  • montana_morning_star
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2004

      TUESDAY 31 AUGUST 2004

      Sts. Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus

      . Pope Joins in Celebration of Disciple of St. Philip Neri
      . New President for Commission of Sacred Archeology
      . Founder of Communion and Liberation Thanks Pope for Support
      . French Bishops Calls Kidnapping of Journalists in
      Iraq "Intolerable Blackmail"
      . Modern Man Continues to Search for God
      . The Personal Example of the Parish Priest is What Attracts
      Vocations
      . CATHOLIC DEFENDANT FILES UNPRECEDENTED CHALLENGE TO "NO-FAULT"
      DIVORCE
      . EWTN Host/Author to Speak in Kentucky

      Pope Joins in Celebration of Disciple of St. Philip Neri
      Marks 400 Years Since Death of Blessed

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 30, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II put forward
      as an "example of holiness to the men of our time" the person
      of
      Blessed Giovanni Giovenale Ancina.

      Celebrating the 4th centenary of the death of the blessed, Cardinal
      Angelo Sodano, Vatican secretary of state, sent a letter on behalf
      of the Holy Father to Bishop Giuseppe Guerrini of Saluzzo, Italy.

      Blessed Ancina, a native of Fossano, was born on October 19, 1545.
      He arrived in Rome in 1574, where he came into contact with teachers
      such as St. Robert Bellarmine who helped him to acquire extensive
      theological knowledge and cultivate his literary and musical
      talents.

      He met St. Philip Neri in 1576, who Cardinal Sodano said "first
      enlightened his mind and later warmed his heart." The meeting led
      him to request admission to the Congregation of the Oratory of St.
      Philip Neri, within which he developed his ministry as "esteemed and
      appreciated preacher, confessor, and theologian," said the cardinal.

      Ten years later St. Philip Neri invited then Father Ancina to Naples
      as rector of the Oratory school. In that city, he became a "promoter
      of several pastoral and cultural activities," eliciting "the
      affection of the people," the cardinal stated.

      He was consecrated bishop in 1602, and during his brief episcopate
      in Saluzzo he convoked the diocesan synod, established the Seminary
      and initiated pastoral visits, "faithfully applying the dispositions
      of the Council of Trent" with "humility and fortitude."

      Despite the "enormous quantity of work" he did every day, it was not
      to the detriment of his prayer "to which he dedicated much time"
      spending "hours in adoration before the Most Blessed Sacrament,"
      Cardinal Sodano emphasized.

      His sudden death on Aug. 30, 1604, "put an end to his intense
      activity for the reform of the Christian clergy, religious, and
      laity."

      Uniting himself to the thanksgiving of the Saluzzo diocese and the
      Oratorian Family for the life of Blessed Giovanni Giovenale Ancina,
      the Holy Father expressed in the letter the desire that "the
      anniversary of the entry into eternity of such an illustrious pastor
      and worthy disciple of St. Philip Neri may give the clergy,
      religious, and faithful the opportunity to relive the commitment to
      personal improvement and tireless apostolic dedication."

      * * *

      New President for Commission of Sacred Archeology
      Bishop Mauro Piacenza

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 30, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II accepted the
      resignation of Cardinal Francesco Marchisano as president of the
      Pontifical Commission for Sacred Archeology and named as his
      successor Bishop Mauro Piacenza.

      The Holy See confirmed on Saturday the nomination of Bishop
      Piacenza, former president of the Pontifical Commission for the
      Cultural Goods of the Church.

      The Commission of Sacred Archeology was instituted by Pius IX "to
      guard the ancient sacred cemeteries," to conserve, explore, carry
      out research and studies, and to protect the oldest memories "of the
      first Christian centuries, the famous monuments" and the basilicas
      on Roman soil and in the other dioceses in accord with their
      respective bishops.

      The commission was created at the suggestion of Giovanni Battista de
      Rossi, a Roman archeologist, to improve the organization of
      excavations and restorations, and the safeguarding of the great
      complex of catacombs which was coming to light on the Appian Way.

      Rossi contributed to the scientific basis of Christian archeology,
      studying and excavating the Roman catacombs, according to a modern
      topographic method which takes into consideration simultaneously the
      historical sources and monuments.

      The commission was declared pontifical in 1925 by Pius XI. The
      Lateran Pacts extended its competencies and realm of action and
      study to all the existing catacombs on the Italian territory.

      No places entrusted to the pontifical commission can be modified
      without its permission. It directs all work carried out in places
      under its jurisdiction and publishes the results, establishes the
      norms for access to the sacred cemeteries by the public and
      scholars, and indicates which crypts and with what caution they can
      be used for the liturgy.

      The Pontifical Commission for Sacred Archeology has its headquarters
      in the Pontifical Institute of Christian Archeology in Rome. For
      more information contact the commission via e-mail:
      pcomm.arch@....

      * * *

      Founder of Communion and Liberation Thanks Pope for Support
      Closes 25th Meeting of the Friendship of Peoples

      RIMINI, Italy, AUG. 30, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Msgr. Luigi Giussani,
      founder of Communion and Liberation, expressed his heartfelt
      gratitude to John Paul II for his message and show of support.

      Reflecting on the meeting's theme, John Paul II sent the
      participants a message in which he stressed that "humility before
      the grandeur and mystery of creation can save man from the harmful
      consequences of his own arrogance" when he "erects himself as the
      arbiter of good and evil" in the name of progress.

      The 25th Meeting for Friendship Among Peoples had as its theme "Our
      progress does not consist in presuming that we have arrived, but in
      tending continually towards the goal."

      Monsignor Giussani said that the Holy Father's message "tells us,
      in
      an surprising and exemplary manner, the toil entailed in the work of
      educating the people of God as a work of love for man, and as the
      concern of a father for his only son."

      "A father ready to intervene in every social manifestation in which
      indifference can lead a dangerous neglect in its inevitable
      contrasts, more or less turbulent, and to remember that in the
      evolution of time, in each moment, the plan of another is respected:
      as that of a father and a mother toward a son," he added in his
      final greeting, read by Emilia Guarnieri, president of the Rimini
      meeting association.

      "Your Holiness, thank you because the emotion you evoke tells every
      man of reflection that it is not useless to aspire and to tend to a
      presence," the founder said to the Pope.

      "Each one of us has the intention at this moment to transform
      ourselves into attractive elements, creators of present realities,
      with a will to change," Msgr. Giussani continued, addressing an
      audience of 12,000 who were able to hear him thanks to an audio
      connection.

      "I do not know if all the effort to participate in the dialogue of
      these days, has just been a memorable experience or fostered an
      intensified attitude to life, an intense love of the mystery of man,
      and of God's plan for him," he continued.

      "I leave you with these words as the last that we can express at
      this time: intense enthusiasm, intense affection for what man can
      do, can be, and can focus on in his history. Thanks to all, and
      we'll see one another next year," he concluded.

      According to the organizers, over 700,000 people attended the 25th
      meeting which took place the week of Aug. 22-28, 2004, exceeding
      last year's number. More than 700 journalists of national and
      international media were accredited to cover the event.

      The program included 135 meetings, 19 exhibitions, 16 shows and 7
      sports events, made possible thanks to the work of 2,800 volunteers
      from Italy, Argentina, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Russia, the United
      States, Spain and other countries, and an additional 850 who
      prepared the meeting in the preceding days.

      "Freedom Is the Greatest Good that the Heavens Have Given Men" is
      the theme announced for the 26th Meeting for Friendship Among
      Peoples scheduled for Aug. 21-27, 2005. The words are taken
      from "Don Quixote de la Mancha" by Miguel de Cervantes
      (1547-1616).

      * * *

      French Bishops Calls Kidnapping of Journalists in Iraq
      "Intolerable
      Blackmail"
      Express Desire for a "Rapid Liberation"

      PARIS, AUG. 30, 2004 (Zenit.org).- With an appeal to solidarity and
      a call to prayer, French bishops condemned the kidnapping of two
      French journalists in Iraq by Muslim terrorists.

      After executing Italian journalist Enzo Baldoni last Thursday, the
      Sunni Muslim group called the Islamic Army claimed responsibility
      for the kidnapping of Christian Chesnot of Radio France
      International and Georges Malbrunot of Le Figaro, who disappeared
      Aug. 20.

      The criminals are threatening to kill the two reporters if the
      French government does not revoke in 48 hours, which expire on
      Monday night, the law prohibiting the wearing of religious symbols,
      such as the Islamic headscarf, in public places.

      In the statement, issued by Archbishop Jean-Pierre Ricard, president
      of the bishop's conference, expressed on behalf of all the French
      bishops "the profound closeness of all the Catholic Church of France
      to the two hostages, their families, their friends and all
      journalists: their concern is ours, as is their hope."

      "I express our total solidarity with all persons who, by reason of
      their governmental, diplomatic, professional, humanitarian
      responsibilities or in the name of their faith, manifest their
      reprobation or condemnation of an intolerable blackmail, and unite
      their efforts to seek the rapid liberation of the two journalists,"
      he continued.

      In addition, the Bishops invited all Catholics to "ardently take up
      the prayer today" formulated at Lourdes Aug. 15 together with the
      Pope and pray "for peace, so that courageous men and women will be
      found who will implement it."

      * * *

      Modern Man Continues to Search for God
      Father Adriano Alessi on the Philosophy of Religion

      ROME, AUG. 30, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Man continues to satisfy his
      desire for God, but persists in the temptation to do so in ways that
      are different from those to which God calls him, says Salesian
      priest and philosopher Father Adriano Alessi.

      Professor of philosophy at the Pontifical Salesian University,
      Father Alessi is the author of "On the Ways of the Sacred,"
      published six years ago in the original Italian by the Salesian
      publishing House LAS.

      Ediciones Cristianas is publishing the book in Spanish under the
      title "The Ways of the Sacred: Introduction to the Philosophy of
      Religion."

      In the following interview the author reflects on the essence of
      religion and the inward and outward dimension of religious
      experience.

      Q: Are we witnessing a return to the sacred?

      Father Alessi: It is not possible to answer with a yes or a no. I
      believe there is a triple distinction between "return to
      God," "return to the thirst for God," and "return to the awareness
      for the need of God."

      In relation to the first meaning—the return to God—I believe
      that
      one cannot speak of it as such, for the simple reason that God has
      never abandoned man nor has he ever diminished his saving will in
      regard to humanity.

      Likewise, I do not think that we can speak appropriately of the
      return to the thirst for God, given that man, whether or not he is
      aware of it, is always objectively in need of God, and cannot
      fulfill himself other than by entering into communion with the
      absolute.

      In regard to the third meaning, which concerns the effective
      resurgence of the awareness of modern man's need for God, an
      appropriate answer would have to be given by a sociologist, not by a
      theologian or a philosopher.

      Nevertheless, I think that few are the authors who say that the
      process of secularization has often led to a flowering of many
      sacred experiences. Some are genuine, others—not a few—are
      problematic because rather than a search for the sacred they appear
      more as a flight towards esotericism.

      Q: Why is it difficult to distinguish between what is and what is
      not religion?

      Father Alessi: Religion, examined from the housetops, that is, in
      its human dimension, is an extremely complex historic-cultural
      phenomenon.

      The forms with which faith in God have been configured in the course
      of history are varied and at times contrasting.

      Suffice it to think of the configuration that the divine assumes in
      the religion of primitive and illiterate peoples, or of the monist,
      dualist, polytheist, or monotheist manifestation with which the
      absolute is experienced by many believers.

      The above, with the exception of the "sui generis" configuration
      proper of Buddhism, in which, in addition to the search for an
      eschatological salvation, we see the absence of a divine being, in
      the traditional sense of the term.

      Therefore, it is not easy or correct to want to reduce so much
      complexity to just one common denominator. Though, when it comes to
      authentic religious beliefs, it should not be impossible to identify
      some elements that belong to the essence of religious faith.

      Q: In a few words, what is religion?

      Father Alessi: A relationship with the divinity. Religion, in the
      sense of human religious experience, can be defined as a conscious
      and correct correlation of man with the divinity. This definition
      follows the line of Thomist thought which connotes it as "ordo ad
      Deum."

      Thus, it is a relationship or, if you prefer, an existential
      dialogue that is established between man and God.

      Our attitude before God may be defined as religious if it is
      characterized by correctness at the noetic level and in terms of
      behavior.

      The authentic Christian is the one who has a conception of the
      divine in accordance with the Christian faith. The authentic Muslim
      is the believer who conducts himself in keeping with the praxis of
      Islam.

      Q: What are the ways of the sacred?

      Father Alessi: I think that here too there is need for a
      distinction. If by "ways of the sacred" we understand the ways
      through which God calls men today, we must say that these ways are
      infinite and inscrutable. They are all those through whom the
      Absolute in his infinite wisdom and goodness chooses to realize his
      plan of salvation.

      Moreover, if we understand "ways of the sacred" as the ways through
      which man attempts to respond to the divine call, the answer must
      then reflect the many forms with which men of good will undertake
      the search for God. It can be by following the ways marked out by
      the great historical religions, or by following the more precarious
      ways of the new forms of religiosity.

      We must note that these new ways, even if subjectively valid, to the
      degree that they are followed with purity of intention, are not
      objectively equivalent to the others, although all have need of
      purification in different ways.

      Q: Does New Age have a future?

      Father Alessi: I would have to be a prophet to answer you. My
      sensibility leads me to think that New Age, in the world in which it
      has been configured in these decades, is probably not only a
      religion à la carte, but a fashionable phenomenon and, therefore,
      destined to decline.

      Nevertheless, a constant temptation of the human spirit will be to
      want to find God, not in the sometimes uncomfortable ways by which
      the Absolute calls us, but through the more comfortable and spacious
      ways that man invents for himself to silence his profound desire for
      God.

      * * *

      The Personal Example of the Parish Priest is What Attracts Vocations

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 30, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Each parish priest,
      according to his own style and method, is responsible for inspiring
      others to follow the vocational path, said Father Stuart Bate, a
      member of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate.

      Father Bate, a professor of Religious Education and Pastoral
      Ministry at St. Augustine College of South Africa, participated in a
      teleconference on the topic of vocations to the priesthood organized
      by the Congregation for the Clergy.

      Here is the text of the conference given by Father Bate.

      ***

      God continually calls people in Christ to participate in the
      realization of his great plan for the salvation of the world (See
      Ephesians 1, 1 Corinthians 15). A special call is the vocation to
      priestly life and service. We usually hear God's call in the example
      of those around us, who challenge and inspire us by the witness of
      their own lives. This is particularly true with priestly vocation
      where the example of a zealous and holy priest is the way that many
      young men are challenged to examine the choices for their own
      future.

      Most find this example in their parish and so the witness of the
      parish priest is an essential site of God's call to others to enter
      priestly life and ministry. This witness can be inspired by
      different kinds of priestly gifts and talents. Some parish priests
      excel in preparing and leading prayerful and dignified celebrations
      of the sacraments. Some manifest God's presence in their special
      ministry to the sick and dying. Yet others have special gift of
      preaching as they mediate Gods' word to the hearts of people. Some
      show a special commitment to the poor and suffering of the parish.
      There is no one recipe but what is common in all is the example of
      men who have met the Lord, who know it and who live their
      relationship with Jesus in service to the people they have been
      called to lead.

      Inspired by such an example, young men (and sometimes older people)
      begin to contemplate the value and indeed the immeasurable necessity
      of the life of a Priest. And in this frame of mind they are more
      open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit who may be gently
      challenging them to come and see more about this life for themselves
      (See John 1:39). Understanding the meaning of such promptings
      requires discernment. Here too the parish priest can play an
      important role in helping others explore the possibilities of this
      lifestyle. This may include encouraging them to greater involvement
      in the parish. Spiritual direction and other forms of mentoring are
      also important. The parish priest is often the first to recognise
      the seeds of priestly vocation in a young man. This is because he
      has been along this road himself in articulating his own call before
      entering the seminary.

      Priests, however, must be careful not to project their own views and
      desires onto others. Their role is not to control but rather to
      trust God by helping such men explore their own vocation, following
      wherever it may lead. This implies neither the imposition of ones
      own will nor the mere passive provision of a spiritual space. Rather
      it requires an active involvement through accompaniment and
      encouragement of those who feel the Lord may be calling them to
      priestly ministry.

      This task of vocational guidance is not just a task for a few
      specialists or those who are 'good with young people'. It is the
      responsibility of every parish priest. Each will do it in his own
      way using his own gifts and his own style. It must be true that
      almost all priests have inspired at least one person to follow in
      their footsteps. Sometimes we may have failed to nourish that
      inspiration. Like Peter we may think that we have had a poor catch.
      It is Jesus who shows us how to cast our nets to achieve a great
      haul.

      * * *

      CATHOLIC DEFENDANT FILES UNPRECEDENTED CHALLENGE TO "NO-FAULT"
      DIVORCE - submitted by Judy Parejko

      August 23, 2004 An Ohio wife and mother has filed an unprecedented
      divorce challenge, which has the potential -- certainly for Catholic
      marriages but possibly for ALL marriages -- of impacting the
      "routinized" approach now taken by the courts in handling no-fault
      divorce. In confronting the ubiquitous "no-fault" system with its
      harmful effects on adults, children, and society, she models her
      convictions after Catholic Saints --- Thomas More, Joan of Arc, and
      Maximillian Kolbe --- all of whom stood up against great odds for
      what they believed in.

      Marie (Bai) Macfarlane, who is the defendant in the case, has asked
      the court to transfer jurisdiction of the case to the Catholic
      Church, arguing that, prior to their marriage, she and her husband
      had entered into a "de facto" prenuptial agreement to abide by the
      "rules! " of the Church. These rules include the requirement to first
      contact the bishop before moving out or filing for divorce.

      Papal documents maintain that "jurisdiction" over Catholic marriage
      has never been relinquished to civil authorities, but Catholics
      behave just like everyone else when they want out of their vows ---
      they head straight to the attorney's office instead of to Church
      authorities.

      On behalf of the defendant, the Chancellor of a Wisconsin Diocese who
      is a canon (Church) lawyer, has filed an affidavit, outlining the
      nature of their binding prenuptial agreement. A supportive legal
      opinion is anticipated from an Ann Arbor law professor. The press
      release below is designated for public distribution. Links to the
      legal arguments used in the case can be found in the online press
      release at www.marysadvocates.org

      For further information, contact: Judy P! arejko, La Crosse, WI
      Author of "Stolen Vows" www.StolenVows.com e-mail: jparejko@...

      Or:

      Marie (Bai) Macfarlane, Westlake, Ohio, Author of "and Justice for
      None" www.marysadvocates.org/aboutus.html e-mail:
      ma.defending@... Cuyahoga County DR-03-294327

      Attorney Bob Lynch can be reached through his answering service:
      216-771-0999

      - - - - PRESS RELEASE - AUGUST 23, 2004- - - - -

      CATHOLIC DEFENDANT FILES UNPRECEDENTED CHALLENGE TO "NO-FAULT"
      DIVORCE

      Couples who marry in the Roman Catholic Church are bound by an
      antenuptial agreement (also called a prenuptial agreement), which
      includes specific rules about separation and divorce, according to a
      brief filed today by Cleveland attorney Robert Lynch, on behalf of
      his client, Marie (Bai) Macfarlane.

      Mr. Lynch has asked the court to dismiss all temporary orders,
      arguing that his client's husband, William (Bud) Macfarlane, Jr.,
      violated the couple's "prenuptial" by moving out of the house and
      filing for divorce without first contacting the bishop. A judge,
      operating under the Ohio No-Fault code, has already ordered the sale
      of the family home as well as a change in schooling for two of the
      couple's four sons -- who are all under the age of 13.

      According to the argument presented by Mr. Lynch, the couple
      willingly agreed to a! bide by the Church's "rules" during their
      Pre-Cana marriage preparation and also prior to exchanging vows on
      their wedding day. He supports his argument with a 4-page affidavit,
      written by Benedict Nguyen, who is a canon lawyer and serves as
      Chancellor of the Diocese of La Crosse, Wis. The affidavit outlines
      the nature of the "de facto" prenuptial agreement to which all
      Catholics consent prior to marrying in the Catholic Church.

      Previous case law shows that the prenuptial agreements of Orthodox
      Jews have been upheld by civil authorities. Mr. Lynch asks the court
      to uphold his client's prenuptial agreement in the same way.

      Judge Cheryl Karner, who is hearing the case, and is herself Jewish,
      does not appear to understand the import of the Macfarlanes'
      prenuptial agreement, evidenced by the statements she made at a prior
      hearing:

      ". . .your religious conviction and the contract you entered into in
      front of your priest, has! priority, I can understand that from a
      religious point of view, bu t it doesn't from a secular point of view
      and doesn't from a legal point of view."

      Typically, the Catholic Church does not get involved after the
      divorce has been granted, at which time, one party might petition the
      Church's tribunal to obtain an annulment of the marriage, in order to
      re-marry within the Church. But prior to divorce, canon 1153 in the
      Code of Canon Law, requires that a spouse must first demonstrate to
      the bishop or the tribunal that there's an acceptable reason for
      separating from the other spouse, unless there is "danger in delay".
      In addition, canon 1692 requires that a spouse must receive
      authorization to "approach the civil forum." Mr. Macfarlane did not
      first consult with Cleveland's Bishop Pilla before moving out of the
      family home and subsequently filing for divorce. Ohio courts grant a
      no-fault divorce to the petitioner after one year of separation,
      without regard to the circumstances.

      Stephen Safrane! k, a professor of Law at the Ave Maria School of Law
      in Ann Arbor, Michigan, maintains that the contract they made placing
      jurisdiction in the courts of the Catholic Church should be upheld
      --- in the same way that other arbitration agreements are upheld.

      When the case was first filed, Mrs. Macfarlane had asked the judge to
      send both herself and her husband to conciliation services, so they
      might resolve their conflict, but Judge Karner would not do so unless
      both parties were willing to attend, and Mr. Macfarlane refused.

      Mrs. Macfarlane then learned that Cuyahoga County had never even
      instituted any conciliation programs, as are required in Ohio Revised
      Code 3117, which was enacted to ameliorate the affects of the
      "no-challenge" system of no-fault divorce, where the petitioner is
      always granted his/her request for a divorce. She suspects that this
      Code has not been properly implemented in any Ohio county, which
      means there is! nothing offered to the spouse who wants a chance at
      preserving his /her intact family when facing the threat of divorce.

      The change to "no-fault" divorce was originally promoted in the late
      '60's by lawyers as a way of actually saving marriages --- by
      eliminating the bitter acrimony of the "fault"-based divorce system
      where one party had to accuse the other of wrongdoing. In addition,
      discussion about changing the law included the idea that
      "court-ordered counseling" would be part of this new system.

      The sinister side to no-fault divorce is that most people assume
      no-fault means "mutual consent", whereas up to 80% of divorces are
      "coerced" by judges who believe they need to keep the divorce
      "conveyor" belt rolling. Reluctant spouses are forced to sign
      "agreements" about property and children at the threat of being
      jailed. Mrs. Macfarlane has been so-threatened, and she tells her
      story --- including the judge's own words, taken from the court
      record --- in a quickly-written book called, "an! d Justice for
      None". Her motive is to convey to others the diabolical nature of
      this country's prevailing divorce system, where jurisdiction over
      marriage is based solely on a residency requirement and where judges
      deny any measures requested by the defendant that might salvage
      marital relations.

      The Macfarlane case is significant, since there are no safeguards
      left in the civil system for marriages facing divorce. The Catholic
      Church, which views marriage as a Sacrament, is now being tapped to
      apply the laws that have been "on the books" since 1983, in order to
      help her families avoid the devastation of divorce. Other churches
      may be inspired --- by this "Catholic" example --- to begin
      instituting their own similar safeguards.

      * * *

      EWTN Host/Author to Speak in Kentucky

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Contact Person: Megan Gerdes
      502 228-4100
      KYAplogetics@...

      Noted Catholic Author-Apologist To Speak Sep. 24, 2004.

      Louisville, Ky. (Aug. 23, 2004) — Best-selling Catholic author
      Patrick Madrid will visit St. Albert the Great Catholic Church, 1395
      Girard Dr., Louisville, on Sep 24, 2004 to discuss how diligent
      study of the Bible and early church history has propelled so
      many "Bible-Christians", and others, into the Catholic Church. This
      seminar is open to the public. All faiths are welcome to attend.

      The event will begin at 7 pm . Admission is free. A lively "open
      forum" Q & A period will follow Mr. Madrid's talk. Attendees are
      encouraged to bring along a Bible and notepad.

      [ Patrick Madrid is the founder and publisher of the award-winning
      Envoy magazine ,a leading Catholic journal of apologetics and
      evangelization. In addition to his work as an author, Mr. Madrid has
      hosted three popular EWTN television and radio series based on his
      books: "Pope Fiction" , "The Truth About Scripture and Tradition."
      and "Search and Rescue: How to Bring Your Family and Friends into -
      or Back into - the Catholic Church" He has published many articles
      in leading Catholic and Protestant journals and has conducted
      hundreds of apologetics and evangelization conferences in English
      and Spanish
      across the U.S. and throughout the world. Cardinal Edward Egan
      recently said, "How do bring a friend or relative back into the
      Church? First you pray. Then, you follow Patrick Madrid's advice in
      [his book] "Search and Rescue." ]

      For more information on the Surprised by Truth seminar at St.
      Albert's, please call Megan Gerdes at 502-228-4100 or e-mail
      KYApologetics@....

      available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer

      well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing
      prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed
      the

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession
      of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about
      the

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language=EN>

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions
      will

      below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by
      date;

      specified