    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 7:58 AM

      MONDAY 5 JULY 2004

      . Anecdotes of a Papal Preacher
      . From Afar, Pope to Join in Mexico's Eucharistic Congress
      . John Paul II Returning to Italian Alps for Vacation
      . Dialogue Can Overcome Catholic-Orthodox Split, Says Pope
      . Catholic-Jewish Panel to Meet in Argentina
      . Sandinista Says Cardinal Deserves Nobel Prize
      . Auxiliary Named for Baltimore
      . Holy See Urges All Nations to Adopt Land-Mine Ban
      . Pius XII's Aid to Jews Was So Great That It Stirred Protests
      . In the Wake of Ecumenical Patriarch's Visit

      Anecdotes of a Papal Preacher
      Father Raniero Cantalamessa Marks 25 Years in Post

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Capuchin Father Raniero Cantalamessa celebrated 25 years as preacher of the papal household, an activity that has allowed him to be especially close to John Paul II.

      This commitment, the preacher revealed, "has stimulated me to renew my preaching, my interests, always trying to discern the signs of the times, the challenges, and the great problems of the Church, to be able to reflect on them."

      In an interview on Vatican Radio, Father Cantalamessa recalled some anecdotes from his time as papal preacher.

      "The fact that the Pope finds time to listen to the preaching of a simple priest of the Church is an example of extraordinary humility," the Capuchin said.

      "I remember that at one time he was not present on two Fridays, because he was on a trip to Central America. When he returned, at the end of my preaching he moved away from the secretaries and came to apologize to me for missing two sermons," Father Cantalamessa said.

      He continued: "I will never forget the first time I preached in St. Peter's, and I realized that I had to speak very slowly because my voice reverberated and there was a very strong echo. But by speaking slowly, my preaching lasted 10 minutes longer than foreseen. The prefect of the Pontifical Household was worried, with good reason, and every now and then looked at his watch."

      "The next day, as he himself recounted, the Pope called him after the session and told him affably that when someone speaks to us in the name of God we must not look at our watch," the Capuchin recalled.

      "This is an aspect of the Pope that has impressed my greatly; it would seem he is never in a hurry," Father Cantalamessa said. "Despite everything the Pope has to do and all the problems he has to address, when he is with someone he exists only for that person."

      "Once I was caught in Rome's traffic and, despite the driver's efforts, we arrived a quarter of an hour late for the preaching," he added. "To tell the truth, some cardinals were impatient and waiting at the door. The Pope, instead, was tranquil in his chapel, praying the rosary, showing no sign of impatience for my delay."

      * * *

      From Afar, Pope to Join in Mexico's Eucharistic Congress

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II will participate in the International Eucharistic Congress in Mexico this year via a special television connection by satellite, the Holy See announced.

      Both the Mexican episcopal conference as well as the country's government had invited the Pope to visit Guadalajara to participate in the Oct. 10-17 meeting which will open the Year of the Eucharist, which he himself has convoked.

      The length and rigor of the trip would sorely test the Holy Father's fragile health. Instead, he will send Cardinal Jozef Tomko, president of the Pontifical Committee for Eucharistic Congresses, as his legate.

      "The Holy Father will be present through a special television connection, which will allow him to follow the final celebration of the solemn Eucharistic Congress and to address a special message to the pastors and faithful gathered," the Vatican press office explained Saturday

      * * *

      John Paul II Returning to Italian Alps for Vacation
      First Time in 3 Years

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II begins a vacation Monday in the Valle d'Aosta in the Italian Alps.

      Having missed a holiday in the Alps for the past two years -- in 2002 because of the World Youth Day in Canada, and in 2003 because of health problems -- the Pope will breathe fresh alpine air for the 10th time in the village of Les Combes of Introd. The vacation is scheduled to run until July 17.

      On Sunday, after praying the Angelus and bidding the pilgrims farewell, the Holy Father announced his imminent period of rest.

      "While I prepare to live this brief summer holiday, my thoughts go to the families who have planned their holidays in this period: I wish that all will spend them in an environment of serene rest," he said.

      "At the same time, I am thinking of those who for different reasons will not be able to have real vacations," the Pope added.

      "I hope that all can take advantage of a necessary pause in their work activity and that opportune recreational activities will be promoted, enriched by genuine human relations, to relieve persons who are alone and in difficulty," he said.

      During his holidays, the Holy Father will stay in the small Chalet du Fond, made of wood and stone, which the Salesians use for summer camps, and in which an elevator was installed two years ago.

      From his bedroom window in the chalet, and from the dining room, the Pope will be able to see Mont Blanc, the highest peak in Europe.

      During his holiday, the Pope will travel by car to places in the mountains, talk to old friends, read books of philosophy, theology and literature, and dedicate long periods of time to prayer.

      * * *

      Dialogue Can Overcome Catholic-Orthodox Split, Says Pope
      Assesses Visit of Ecumenical Patriarch

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II insists that the force of "dialogue of truth" and "of charity" can overcome the problems that separate Catholics and Orthodox.

      The Pope expressed that view today in the wake of last week's visit to Rome by Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople, the "first among equals" of the Orthodox Churches, on the occasion of the solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul and the 40th anniversary of the encounter between Pope Paul VI and Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I.

      "We were able to address some problems and misunderstandings that arose recently, offering a concrete sign of how Christians can and must always collaborate, even when there are divisions and conflicts," John Paul II said before praying the midday Angelus.

      "It is an eloquent way of proclaiming the Gospel of peace in a world characterized unfortunately by imbalances and violence," he said from the window of his study, addressing thousands gathered below in St. Peter's Square.

      "Acknowledging the positive steps taken until now and without forgetting the obstacles that still exist, we reaffirmed the resolve to continue, more than that, to intensify ecumenical dialogue, whether on the level of fraternal relations --dialogue of charity -- or on that of doctrinal comparison -- dialogue of truth," the Holy Father added.

      At the end of the visit, John Paul II said that he and Bartholomew I signed a joint declaration "which confirms and relaunches the commitment of Catholics and Orthodox in the service of the great cause of full communion of Christians."

      In particular, the Pontiff explained, the patriarchal visit served to remind Catholics and Orthodox that they "are called to work together so that the European continent will not forget its own Christian roots."

      "Only in this way will Europe be able to play its full role in the dialogue between civilizations and in the global promotion of justice, solidarity, and the safeguarding of creation," he said.

      Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, said "it was the most friendly visit" of the three that Bartholomew I has made to Rome, something the patriarch himself confirmed before bidding farewell to the Eternal City.

      The cardinal told Vatican Radio that the past week's meetings have "facilitated" the future of ecumenism, particularly the papal homily of the Mass of Sts. Peter and Paul, which presented the ecumenical journey as "irreversible" and as a "commitment" for anyone who believes in Jesus Christ.

      * * *

      Catholic-Jewish Panel to Meet in Argentina

      BUENOS AIRES, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Cardinal William Keeler of Baltimore, Maryland, will attend the 18th international meeting of the Catholic-Jewish Liaison Committee being held this week in Buenos Aires.

      The meeting will be opened by Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, primate of Argentina.

      Two other cardinals will also attend the four-day meeting that starts Monday: Jorge Mejía, retired archivist and librarian of the Holy Roman Church, and Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

      The Jewish community will have some 30 representatives, led by Israel Singer, head of the International Catholic-Jewish Liaison Committee.

      During the days of the meeting, there will be conferences, talks, debates, and visits to the main religious centers, to enrich Judeo-Catholic relations.

      Since its first meeting in the Vatican in 1965, this initiative has been held in the main capitals of the world.

      * * *

      Sandinista Says Cardinal Deserves Nobel Prize

      MANAGUA, Nicaragua, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Sandinista leader Daniel Ortega, who once bitterly opposed Managua's archbishop, has nominated Cardinal Miguel Obando Bravo for the Nobel Peace Prize, "in recognition of his struggle for national reconciliation."

      Ortega made his proposal recently after meeting with the cardinal at the Catholic University in the capital city, the Salesian News Agency reported.

      "Cardinal Obando has been a determinant element in the effort we made during the Sandinista government, to sign the peace agreements with the counterrevolutionary groups," Ortega said.

      During the meeting, the Sandinista leader also asked the cardinal to preside at a Mass in memory of the 45,000 dead of both sides, who fell during the 1980s military conflict between the Sandinista government and the "contras."

      The cardinal supported the Mass intention as a way to avoid future acts of violence and war.

      During the Mass, prayers will be offered for peace, reconciliation and the eternal repose of all those who died in the civil war.

      The cardinal designated the archdiocese's vicar general to preside over the Mass scheduled for later this month, on the 25th anniversary of the Sandinista revolution.

      * * *

      Auxiliary Named for Baltimore

      BALTIMORE, Maryland, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II has named Monsignor Mitchell Rozanski, a pastor in Severna Park, as auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Baltimore.

      Bishop-elect Rozanski, 45, will fill the vacancy left by the retirement of Bishop William Newman last August.

      Mitchell Rozanski was born in Baltimore. He studied at the Theological College at the Catholic University of America, where he received seminary training. He was ordained a priest of the archdiocese in November 1984.

      * * *

      Holy See Urges All Nations to Adopt Land-Mine Ban
      Appeal Made on Ottawa Convention

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See made an urgent appeal to all countries to adopt and respect the Ottawa Convention aimed at banning land mines.

      The appeal was made on behalf of the Pope by Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Holy See's permanent observer to the United Nations in Geneva, when addressing the second preparatory meeting of the First Review Conference of the Ottawa Convention, held in Geneva last Monday and Tuesday.

      The review conference will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from Nov. 29 to Dec. 3. Archbishop Tomasi said that John Paul II will be sending a "special message" to the conference.

      Referring to antipersonnel mines, the archbishop said that "mines have made the poor even poorer, victims without hands and feet, children without a future, farmers without land to cultivate, and young generations with a future on their ancestral land and whose only alternative is uprooting and migrating toward an uncertain tomorrow."

      The Ottawa Convention entered into force March 1, 1999. Since then, 116 countries have destroyed 31 million land mines. As of February, 141 nations have become parties to the convention.

      Archbishop Tomasi described the convention as a "pioneer and efficacious" tool. "The norm established by the convention should be universal in practice, as it translates a humanitarian concern without ambiguities," he said.

      "How many times have we lamented the indiscriminate option for certain arms which have become a source of unjustified distress and suffering instead of being a source of security and protection?" the papal representative asked the participants in the meeting.

      The Ottawa Convention "is a significant step in the right direction, the direction of authentic peace founded on justice, reconciliation, freedom and sincere cooperation among all countries," he concluded.

      * * *

      Pius XII's Aid to Jews Was So Great That It Stirred Protests
      New Revelations of Vatican Archives, Analyzed by Historian

      ROME, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Documentation from the Vatican Secret Archives has revealed that Pope Pius XII's wartime assistance to Jews was so great that it stirred protests in some Catholic circles.

      This is confirmed in letters published together with the registers of the Vatican Information Office on Prisoners of War, established by Pius XII, with the title "Inter Arma Caritas."

      Press agencies published one of the letters reproduced in Volume 2, pages 950-951, sent to the Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Luigi Maglione, on July 21, 1943, by Archbishop Andrea Cassulo, apostolic nuncio in Romania, in which he referred to "some protests."

      Bishop Agostino Pacha of Timisoara, Romania, wrote that in his community there were protests, "as the greater part of messages transmitted to this nunciature are for persons of the Jewish race," to the point that he spoke of the Holy See's "preference" for Jews.

      Archbishop Cassulo presented a copy of a letter in Latin, written by a Monsignor Tacha, in which he spoke about the protests of his faithful -- 78% of whom were of German origin -- who accused the Church "openly and publicly" of supporting and having good relations with the Jews, "enemies of the Germanic people."

      In the letter, the apostolic nuncio explained that he sent a circular to the Romanian bishops in which he clarified the reasons for the Holy See's assistance "not taking into account any political consideration or any nationality or race." In the missive, the nuncio asked the secretary of state to advise him what he should do.

      In order to understand better these new discoveries of the Vatican archives, ZENIT interviewed Father Peter Gumpel, a historian and expert on the matter.

      Q: What do the recently published Vatican archives say about the Holy See's relation with Jews and about the protests of some Catholic circles?

      Father Gumpel: First of all, it must be recognized that the Catholic Church carried out an enormous work of assistance to Jews.

      A. Safran, the rabbi of Romania, expressed on various occasions his gratitude to the apostolic nuncio, Archbishop Andrea Cassulo.

      On April 7, 1944, he wrote him this message: "In these hard times, our thoughts go more than ever to what the Supreme Pontiff has done in favor of Jews in general and to Your Excellency in favor of Romania and Transylvania. These deeds will never be forgotten." [See Civiltà Cattolica, 1961, Volume 3, p. 462]

      Moreover, in Volume 10, pages 428-429, of the "Minutes and Documents of the Holy See Relating to the Second World War," in a message sent by Archbishop Cassulo to Monsignor Domenico Tardini [a future secretary of state], the full article appears which was published by the Romanian newspaper Mantuirea, in which Rabbi Safran recounts how, thanks to the interventions of the nuncio and "with the help of God, he succeeded in having no more deportations take place."

      Q: What can you say about the protests of Catholics because of the Holy See's help to Jews?

      Father Gumpel: The work of assistance to the victims of war and to Jews, ordered in particular by Pius XII, was so extensive and intense that it caused surprise even among some ecclesiastics.

      When Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli himself [the future Pope John XXIII], who did so much for the Jews, was apostolic delegate in Turkey, after the umpteenth recommendation by the Holy See to help and foster the Jewish emigration to Palestine, he wrote these words to Maglione on September 4, 1943: "I confess that this sending by the Holy See of Jews to Palestine, which seems a reconstruction of the Jewish Kingdom, beginning by making them leave Italy, causes me some uncertainty in spirit."

      Q: Do the testimonies contained in "Inter Arma Caritas" contribute something new?

      Father Gumpel: These new historical tendencies deny definitively many articles on the alleged silence and insensibility of Pope Pius XII in regard to the Jews. As can be seen, there were people who criticized the Pontiff for doing too much for the Jews.

      Also denied are theses, such as Susan Zuccotti's, according to which the work of assistance to Jews was the result of individual actions, of which Pius XII knew nothing.

      From all the correspondence of the nuncios, it is obvious that the work of assistance was determined, directed and organized directly by Pope Pius XII.

      * * *

      In the Wake of Ecumenical Patriarch's Visit
      "Catholics and Orthodox Are Called to Work Together," Says Pope

      VATICAN CITY, JULY 4, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today before praying the midday Angelus with the crowds gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      1. I am profoundly grateful to God for the recent visit of the ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople, His Holiness Bartholomew I, whom in the past days I had the joy of having as my guest on the Vatican, together with his qualified entourage. We celebrated together the feast of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, commemorating the historic meeting between our venerable predecessors Paul VI and Athenagoras I, which occurred 40 years ago in Jerusalem.

      In addition, we signed a joint declaration, which confirms and relaunches the commitment of Catholics and Orthodox in the service of the great cause of full communion of Christians.

      2. Acknowledging the positive steps taken until now and without forgetting the obstacles that still exist, we reaffirmed the resolve to continue, more than that, to intensify ecumenical dialogue, whether on the level of fraternal relations ("dialogue of charity") or on that of doctrinal comparison ("dialogue of truth").

      With this spirit we were able to address some problems and misunderstandings that arose recently, offering a concrete sign of how Christians can and must always collaborate, even when there are divisions and conflicts. It is an eloquent way of proclaiming the Gospel of peace in a world characterized unfortunately by imbalances and violence.

      Moreover, in the course of the meeting there was the realization that Catholics and Orthodox are called to work together so that the European continent will not forget its own Christian roots. Only in this way will Europe be able to play its full role in the dialogue between civilizations and in the global promotion of justice, solidarity and the safeguarding of creation.

      3. May God bring to fulfillment the objectives formulated in this meeting. We entrust them to the maternal intercession of Mary Most Holy.

      * * *

      NOTICE

      Roman Catholic News will publish a few more issues this July. No issues will be published in August and the first few weeks of September.

      Thank you for your subscription.

      John N. Lupia, Editor

      available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer

      well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing
      prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed
      the

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession
      of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about
      the

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions
      will

      below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by
      date;

      specified