    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004

      FRIDAY 30 January 2004

      • Papal Message for Lent 2004
      • Failure of a Marriage Doesn't Prove Its Nullity, Says Pope
      • Vatican Pushing for Low-Cost AIDS Medication
      • Faith and Action United in Message, Says Archbishop
      • Message Isn't About Sentimentalism, Says Vatican Official
      • In Scotland, an Offensive for Marriage and the Family
      • The Joy of Being a Woman of God
      • 1st African Woman Earns Doctorate at Biblical Institute
      • LECTIO DIVINA
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      Papal Message for Lent 2004

      "Whoever Receives One Such Child in My Name Receives Me"

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 29, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Here is John Paul II's Message for Lent 2004, issued today by the Vatican press office.

      Message of His Holiness John Paul II for Lent 2004

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. The evocative rite of the imposition of ashes marks the beginning of the holy season of Lent, when the Liturgy once more calls the faithful to radical conversion and trust in God's mercy.

      This year's theme -- "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me" (Matthew 18:5) -- invites us to reflect on the condition of children. Today Jesus continues to call them to himself and to set them as an example to all those who wish to be his disciples. Jesus’ words call upon us to see how children are treated in our families, in civil society, and in the Church. They are also an incentive to rediscover the simplicity and trust which believers must cultivate in imitation of the Son of God, who shared the lot of the little ones and the poor. Saint Clare of Assisi loved to say that Christ, "lay in a manger, lived in poverty on the earth and died naked on the Cross" (Testament, Franciscan Sources, No. 2841).

      Jesus had a particular love for children because of "their simplicity, their joy of life, their spontaneity, and their faith filled with wonder" (Angelus Message, 18 December 1994). For this reason he wishes the community to open its arms and its heart to them, even as he did: "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me" (Matthew 18:5). Alongside children Jesus sets the "very least of the brethren": the suffering, the needy, the hungry and thirsty, strangers, the naked, the sick, and the imprisoned. In welcoming them and loving them, or in treating them with indifference and contempt, we show our attitude towards him, for it is in them that he is particularly present.

      2. The Gospel recounts the childhood of Jesus in the simple home of Nazareth, where he was obedient to his parents and "increased in wisdom and in years, and in favor with God and man" (Luke 2:52). By becoming himself a child, he wished to share our human experience. "He emptied himself," writes the Apostle Paul, "taking the form of a slave, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a Cross" (Philippians 2:7-8). When at twelve years old he remained in the Temple in Jerusalem, he said to his parents who anxiously looked for him: "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?" (Luke 2:49). Indeed, his whole life was marked by a trusting and filial obedience to his heavenly Father. "My food," he said, "is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work" (John 4:34).

      In the years of his public life Jesus often insisted that only those who become like children will enter the Kingdom of Heaven (cf. Matthew 18:3; Mark 10:15; Luke 18:17; John 3:3). In his teaching, young children become a striking image of the disciple who is called to follow the divine Master with childlike docility: "Whoever humbles himself like this child, he is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven" (Matthew 18:4).

      "To become" one of the least and "to receive" the little ones: these are two aspects of a single teaching which the Lord repeats to his disciples in our time. Only the one who makes himself one of the "least" is able to receive with love the "least" of our brothers and sisters.

      3. Many believers strive faithfully to follow these teachings of the Lord. Here I would mention those parents who willingly take on the responsibility of a large family, mothers and fathers who, rather than considering success in their profession and career as the highest value, make every effort to pass on to their children those human and religious values that give true meaning to life.

      With great admiration I also think of all those committed to caring for underprivileged children and those who alleviate the sufferings of children and their families resulting from war and violence, inadequate food and water, forced immigration and the many forms of injustice present in the world.

      Together with such great generosity, however, a word must be said about the selfishness of those who do not "receive" children. There are young people who have been profoundly hurt by the violence of adults: sexual abuse, forced prostitution, involvement in the sale and use of drugs; children forced to work or enlisted for combat; young children scarred forever by the breakup of the family; little ones caught up in the obscene trafficking of organs and persons. What too of the tragedy of AIDS and its devastating consequences in Africa? It is said that millions of persons are now afflicted by this scourge, many of whom were infected from birth. Humanity cannot close its eyes in the face of so appalling a tragedy!

      4. What evil have these children done to merit such suffering? From a human standpoint it is not easy, indeed it may be impossible, to answer this disturbing question. Only faith can make us begin to understand so profound an abyss of suffering. By becoming "obedient unto death, even death on a Cross" (Philippians 2:8), Jesus took human suffering upon himself and illuminated it with the radiant light of his resurrection. By his death, he conquered death once for all.

      During Lent, we prepare to relive the Paschal Mystery, which sheds the light of hope upon the whole of our existence, even its most complex and painful aspects. Holy Week will again set before us this mystery of salvation in the evocative rites of the Easter Triduum.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters, let us set out with trust on our Lenten journey, sustained by fervent prayer, penance and concern for those in need. In particular, may this Lent be a time of ever greater concern for the needs of children, in our own families and in society as a whole: for they are the future of humanity.

      5. With childlike simplicity let us turn to God and call him, as Jesus taught us in the prayer of the "Our Father," "Abba," "Father."

      Our Father! Let us repeat this prayer often during Lent; let us repeat it with deep emotion. By calling God "Our Father," we will better realize that we are his children and feel that we are brothers and sisters of one another. Thus it will be an easier for us to open our hearts to the little ones, following the invitation of Jesus: "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me" (Matthew 18:5).

      In this hope, I invoke upon each of you God’s blessings, through the intercession of Mary, Mother of the Word of God made man and Mother of all humanity.

      From the Vatican, 8 December 2003

      JOHN PAUL II

      * * *

      Failure of a Marriage Doesn't Prove Its Nullity, Says Pope

      Warns of Bureaucratic Approach to Premarital Investigations

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 29, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II warned against the idea that the failure of conjugal life means that a marriage is invalid.

      "Unfortunately, the force of this erroneous approach is at times so great as to become a generalized prejudice," the Pope said when he received in audience today the judges, officials and lawyers of the Roman Rota, the Church's central appellate court.

      Such a mistaken approach might even "forget that, given human experience marked by sin, a valid marriage can fail because of the erroneous use of the freedom of the spouses themselves," the Holy Father warned in his address. The audience was held at the start of the judicial year.

      "Proof of real nullities," he insisted, "should lead rather to verifying with greater seriousness, at the moment of marriage, the necessary requirements to get married, especially those concerning consent and the real dispositions of those entering into marriage."

      This task rests with "parish priests and those who collaborate with them in this context," who "have the grave duty not to yield to a merely bureaucratic view of premarital investigations," the Pope said.

      "Their pastoral intervention must be guided by the awareness that persons can, precisely in that moment, discover the natural and supernatural good of marriage, and commit themselves in consequence to pursue it," he said.

      * * *

      Vatican Pushing for Low-Cost AIDS Medication

      Archbishop Cordes Says Children Could Be Saved

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 29, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See is urging the pharmaceutical industry to make low-cost AIDS medication available to avoid deaths in Africa from the dreaded disease.

      "The Holy See has undertaken initiatives to exert pressure on large pharmaceutical industries in order to lower prices," confirmed Archbishop Paul Josef Cordes, president of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum," at a press conference where he presented John Paul II's message for Lent.

      In his Lenten text, the Pope stresses that "humanity cannot close its eyes in the face of so appalling a tragedy," in reference to the AIDS epidemic, especially among children.

      "The suffering of children who are dying because they have no medicines could be avoided," said Archbishop Cordes, whose council coordinates the charitable activities of Catholic institutions worldwide.

      Father Angelo d'Agostino, a medical director of Nyumbani, the Children of God Relief Institute, of Nairobi, also spoke at the press conference, echoing the appeal made on several occasions by the Pope and other Holy See officials.

      Father d'Agostino's project will receive aid this year from "Cor Unum," in response to the Holy Father's request in the 2004 Lenten message to reinforce commitment to needy children.

      Every day, "400 people die in Kenya from AIDS," the priest said. "It is an act of genocide of the pharmaceutical cartels which refuse to offer reasonable medications in Africa."

      For Father d'Agostino, who for 30 years was a professor at Georgetown University, and for the past two decades has been a doctor in Kenya, "the lack of social conscience of these capitalist enterprises" is "a moral problem" as they could "save the lives of 25 million Africans infected with the HIV virus in sub-Saharan Africa."

      "According to data of the World Health Organization, there are 11 million orphan children in Africa as a consequence of AIDS," Archbishop Cordes added.

      Father d'Agostino, who is founding Nyumbani Village to house some 1,000 people, the majority children with AIDS and elderly persons, is being supported by American philanthropist John Noel.

      The priest came to Rome to participate in the presentation of the papal Lenten message. He appealed to the media to report the tragedy and inspire a response in Christians, civil society and the pharmaceutical industry in particular.

      "Cor Unum" will support Nyumbani Village, in the Archdiocese of Nairobi, and is soliciting funds for this purpose.

      For more information, contact corunum@....

      * * *

      Faith and Action United in Message, Says Archbishop

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 29, 2004 (Zenit.org).- In asking the faithful this Lent to be concerned with needy children, John Paul II is stressing that faith and action must go hand in hand, says a Vatican official.

      "This is the Pope's genius: to unite faith with social action," Archbishop Paul Josef Cordes said in the press conference to present the papal message for the liturgical period in preparation for Easter.

      The archbishop, who is president of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum," said that the Holy Father had avoided two extremes in his message: to give "a spiritual reflection that does not touch people, or to focus only on social action."

      "We Christians attest to our faith in social commitment," the archbishop added.

      Archbishop Cordes revealed that the Vatican post office will issue a commemorative stamp edition dedicated to children suffering from AIDS.

      The stamps, due in circulation in May, is expected to raise 500,000 euros ($629,000). That money will fund a center in Kenya for orphans affected by AIDS, the archbishop said. The Pope distributes funds to the needy through "Cor Unum."

      "It is rare that Vatican stamps be dedicated to a social topic instead of the Vatican's considerable cultural and artistic heritage," the archbishop noted.

      * * *

      Message Isn't About Sentimentalism, Says Vatican Official

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 29, 2004 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II's new Lenten message, which invites Christians "to become like children," must not be reduced to mere sentimentalism, a Vatican official says.

      When presenting the Lenten message to the press today, Archbishop Paul Josef Cordes, president of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum," told journalists that "to become like children" does not mean "adherence to a vague and widespread sensibility that presupposes innocent candor in children."

      "Jesus never spoke about children's innocence," Archbishop Cordes said. "He emphasized their confident expectation of the good."

      The papal message reminds humanity about children's sufferings and denounces the abuses they suffer.

      In his brief Lenten message, the Holy Father presents children as "a particularly appropriate model for our way of being Christians," Archbishop Cordes said.

      "The Pope doesn't indicate it because he wishes to foment an innocent sentimentalism, but to characterize our attitude before God," said the president of the Vatican dicastery that coordinates Catholic charitable institutions worldwide.

      Archbishop Cordes said that to "treat children with indifference or to reject them is to avoid the Lord, because he is in them and waits for us."

      * * *

      In Scotland, an Offensive for Marriage and the Family

      Bishops Sending Out Quarter-Million Leaflets

      GLASGOW, Scotland, JAN. 29, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The faithful in Scotland's 450 parishes will receive a leaflet this weekend on the Church's teaching and understanding of the sanctity of marriage.

      The 250,000 copies of a statement from the Scotland bishops are the fruit of Cardinal Keith O'Brien's declaration in December that 2004 would be a year in support of life and the family. The statement touches on the sacredness of human sexuality and the importance of the family.

      To the recipients of the leaflet Cardinal O'Brien writes: "I hope you will use this material as the focal point of debate, discussion and initiatives in your homes, parishes, schools and workplaces, aimed at supporting marriage and the family and building a culture of life."

      In the statement, the bishops stressed marriage's God-given nature and its importance to the well-being of the family and the society.

      "The three great monotheistic religions -- Judaism, Christianity and Islam -- honor marriage between a man and a woman as the foundation of the family, the building block of society," they write.

      "They attach supreme value to its function of providing a stable environment for the expression of human love and for the education of children," they add.

      The full expression of human sexuality between a husband and wife was another key point.

      "The Church is concerned whenever the gift of sexual expression is demeaned," the bishops state. "In the Apostolic Tradition any use of the sexual faculty [outside of] marriage is sinful and dishonest, for of its nature it can only find true expression within the covenant of marriage."

      "Likewise the contraceptive mentality prevents the gift of love between husband and wife from being true and complete by deliberately seeking to exclude conception," they add.

      This statement is the first of the Scottish bishops' two-part plan to promote marriage and the family.

      In his December letter, Cardinal O'Brien said, "It is in the best interests of Scottish society, and is therefore a duty incumbent on all who are active in public life, to respect and foster family life."

      On May 31, the Church in will celebrate a "Day for Life" as leaflets, prayer cards and information packs will be sent to every Catholic parish and school in Scotland.

      The Joy of Being a Woman of God

      Ronda Chervin on a Divine Plan for Happiness

      HEBBRONVILLE, Texas, JAN. 29, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Ronda Chervin, a retired philosophy professor, author and convert to the Church, has felt compelled in her speaking and writing to share her joy about being a woman of God.

      Chervin explores the depth of Christian women's joy in her contribution to "God's Call to Women: Twelve Spiritual Memoirs" (HREF=="http://catalog.americancatholic.org/product.asp?prodid==1-56955-383-1">Servant Books), a compilation of 12 women's journeys to Christ and the Church, edited by Christine Anne Mugridge.

      She shared with ZENIT insights on the fullness of joy God that gives women when they commit themselves to Christ and their vocations.

      Q: What is God's special call to women? How did he call you?

      Chervin: Pope John Paul II's apostolic letter on "The Dignity and Vocation of Women" expresses this so beautifully.

      Women are called both to bring their distinctly feminine traits created and graced by God as a gift to all those they come into relation with. But they are also to respond to an individual call as were the women Jesus encountered in the Gospels. Mary Magdalene had a different call than Mary, Mother of Jesus, for example.

      Jesus called me in the 20th year of my life from an atheistic background. Back then, in 1958, I had three main images of women: Scarlett O'Hara of "Gone with the Wind," representing the flamboyant "femme fatale"; the character named Melanie from the same movie, representing the traditional, sweet, good, meek female; and Katharine Hepburn, the actress, representing the free-spirited, witty, more intellectual woman.

      When I met the Catholic women surrounding the great philosopher Dietrich Von Hildebrand, and then when I read about the women saints, I was amazed that some holy women could be as exciting as Scarlett transfigured by grace, as sweet as Melanie without being weak, and as famous and interesting as Katherine Hepburn without being acerbic.

      When I became a Catholic I was not sure what kind of woman I would become, but I knew it would be something marvelously better than being just a bundle of cells hitched up to a Freudian ego, superego and id as most atheists thought was the limited nature of all humans.

      Q: What was the theme for your spiritual memoir in this book? Why did you feel compelled to write about the joy of being a woman of God?

      Chervin: My contribution is entitled "The Joy of Being a Woman of God." I felt compelled to express my joy because so many Catholic women baptized as children lacked the contrast between the bleakness of atheistic womanhood and the richness of the Catholic feminine vocation.

      Chervin: My contribution is entitled "The Joy of Being a Woman of God." I felt compelled to express my joy because I met many Catholic women who took their God-given femininity for granted, I think because they lacked the contrast between the bleakness of atheistic womanhood and the richness of the Catholic feminine vocation.

      After a shot at trying to be like Katharine Hepburn in the form of studying philosophy, and trying unsuccessfully to be a Scarlett O'Hara in the form of troubling love affairs, I was ready to commit suicide.

      Even though there are a sizable number of Catholic young women who are in despair now due to tragic childhood experiences, there were so many in my day brought up with the sense that being a woman would mean a chance to be fulfilled by love: love of God, love of the needy and love of family in the call to religious life, married life, motherhood or single life.

      Even though my own married and family life included some terrible tragedies, I was so happy to fall in love with the soul as well as the body of my husband-to-be. I was so happy to appreciate the unique individuality of each of my children, even though I found raising them to be very difficult. After all, how good are philosophers -- who are used to dealing all day with ideas -- at teaching little tots how to tie their shoelaces?

      Even though there were problems with being a woman professor in the largely male field of philosophy, it was such a joy for me to teach in a basically feminine way -- integrating head and heart, with lots of attention to the needs of individual students.

      Most of all the joy of being a woman of God is to be the beloved of a perfect divine lover as experienced daily in holy Communion.

      Q: In a world filled with stress and struggle, how much happiness can a Christian woman expect to have this side of heaven?

      Chervin: No one, woman or man, can be happy on earth if they have unrealistic goals. If your goal is to eliminate on earth or in your own life all stress and struggle you will never be happy at all.

      If your goal is to use God's gifts to you to love each person God sends you each day by giving them consoling smiles, encouragement, appreciation and help with their crosses, then you will always be happy -- even in the midst of stress and struggle.

      Typically men can be somewhat happy meeting work goals even if their personal life is not that great. But most women, for reasons I will explain later, will be very unhappy if they are not giving love to others in a heart-to-heart manner even if they are doing fine in their work.

      Q: What key elements lead to unhappiness for Christian women?

      Chervin: Unrealistic expectations of self and others make us unhappy. Fantasies of being beautiful, intelligent and a high achiever in a worldly sense or of finding the perfect boyfriend, boss, husband, pastor, etc., lead to disillusionment and bitterness.

      Usually such needs come out of childhood insecurity. A girl who was cherished for her real self as a feminine person, with defects and limitations accepted, will be less likely to seek the compensation of praise for surface success.

      For Christian women this problem can take the form of wanting to be a perfect follower of the Lord in a particular manner -- versus being a struggling sinner like all the rest and leaving it to God to make us saints in his own unique, often painful ways. Idol worship of projected self-images and admiration of unattainable ideal others leads to disappointment and despair.

      We need to see ourselves as funny, frail, striving little sinners in need of mercy and forgiveness. The more we believe we are forgiven, the more likely we will be to forgive others.

      Q: What elements increase the chance for Christian women to be happy in this life, and why?

      Chervin: Happy women slake their thirst for absolute love at the fountain of Jesus' love. This makes it possible to lower demands for love from limited humans, but respond with gratitude for every good thing that is given by those same humans each day no matter what other negative things happen.

      Q: Your answer to the last question could apply to men and women. What specific form does your advice take for women?

      Chervin: I believe that the greatest writer who addressed the Christian woman was Edith Stein, a single woman who was a teacher and philosopher, then a Carmelite and martyr-saint.

      St. Edith Stein teaches that because the woman's body is meant to give a home to a tiny human being, the baby, even women like her who didn't conceive have a built-in tendency to want to be intimate with others. After all, the most famous "mothers" of the 20th century were Mother Teresa and Mother Angelica, neither of whom were biological mothers.

      In the negative, the desire for intimacy is displayed by inordinate curiosity and gossip. In the positive, it gives women an edge in nurturing and empathy. As a result, I would add, thwarted loving tendencies because of bitter non-forgiveness makes women especially miserable.

      Q: What part do men play in a Christian woman's happiness?

      Chervin: The holy men of Scripture from Abraham to St. Paul are strong, protective, providing, prudent, intelligent and leading. Women seek this in Christian men because even though good women have those same qualities in a feminine form, good men have them in a masculine form.

      Women, whether single, married, mothers or consecrated, are happy bringing their own gifts into complementary service in the company of men.

      On the other hand, there is another gift men can bring to women -- women need to feel cherished. A man could be wonderful at leading, protecting and providing for his women friends, co-workers, wife or parishioners, but if he doesn't delight in them in a response to their unique personalities they will feel cheated.

      Why? God, who is love, did not create us as repeatable persons, but as unique individual persons. Creating us male and female, he wanted women to appreciate the unique selves of the men in their lives and the men to appreciate the unique selves of the women in their lives.

      In the past, when most men worked outside of the home and most women inside the home, women felt bad if they were treated as a household drudge and men felt bad if they were admired only for their paycheck. In our times this lack of appreciation on a warm personal basis still exists in other forms.

      I believe we have a long, long, way to go before male and female relationships become what Jesus and Mary would like them to be.

      Q: How do faith and a relationship with Christ play into a woman's happiness? Into spiritual healing of unhappiness?

      Chervin: My experience is that women who go to daily Mass as often as they possibly can -- I wheeled my little twins in a stroller and took in the consecration and holy Communion, even if the twins were too wild for a longer stay -- allow Jesus to come right inside their bodies to fill them with love.

      In his apostolic letter on "The Dignity and Vocation of Women," John Paul II points out that no matter how badly a woman might be treated, her dignity comes from her union with God.

      For me, daily Mass, eucharistic adoration and continual dialogue in prayer with Jesus, Mary and Joseph is what gives me peace and joy even in times of great misery -- such as the natural death of my parents and husband, and the death by suicide of my son, all within a short period of time.

      Q: What can the Church do to help women who struggle with happiness?

      Chervin: I see much growth in woman-to-woman ministry on the parish level. Availability of Christian counselors is also a great help. I have made much use of the help of psychotherapists as well as spiritual directors to get at root causes of emotional extremes.

      Johnnette Benkovic has just started a movement called Women of Grace in order to start study groups in parishes where women can learn more about the beauty of Church teaching and also support each other in friendship and prayer.

      For more about Ronda Chervin's books, see http://www.rondachervin.com

      * * *

      1st African Woman Earns Doctorate at Biblical Institute

      ROME, JAN. 29, 2004 (ZENIT.org-Avvenire).- Sister Mary Jerome Obiorah has become the first African woman to obtain a licentiate and doctorate in biblical sciences from the Pontifical Biblical Institute of Rome.

      "Thanks to these studies, I believe I have become a more convinced Christian, with a greater ability to understand myself and my service to others," said Sister Obiorah of Nigeria.

      "All this is the crowning of a dream that has absorbed a long period of my life, in two phases: the first, from 1989 to 1994, when I completed a first cycle of studies in philosophy and theology; the second, from 1995 until today, when I have been a student of the Biblical Institute," the religious said.

      Sister Obiorah arrived in Italy after making her first vows in the motherhouse of the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Mother of Christ.

      Her greatest difficulty during her first year of specialization at the Biblical Institute was "learning the ancient languages, Hebrew, Greek, which are more difficult as they are no longer commonly spoken."

      Now that she has her doctorate, Sister Obiorah said, "I will return to Africa to carry out my apostolate there, in my Nigeria, and also in areas of conflict."

      Chapter Nine (continued)

      Section fifteen: "Theology and Contemplation" discusses the dichotomy of theology that focuses on soteriology and ascetics, namely, the economy of salvation in sacred scripture and God's relationship to the human person. These are not two separate phenonemon but aspects or emphases of the same, i.e., God's love for humanity. "They are, on the one hand, the history of salvation itself; on the other, the presence of God in man and man's presence before God. The mystery of salvation---the mystery of union with God." (271). The unity of theology is "the work of salvation, begun in the Old Testament and realized in the New, is brought to completion only in the next world." (274).

      Leclercq presents examples of these two spheres of theology in the writings of the monks. He shows that monastic theologians studied sacred scripture and through humble prayer and contemplation they developed insight into revelation finding hidden pearls like that of Eadmer who wrote extensively on the Immaculate Conception centuries before the doctrine became dogma.

      The process of lectio divina includes the sacred text, adherence to Catholic doctrine, humble prayer and devotion to God that leads to contemplation and the insights that emerge from direct lived experience with the text and the sacred author.

      Jean Leclercq, O.S.B., The Love of Learning and the Desire For God. A
      Study of Monastic Culture. (NY: Fordham University Press, 1961, 1974)
      ISBN 0-8232-0406-5

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/013004.htm>

      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>