpret "standing"
      as meaning necessarily immobile or fixed in one place.

      The reason for mentioning "standing" is far more likely to
      distinguish the priest's posture from that of a bishop, who may
      preach while seated in his cathedra, or throne.

      Preaching while seated symbolizes the bishop's role as teacher and
      guide of his people. This was the customary posture of teachers
      since ancient times.

      While perhaps the GIRM does not strictly forbid moving around while
      preaching the homily, it certainly indicates a preference on the
      part of the Church that the homily be preached from a stable
      position.

      I personally do not favor the practice of wandering around while
      preaching the homily, as it can give rise to theatrics that distract
      from the message. Such theatrics are often inappropriate in the
      context of the entire celebration as there is a danger of converting
      the Mass into a kind of show.

      Thus once the homily is over it may be difficult for the people to
      recover their recollection and prepare themselves to participate in
      the sacrifice.

      However, I don't want to make categorical statements on this point.
      Some priests have particular talents in this regard and use such
      methods to great spiritual effect, especially in Masses for young
      people.

      This method may also be used while preaching outside Mass, such as
      during retreats.

      When preparing a homily, a priest must also consider the most
      effective mode of delivery. And he should remember that his first
      and foremost duty is to present Christ's message.

      Getting the message across to the best of his ability has to be his
      priority.

      If his oratorical resources tend to draw attention away from the
      message and toward his personality, then in some way he is not
      completely fulfilling his mission.

      * * *

      Follow-up: Eucharist for Non-Catholics

      Pursuant to our reply regarding holy Communion for Protestants (see
      Aug. 17), a reader from Toronto asked about the matter vis-à-vis
      the
      members of the Orthodox and other Eastern Churches. Likewise,
      another reader asked at what Eastern-rite Churches a Catholic may
      receive Communion.

      The rules for Eastern Orthodox and other Eastern Christians are
      different from that for Protestants, since the Catholic Church
      recognizes the validity of Orthodox and Eastern priesthood and the
      common faith in the sacraments.

      For this reason the Catholic Church admits them to Communion if they
      are unable to assist at their own liturgy.

      As stated by No. 25 of the Ecumenical Directory: "Catholic ministers
      may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist and the
      anointing of the sick to members of the Eastern Churches, who ask
      for these sacraments of their own free will and are properly
      disposed."

      Some Eastern Churches, however, discourage their members from
      availing of this possibility. The Ecumenical Directory asks
      that "due consideration should be given to the discipline of the
      Eastern Churches for their own faithful and any suggestion of
      proselytism should be avoided."

      Any Catholic may participate in the Eucharist of any Catholic
      Eastern Church.

      Of those Eastern Churches not in communion with the Holy See, the
      directory says in No. 123: "Whenever necessity requires or a genuine
      spiritual advantage suggests, and provided that the danger of error
      or indifferentism is avoided, it is lawful for any Catholic for whom
      it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic
      minister, to receive the sacraments of penance, Eucharist and
      anointing of the sick from a minister of an Eastern Church."

      This means that there must be a good motive and not done out of
      curiosity or desire for variety. It would not usually be
      permissible, for example, for a Catholic to attend a non-Catholic
      Eastern rite if there were a Catholic church readily available.

      The directory also admonishes Catholics to be careful about not
      offending the sensibilities of our fellow Christians, for charity
      must always be the supreme law.

      "Since practice differs between Catholics and Eastern Christians in
      the matter of frequent communion, confession before communion and
      the Eucharistic fast," No. 124 states, "care must be taken to avoid
      scandal and suspicion among Eastern Christians through Catholics not
      following the Eastern usage. A Catholic who legitimately wishes to
      communicate with Eastern Christians must respect the Eastern
      discipline as much as possible and refrain from communicating if
      that Church restricts sacramental communion to its own members to
      the exclusion of others."

      available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer

      well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing
      prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed
      the

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession
      of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about
      the

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language=EN>

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions
      will

      below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by
      date;

      specified