    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2003

      MONDAY 13 October 2003

      • John Paul II Notes His "Preferential" Dialogue With Youth
      • Spokesman Assails Reports of Pope Undergoing Dialysis
      • East Timor President Meets Pope
      • Media Exaggerated U.S. Scandals, Says Cardinal Sodano
      • Remembrance of John Paul II's First Angelus in 1978
      • No Nobel, But Pope's Contribution Is Known, Says Official
      • Laity Seen as Key to Evangelization in Former Soviet Lands
      • Ireland Still Shows Signs of a Strong Faith
      • Bangalore Priest Slain at Hermitage
      • LECTIO DIVINA
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      John Paul II Notes His "Preferential" Dialogue With Youth

      To Mark 25th Anniversary as Pope This Week

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 12, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II opened a week of celebrations for his 25th anniversary as Pope by pointing out that he has long pursued a "preferential" dialogue with young people.

      The Holy Father took advantage of his Angelus address today to thank God for permitting him to reach this date. On Thursday he will celebrate his silver anniversary as Bishop of Rome by presiding at a Mass in St. Peter's Square.

      "I now thank all those who will be united with me in prayer, in gratitude to God for his constant and provident assistance," he told pilgrims gathered in the square to pray the midday Angelus.

      John Paul II then recalled his first Angelus message as Pope on Oct. 22, 1978, when he said to young people: "You are the future of the world, you are the hope of the Church, you are my hope."

      "I must acknowledge that the response of young people has been truly encouraging," he said in a tired voice. "Today I want to thank them for having always been close to me during these years and I want them to know that I continue to count on them."

      The Holy Father ended by entrusting future generations to the Virgin Mary, so that they will be prepared and disposed to do the will of God and "to build with generosity a more just and fraternal world."

      Celebrations for the 25th anniversary of this pontificate, the fourth longest in history, will begin on Wednesday afternoon with the opening of a meeting of cardinals from all over the world.

      On Thursday morning, the day of the anniversary, the Pope will sign the apostolic exhortation on the conclusions of the 2001 synod, which focused on the role of bishops. At 6 p.m. that day, he will preside at the Mass in St. Peter's Square.

      Next Sunday, Oct. 19, the Mass of beatification of Mother Teresa of Calcutta is expected to attract 200,000 people.

      On Oct. 21, the Pope will give the red hat to 30 new cardinals in a consistory. He has kept the name of a 31st cardinal secret.

      * * *

      Spokesman Assails Reports of Pope Undergoing Dialysis

      No Truth in Them, Says Navarro-Valls

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 12, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Vatican's spokesman criticized as "irresponsible" media reports that John Paul II had undergone dialysis.

      Joaquín Navarro-Valls, director of the Vatican press office, categorically denied reports by two Italian agencies that the Pope had undergone dialysis. He called the reports "amazing" as "there was no truth in them."

      "I think it is just irresponsible" reporting, Navarro-Valls said in an interview transmitted Saturday on Vatican Radio.

      "The fact is that during this pontificate, so transparent on these topics, we have always given information when it was necessary: before and after the Pope's hospitalizations, and on his operations, etc.," the spokesman said.

      Navarro-Valls urged journalists to confirm news with authorized individuals before they publish.

      Today, as usual, John Paul II greeted the pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square to pray the midday Angelus. On Saturday, he met with more than 3,000 Sardinian pilgrims and received in audience President Xanana Gusmao of East Timor, and Archbishop Claudio Gugerotti, the apostolic nuncio in Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

      Regarding the Pope's health, Navarro-Valls suggested that his public appearances be followed on television or radio.

      "It is obvious that the Pope has visible physical limitations; he does not show them but neither does he hide them," Navarro-Valls said. "At the same time, he makes a great effort so these physical limitations will not be an obstacle to his mission."

      * * *

      East Timor President Meets Pope

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 12, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II received in audience President Xanana Gusmao of East Timor and a group of top officials from the Asian island country.

      During the meeting Saturday, they recalled the papal visit to that country, then occupied by Indonesia, on Oct. 12, 1989.

      Gusmao was unable to meet the Pope in 1989 because the former was in the jungle leading the independence movement. Gusmao was elected president after the country's independence was internationally recognized in May 2002.

      The Vatican press office gave no further details on the meeting.

      In June, Gusmao was awarded the Path to Peace prize for his key role in the process of reconciliation and pacification of East Timor. The Holy See's U.N. mission conferred the award.

      East Timor is a former Portuguese colony of about 997,000 inhabitants, of whom 95% are Catholic.

      * * *

      Media Exaggerated U.S. Scandals, Says Cardinal Sodano

      Also Asks for Balance in Reporting on Pope's Health

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 12, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Vatican's secretary of state says the media's reporting of the U.S. scandals attributed to some priests was exaggerated.

      "The scandals in the United States received disproportionate attention from the media," Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano told Reuters in an interview Friday. "There are thieves in every country, but it's hard to say that everyone is a thief."

      The cardinal noted that there are more than 48,000 priests in the United States. "The vast majority are generous pastors," he said. "Why should there be so much aggressiveness toward them, and so many unjust generalizations?"

      "I am sorry to see these wonderful missionaries who have dedicated their lives [to Christ], seeing themselves derided after 50 years of work," he lamented.

      "It is fair to condemn evil, but one must keep it in proportion," the cardinal continued. Asked if there might have been a plot to discredit the Church, he said: "We don't have evidence of this but I know that many people have thought this. We give the facts."

      Referring to John Paul II's health, Cardinal Sodano said that although the Pope is obviously weaker, he continues to hold the reins of the Church.

      "I'm not pretending that the Pope is fine, no," he said. "It is obvious that time passes for everyone. It is a law of life that someone who is 83 does not have the strength that he had when he was 33. But let's not engage in science fiction."

      Commenting on Iraq, the cardinal added that the Church "hopes that men of goodwill will help [Iraq] so that it soon gets back its freedom and its sovereignty."

      * * *

      Remembrance of John Paul II's First Angelus in 1978

      Notes Preferential Dialogue With the Young

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 12, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today before praying the Angelus with pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. Next Thursday, Oct. 16, will be the 25th year of my pontificate. At 6 p.m. I will celebrate a solemn Mass of thanksgiving in St. Peter's Square. I now thank all those who will be united with me in prayer, in gratitude to God for his constant and provident assistance.

      2. I remember those days of October 1978. I recall, in a special way today, the first Angelus that I recited from this window on Oct. 22. In the mystery of the Incarnation, which this prayer helps us to contemplate, I then tried to "embrace the whole future of the pontificate, of the People of God, and of the whole human family" -- as I said -- "the family has its beginning in the will of the Father, but is always conceived under the heart of the Mother" ("Insegnamenti," I, 1978, 43).

      3. Now, while I recall the past with gratitude, I look upon young people with whom I established, from the beginning of my Petrine ministry, a preferential dialogue. I remember that, at the end of that first Angelus, I added a special greeting to them, saying: "You are the future of the world, you are the hope of the Church, you are my hope."

      I must acknowledge that the response of young people has been truly encouraging. Today I want to thank them for having always been close to me during these years and I want them to know that I continue to count on them.

      I entrust them to you, O Mary, who are the perennial youth of the Church. Help them to be prepared and disposed to do the will of God, to build with generosity a more just and fraternal world.

      * * *

      No Nobel, But Pope's Contribution Is Known, Says Official

      Cardinal Sodano Calls John Paul II a "Messenger of Peace"

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 10, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Although John Paul II did not win the Nobel Peace Prize this year, "all men of good will recognize his contribution," says the Vatican's secretary of state.

      Earlier today, Norway's Nobel Committee announced that Iranian human rights lawyer Shirin Ebadi had won its peace prize, confounding some predictions that the ailing, 83-year-old Pope might be chosen, Reuters reported.

      "The Pope is a messenger of peace," Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano said in an interview, according to the news agency. "If an organization wants to recognize it, that's fine. But the Pope is above these things."

      Meanwhile, a telephone poll conducted by the Instituto Directa revealed that more than three-quarters of Italians surveyed think that the Holy Father should have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

      According to the survey, 77.3% said the Pope deserved the award. Their second choice was Ebadi (10.1%). Former Czech Republic President Vaclav Havel had the support of 3.2% of Italians, and U2 singer Bono, 2.4%.

      The survey canvassed 1,000 people, shortly after the announcement that the prize for 2003 went to Ebadi.

      Cardinal Sodano noted that the Nobel Committee had honored prominent Christians in recent years, Reuters said.

      "We have seen with pleasure in the past that they gave the Nobel Prize to Mother Teresa, and Monsignor Carlos Belo of East Timor, Archbishop Tutu of South Africa and other deserving Christians," he said.

      * * *

      Laity Seen as Key to Evangelization in Former Soviet Lands

      Interview With Vicar General of Kiev

      KIEV, Ukraine, OCT. 12, 2003 (ZENIT.org-Avvenire).- Conferees at the first Congress of Catholic Laity of Eastern Europe concluded that the role of the laity in evangelization is "an indispensable duty after 70 years of forced marginalization."

      This conviction was expressed by Father Wieslaw Stepien, vicar general of the diocese of Kiev and organizer of the meeting, who revealed that the idea of holding a congress in Ukraine on the role of the Eastern European laity "was born practically the day after the Pope's visit, in June 2001."

      The Pontifical Council for the Laity promoted the congress, which ended today.

      In this interview, Father Stepien highlights the importance of the meeting for the Eastern European Church and lay faithful.

      Q: Congresses of the laity are frequent in the West. Here, however, it is the first time that one is organized. Why?

      Father Stepien: Here, man has been destroyed by 70 years of Communism. All the realms of human activity, at the professional, social or communal level, were controlled for a long time by a totalitarian regime. And the Church had a hard time surviving, restricted to the exercise of worship.

      It made no sense to talk about the presence of the laity in the university or at work. This is why it has taken 10 years to have a meeting of this nature.

      Q: Does it mean that the Church in the East has always been primarily clerical?

      Father Stepien: Exactly. However, as I said, it was due to external circumstances, not to the will of the hierarchy, which feels strongly the need to have a mature and responsible laity, which is the principal agent of missionary activity.

      Q: Is there a change?

      Father Stepien: Yes. Suffice it to think that in Ukraine there are 5 million Catholics, or close to 10% of the population, and half of them are practicing. They feel all the weight of being Christians in a society that is fast becoming secular, with the phenomena of social and moral degradation typical of post-Communism. Moreover, there is another reason that makes the issue of the laity ever more urgent.

      Q: What is it?

      Father Stepien: There are few priests and the territory is very extensive. Naturally, I'm not just talking about Ukraine, but about the whole Soviet Union. The new evangelization toward the East depends above all on the witness of ordinary believers.

      Q: The Pope sent a message rich in content to the congress. The assembly received it with much applause. There was something special between these people and the Holy Father. How do you explain it?

      Father Stepien: It is natural that it should be so. Basically, this congress is also a tribute to all that John Paul II has done, and continues to do, for the countries of the East.

      His visit to Ukraine rekindled the soul of many persons in the religious sense. To invite representatives of the laity of all the former Soviet countries to this congress is our gift for the 25th anniversary of his pontificate.

      * * *

      Ireland Still Shows Signs of a Strong Faith

      Though Mass Attendance Is Lower Among the Young

      ENNIS, Ireland, OCT. 12, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Parts of Irish society still strongly embrace Catholicism, though young people seem less inclined to practice the faith of their fathers, recent surveys indicate.

      A survey by the Killaloe Diocese in County Clare found that more than 60% of the faithful attend Mass regularly, thanks to older parishioners. Almost three-quarters (74%) of people over 40 of age said they go to church regularly, compared with just 42.3% of those under 40.

      Bishop Willie Walsh said overall he was encouraged by the survey results. "Attitudes to the Church and the priesthood are much more positive than anecdotal comment would lead one to expect," he said.

      "I believe we can take heart from most of the findings of this survey," he added. "We commissioned it to help us develop a vocations strategy and the results raise my hope that we can work to draw young people to the priesthood and the religious life."

      The process to develop a national strategy for vocations promotion was precisely the theme of a four-day workshop last week in Dundrum, County Tipperary. It attracted 20 Irish dioceses.

      Father Kevin Doran, national coordinator of vocations, said: "There is a perception out there that vocations directors are anxious to get people into seminaries at all costs. The opposite is the case. In these times of shortage, we have to be more careful than ever to make sure that mature decisions are made in the light of faith."

      The Killaloe survey seemed to indicate that perceptions about the priesthood are still positive. More than 90% of those surveyed thought that priests were doing a good job.

      The survey revealed that 16.5% at some point thought about pursuing the priesthood or religious life and as many as one in 10 of those under 40 years had considered it.

      Another poll, conducted recently for Ireland's state broadcasters RTE, found that about half of the Irish aged 18 or older attend weekly Mass, down 10 percentage points from a similar poll taken in 1998. The poll was taken by questioning 1,000 adults face to face.

      Among 18- to 24-year-olds, only one-quarter attend Mass weekly or more frequently. This figure rises to 27% for 25- to 34-year-olds.

      Despite the low attendance, some 49% of Irish aged 18 to 24 say the Church is important in their lives. Among the 25-34 group, the figure rises to 62%.

      The survey also found that 87% of Catholics would like their children to be brought up in the faith. "This will give no encouragement to those who want to diminish the Church's role in education," commented Ronan Mullen of the Irish Examiner.

      * * *

      Bangalore Priest Slain at Hermitage

      BANGALORE, India, OCT. 12, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A priest was found dead in the hermitage where he lived, the victim of foul play, the Fides news agency reported.

      Officials are investigating the death of Father Sanjeevananda Swami, 52, of the Archdiocese of Bangalore, in the state of Karnataka. He died last Tuesday, Fides reported Saturday.

      Fides said the priest had been threatened in the past by Hindu extremists, although investigators are not excluding disputes caused by neighbors.

      Father Swami had his archbishop's permission to live in the hermitage. He was buried in Palai, a city in the state of Kerala, where he was born. He was ordained in 1993.

      Chapter Three of Jean Leclerc to be resumed tomorrow.

      For more on Benedictine tradition on lectio divina go to their website at the URL: http://osb.org/lectio/

      Roman Catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as copy go to
      EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the
      Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/101303.htm>

      publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      The Benedictine monks of Abbaye Saint-Joseph de Clairval mail a free monthly newsletter to anyone who requests it. Also free of charge are: the tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter
      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      Email: <englishspoken@...> or <stjoseph.flavigny@...>

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation
      for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of
      the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer
      you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her
      robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four
      ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page;(4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long
      rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: <http://
      groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News>, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced,distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners.
      All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit , Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as
      follows: