    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2003

      MONDAY 3 November 2003

      Feast of St. Martin de Poores

      • John Paul II Recalls Duty to Pray for the Dead
      • Pope Grateful for Prayers for His Family
      • All Souls' Day Reflection
      • All Saints' Day Reflection
      • Peace Calls for Purification of Memory, John Paul II Says
      • Pope Thanks Diplomatic Well-Wishers
      • Pope Receives Logo for World Youth Day 2005
      • A Pair of Papal Intentions for November
      • Year of the Rosary Ends on a Note of Holiness
      • Cardinal Tucci Warns Against "Dictatorship of Minorities"
      • Chinese Intelligentsia Open to Christianity, Says Missionary
      • Rectors Aim to Strengthen Role of Asian Shrines
      • Visions and Ecstasies: Artistic Exhibition of 17th and 18th Centuries
      • LECTIO DIVINA
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      John Paul II Recalls Duty to Pray for the Dead

      Reminds the Faithful on All Souls' Day

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II reminded the faithful on All Souls' Day that it is a duty to pray for the dead, and he prayed in particular for "the most forgotten."

      In a frail voice, at times difficult to understand, the Pope led the Angelus prayer at midday for thousands of pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      "It is important and proper to pray for the dead because, even if they died in grace and in friendship with God, perhaps they still have need of further purification to enter into the joy of heaven," the Holy Father explained.

      "The Church has always exhorted to pray for the dead," he said. "She invites believers to look upon the mystery of death not as the last word on human fate, but as the passage toward eternal life."

      "Intercession for them is expressed in various ways, among which is also a visit to cemeteries," the Holy Father continued. "To visit these holy places is a propitious occasion to reflect on the meaning of earthly life and to nourish, at the same time, hope in the blessed eternity of Paradise."

      The Pontiff asked for prayers "in particular" for the dead who are "most forgotten."

      John Paul II also gave an address Saturday when praying the Angelus with pilgrims, on the solemnity of All Saints.

      This year, because of his difficulty walking, the Holy Father was unable to go down to the Vatican grottos to pray for the numerous popes buried there.

      However, he told the pilgrims: "I also go spiritually on pilgrimage to the cemeteries of the different parts of the world, where the remains rest of those who preceded us in the sign of faith."

      "In particular, I pray for those whom no one thinks about anymore, as well as for the many victims of violence," he concluded.

      * * *

      Pope Grateful for Prayers for His Family

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II found time to speak informally with pilgrims, especially Poles, after the midday Angelus, and he thanked them for their prayers for deceased members of his family.

      After praying the Angelus on All Souls' Day with more than 10,000 pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square, the Pope improvised with his compatriots.

      In particular, he thanked the faithful of his former archdiocese, Krakow, for their prayers at the graves of his parents and his brother.

      The Pope's father, Karol, was at one time an officer of the Austro-Hungarian army and the Polish army. He died in 1941. The Pope's mother, Emilia, died in 1929, when he was 9 years old. His brother Edmund died at 29 while attending to the sick.

      During his last trip to Poland, on Aug. 18, 2002, John Paul II prayed at the grave of his loved ones, buried in the Rakowicki cemetery, near Krakow.

      * * *

      All Souls' Day Reflection

      John Paul II Reflects on Meaning of Life

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today, All Souls Day, before praying the Angelus with pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. After celebrating the feast of All Saints yesterday, Nov. 2, our prayerful gaze turns to those who have left this world and are waiting to reach the heavenly City. The Church has always exhorted to pray for the dead. She invites believers to look upon the mystery of death not as the last word on human fate, but as the passage toward eternal life. "While the dwelling of this earthly exile is destroyed," we read in today's Preface, "an eternal habitation is prepared in heaven."

      2. It is important and proper to pray for the dead because, even if they died in grace and in friendship with God, perhaps they still have need of a further purification to enter into the joy of heaven (see Catechism of the Catholic Church, No. 1030). Intercession for them is expressed in various ways, among which is also a visit to the cemetery. To visit these holy places is a propitious occasion to reflect on the meaning of earthly life and to nourish, at the same time, hope in the blessed eternity of Paradise.

      May Mary, Gate of Heaven, help us never to forget or to lose sight of the heavenly homeland, final goal of our pilgrimage on earth.

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      [After praying the Angelus, the Pope greeted the pilgrims as follows:]

      I greet cordially the pilgrims who have come to recite with us the prayer of the Angelus, which we offered for the dead, in particular, the most forgotten.

      I wish all of you here present a good Sunday!

      * * *

      All Saints' Day Reflection

      Rosary a "Simple and Accessible Way" to Holiness, Says John Paul II

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of John Paul II's address at midday on Saturday, the solemnity of All Saints, before praying the Angelus with pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. We celebrate today the solemnity of All Saints. By inviting us to look upon the immense multitude of those who have already reached the blessed homeland, it shows us the way that leads to this goal.

      The saints and blessed of Paradise remind us, pilgrims on earth, that prayer is above all the daily sustenance that does not let us lose sight of our eternal destiny. For many of them it was the rosary -- the prayer to which the Year that ended yesterday was dedicated -- that offered a privileged means for their daily conversation with the Lord. The rosary led them to an ever-more profound intimacy with Christ and with the Holy Virgin.

      2. The rosary can really be a simple and accessible way for all to sanctity, which is the vocation of every baptized person, as today's solemnity underlines.

      In the apostolic letter "Novo Millennio Ineunte" I reminded all the faithful that holiness is the priority requirement of Christian life (see Nos. 30-31).

      May Mary, Queen of all Saints, already immersed in divine glory, help us to proceed energetically in the demanding way of Christian perfection. May she help us understand and appreciate ever more the recitation of the rosary as an evangelical means of contemplation of the mystery of Christ and of faithful adherence to his will.

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      [After the recitation of the Angelus, the Pope greeted the pilgrims as follows:]

      According to pious custom, during these days the faithful usually visit the tombs of their dear ones to pray for them.

      I also go spiritually on pilgrimage to the cemeteries of the different parts of the world, where the remains rest of those who preceded us in the sign of faith.

      In particular, I pray for those whom no one thinks about anymore, as well as for the many victims of violence. I commend all to the Divine Mercy.

      * * *

      Peace Calls for Purification of Memory, John Paul II Says

      Urges Historians to Adhere to Truth in Research

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II says that peace requires the purification of the memory of individuals and peoples through forgiveness.

      It is "an indispensable premise for an international order of peace," the Pope said in a message made public today to participants in a congress organized by the Pontifical Committee for Historical Sciences. The congress commemorated the centenary of the death of Pope Leo XIII.

      The Holy Father said "that those who do research on the roots of conflicts discover that the negative consequences of events in the past continue to be present."

      "Frequently, these contaminated memories have become integral elements of the national identity, and in some cases, even of the religious identity," he said.

      "This is why we must renounce any manipulation of the truth," he added. "The historian's love for his own people, community, even religious community, must not compete with the rigor for scientifically prepared truth. It is from here that the process of purifying the memory begins."

      "This effort to purify one's memory entails for individuals as well as peoples the recognition of errors for which they must ask forgiveness," the Holy Father continued.

      "This sometimes requires much courage and self-denial. However, it is the only way that social and national groups, freed from the remnants of old resentment, can come together with fraternal and reciprocal loyalty in order to build a better future for all," John Paul II explained.

      In his message, the Holy Father said that like "Leo XIII, I too am personally convinced that bringing to light the full truth about the 2,000 years of Church history, through science, benefits her."

      Historians must not "be accusers or judges of the past, but must attempt to patiently understand each event with the maximum depth and amplitude, in order to delineate a historic context as close as possible to the truth of the facts," he concluded.

      * * *

      Pope Thanks Diplomatic Well-Wishers

      Ambassadors Extend 25th-Anniversary Congratulations

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II thanked the diplomatic corps accredited to the Vatican for the good wishes expressed by representatives on the 25th anniversary of his pontificate.

      The Pope thanked them today for their presence, their "fervent best wishes," and for "the significant gift that you have given to me on this occasion." The diplomatic corps gave him a pectoral cross for the occasion.

      Noting their diverse geographic areas, he told the diplomats that he was "happy to greet all the countries with which the Holy See maintains diplomatic ties. I willingly take this opportunity to express my great gratitude for the many signs of closeness that have been shown to me in these days by each one of them."

      Giovanni Galasi, ambassador of San Marino and dean of the diplomatic corps, congratulated the Holy Father on his anniversary.

      Representing all the other members of the corps were Ambassadors Alejandro Emilio Valladares Lanza of Honduras, for the Americas; Kazys Lozoraitis of Lithuania, for Europe; Raniero Avogardo from Italy, for the European Union; Henri Antoine Turpin of Senegal, for Africa; and Youm Seong from Korea, for Asia.

      In statements to the press after the meeting, ambassador Galasi said that despite his state of health, and physical and speech impediments, the Pope "is able to do what he has to do."

      "We found the Pope in good conditions," he added. "He read all his address and was introduced to five new colleagues."

      * * *

      Pope Receives Logo for World Youth Day 2005

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II received the official logo of World Youth Day 2005, an event that is expected to gather 800,000 young people.

      The logo for the event, which will take place in Cologne in August 2005, was given to the Pope on Wednesday by Monsignor Heiner Koch, secretary-general of WYD, and Hermann Josef Johanns, director of the WYD Office.

      Jörg Zimmermann, the logo's young German designer, has produced a dynamic design with clear elements, which reflects the message that all Christians are called to turn to the cross, to look at Christ, crucified and risen, and to worship him, mirroring the theme of the 20th World Youth Day: "We Have Come to Worship Him" (Matthew 2:2).

      The design, approved by the Pontifical Council for the Laity, was made known to the public last June. "John Paul II was impressed by the WYD logo," Johanns said, following Wednesday's general audience.

      Representatives of the WYD Office arrived in Rome on Tuesday to discuss the planning of the event with the Pontifical Council for the Laity.

      See http://www.wyd2005.org

      * * *

      A Pair of Papal Intentions for November

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II in November will pray for two intentions: that Western Christians grow in their knowledge of the Eastern Churches, and that the American Missionary Congress prove fruitful.

      Specifically, the Pope's prayer intention is: "That the Christians of the West may constantly increase their knowledge and appreciation of the spirituality and liturgical traditions of the Eastern Churches."

      His missionary intention is: "That the Church in America, celebrating the 2nd American Missionary Congress in Guatemala, may be inspired to more generous evangelizing activity even beyond her own frontiers."

      The leadership of the Apostleship of Prayer explained that the purpose of these intentions is, in part, to encourage Catholics worldwide to "feel with the Church," as the intentions "are windows open to current problems of the world."

      * * *

      Year of the Rosary Ends on a Note of Holiness

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II brought to a close the Year of the Rosary, and stressed the importance of the Marian prayer as a means to attain holiness.

      The Pope explained this on Saturday, the solemnity of All Saints, when he prayed the Angelus with thousands of pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      "The saints and blessed of paradise remind us, pilgrims on earth, that prayer is above all the daily sustenance that does not let us lose sight of our eternal destiny," he said.

      "For many of them, it was the rosary -- the prayer to which the Year that ended yesterday was dedicated -- which offered a privileged means for their daily conversation with the Lord," he added.

      "The rosary led them to an ever more profound intimacy with Christ and with the Holy Virgin," the Holy Father said. Hence, the "rosary can really be a simple and accessible way for all to sanctity, which is the vocation of every baptized person."

      John Paul II called the Year of the Rosary in October 2002 as he published the apostolic letter "Rosarium Virginis Mariae."

      * * *

      Cardinal Tucci Warns Against "Dictatorship of Minorities"

      In Wake of Judge's Decision to Bar Crucifix From School

      ROME, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The court-ordered removal of the crucifix from a school because it offended a Muslim is evidence of the West's misinterpretation of the rights of minorities and of the principle of laicism, says a cardinal.

      A judge's decision to remove the crucifix from the Antonio Silveri nursery and elementary school in the village of Ofena, at the request of Adel Smith, president of the Union of Muslims of Italy, was made public Oct. 25.

      Italian Minister of Justice Roberto Castelli has opened an administrative investigation against Judge Mario Montanaro, since Italian law allows the display of crucifixes in public places.

      Analyzing the issue on Vatican Radio, Cardinal Roberto Tucci noted that "in present-day Western democracy a certain tendency is being verified of the dictatorship of minorities."

      "Although everyone has the right to be respected, for example, in the area of religious freedom, it suffices that there be a minority that is unhappy about something … [so] that in the name of laicism the voice of many is silenced," he noted Thursday.

      This results in the desire "to eliminate symbols that are important for the culture, in addition to the faith, of the majority of those who live in the country."

      "It is thought that, in order to respect this minority, the majority must be offended, and I don't think this is democracy," he added.

      For Cardinal Tucci, "it is not true that laicism excludes the fact that certain things can be recognized as being in keeping with the sentiments of the majority, which is not just a majority of believers, but a majority of people who recognize a certain type of culture which has constituted our country."

      He said that there is so much insistence on individual rights that the rights of intermediary structures of the society, "which are very important," are forgotten.

      "The family exists, as do communities of believers, structured in churches, in different confessions, which also have the right to be respected," as they "form part of the people who must be heard in a democracy," the cardinal said.

      "That the state, even while respecting the right of religious freedom of all, gives special respect to that which belongs to the historical heritage of our civilization -- Western and Italian -- does not seem to me to be a violation of laicism," Cardinal Tucci stressed.

      The cardinal also stressed that in Italy, Muslims have their rights respected, unlike Christians in predominantly Muslim countries.

      "We must explain what we believe in, that we have a religious conception which is different from theirs in many aspects, and that we have the right to be respected, just as we respect their religious conceptions," Cardinal Tucci concluded.

      * * *

      Chinese Intelligentsia Open to Christianity, Says Missionary

      Father Cervellera Sees Signs for Optimism

      ROME, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Chinese intellectuals, dissidents and sociologists say their country needs Christianity "because it gives the individual a sense of the absolute and creates a mentality of love and charity," says a missionary-journalist.

      Father Bernardo Cervellera gave that assessment of China during a press conference last week in a Roman bookstore where he presented his book "Mission China: Journey to the Empire Between Market and Repression," published by Ancora in Italian.

      "Seventy-five percent of students of Beijing and Shanghai are interested in Christianity," said Father Cervellera, who is director of the Asia News agency.

      "Christianity helps to lay the foundation for freedom and to really serve the people, which was Mao Tse-tung's motto, but was not realized with Marxism," said the priest, who from 1997 to 2002 was director of the Fides agency of the Vatican Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.

      "With Christianity, more hope would be given to China, especially among young people, who are suffering from a terrible collapse of ideals; this is why many of them opt for suicide," he said. China has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, he said.

      Regarding religious freedom, Father Cervellera said that this human right should include the possibility of association or "contacts at the international level. ... At present, this does not exist in China."

      In this connection, Father Cervellera, who was once a professor at the University of Beijing, made an appeal to financial investors, to remind them that "they cannot only look for quick earnings but must be concerned about human rights."

      This "link between business and ethics is a necessity," the priest stressed.

      He gave the example of John Kamm, a North American Catholic, who for the past 15 years has been advising multinationals that invest in China. He asks them to include ethical conditions in their contracts, such as adequate salaries, clean dining rooms and suitable dormitories for workers, and the release of dissidents from prison.

      "Dr. Kamm has been successful in having 500 people released with these ethical clauses in business contracts," the author revealed.

      * * *

      Rectors Aim to Strengthen Role of Asian Shrines

      Plan Associations at National and Continental Levels

      MANILA, Philippines, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Rectors of Asian shrines plan to establish associations at the national and continental level to give greater emphasis to evangelization through their religious facilities.

      The above was expressed in a statement issued at the end of the first Asian Meeting of Shrine Rectors, held in Manila from Oct. 21-25.

      The meeting, attended by representatives of 51 shrines of 14 Asian nations, reflected the vitality and attraction of Asian shrines, not only among Catholic communities, but also among believers of other religions.

      "The Shrine: Place of Welcome and Encounter," was the theme of the meeting organized by the Pontifical Council for Migrants and Travelers together with the Commission on Human Mobility of the Philippine bishops' conference.

      For Archbishop Agostino Marchetto, council secretary, "welcome" and "encounter" are meaningful terms for the shrines because "in welcoming many people -- including of other religions -- and in being an occasion for reciprocal exchange of gifts, they are placed in the front line of the continent's evangelization," he told Vatican Radio.

      In their final statement, the rectors expressed their commitment to "explore the immense possibilities of inculturation and dialogue that arise from pilgrimages, religious meetings, liturgical celebrations, manifestations of popular devotion, charitable assistance, and even the very architecture of churches and shrines."

      "We accept the challenge to open wide horizons of dialogue between cultures and with other religious groups, with the firm hope of attaining the authentic revelation of Christ," the statement said.

      * * *

      Visions and Ecstasies: Artistic Exhibition of 17th and 18th Centuries

      In Vatican's Restored "Charlemagne Wing"

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- An exhibition at the Holy See entitled "Visions and Ecstasies: Masterpieces of European Art Between the 17th and 18th Centuries" includes some standout expressions of Baroque art.

      The exhibition, which opened Oct. 10 and will continue until Jan. 18, celebrates the reopening to the public of the famous "Charlemagne Wing," which was closed for a decade to undergo restoration.

      Caravaggio, Pietro da Cortona and Gian Lorenzo Bernini are among the artists whose works are being exhibited. For the first time, the best depictions of ecstasies, visions, stigmata and levitations in European religious painting are on display.

      There are close to 100 works, in which the iconography of saint predominates. The principal figures portrayed are Jesus Christ, the Blessed Virgin, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis of Assisi, and St. John of God.

      The religious art of this period "is not limited to celebrating the saints' virtues, but exalts and radiates the images of their visions and ecstasies," the explanatory panels state.

      The exhibition starts with an introductory section entitled "The Call," in reference to a vocation, in which the saints are depicted in an attitude of prayer.

      The second section is "The Response," which entails suffering and the imitation of Christ.

      The third is "The Consolation," which includes apparitions and visions that make it possible to "hear the music of heaven," the organizers say.

      The fourth section of the exhibition brings together the ecstatic visions, stigmata and levitations.

      The exhibition was prepared for the fourth centenary of the birth of St. Joseph of Cupertino (1603-2003).

      The mystical experience was not only a characteristic subject of Baroque art, but also the main argument of Karol Wojtyla's doctoral thesis, which was dedicated to St. John of the Cross. The exhibition is being presented for the 25th anniversary of John Paul II's pontificate.

      The "Charlemagne Wing" is on the left of St. Peter's Square, at the very start of the colonnade. Bernini designed the hall, a brilliant example of Roman Baroque.

      The director is Giovanni Morello of the Vatican Apostolic Library.

      Chapter Four (continued)

      "One of the best known, most frequently copied and edited texts, is St. Peter Damian's On the Glory of Paradise. Its stanzas have a profundity of vocabulary, a musical rhythm which make them all but translatable. The poem opens with twenty stanzas which state the theme: the parched soul thirsts for the fountain of eternal life; imprisoned it longs to see the walls within which the flesh keeps it captive break down; exiled, it aspires to enjoy at last its native land." (73).

      Here Leclercq points to the passionate devotion to heaven found in monastic lyrical poetry. The passion for Heaven in this life is but a dim reflection of the passion for it in the next. "What Gregory of Nyssa has analyzed under the name of epectasis, St. Peter Damian has also described: "Always eager and always satisfied, the elect have what they desire: satiety never becomes wearisome, and hunger, kept alive by desire, never becomes painful. Desiring they eat constantly, and eating they never cease to desire." (74).

      This celestial passionate love is reflected in the love spouses have for one another in Holy Matrimony, or the spousal relationship of a consecrated soul to God in the priesthood or religious life, and also of those who, celibate, live a life dedicated to God. The authentic marital union found in the three states of life described here are precious and filled with God's generous, benevolent abd abundant grace that nourishes the soul with celestial passion drawing humanity into the depths of God's own heart and transforming hearts to love as He loves. Lectio divina always has this pure love of God spell out the texts we encounter. Let your eyes and heart feast on these and quench your parched soul on the wellspring that flows from the Word of God.

      Jean Leclercq, O.S.B., The Love of Learning and the Desire For God. A
      Study of Monastic Culture. (NY: Fordham University Press, 1961, 1974)
      ISBN 0-8232-0406-5

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/110303.htm>

      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>