    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2003

      FRIDAY 31 October 2003

      • Pope's Address to 3rd Group of Philippine Bishops
      • Pope Has Been a Modern Missionary, Says Honduran Cardinal
      • 5 Named to Pontifical Academy of Sciences
      • Franciscan Superior Takes His Message to the Holy Land
      • ARCHBISHOP FOLEY ADDRESSES FEDERATION OF ADVERTISERS
      • AUDIENCES
      • National Novena Set for Missionary Congress
      • Hawaii's Other Would-be Saint: Mother Marianne Cope
      • St. Benedict Menni Declared Patron of Volunteers in Taytay
      • LECTIO DIVINA
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      Pope's Address to 3rd Group of Philippine Bishops

      Audience With Prelates of Manila, Lingayen-Dagupan and Other Provinces

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is the address John Paul II gave today to 21 Philippine bishops from the ecclesiastical provinces of Manila, Lingayen-Dagupan, Nueva Segovia, San Fernando, Tuguegarao and the military ordinariate, on the occasion of their five-yearly visit to Rome.

      My Dear Brothers in the Episcopacy,

      1. It is with great joy that I welcome you, the third group of Filipino Bishops, as we come to the end of this series of "ad limina" visits. I am especially pleased to greet Archbishop Diosdado Talamayan, and I thank him for the good wishes he has expressed on behalf of the ecclesiastical provinces of Manila, Lingayen-Dagupan, Nueva Segovia, San Fernando, Tuguegarao and the military ordinariate. I give thanks to Almighty God that during the last few months I have had the pleasure of meeting almost every bishop from your country, which is home to the largest Catholic presence in Asia and is one of the most vibrant Catholic communities in the world. Not only have these visits reinforced the bond between us, but they have also offered a unique opportunity for us to look more closely at the accomplishments achieved and the challenges still facing the Church in the Philippines. In this regard, I wish to commend all of you for your successful work on the National Pastoral Consultation. You are well aware that implementing a plan of such breadth is not an easy task, but you also realize that you are not alone in this undertaking. In fact, as "Shepherds of the Lord's flock," you know that you can count on a special divine grace as you carry out your ministry as bishops (cf. "Pastores Gregis," 1).

      Having already discussed themes related to the Church of the poor and the community of disciples of the Lord, I wish to reflect on the commitment to engage in "renewed integral evangelization."

      2. Christ left those he loved with the command to spread the Gospel to all people in all places (cf. Mark 16:15). The pledge of the Church in the Philippines to engage in renewed integral evangelization demonstrates her desire to ensure that Christian faith and values permeate every aspect of society. Your Vision-Mission Statement describes evangelization in this way: "We shall embark on a new integral evangelization and witness to Jesus Christ's Gospel of salvation and liberation through our words, deeds and lives." This description of the "new evangelization" clearly recognizes that an essential element of this process is witness. Today's world is one that is constantly bombarded with words and information. For this reason and possibly more than at any time in recent history, the things Christians do speak louder than the things they say. Perhaps this is the reason that the life of Mother Teresa of Calcutta speaks to so many hearts. She put what she heard into action, spreading Christ's love to all those she encountered, always recognizing that "it is not how much we do, but how much love we put into what we do" that matters. Indeed, "people today put more trust in witnesses than in teachers, in experience than in teaching and in life and action than in theories." Therefore a loving witness of the Christian life will always remain "the first and irreplaceable form of mission" ("Redemptoris Missio," 42).

      3. Men and women of today desire role models of authentic witness to the Gospel. They have a longing to be more like Christ and this is apparent in the many ways Filipino Catholics express their faith. An example of the effort to bring Christ to others is found in the Church's development of social welfare programs for the poor and outcast, at both national and local levels. This dedication to the proclamation of the Good News is also evident in your effective use of the mass media to heighten moral sensitivity and stimulate greater concern for social issues. Notwithstanding these notable achievements, there still remain various obstacles, such as the participation of some Catholics in sects which witness only to the superstitious; the lack of familiarity with the teachings of the Church; the endorsement by some of anti-life attitudes which include the active promotion of birth control, abortion and the death penalty; and, as I discussed in my last address to the Filipino bishops, the persistent dichotomy between faith and life (cf. Proceedings and Addresses of the NPCCR, January 2001, p. 146).

      A solid way to address these concerns is found in your commitment to animating and developing the mission "ad gentes." Jesus, the "chief evangelizer," appointed the apostles to follow in his steps by becoming his personal "emissaries." As their successors it is your sacred duty to make certain that those who assist you in your pastoral ministry are ready to carry Christ's message to the world (cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church, 858-859). You can ensure such readiness if you guarantee that Filipinos are given ample opportunity to hear the word of God, to pray and contemplate, to celebrate the mystery of Jesus in the sacraments, especially in the Eucharist, and to see examples of "true communion of life and integrity of love" ("Ecclesia in Asia," 23). Once again I affirm that "the more the Christian community is rooted in the experience of God which flows from a living faith, the more credibly it will be able to proclaim to others the fulfillment of God's Kingdom in Jesus Christ" (ibid.).

      4. Events of recent years in the Philippines have illustrated the urgent need for integral evangelization in all sectors of society, especially in the spheres of government and public policy. As concerned Christians and citizens of the world, we can never ignore "the evil of corruption which is undermining the social and political development of so many peoples" (Message for the 1998 World Day of Peace, 5). In this regard, it must be made clear that no office of public service can ever be treated as private property or as a personal privilege. Considering public office as a benefice necessarily results in favoritism, which in turn leads to the abuse and misuse of public money, bribery, graft, influence peddling and corruption (cf. Proceedings and Addresses of the NPCCR, January 2001, p. 120).

      The people of the Philippines are aware that to denounce corruption publicly requires great courage. To eliminate corruption calls for the committed support of all citizens, the resolute determination of the authorities and a firm moral conscience. The Church has a major role here inasmuch as she is the primary agent for properly forming people's conscience. Her function, as a rule, should not be that of direct intervention in matters that are strictly political, but rather that of converting individuals and evangelizing culture, so that society itself can take up the task of promoting social transformation and develop a keen sense of transparency in government and abhorrence of corruption (cf. "Apostolicam Actuositatem," 7, and the Message for the 1998 World Day of Peace, 5).

      5. One way to ensure that a society engages actively and faithfully in integral evangelization is to give young people a proper formation early on in their faith and life journeys. My presence at the World Youth Day in Manila in 1995 allowed me to witness at first hand the enthusiasm that young people can have for Christ and his Church. This eagerness to know more about their faith is evidenced by the numbers of young people who are involved in parish life. I compliment the Church in the Philippines for all it has done to offer suitable pastoral care to youth. Many of your dioceses provide summer camps, retreats, frequent youth Masses and youth formation offices. Most impressive is the manner in which your local communities listen to the concerns and suggestions of young people, allowing them to have an active voice in the Church (cf. "Ecclesia in Asia," 47).

      At the same time, obstacles still exist to evangelization among young people. In some families parents do not encourage their children to participate in Church-sponsored activities. Young people's potential is threatened by illiteracy, the desire for material goods, a casual attitude towards human sexuality and the temptation to abuse drugs and alcohol. You have mentioned your distress over the numbers of youth who have left the Catholic Church in favor of fundamentalist sects, many of which accentuate material riches over spiritual ones. In response to these concerns, I pray that you will continue to engage young people, especially those most at risk, by providing them access to affordable Catholic education and Church-sponsored youth activities, and by helping them to understand better that Christ alone has the words of everlasting life (cf. John 6:63).

      6. Finally, I ask you, dear brothers, to continue to encourage the clergy and religious who spend so much of their time and energy trying to develop creative and effective ways of spreading Christ's saving message. Assure them that their unique role as heralds of the Gospel is essential to the success of integral evangelization. In this regard, I wish to express my gratitude both to the missionaries and religious of the past who brought Jesus to the Filipino people and also to those who continue to make his presence known today. We thank God that, as the Second Vatican Council stated, "the Lord always calls from the number of his disciples those whom he wishes ... so that he may send them to preach to the nations" ("Ad Gentes," 23). It is my hope that all the faithful of the Church will continue to encourage young men and women to answer the call to this "special vocation" modeled on that of the apostles (cf. "Redemptoris Missio," 65).

      7. My dear brother bishops, as you make your way back to your local Churches, I ask God to strengthen you in your commitment to a renewed integral evangelization, in your efforts to "present the One who inaugurates a new era of history and announce to the world the good news of a complete and universal salvation which contains in itself the pledge of a new world in which pain and injustice will give way to joy and beauty" ("Pastores Gregis," 65). Commending you, the clergy, religious and lay faithful of the Philippines to the protection of Mary, Mother of the Church, I cordially impart my apostolic blessing.

      * * *

      Pope Has Been a Modern Missionary, Says Honduran Cardinal

      Archbishop Rodríguez Maradiaga on the Main Features of John Paul II

      ROME, OCT. 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The greatest challenge is the new evangelization for greater justice and solidarity, and peace through dialogue, says Cardinal Óscar Andrés Rodríguez Maradiaga.

      The archbishop of Tegucigalpa, Honduras, emphasized that point in an interview with the Veritas agency at the conclusion of the recent consistory and celebrations for the 25th anniversary of John Paul II's pontificate.

      Q: What does your being cardinal mean for your life?

      Cardinal Rodríguez Maradiaga: I live it as I have lived these 25 years as bishop, as a service of love. I am very happy serving my people. They are a poor and humble people, a people with so many difficulties and problems. But I feel it is the legacy the Lord has given me, and I am very happy with it.

      The greatest challenge, certainly, is the new evangelization for greater justice and solidarity and for the search for peace through dialogue. This is one of our commitments and, of course, I am very happy to serve.

      Q: What challenges must the Church address in the third millennium?

      Cardinal Rodríguez Maradiaga: I think we have to recover the missionary impetus. We are not simply in a club of chosen ones.

      I think we Catholic Christians face a very great challenge: to be able to influence a culture in which we give witness to the values of the Gospel, which, in fact, are increasingly marginalized from culture, so that these values are assumed by today's culture.

      Above all, ethics is the essential element that must be restored in life. It is not a question of proselytism but of witness. And I think that here we have a very wide field for the new evangelization.

      Q: What features would you highlight of John Paul II's 25-year pontificate?

      Cardinal Rodríguez Maradiaga: In the first place, the missionary dimension. It seems to me that when he went to Puebla in 1979 -- it was his first evangelizing trip -- he discovered the enormous potential of his presence in all the continents and countries.

      He has been a modern missionary. He has proclaimed the Gospel and has come close to the People of God. No one dreamed of seeing the Pope up close, yet he has made this possible through great sacrifices, because everyone says how lovely it is to travel. But to travel as the Pope travels is no good fortune, but, on the contrary, exhaustion and enormous work. This is the first feature I would highlight.

      The second is his encouragement of young people. He has really been an 83-year-old youth, as he himself said. Of course this encouragement has given young people very great enthusiasm, which is noticeable.

      In my country, for example, after the Pope's visit vocations to the priesthood began to grow, something that before we had great difficulty in obtaining.

      I think the next feature is ecumenism. He has been a courageous man to open the doors of the Church and the Church's arms with love, even asking forgiveness for errors committed in the past. Anyone else would have said: "I have nothing to do with that, because I was not alive at that time." And yet, he has had the courage to do it.

      And there are many other aspects, but I would stress very much that he has been a teacher of prayer, especially for us bishops when we have gone to see him for meetings or dinners.

      I have had the good fortune to share his table many times, because I was president and also secretary-general of CELAM [the Latin American bishops' council]. Every time we dined with him, we spent at least 20 minutes of prayer with him in his private chapel, before and after the dinner. Then, to see him celebrate the holy Eucharist, to see him at prayer when we arrive in his chapel to concelebrate with him, is really to contemplate the face of God.

      I think this has been another of the great features. I would also point out the impetus given to the social doctrine of the Church, which is making a difference and is not just seen as a theory but as a force capable of bringing down walls -- Berlin's -- and others that must come down.

      Q: What can one ask of the next Pope?

      Cardinal Rodríguez Maradiaga: First, that he be a man of God, because this is what is most important. The Church is not simply a human institution. It is human-divine and the Church's founder and guide is the Holy Spirit. Therefore, for me, that must be the first quality: to be at one with God and to respond to the Lord's calls.

      * * *

      5 Named to Pontifical Academy of Sciences

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II appointed five new members of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, including three professors at U.S. universities.

      The Vatican press office announced the new members today:

      -- Antonio Garcia-Bellido, born in 1936 in Madrid, Spain. He is a professor of genetics at the Severo Ochoa Center of Molecular Biology at the Autonomous University of Madrid.

      -- Fotis Kafatos, born in the Greek island of Crete, is a professor of molecular biology at Harvard University in Massachusetts.

      -- Tsung-Dao Lee, born in 1926 in Shanghai, China, is a professor of physics at Columbia University in New York.

      -- Ryoji Noyori, born in 1938 in Kobe, Japan, is a professor of organic chemistry at Nagoya University.

      -- Kevin Ryan, born in 1932 in Mount Vernon, New York, is a professor and director emeritus of the Center for the Advancement of Ethics and Character at Boston University.

      The Pontifical Academy of Sciences is nonsectarian in its choice of members. The work of the academy comprises six major areas: fundamental science; science and technology of global problems; science for the problems of the Third World; scientific policy; bioethics; and epistemology.

      * * *

      Franciscan Superior Takes His Message to the Holy Land

      Urges a Commitment to Life Amid Violence

      JERUSALEM, OCT. 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- On his visit to the Holy Land the new Franciscan minister general of the Order of Friars Minor is leaving a key message: to put life into a world of death.

      As he visits the Christian communities responsible for the Custody of the Holy Land, Father José Rodríguez Carballo is repeating St. Francis' message at a time of acute crisis in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

      "There is no alternative to dialogue and peace," he said Wednesday when addressing the friars of the Bethlehem community.

      Bethlehem's Basilica of the Nativity, and the Franciscans, Greek Orthodox and Armenians who administer it, endured a 39-day siege by the Israeli army last year after some 200 armed Palestinians invaded the church.

      "How long, Lord? Until when? When will the wars and conflicts cease?" the Spanish friar asked. "When will we men listen to the Gospel of peace proclaimed in this land? When will we be able to see this land pacified?"

      The priest, who was elected last June to lead his order, continued: "At the same time that we are praying for the gift of peace in this land bathed in the blood of the Lamb, who takes away the sin of the world, in this land that is holy for the three great monotheistic religions, we cannot but cry out and condemn, once again, terrorism, violence and war."

      When visiting the Basilica of the Resurrection on Monday, the minister general explained to his brothers in religion that their "great mission" today is "to put life into a world of death."

      "This is your great mission here in the Holy Land, where hatred, terror, violence and war do not hold back and where blood, often of the innocent, continues to flow unjustifiably … along the streets of this Holy City," he added.

      During his meeting with the friars in Judea, the Franciscan leader said: "Rejoice with the people, suffer with the people, share the fate of the people, and serve the people, not as masters but as humble servants."

      Father Rodríguez Carballo emphasized that the order is called to live its missionary spirit. "To respond to this invitation means, among other things, to create new apostolic and missionary activities that better respond to the demands of our vocation as Friars Minor. We must review our service in parishes, shrines and in the other traditional places of presence, without ever forgetting that, in fidelity to our charism, we are called to be present especially in the places of brokenness where nobody wants to go."

      During his visit to the Studium Biblicum on Sunday, the minister general stressed the importance of this world center of study being declared a biblical faculty. He added that the "wisdom of the Friar Minor, the knowledge of the Word of God, is not an end in itself, but must be translated into life."

      The Custody of the Holy Land was established by the Franciscan general chapter held in 1217.

      * * *

      ARCHBISHOP FOLEY ADDRESSES FEDERATION OF ADVERTISERS

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 28, 2003 (VIS) - Archbishop John Foley, president of the
      Pontifical Council for Social Communications, is in Brussels, Belgium, where
      today he addressed the World Federation of Advertisers on the occasion of
      the federation's 50th anniversary. His talk was entitled "A Good Name is the
      Best Advertisement."

      Noting the positive contributions that advertisers make to economic,social and even moral progress, he said that nonetheless he wished to underscore "several principles and concerns." The first, he said, is "Being
      is better than having," saying our God-given dignity depends on the former,
      not the latter. He exhorted advertisers "not to put poor people down, even
      subconsciously. Emphasize quality, emphasize efficiency, emphasize even better grooming and cleanliness and good appearance - but please do not suggest that a possession is going to make one person better than another person."

      "A second principle," affirmed Archbishop Foley, "is: Each person must be
      treated with respect. ... We resent it as employees if we are treated as
      factors of production rather than as persons; we can resent it in advertising if individuals depicted are portrayed as objects rather than as persons and, indeed, if we -- the audience of consumers -- are treated as so many numbers to be reached instead of as persons to whom an important message is to be communicated."

      "A third principle of ethics in communications," he remarked, "is the common good. A growing concern in democratic societies is the ethical aspect of political campaigning" when, for example, "the costs of advertising limit
      political competition to wealthy candidates or groups," thus obstructing the
      democratic process.

      "As you know," concluded Archbishop Foley, "advertising profoundly affects
      the values and the morals in society - and not just people's buying habits.
      I hope you realize your own power - and that you continue to use it responsibly, as so many of you do."

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 28, 2003 (VIS) - Today the Holy Father received in audience seven prelates from the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Archbishop Edmundo M. Abaya of Nueva Segovia.

      - Bishop Leo M. Drona, S.D.B., of San Jose.

      - Bishop Luis Antonio G. Tagle of Imus.

      - Bishop Ernesto A. Salgado of Laoag.

      - Bishop Florentino F. Cinense of Tarlac.

      - Archbishop Ramon C. Arguelles, military ordinary.

      - Bishop Pedro D. Arigo, apostolic vicar of Puerto Princesa.

      * * *

      National Novena Set for Missionary Congress

      GUATEMALA CITY, OCT. 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A novena will be held throughout Guatemala in spiritual preparation for the 2nd American Missionary Congress.

      The novena for CAM2 will take place at the national level Nov. 14-22. It is being promoted among bishops, priests, diocesan mission delegates, ecclesial movements and other faithful.

      Each diocese and parish is free to choose how to observe the novena. It may be held in parish churches, or during family prayer or holy hours.

      Individuals will allocate time daily for silence and recollection, to invoke the gift of the Holy Spirit for the spiritual success of CAM2, the organizers said.

      The Eucharistic Shrine of Perpetual Adoration of the Archdiocese of Guatemala has scheduled the novena at three times: 6 a.m., noon and 6 p.m. It will include liturgies and devotions for all the faithful.

      Members of the executive committee and others involved in organizing CAM2 will be united in prayer at 6 a.m. daily to be enlightened by God as to the best way to serve the thousands of missionaries and faithful who will attend the congress from Nov. 25-30.

      See http://www.cam2guatemala.org

      * * *

      Hawaii's Other Would-be Saint: Mother Marianne Cope

      Vatican Accepts the Cause of Cohort of Father Damien

      KALAUPAPA, Hawaii, OCT. 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Mother Marianne Cope, a Franciscan religious whose mission in Hawaii was linked to that of Father Damien, is on the road to being canonized a saint.

      Last Friday "her cause was accepted unanimously by theologians of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, which supervises the process of beatification and canonization," said Sister William Marie Eleniki, the Franciscan regional administrator.

      The process has thus begun for this nun to be declared venerable, a step toward her possible beatification and canonization.

      Mother Marianne and Blessed Damien de Veuster are the only persons connected to Hawaii whose causes are under way, the Honolulu Advertiser reported.

      Born in Germany in 1838, Marianne Cope grew up in Utica, New York. She arrived in Hawaii in 1883, in response to King David Kalakaua's request for assistance for children with leprosy.

      At that time Hansen's disease was described as a "national affliction" in Hawaii. Mother Marianne, who was superior of the Franciscan Convent in Syracuse, New York, answered the call and took six other nuns with her. She remained in the islands until her death in 1918 at age 80.

      Mother Marianne worked in Kalaupapa, on the island of Molokai, with Father Damien, during the Belgian priest's last five months of life. He was beatified in 1995.

      A religious of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts, Damien de Veuster arrived on Molokai at age 33 to serve the lepers who had been exiled. He too was to die of leprosy in 1889.

      Mother Marianne succeeded him in caring for lepers in Kalaupapa and Oahu.

      "She worked with authority," said Sister Mary Laurence Hanley, who is in charge of the research for Mother Marianne's cause. "She worked with the government more and tried to go through official channels as much as possible. She knew when to raise her voice [and] when it would do no good to do so."

      Mother Marianne's legacy has inspired books, plays and songs. She is also listed among Hawaii's historical figures. In addition to creating a home for women with Hansen's disease in Molokai, she started what is now the Maui Memorial Hospital, the first on this island.

      After Father Damien's death, she took over the administration of the men's and boys' home in Molokai.

      Her Franciscan order has also had lasting benefits from her years of service. "A fifth of the community is from Hawaii, even though it's a New York community," said Sister Eleniki.

      * * *

      St. Benedict Menni Declared Patron of Volunteers in Taytay

      Vicariate in Philippines Gets Vatican Decree

      TAYTAY, Philippines, OCT. 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Taytay Vicariate obtained a decree from the Holy See declaring St. Benedict Menni patron of volunteers throughout the ecclesiastical territory, the first Church circumscription to obtain such a recognition.

      Bishop Edgardo Sarabia Juanich, apostolic vicar of Taytay, obtained the decree after having written a petition that was circulated among parishes and parish councils and then sent to the Vatican, the Fides agency reported.

      A decree issued by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments and signed Sept. 23 by the prefect, Cardinal Francis Arinze, grants the request and declares "Saint Benedict Angelo Menni, priest, patron and mediator with God for voluntary workers."

      The cathedral of Taytay has St. Joseph the Worker as its main patron, but Bishop Juanich decided to add statues of St. John of God and St. Benedict Menni, bearing, respectively, these inscriptions: patron of the sick and patron of voluntary workers.

      The Taytay Vicariate covers half the northern part of Palawan Island in the eastern Philippines.

      For some time the bishops of the Philippines proposed St. Benedict Menni as "universal patron of voluntary workers."

      "His exemplary care of the wounded, without discrimination, inspired and will continue to inspire religious and laity called to a life of voluntary service," the bishops wrote in a message.

      Cardinal Jaime Sin, then archbishop of Manila, was in favor of Menni's candidacy for universal patron of volunteers.

      "In his life we see divine inspiration and holiness which leads others to offer their lives to serve God and neighbor, especially the sick and the needy," the cardinal said. "We need a model to show us that the fullness of consecrated life consists in total trust in God for everything. And we see in St. Benedict the genuine qualities which all volunteers should posses."

      St. Benedict Menni was born in Milan on March 11, 1841, to very religious parents. In 1859, when he was 18, he went as a volunteer to care for the wounded at the battle of Magenta. In May 1860 he joined the Order of St. John of God Hospitaller Brothers. Six years later, he was ordained a priest and then appointed chaplain of his community. In 1881 he founded the Hospitaller Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

      St. Benedict Menni died on April 24, 1914. He was beatified in 1985 and canonized in 1999.

      Chapter Four (continued)

      Another aspect of "devotion to Heaven" found in the spiritual life and one useful to lectio divina is the fellowship of the angels. Leclercq points out the beauty and relationship man has with God is paralleled with angels and is reflected in Psalm 54: "Had I but wings, I cry, as a dove has wings, to fly away, and to find rest." This signifies the passionate and fervent desire for God in the human heart properly enkindled and guided by faith much like that of the angels in Heaven.

      Also, the gift of tears, born from compunction are too a personal form of devotion to heaven in our pining for God. Our hearts are moved during lectio divina, touched by compunction our hearts flow tears of repentance and those of longing for God and Heaven. Let us move our hearts today drinking in God's Word through holy meditation on the Scriptures. Let us shed tears today asking our gentle and loving Father for His mercy and holy sweet tender love for ever. Ask Mary, Queen of Angels and of Divine Love for the grace to be an authentic child of God sensitive to Him through a devout life --- submissive in all things to His Catholic Church where He who can neither deceive or be deceived reveals all things necessary for our salvation.

      Jean Leclercq, O.S.B., The Love of Learning and the Desire For God. A
      Study of Monastic Culture. (NY: Fordham University Press, 1961, 1974)
      ISBN 0-8232-0406-5

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/103103.htm>

      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>