  • montana_morning_star
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2004

      MONDAY 7 JUNE 20

      * * *

      Servant of God Joseph Perez

      (1890-1928)

      • SWITZERLAND NORMALIZES DIPLOMATIC TIES WITH HOLY SEE
      . UNITY AMONG CATHOLICS CONTRIBUTES TO ECUMENISM
      . IN BRIEF
      . Date Set for Release of Pope's Book in U.S.
      . Mary's Maternal Martyrdom
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      SWITZERLAND NORMALIZES DIPLOMATIC TIES WITH HOLY SEE

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 5, 2004 (VIS) - Pope John Paul flew to Switzerland
      this morning, the third apostolic trip of his pontificate to this
      country, arriving at 11:30 a.m. at the military airport of Payerne,
      about 50 miles from the capital city of Bern, where he was welcomed
      by President Joseph Deiss of the Swiss Confederation. Numerous civil
      and religious authorities, including Archbishop Giacomo De Nicolo,
      apostolic nuncio and Bishop Grab of Chur, president of the Episcopal
      conference, were also present.

      President Deiss, in his welcome speech, announced that Switzerland,
      which broke off diplomatic ties with the Holy See in 1873 and only
      set up a lower-level mission in 1991, would normalize its relations
      with the Holy See and send a full ambassador-level representative to
      Rome. Hansrudolf Hoffman, who has special emissary duties and
      currently resides in Prague, will be the ambassador to the Holy See.
      The 2004 Pontifical Yearbook lists Hoffman, appointed in December
      2001, as "ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary on special
      mission to the Holy See." Normally, in the list of ambassadors
      accredited to the Holy See, the words "special mission" do not
      appear after their title.

      The Holy See does have an apostolic nuncio in Switzerland, even
      though diplomatic ties have been an anomaly over the years. The
      first Church representative was sent to Lucerne in 1597 and was
      accredited for many centuries only to the Catholic cantons of
      Switzerland.

      The Pope, in his speech at the airport, called Switzerland "a
      crossroads of languages and cultures," noting that the
      Swiss "preserve old traditions and yet are open to modern ideas." He
      said that "the purpose of my trip is to meet young Swiss Catholics
      on the occasion of their national gathering. I will be with them
      tonight at the Bern Expo Center and it will be an evening of
      celebration for them and also for me."

      "It is the duty to proclaim the Gospel of Christ which leads me to
      travel the world, to propose it again to the men and women of the
      third millennium, especially the younger generations. Christ is the
      Redeemer of mankind! Whoever believes in Him and follows him becomes
      a builder of the civilization of love and peace." He asked the Swiss
      people to allow him to enter their hearts and homes in his
      thoughts, "proposing again the joyous Gospel proclamation of Christ
      the Savior, addressing to each of you His wish for peace!"

      Following the welcome ceremony, the Pope traveled in a special van
      to the Viktoriaheim Residence in Bern where lunch was served. This
      residence is home to the Sisters of Charity of the Holy Cross and
      houses about 75 religious and 80 elderly people.

      At 6 p.m. John Paul II, prior to leaving the residence for the
      meeting with young people, was greeted by the mayor of Bern and six
      city council members. The building at the Expo Center where the Pope
      and young people met is used for sports and normally houses 16,000
      people but, with the papal altar, seated about 10,000 at tonight's
      event. For the young people this was the culmination of their day
      which began when they started arriving in the capital from around
      Switzerland at 11 in the morning.

      Bishop Amedee Grab welcomed the Holy Father and his speech was
      followed by a dance choreographed to Psalm 8, and a witness to their
      faith given by three young people who spoke in German, French and
      Italian. Following the Pope's talk to them, the young people
      sang "Levons-nous" (Let us arise), the hymn of the national
      encounter of Swiss Youth, recited the Our Father and then the Pope
      imparted a blessing.

      The Holy Father noted that the words "leve-toi" referred to words
      in the Gospel of Luke spoken by Jesus in Nain to a young man, an
      only child, who had died and whose bier was being accompanied by his
      mother. He said he was in Switzerland to say these same words to
      young people, to ask them to arise and follow Christ as His
      disciples.

      He told the young people they could be part of "that sad procession
      in Nain" if they "give in to desperation, are seduced by the mirages
      of consumer societies and distracted from true joy by enjoying
      passing pleasures, if you become wrapped up in indifference and
      superficiality, if, in the face of evil and suffering you doubt
      God's presence and His love for every person, if you seek in a
      disordered affection the answer to your inner thirst for true and
      pure love."

      "It is in such moments that Christ comes close to you ... and
      says 'arise'. 'Welcome my invitation to get back up!'"

      "Christianity," added the Pope, "is not a simple book of culture or
      an ideology; nor is it a system of values or principles, even lofty
      ones. Christianity is a person, a presence, a face: Jesus, Who gives
      meaning and fullness to man's life."

      "Do not be afraid of meeting Christ," he told his young
      listeners. "I too, like you, once was 20 years old. I loved sports,
      skiing, acting. I studied and I worked, I had desires and concerns.
      In those years, now in the distant past, in times when my native
      country was wounded by war and then by the totalitarian regime, I
      sought meaning for my life. I found it in following Christ!"

      "My second invitation to you is 'Listen!' Never tire of the
      difficult discipline of listening. Listen to the Lord's voice as He
      speaks to you in the events of everyday life, the joys and
      sufferings that accompany you, the persons near you, the voice of
      your conscience thirsty for the truth, for happiness, goodness and
      beauty." If you listen carefully, he said, you will be able to
      discern your vocation, be it for family life or a call to the
      priesthood and religious life.

      He asked the young people, with their energies enthusiasm and
      ideals, "to make the Gospel permeate the fabric of society and
      produce a civilization of authentic justice and love without
      discrimination."

      * * *

      UNITY AMONG CATHOLICS CONTRIBUTES TO ECUMENISM

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 6, 2004 (VIS) - This morning John Paul II left the
      Viktoriaheim Residence for Allmend Square in Bern, located in front
      of the Ice Palace, where he met with young people yesterday
      afternoon. At 10:30 a.m., the Pope presided at a Mass in which
      Swiss bishops, bishops from others parts of the world and other
      priests concelebrated. Joseph Deiss, president of Switzerland, was
      also present.

      In his homily, the Holy Father said that the "celebration of the
      mystery of the Most Holy Trinity constitutes for Christians every
      year an energetic call to our commitment to unity. It is a call that
      concerns us all, pastors and faithful, and it drives us to a renewed
      awareness of our own responsibility in the Church, Christ's bride.
      How can we not talk about our concern for ecumenism in light of
      these words of Christ? I reaffirm also on this occasion the will to
      go forward on the path, full of joy, to the full communion of
      believers."

      "It is certain, however," he continued, "that a great contribution
      to the ecumenical cause comes from the commitment of Catholics to
      live unity amongst themselves. ... A local Church in which the
      spirituality of communion flourishes will know how to completely
      purify itself of all the 'toxins' of selfishness which create
      jealousy, distrust, desires for auto-affirmation, and deleterious
      conflicts."

      The Pope indicated that "evoking these risks requires spontaneous
      prayer to the Holy Spirit whom Jesus has promised to send us: 'When
      the Spirit of truth comes, it will guide you into all the truth.'
      What is the truth? Jesus said one day: 'I am the way, the truth and
      the life.' Therefore, the proper way to phrase the question is
      not 'what is the truth,' but rather 'who is the truth?' This is the
      question that men of the third millennium ask themselves. ... We
      cannot suppress the response because we know what it is! The truth
      is Jesus Christ, ... and we are called to bear witness to this truth
      with the words and especially with our life."

      After emphasizing that the Church "is mission," John Paul II said
      that the moment had arrived "to prepare young generations of
      apostles who are not afraid to proclaim the Gospel. All baptized
      persons must move on from a faith of convenience to a mature faith
      which is expressed in clear personal choices that are decisive and
      courageous. Only this kind of faith, celebrated and shared in the
      liturgy and in fraternal charity can nourish and strengthen the
      community of disciples of the Lord and build up a missionary Church
      free of false fears because it is sure of the Father's love."

      The Holy Father said that "we do not deserve God's love, but it is
      a gratuitous gift. Despite our sins, God has called us and has
      redeemed us, through Christ's blood. His grace has profoundly cured
      us. ... How great is the Lord's love for me, for others and for
      every human being!" he exclaimed. "This is the true source of man's
      greatness, the root of his indestructible dignity. The image of God
      is reflected in all human beings. Here is the deepest 'truth' of man
      which must not be denied or violated in any case. Any outrage
      perpetrated against man is an outrage against His creator Who loves
      him with the love of a father."

      "Switzerland," he concluded, "has a great tradition of respect for
      man. It is a tradition which is behind the sign of the Cross: the
      red cross! Christians of this noble country, always be equal to your
      glorious past! Know how to recognize and to honor God's image in
      every human being! In man, created by God, the glory of the Most
      Holy Trinity is reflected."

      Upon concluding the Mass and before praying the Angelus, the Pope
      entrusted the Swiss people to Our Lady. "May Mary watch over
      families, preserving their conjugal love and sustaining their
      mission as parents! May she comfort the elderly and help them to
      make a precious contribution to society! May she nourish in young
      people a sense of values and a commitment to live them! May she
      obtain for the national community the constant and harmonious will
      to build together a peaceful and prosperous country, with great
      attention and profound solidarity with those in difficulty."

      He continued: "I wanted to entrust the youth of Switzerland, for
      whom the Pope feels affection and gratitude, in a special way to
      Mary. For five centuries, the young people of this country have
      assured the Successor of Peter and the Holy See the precious and
      esteemed service of the Pontifical Swiss Guard. Everyone can admire
      the spirit of faith and love for the Church of many Swiss Catholics
      in the generous fidelity of the Swiss Guards."

      John Paul II concluded by asking Our Lady to help Switzerland "to
      maintain harmony and unity among the different liturgical and ethnic
      groups that compose it, valuing the contribution of each one."

      After eating lunch in the residence of the Sisters of Charity of
      the Holy Cross, the Pope bid the nuns, the elderly and the staff
      farewell. At 5:15 p.m., he participated in a brief gathering with
      300 members of the Association of former Swiss Guards, accompanied
      by their family members in the square in front of the residence
      where he is staying.

      "The Successor of Peter," said the Pope, "has a special debt of
      recognition with the Catholic community of this country because of
      the Swiss Guards" who lend a "singular service" to the papacy. The
      Pope thanked the members of the association, which consists of 800
      people, "for what you have done and what you continue to do and I
      encourage you to continue in your commitment as witnesses of Christ
      and of fidelity to the Church in an ever-changing world."

      Later, the Pope went to the military airport of Payerne where he
      said goodbye to President Deiss. After a flight of under two hours
      he arrived in Rome.

      * * *

      IN BRIEF

      MADE PUBLIC TODAY WAS A LETTER FROM THE HOLY FATHER to Bishop Heinz
      Josef Algermissen of Fulda, Germany on the occasion of the 1250th
      anniversary of the martyrdom of St. Boniface, "Apostle of Germany."
      The feast day of the bishop and martyr is June 5.

      ON THE OCCASION OF THE 34th General Assembly of the Organization of
      American States which takes place on June 6-8 in Quito, Ecuador,
      Cardinal Angelo Sodano sent a letter in the Holy Father's name to
      the assembly's president, Ambassador Patricio Zuquilanda, minister
      of Foreign Relations for Ecuador and the ministers of the American
      States and the Caribbean who are participating in the meeting. The
      cardinal secretary of State recalls the Pope's visit twenty five
      years ago to the OAS headquarters in Washington where, among other
      things, he affirmed "durable peace is not obtained by accumulating
      arms." The cardinal invites countries with more resources to finance
      development projects "that constitute the foundation for durable
      peace."

      VATICAN CITY, JUN 5, 2004 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of
      Riohacha, Colombia, presented by Bishop Armando Larios Jimenez in
      accordance with Canon 401, para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.

      - Appointed Fr. Giovanni D'Alise of the diocese of Acerra, Italy and
      pastor of St. Alfonso di Cancello Scalo, as bishop of Ariano Irpino-
      Lacedonia (area 781, population 71,942, Catholics 71,329, priests
      50, religious 82), Italy. The bishop-elect was born in 1948 in
      Naples, Italy and was ordained a priest in 1972.

      * * *

      Date Set for Release of Pope's Book in U.S.

      NEW YORK, JUNE 6, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The U.S. version of John Paul
      II's latest book is expected to be published this September.

      The book, "Rise, Let Us Be On Our Way," covers a 20-year period when
      Karol Wojtyla was auxiliary bishop and then archbishop of Krakow, in
      Poland.

      The book is scheduled to be released Sept. 28 by Time Warner Book
      Group, the Associated Press reported. The original version was
      published last month in Italy.

      * * *

      Mary's Maternal Martyrdom
      Address by Father Jean Galot

      VATICAN CITY, JUNE 6, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Here is the address that
      Father Jean Galot, a consultor for the Congregation for Clergy and
      retired professor of theology of the Gregorian University, delivered
      May 28 during the worldwide videoconference organized by the Vatican
      dicastery on "Martyrdom and the New Martyrs."

      * * *

      Mary, Queen of Martyrs
      By Father Jean Galot

      In speaking of Mary as the Queen of Martyrs, we wish to acknowledge
      Mary's eminent role in the work of redemption, since this work gives
      rise to the heroic offering of martyrdom.

      The value of martyrdom was particularly emphasized by Jesus when he
      spoke to Peter, saying: "Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were
      younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but
      when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else
      will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." The
      evangelist added: "He said this signifying by what kind of death he
      would glorify God" (John 21:18-19).

      The announcement made to Peter indicates the importance of martyrdom
      as the supreme gift that associates the apostle to his Master's
      destiny. Jesus had said to his disciple: "Graze the flock." To fully
      accomplish this mission as a shepherd, Peter was called upon to
      share the sacrifice of his own life: "A good shepherd lays down his
      life for the sheep" (John 10:11).

      The prophecy of martyrdom had been even stronger for Peter, because,
      in the first announcement of the Passion, Peter had reacted
      violently; he had rebelled and requested that this painful warning
      should be removed from the plan. But Jesus reproached him: "You do
      not think according to God, but according to men" (Matthew 8:32).
      Later he understood that this test was necessary for fulfilling the
      mission. The announcement of the future martyrdom confirms this
      truth.

      We can observe that the circumstances of the announcement led Peter
      to reflect in his mind, with the comparison between his destiny and
      that of the favorite disciple, when Peter had asked about
      John: "Lord, what about him?" (John 21:21). And he had received an
      answer that indicated a destiny very different from martyrdom: "If I
      want him to remain until I come, what concern is it of yours?"

      According to Christ's will, the apostle John was not to die a
      violent death, but was to wait for the coming of him who called him
      and who at a chosen time would end his earthly life.

      John's destiny shows us that not all the apostles died the deaths of
      martyrs. This helps us understand better that it was not necessary
      for Mary to provide the supreme testimony of martyrdom to be fully
      united with her Son in fulfilling the redeeming mission.

      It is certain that Mary offered Jesus the highest possible
      participation in the redeeming mission and that this participation
      resulted in many fruits for humankind. This participation however
      did not involve sharing the crucifixion. [Rather,] it was
      appropriate to her role as a mother. Mary's pain was that of a
      maternal heart. In this sense she experienced a martyrdom of the
      heart, not of the body.

      In this perspective, Mary is the Queen of Martyrs, because in her,
      martyrdom found a new expression, the commitment to a pain that
      touches the profoundest point if the soul is in unity with the
      suffering of the crucified Christ. This suffering is perfectly
      offered with total generosity.

      In Mary, participation in the redeeming sacrifice is marked by
      serenity and meekness that are well-suited to a maternal heart: At
      times the circumstances of martyrdom could lead to temptations
      involving revenge or hostility. The heart of Jesus' Mother, in the
      suffering of the cross, remained full of compassion and forgiveness.
      For Mary, participation in the Savior's offering meant participation
      in the goodness of Christ's meek and humble heart.

      On Calvary, Mary bore witness to mercy in a superior manner,
      corresponding to the fundamental meaning of martyrdom. Her maternal
      heart overflowed with love for Christ and for the whole of
      humankind.

      available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require
      Realplayer

      well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing
      prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed
      the

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession
      of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about
      the

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language=EN>

      approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions
      will

      below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by
      date;

      specified