  • montana_morning_star
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2004

      WEDNESDAY 18 AUGUST 2004

      St. Jane Frances de Chantal

      (1562-1641)

      . Holy See Appeals to Shiite Cleric in Peace Effort
      . 3 Members of Catholic Action to Be Beatified
      . Pope Encourages Dominicans' "Ministry of Thought"
      . New Vatican Section Set Up to Aid Sports World
      . President of Venezuelan Episcopate Wary of Vote Results
      . Why the Pope Went to Lourdes
      . Eucharist for Non-Catholics
      And More on Ad-libbing the Prayers of the Faithful

      Holy See Appeals to Shiite Cleric in Peace Effort

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 17, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See appealed to
      radical cleric Muqtada al-Sadr to adopt a willingness for peace, as
      it pressed its efforts to save the Shiite holy city of Najaf in
      Iraq.

      A few hours earlier today, Ajmed al-Shaibany, al-Sadr's spokesman in
      Najaf, said: "We receive with pleasure the initiative of the Pope in
      the Vatican and we ask him to intervene to resolve the crisis."

      Father Ciro Benedettini, assistant director of the Vatican press
      office, confirmed that "the Holy See is always ready to help the
      parties so that they can talk and dialogue, on the condition that
      there really is a will to undertake peaceful ways for the solution
      of conflicts."

      "As is known, the apostolic nuncio in Baghdad is following firsthand
      the development of the situation and the Vatican Secretariat of
      State continues to be in close contact both with him as well as with
      the Chaldean patriarch and the country's episcopate," Father
      Benedettini added.

      On Monday, Cardinal Angelo Sodano, Vatican secretary of state,
      expressed in a radio interview the Holy See's willingness to provide
      its "good offices" so that those involved will engage in a dialogue
      to make possible a peaceful way out.

      Archbishop Fernando Filoni, apostolic nuncio in Iraq, said that for
      now "it is impossible to make predictions; it is necessary to wait
      and see what happens."

      "If [al-Sadr] shows his own willingness to find a peaceful solution
      to the conflict, we will have to accept it, but it is useless to
      make predictions until he clarifies his real intentions," the papal
      representative told AsiaNews.

      Militants loyal to al-Sadr have been confronting U.S. and Iraqi
      forces in Najaf since Aug. 5. Today, a U.S. warplane bombed near
      Najaf's vast cemetery as fighting with Shiite militants intensified.

      * * *

      3 Members of Catholic Action to Be Beatified
      During Pope's Visit to Loreto in September

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 17, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II will beatify
      three key figures of Catholic Action next month when he makes an
      apostolic visit to the Italian national Marian shrine of Loreto.

      The Vatican press office announced the Sept. 5 beatifications today
      when publishing the program of this papal pilgrimage.

      Among the new blessed will be Catalan Pere Tarres i Claret, born in
      Manresa on May 30, 1905. He died in his Archdiocese of Barcelona on
      Aug. 31, 1950.

      After obtaining a degree in medicine, he was ordained a priest, and
      dedicated himself in particular to the formation of the youth of
      Catholic Action.

      Also to be beatified is Alberto Marvelli, an Italian engineer and
      politician, who died at age 28, in 1946. He was formed by the
      Salesians and Catholic Action. A man of profound spirituality, he
      aided the poor during World War II. He was a member of the Executive
      Council of the Christian Democratic Party in postwar Italy. He was
      killed in an accident.

      The Pope will also beatify Italian laywoman Pina Suriano (1915-
      1950). She was especially dedicated in Catholic Action to the
      formation of girls and young people.

      Up to 200,000 people are expected to attend the Mass in Loreto at
      which the Pope will preside. It will be celebrated in the context of
      the Italian pilgrimage of Catholic Action, Sept. 1-5.

      During his approximately 9-hour stay, the Holy Father will be
      received at the Youth Center near the shrine.

      Catholic Action is the largest Catholic lay organization in Italy.
      Present in 8,000 parishes, its ranks include 180,000 adults, 80,000
      youths and 150,000 adolescents.

      Catholic Action dates back to 1867, the year when two youths
      established the Italian Catholic Youth Society, adopting as their
      program the motto "Prayer, Action, Sacrifice." Pope Pius IX approved
      the association in 1868. It was established with its present name
      and structure by Pope Pius X.

      * * *

      Pope Encourages Dominicans' "Ministry of Thought"
      Says It Will Help in Fight for Dignity of the Human Person

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 17, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II sent his
      encouragement to the Dominican religious at the close of the general
      chapter of the definers of their order, held for the first time in
      Poland.

      Presided over by the master of the Order of Preachers, Father Carlos
      Azpíroz Acosta, the meeting was held in Krakow at the Convent of
      the
      Most Holy Trinity, which houses the tomb of St. Jacinto, first
      Polish Dominican. The meeting opened July 27 and ended today.

      In a message signed by Archbishop Leonardo Sandri, substitute of the
      Vatican Secretariat of State, the Pope encouraged the continuation
      of the Dominicans' apostolic activity, always "intimately linked to
      the 'ministry of thought' that is expressed in profound study of the
      different realms of science and in dialogue with the latter in the
      field of philosophy and theology."

      This will allow the generations of our century to "drink from the
      sources of authentic wisdom and knowledge," as well as "to assume
      the responsibility to struggle for the dignity of the human person
      in the aspects of his individual or social life," the Pope added.

      The definers' chapter, which differs from the general chapter and
      the provincials' chapter, brought together some 80 religious.

      Each of the order's entities -- 38 provinces, two subprovinces and
      nine general vicariates -- elected a delegate, to whom were added
      delegates elected by some regional and provincial vicariates and
      envoys of the master. These latter comprised lay Dominicans, nuns,
      apostolic women religious and curial assistants.

      The working sessions consisted of study groups that addressed issues
      such as preaching in relation to the new technologies and languages;
      intellectual life; communal life; and vocation and formation.

      For more information, see www.krakow2004.dominikanie.pl.

      * * *

      New Vatican Section Set Up to Aid Sports World
      Pope Launching a Tool for Evangelization

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 17, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II has set up
      a "Church and Sports" section in the Vatican to coordinate spiritual
      assistance to athletes and to promote the authentic values of
      sports.

      In announcing the new entity, which is under the Pontifical Council
      for the Laity, the Vatican press office explained that sports have
      an important role today "both at the personal as well as the global
      level."

      "The Athens Olympics and the millions of people worldwide who follow
      their development are once again a clear sign of how sports are an
      important element in the life of our societies," the press official
      said in a statement Aug. 3.

      Moreover, "the tendencies which have increasingly removed the
      exercise of the different sports disciplines from the original
      ideals of sport, pose with urgency the need to recall fundamental
      values also in this field," the statement added.

      "The Church, which has always shown special interest in the
      different and important sectors of human coexistence, is also called
      to pay attention to all that concerns sports, which may be
      considered as one of the nerve points of contemporary culture and a
      frontier of the New Evangelization," the statement added.

      The document explained that the Church and Sports section will have
      five functions:

      1) "To be a point of reference in the Church for national and
      international sports organizations;

      2) "To sensitize local Churches to pastoral care in sports
      environments, stressing the need to stimulate collaboration among
      the associations of Catholic athletes";

      3) "To foster a sports culture that promotes a view of sporting
      activity as a means for the integral growth of the person and as an
      instrument at the service of peace and brotherhood among peoples."

      4) "To propose careful study of the specific range of topics
      concerning sports, especially from the ethical point of view."

      5) "To organize and support initiatives capable of inspiring
      testimonies of Christian life among athletes."

      The Pontifical Council for the Laity ended the statement by
      expressing the hope that this new Vatican entity will be an
      opportunity for sports lovers "to promote the exercise of sport
      which unites with a constructive spirit the complex needs resulting
      from the cultural and social changes arising in the last century
      with those linked to the dignity of the human person."

      "Only in this way," the statement added, "will sports be a school of
      virtue and an instrument of peace among peoples."

      * * *

      President of Venezuelan Episcopate Wary of Vote Results
      Says "Uncertainty" Hangs Over Country in Wake of Referendum

      CARACAS, Venezuela, AUG. 17, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The head of the
      Venezuelan bishops' conference expressed his "enormous concern"
      about the reported results of the referendum that left President
      Hugo Chávez in power.

      Archbishop Baltazar Porras of Merida nevertheless encouraged all
      political and social agents to engage in a sincere dialogue that
      will lead to national reconciliation.

      In statements on Vatican Radio, the archbishop said the country
      is "paralyzed" and living in a "climate of uncertainty" given the
      way the results of the Sunday voting were announced.

      "This worries us a lot as Church, as it was hoped that it would be
      an avenue of reconciliation for Venezuelan society," he said. "But
      the way things are at present, it seems that it might deepen the
      differences."

      "What Venezuela needs is that we all be united to work for its
      development, material and spiritual, for the peace of all citizens,"
      the president of the episcopate added. "This is why we ask the
      actors to give an explanation so that there can be tranquility and
      serenity in all the Venezuelan population."

      In statements to the Venezuelan press, Archbishop Porras expressed
      his doubts on the transparency with which the referendum was carried
      out. He noted that the international observers, the Carter Center
      and the Organization of American States, did not have, as in the
      past, "direct access" to a series of aspects in the electoral
      process.

      Chávez was confirmed in power until 2007, by winning 58% of the
      votes of the recall referendum, according to preliminary results of
      the National Electoral Council. The opposition considers the results
      fraudulent.

      * * *

      Why the Pope Went to Lourdes
      Cardinal Barbarin Points to the Mystery of the Immaculate Conception

      LOURDES, France, AUG. 17, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Cardinal Philippe
      Barbarin of Lyon presided this year over the traditional national
      pilgrimage Aug. 15 to Lourdes, which on this occasion had a special
      guest: John Paul II.

      In this interview, the 53-year-old primate of France reflects on the
      reason for the papal visit, the commemoration of the 150th
      anniversary of the proclamation of the dogma of the Immaculate
      Conception, and its fruits.

      Q: What would you say to a youth who asked you about the mystery of
      the Immaculate Conception?

      Cardinal Barbarin: Let us begin with the voice that was heard when
      Jesus came out of the waters of the Jordan: "This is my beloved
      Son." What God desired to give to men took place through Jesus, the
      sole Mediator. We receive everything -- the forgiveness of sins,
      justice and peace, purity of heart, holiness, victory over death --
      through baptism, which is our rebirth.

      "Do not marvel that I say to you, 'You must be born anew,'" Jesus
      said to Nicodemus. So we understand why God willed to give this gift
      beforehand to the Mother of his Son. Even before God saved the world
      with the passion and resurrection of Jesus, at the moment that
      Mary's life was conceived in her mother's womb, she was "all holy."
      There was nothing that stained or injured her.

      That is why, in his greeting, the angel Gabriel said: "Hail, full of
      grace." No matter how much we study and analyze her life, we will
      see nothing but love.

      Q: What is the essential message of the Pope's presence in Lourdes?

      Cardinal Barbarin: John Paul II came on the occasion of the 150th
      anniversary of the proclamation of the dogma of the Immaculate
      Conception by his predecessor, Blessed Pius IX.

      He has helped us to go deeper into all that of our faith which
      relates to the Mother of God. After recalling her role in our
      salvation, the Second Vatican Council has taught us to see the place
      that Mary has in the Church and in men's journey.

      One of our canticles mentions this theme: "She is the first on the
      way." Thanks to Mary's example and life, the Holy Father helps us to
      see all the light that God can infuse in a human heart. It is
      something that encourages us and fills us with hope.

      The Pope also prayed the rosary with us, meditating on the luminous
      mysteries which he proposed two years ago. Jesus is "the light of
      the world." All those who approach Christ, who love and follow him,
      who participate in his mission and passion, reflect this light in
      the world. In this instance we can also say that Mary is the first.

      We have also seen the Holy Father as a sick person among the sick,
      who come every year to Lourdes in great numbers. This has stimulated
      his hope and helps us to love the sick with greater tenderness and
      to give them the role that belongs to them in our society, above all
      in our Christian communities.

      Q: What impetus can this event give to the life of the Catholic
      Church in France?

      Cardinal Barbarin: One would have to be a fortuneteller to answer. I
      would say that when the Christian people gather around their pastor
      they are stimulated, as their unity and communion in faith is
      manifested.

      The preaching of the Gospel, the teaching of the Church, are good
      nourishment for our hearts and minds. The Church always needs to be
      awakened.

      I also believe very much in Mary's grace proper to this day and
      place: What sweetness and humility in the events of Lourdes and on
      little Bernadette's face! What a beautiful feast August 15 is, the
      solemnity of Mary's assumption, which is a spiritual summit in
      midsummer.

      It is the day in which we hear the Gospel of the Magnificat
      proclaimed, a totally pure cry of joy. Mary exults because she sees
      everything that God does among us, all that he allows her to
      experience, she who is so little.

      * * *

      Eucharist for Non-Catholics
      And More on Ad-libbing the Prayers of the Faithful

      ROME, AUG. 17, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Answered by Father Edward
      McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical
      University.

      Q: I have been a Eucharistic minister to the sick for the past 10
      years. I have done this in four different dioceses. I have
      permission from the local bishop to bring daily Communion to a
      gravely ill relative. This past Sunday, I met several Episcopalians
      and Lutherans who really wanted to participate in some type of a
      service too. My heart went out to them. In all our readings Jesus
      healed based on a person's faith, not their creed. I have not shared
      Communion, but my heart says this would be good for the faith of
      those who are suffering. May the Eucharist be shared among non-
      Catholic if there is faith in the Real Presence? Must I abide by
      Church law? -- S.C., Little Rock, Arkansas

      A: John Paul II has spoken on the relationship between the Eucharist
      and ecumenism in his encyclical "Ecclesia de Eucharistia":

      "The gift of Christ and his Spirit which we receive in Eucharistic
      communion superabundantly fulfills the yearning for fraternal unity
      deeply rooted in the human heart; at the same time it elevates the
      experience of fraternity already present in our common sharing at
      the same Eucharistic table to a degree which far surpasses that of
      the simple human experience of sharing a meal. Through her communion
      with the body of Christ the Church comes to be ever more
      profoundly 'in Christ in the nature of a sacrament, that is, a sign
      and instrument of intimate unity with God and of the unity of the
      whole human race.'

      "The seeds of disunity, which daily experience shows to be so deeply
      rooted in humanity as a result of sin, are countered by the unifying
      power of the body of Christ. The Eucharist, precisely by building up
      the Church, creates human community" (No. 24).

      Later, in No. 46 of the encyclical, the Pope reminds us of those
      rare cases, and under what conditions, non-Catholic Christians may
      be admitted to the sacraments of the Eucharist, reconciliation and
      anointing of the sick.

      This administration is limited to "Christians who are not in full
      communion with the Catholic Church but who greatly desire to receive
      these sacraments, freely request them and manifest the faith which
      the Catholic Church professes with regard to these sacraments.
      Conversely, in specific cases and in particular circumstances,
      Catholics too can request these same sacraments from ministers of
      Churches in which these sacraments are valid."

      It adds: "These conditions, from which no dispensation can be given,
      must be carefully respected, even though they deal with specific
      individual cases. That is because the denial of one or more truths
      of the faith regarding these sacraments and, among these, the truth
      regarding the need of the ministerial priesthood for their validity,
      renders the person asking improperly disposed to legitimately
      receiving them. And the opposite is also true: Catholics may not
      receive 'communion' in those communities which lack a valid
      sacrament of orders."

      The Holy Father refers to several numbers of the Ecumenical
      Directory which specify these conditions in more detail, in its
      chapter on "Sharing Spiritual Activities and Resources."

      The general principles involved in this sharing must reflect this
      double fact:

      "1) The real communion in the life of the Spirit which already
      exists among Christians and is expressed in their prayer and
      liturgical worship;

      "2) The incomplete character of this communion because of
      differences of faith and understanding which are incompatible with
      an unrestricted mutual sharing of spiritual endowments."

      For these reasons the Church recognizes that "in certain
      circumstances, by way of exception, and under certain conditions,
      access to these sacraments may be permitted, or even commended, for
      Christians of other Churches and ecclesial Communities" (No. 130).

      Apart from the case of danger of death, the episcopal conference and
      the local bishop may specify other grave circumstances in which a
      Protestant may receive these sacraments although always respecting
      the conditions outlined above in the Holy Father's encyclical: "that
      the person be unable to have recourse for the sacrament desired to a
      minister of his or her own Church or ecclesial Community, ask for
      the sacrament of his or her own initiative, [and] manifest Catholic
      faith in this sacrament and be properly disposed" (No. 131).

      Therefore in general it is not possible for you to give Communion to
      Protestants. But if you find one who fulfills the above conditions,
      you should advise the local pastor so that the person may receive
      reconciliation and anointing of the sick.

      This does not mean that you are completely despoiled of all
      possibilities of giving spiritual comfort while exercising one of
      the corporal works of mercy.

      Apart from words of encouragement and consolation you could also use
      some of the spiritual treasury of readings, prayers and
      intercessions found in the ritual for the care of the sick. Thus you
      could pray for, and with, these souls in a time of need.

      * * *

      Follow-up: Ad-libbing the Prayers of the Faithful

      Several correspondents noted that I forgot to mention in the July 20
      column that the proper place for reading the general intercessions,
      or prayers of the faithful, is the ambo.

      This fact was included in the document I quoted. But it serves as a
      reminder that the ambo is reserved for the proclamation of God's
      word, preaching and the general intercessions. Commentators, choir
      directors and others who intervene in the celebration should
      preferably not use the ambo.

      A reader from Spain asks if it is proper to recite the Hail Mary to
      conclude the general intercessions.

      This custom, fairly widespread in some countries, is usually
      introduced by a phrase asking for Mary's intercession with respect
      to the other intentions. Since, as we mentioned in our previous
      note, the intercessions are above all intentions, and not prayers or
      petitions directed toward God, then there is no reason why we cannot
      invoke Mary's intercession in presenting our intentions to God.

      However the Hail Mary should not substitute the priest's closing
      prayer.

      A correspondent from Ontario in Canada asks if there is any
      particular format for writing the intentions of the general
      intercessions.

      The official documents limit themselves to asking that
      the "intentions announced should be sober, be composed freely but
      prudently, and be succinct, and they should express the prayer of
      the entire community" (General Instruction of the Roman Missal, No.
      71).

      The documents also state that the intentions more or less should
      follow the suggested order: universal and local Church (Pope,
      bishop, etc.); for the salvation of the world (for those responsible
      for civil government) and those oppressed by any burden (those who
      suffer, the sick); and for special categories of people (those who
      prepare for baptism, for those dedicated to some special mission,
      etc.).

      Being brief and to the point prevents the intentions from mutating
      into long prayers or verbose pious exhortations.

      Expressing the prayer of the entire community means that they should
      not be too personalized either by reflecting too closely the
      spiritual interests of an individual or group within the community
      or my mentioning very particular individual needs.

      This would not exclude particular mentions on special occasions such
      as funerals and confirmations nor the custom of some parishes of
      asking the parish community to pray for those members who are
      gravely ill or recently deceased.

      There are many worthy editions of books with formulas for the
      general intercessions, even some covering every day of the year.

      These books may be used for the general intercessions themselves or
      as resources in preparing intercessions tailored to the needs of a
      particular community.

      available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer

      well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing
      prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed
      the

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession
      of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about
      the

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language=EN>

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions
      will

      below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by
      date;St. Jane Frances de Chantal

      (1562-1641)

      specified