    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2004

      WEDNESDAY 17 March 2004

      St. Patrick

      • CHRISTIANS CULTIVATE HOPE IN THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE
      • JOHN PAUL II TO BEATIFY FOUR ON SUNDAY
      • OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS
      • China Reportedly Frees Bishop Wei Jingyi
      • Jim Caviezel Tells of Meeting With Pope
      • Colombian Episcopate Promotes Day of the Unborn
      • Bishops Seek a Family-Friendly Europe
      • LECTIO DIVINA
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      CHRISTIANS CULTIVATE HOPE IN THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 17, 2004 (VIS) – Psalm 20, “Thanksgiving for the victory of the Messiah-King,” was the theme of the Pope’s catechesis during the general audience celebrated this morning in St. Peter’s Square.

        The Pope said that this psalm, “one of the royal psalms,” expresses the gratitude of the people for “what God has done in favor of the Hebrew sovereign on the solemn day of his enthronement.”

        God, he continued, showers blessing on the king who is “a reflection of the light of God in the midst of humanity. … The prophet Nathan also assured David of this blessing which is a source of stability, sustenance and safety.”

        “When we recite this psalm, we see the face of Christ, the Messiah King in the figure of the Hebrew king . … He is the Son of God in the fullest sense and is therefore the presence of God in the midst of humanity.  He is the light and the life. … In this way, the psalmist announces His resurrection from the dead and that He, risen from the dead, is immortal. … Based on this certainty,” he concluded, “Christians cultivate hope in the gift of eternal life.”

        While greeting pilgrims in Polish, John Paul II recalled that Friday is the solemnity of St. Joseph, spouse of Our Lady. “This solemnity,” he affirmed, “urges families of today, comforted by the example of Mary and Joseph, who lovingly cared for the Word Incarnate, to be inspired by their lifestyle when making daily decisions and to gather strength to overcome difficulties. Only in an authentic family, one that is united and loving, can children mature in a healthy way, following the example of unconditional love, fidelity, reciprocal self-giving and respect for life. I ask Polish families to strive to be this way. May God bless you all.”

        The Holy Father also addressed a group of pilgrims from the Italian archdiocese of Spoleto-Norcia, accompanied by a delegation that just returned from the Holy Land where they lit the Benedictine torch of peace a few days ago in Nazareth and, after the stop in Rome, will proceed to Norcia. “I am pleased,” he said, “by your renewed commitment to harmony among peoples. I hope that your region, land of St. Francis and St. Benedict, may be ever more conscious of the spiritual values that forged the thought, art and culture of Italy and Europe.”

      * * *

      JOHN PAUL II TO BEATIFY FOUR ON SUNDAY

      VATICAN CITY. MAR 17, 2004 (VIS) – On Sunday March 21 at 10 a.m. in St. Peter’s Square, Pope John Paul will beatify Servants of God: Luigi Talamoni (1848-1926), priest, founder of the Congregation of the Merciful Sisters of St. Gerard; Matilde del Sagrado Corazon Tellez Robles (1841-1902), virgin, foundress of the Congregation of the Daughters of Mary Mother of the Church; Piedad de la Cruz Ortiz Real (1842-1916), virgin, foundress of the Congregation of the Salesian Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus; Maria Candida dell’Eucaristia (1884-1949), virgin, nun of the Order of Discalced Carmelites.

      VATICAN CITY, MAR 17, 2004 (VIS) – The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Paolo Trombetta as general accountant of the Prefecture for Economic Affairs of the Holy See.

      - Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Magdeburg, Germany presented by Bishop Leopold Nowak upon having reached the age limit.

      * * *

      China Reportedly Frees Bishop Wei Jingyi

      Vatican Had Reacted Strongly to His Arrest

      BEIJING, MARCH 16, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Bishop Wei Jingyi, the underground leader of the Qiqihar Diocese arrested March 5, has been released, AsiaNews sources in China reported.

      The sources said the bishop had gone to an airport to pick up some foreign friends. On leaving the airport and paying the toll, he and the driver of the car were stopped and arrested. His two foreign guests, French citizens, were also arrested, but released a few hours later.

      News of Bishop Wei's arrest had provoked a strong reaction from the Holy See.

      The director of the Vatican press office, Joaquín Navarro-Valls, said the Holy See was "worried and saddened" and asked Chinese authorities to reveal their accusations against the bishop "as occurs in any lawful state."

      "The Holy See has no reason to doubt the bishop's innocence," Navarro-Valls said in a statement.

      The next day an indirect response came from Beijing via the country's Foreign Ministry spokesman, who said that the prelate was being held "for questioning" about falsifying a document to leave the country.

      Catholics in the Qiqihar Diocese feared the bishop would be released only after Easter in order to avoid unauthorized Holy Week gatherings and festivities.

      Bishop Wei's sudden release on Sunday afternoon came as the National People's Congress was in session. The annual meeting of the Chinese Parliament found Chinese leaders debating whether to introduce the terms "freedom of faith" and "protection of human rights" into the country’s Constitution.

      The bishop's release saves the government from embarrassment, as it is often criticized for stating things in theory but not backing them up in practice, AsiaNews reported today.

      Other sources said the fact that foreigners were involved in the arrest facilitated the prelate's release.

      According to AsiaNews, there are around 50 bishops and priests detained in Chinese prisons or prevented from practicing their ministry.

      About 20 priests are in prisons or labor camps. Bishop James Su Zhimin and his auxiliary, Francis An Shuxin, from the Baoding Diocese, have spent the most time behind bars. Police arrested them in 1996.

      * * *

      Jim Caviezel Tells of Meeting With Pope

      Actor Who Plays Jesus in "The Passion" Thanked Holy Father for Letter to Artists

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 16, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Jim Caviezel, who plays Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ," thanked John Paul II for his witness which the actor said has profoundly inspired his own life.

      Caviezel spoke today with a group of journalists about his private audience Monday with the Pope. They spoke, among other things, of the 1999 letter the Holy Father wrote to artists, Caviezel said. The actor said the letter has helped him personally.

      The rest was "private," Caviezel told journalists in the Vatican, including a ZENIT representative.

      The audience took place in the Pope's private library. "I couldn't tell you how long it lasted," said Caviezel. He said he did not look at his watch as he was absorbed in the Holy Father's conversation.

      ZENIT saw some of the pictures taken during the meeting, and learned that John Paul II gave Caviezel a rosary. Caviezel and his wife were seated in front of the Pope's desk.

      "John Paul II is a very special man for a very special world. He is the Pope of Fatima," Caviezel said in reference to the explanation given by the Holy See to the so-called third secret of the Virgin confided to the three little Portuguese shepherds. "The Pope is a mystic. He loves Christ."

      Caviezel said of the film's director: "Mel Gibson is very, very Catholic, very Roman Catholic."

      "Many celebrities say they are Catholics but they do not follow the Vatican, on pro-life issues, on capital punishment," Caviezel added. "When you see Mel Gibson's film, is it Protestant? Is it Muslim? Is it Catholic? What do you see?

      "It is very Catholic, very universal. It is a great way to introduce people to what it means to be Catholic: It is universal, for all peoples, for all times."

      For Caviezel, to be involved in the film was a "real spiritual experience."

      "You can't see what is shown and remain indifferent" -- much less so if, as an actor, one penetrates the character to give the best of oneself, he said.

      In acting the part, Caviezel said to himself: "I don't want people to see me; I just want them to see Jesus."

      To come to this experience, Caviezel added, "I began with the rosary, the rosary led me to confession, confession led me to the Mass, every day, and always when I have the Eucharist in my body, I feel more like being in Christ."

      The actor also responded to some accusations of anti-Semitism made by some groups against the film.

      As a believer, Caviezel said, "I am Semitic. It is my lineage. I am from the House of David and Abraham."

      If "someone says the film is anti-Semitic, the Bible should also be considered anti-Semitic," he said. Caviezel added that he has suggested to Jewish compatriots to make a film on Moses or David.

      On Monday, Caviezel presented the film "The Passion of the Christ" to some ecclesiastics who live in Rome, before it was shown at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical Athenaeum.

      * * *

      Colombian Episcopate Promotes Day of the Unborn

      BOGOTA, Colombia, MARCH 16, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The Colombian episcopate invited the country's Catholics to observe the Day of the Unborn on March 25, feast of the Annunciation.

      "This event is an attempt to promote the annual observance of a day in defense of children who are conceived but not yet born. The central theme will be the defense of human life that is gestating in the wombs of mothers who joyfully expect a child," explains an informative note by the bishops' Department of Social Communication in the bulletin Spectativa.

      "A new element that intervenes in the motivation for this Day is the need to give formation on the meaning of paternity and maternity, especially to adolescents and youths," it adds.

      In this connection, the episcopate's Family Section gave evangelization agents, especially those dedicated to marriage and family pastoral care, a book entitled "National Pro-Life Day: Love, the Cradle of Life."

      The volume also includes a document of Cardinal Alfonso López Trujillo, president of the Pontifical Council for the Family, on "Family Values Against Safe Sex."

      * * *

      Bishops Seek a Family-Friendly Europe

      BRUSSELS, Belgium, MARCH 16, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The Commission of the Bishops' Conferences of the European Community has encouraged the European Union to make families a priority.

      The COMECE Secretariat published detailed proposals today for an EU Family Strategy designed to make the enlarged Union "the most family-friendly region of the world by 2010."

      The strategy would "complement the existing Lisbon Strategy on economic growth and social reform," COMECE said in a statement.

      "Family policy is and should remain the primary responsibility of member states," of the Europe Union, the COMECE secretariat added.

      The COMECE strategy contains detailed proposals to promote:

      -- the integration of elderly people within society -- primarily through helping their families to help them.

      -- fairer children-friendly regulations and policies.

      -- fairer regulations and policies on marriage and parenting.

      -- closer links between generations.

      -- public support for families in particular need.

      -- family associations and a better representation of families in public life.

      "Promoting the family will ultimately make EU citizens happier, produce greater social cohesion, have a positive effect on public health, and may in the process contribute to reversing the decline in the EU birthrate," the COMECE statement concludes.

      The proposed strategy can be downloaded at <http://www.comece.org/upload/pdf/secr_family_040316_en.pdf>

      Today's reading is taken from the Gospel of Matthew 5:17-19.

      To promote the kingdom of heaven on earth we are to advocate the law of God by word and deed. The law of God is always the right course of action for persons to take in everyday life. The law of God is the guide for the Church that directs our behavior. The law of God reflects what love demands of us. The law of God is the foundation of the Catholic Church in all She believes and teaches. Obeying the Church and the Holy See in all things is to fulfill what Jesus asks of His disciples in the Gospel. Today's reading calls us to reflect on our personal fidelity to the teachings of the Church and our own personal promotion of Church doctrine by word and deed.

      <http://www.clairval.com/lettre.cgi?language==EN>