    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2003

      MONDAY 25 August 2003

      Feast of SS. Louis and Joseph Calasanz

      • More Reflections on European Integration
      • Evangelization Needs to Awaken a Longing for Love of God, Says John Paul II
      • Young People Exhorted to Combat Evil for Sake of Peace
      • Cardinal Ratzinger Sees "Weakness of Faith" Behind the Crisis
      • Slovenian Episcopate Sees a Rising Anti-Catholicism
      • Russia Tightens Restrictions on Abortions
      • Cardinal McCarrick Calls on U.S. to Aid Farmworkers
      • Pro-lifer in Peru Now Heads a Key Panel
      • Inmate Faces Charges in Death of Boston Abuser
      • LECTIO DIVINA
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      More Reflections on European Integration

      Pope Again Urges Recognition of Christian Roots of Continent

      CASTEL GANDOLFO, Italy, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address given by John Paul II today when he met with thousands of pilgrims gathered in the papal summer residence to pray the Angelus. The address was in Italian.

      * * *

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. My thoughts return once again to the current process of European integration and, in particular, to the determinant role of its institutions.

      I think, in the first place, of the European Union, committed to finding new forms of openness, meeting and collaboration among its member states.

      I think, moreover, of the Council of Europe, with headquarters at Strasbourg, and of the annexed European Court of the Rights of Man, which carry out the noble task of creating a Europe of liberties, justice and solidarity.

      Finally, mention must also be made of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, which is dedicated to promoting the cause of the fundamental liberties of persons and nations of the continent.

      2. I follow in prayer the laborious progress of the constitutional treaty of the European Union, now being studied by the governments of the various countries. I trust that all those who are dedicating their energies to it will always be moved by the conviction that "a proper ordering of society must be rooted in authentic ethical and civil values shared as widely as possible by its citizens" [apostolic exhortation "Ecclesia in Europa," 114].

      For its part, the Catholic Church is convinced that the Gospel of Christ, which has been a unifying element of European peoples during many centuries, continues to be, also today, an inexhaustible source of spirituality and fraternity. To take this into account is to the advantage of all, and to recognize explicitly in the treaty the Christian roots of Europe becomes for the continent the principal guarantee of a future.

      3. Let us invoke Mary Most Holy, so that in the construction of the Europe of today and tomorrow that spiritual inspiration will not be neglected which is indispensable to operate in an authentic way in the service of man. Such an inspiration finds in the Gospel a sure guarantee in favor of the freedom, justice and peace of all, believers and nonbelievers.

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      [After praying the Angelus, the Holy Father greeted the pilgrims in several languages. In English, he said:]

      I am pleased to greet the English-speaking pilgrims and visitors present in this Angelus prayer. Upon you and your families I cordially invoke God's blessings of joy and peace.

      * * *

      Evangelization Needs to Awaken a Longing for Love of God, Says John Paul II

      Cautions That the World Distracts People From Seeking Real Happiness

      VATICAN CITY, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The challenge of the new evangelization is to help people, distracted by sin and the world, rediscover a longing for the love of God, says John Paul II.

      The Pope expressed this in a message sent to the "Meeting for Friendship Among Peoples," a weeklong event organized by the Communion and Liberation ecclesial movement.

      The event, expected to attract 600,000 people, is offering 130 meetings, 29 performances, 17 exhibitions and 10 sports competitions in the Italian coastal city of Rimini. The event ends next Saturday. Among the speakers are figures from the world of politics, economics, culture and entertainment.

      Ecclesiastical guests include Archbishop Coadjutor Diarmuid Martin of Dublin, Ireland; Archbishop Terrence Prendergast of Halifax, Nova Scotia; Cardinal Christoph Schönborn of Vienna, Austria; and Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani of Lima, Peru.

      The Pope dedicates his letter, sent by Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano, to comment on the central question of the meeting, taken from the Psalms: "Is there a man who longs for life and desires happy days?"

      "Man spends long periods of his life almost insensitive to the call to authentic happiness, a call which, however, he keeps in his conscience; he is as though distracted by the multiple relations with reality and his inner ear seems no longer able to react," the Holy Father says in the letter.

      "God makes himself present; addresses man turned in on himself, confused by his own iniquity; tries repeatedly to attract his attention. God's insistence, which is manifested with love to a child whose life is headed toward ruin, is an overwhelming mystery of mercy and generosity," the Pope writes.

      "The world that humanity has built, particularly in the last centuries, tends often to overshadow in persons the natural desire for happiness, increasing the distraction in which they run the risk of falling due to their intrinsic weakness," he says. "Present-day society favors a kind of desire able to be controlled according to psychological and sociological laws and, therefore, able to be utilized often for the benefit or creation of consensus."

      In this way, the Pope explains, "a multiplicity of desires has substituted the longing that God has placed in the person as a goad so that he will seek and find him in fulfillment and peace. Partial desires, oriented with powerful means capable of influencing consciences, become centrifugal forces, which lead the human being increasingly further away from himself and leave him dissatisfied and, at times, even violent."

      "The human creature, animated by this desire for infinite fulfillment, can never be reduced to a simple means to attain any interest," he adds. "The divine trace, which takes the form of longing for happiness, by its very nature does not allow it to be instrumentalized."

      "The uneasiness before the question of Psalm 33 comes, therefore, from the fact that man often does not find the strength to say: 'I! I am a man who wants life and desires happy days,'" the Holy Father writes.

      According to John Paul II, the "theme of the meeting is a reminder of the need for rescue; one must recover the energy and courage to place himself before God to respond to the 'here I am' of the Lord, saying, even if in a weak voice, echo of that same call, 'Here I am, I am also here. I invoke you, now that you have found me again.'"

      "This response to the God who cries out until he overcomes our deafness, describes a person's overwhelming realization, in his innermost self. It takes place precisely at the moment in which God's call succeeds in breaking the clouds that enveloped one's conscience. Only this response, 'Here I am,' restores to man his true face, and represents the beginning of his rescue," the Holy Father says.

      To reach this objective, "the person must be supported by an adequate formation," the Pope concludes. "Education, therefore, is never directed to the masses, but to the individual person, in his unique and unrepeatable physiognomy. This presupposes a sincere love for man's freedom and a tireless commitment in his defense."

      Communion and Liberation, the meeting's organizer, is a movement whose objective is the mature Christian education of its members and collaboration with the Church's mission in all realms of contemporary society. The movement is active in some 70 countries.

      * * *

      Young People Exhorted to Combat Evil for Sake of Peace

      CASTEL GANDOLFO, Italy, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Amid world tensions, John Paul II reminded young Catholics that a Christian becomes an agent "to combat evil with good."

      The Pope expressed this conviction on Saturday, at the papal summer residence, when he met with a group of Italians from the Salesian Youth Movement.

      The Holy Father invited the young people to be always "joyful, generous and courageous when it comes to combating evil with good." In this way, he added, "you will be architects of hope and peace in every realm of life."

      The Pope, referring to the Salesians' founder, took advantage of the occasion to emphasize "the present importance of the charism and message of Don John Bosco, especially for the new generations."

      "The Salesian spirit, in fact, helps young people to understand that the Gospel is the inexhaustible source of life and joy," the Pope said.

      * * *

      Cardinal Ratzinger Sees "Weakness of Faith" Behind the Crisis

      Warns of the Anonymity of Bishops' Conferences

      IRONDALE, Alabama, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- For Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the crisis the Church is going through, particularly in the United States, is "a weakness of faith" that calls for conversion and "clear moral teaching."

      The prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith expressed this conviction in an interview with EWTN news director Raymond Arroyo, in Rome, for the news show "The World Over Live." The complete interview, in English, will be aired by Alabama-based EWTN on Friday, Sept. 5, at 8 p.m. (U.S. Eastern time).

      The cardinal answered far-ranging questions posed by Arroyo on, among other topics, the root causes of the sexual abuse crisis in the United States, the Vatican official's estimation of the Church's future, and a comment on his possible retirement.

      On the latter, Cardinal Ratzinger said, "Yes, I had the desire to retire in 1991, 1996, 2001, because I had the idea I could write some books and return to my studies as Cardinal Martini did. But, on the other hand, seeing the suffering Pope, I cannot say to the Pope, 'I will retire, I will write my books.' I have to continue."

      Asked what he identifies as the root cause of the sexual abuse crisis, Cardinal Ratzinger said, "The general element is a weakness of human beings, even of priests. Temptations are present also for the priests. I think the essential point is a weakness of faith."

      "So, two things are essential: Conversion to a profound and deep faith, with a life of prayer and sacraments, and clear moral teaching and awareness of the teaching that the Church has the Holy Spirit and can give us the way," the cardinal said.

      Arroyo asked: "The bishops' conference has largely taken the lead, the national conference, in trying to heal and put an end to this crisis. Because there is such a lack of confidence, if you will today, among the faithful in their episcopacy, do you believe the bishops' conference to be the best instrument of that healing at this point?"

      Cardinal Ratzinger replied, "Coordination between the bishops is certainly necessary because the United States is a great continent. From the outset it is clear that the personal responsibility of the bishop is fundamental for the Church, and perhaps the anonymity of the bishops' conferences can be a danger for the Church. Nobody is personally, immediately responsible. It was always the conference -- and you do not know where or who is the conference."

      On another issue, Arroyo asked: "You've discussed often the nature of sexuality and that it finds its home in the context of marriage. This today is a very contested notion and a very contested teaching. How does the Church bring that message into a culture where we now have homosexual marriages being legalized, in vitro fertilization and technologies of reproduction outside of the marital act? How do you bring this teaching to the culture?"

      Cardinal Ratzinger answered, "It is always essential that the nature of a human being is a given, and we understand that men and women were created one for the other. So I think even if our culture is against marriage as an essential form of relations between women and men, I think our nature is always present and we can understand it if we will to understand it."

      "I hope," he said, "it is possible in a sincere and open dialogue with the people to understand even today that our nature is this: Man and woman are created one for the other."

      * * *

      Slovenian Episcopate Sees a Rising Anti-Catholicism

      LJUBLJANA, Slovenia, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Slovenian episcopate publicly criticized acts of intolerance against the Catholic Church in the country.

      "Numerous acts of religious violence in Slovenia have taken place, especially in relation with the Catholic Church, Christian values and sacred buildings," a statement of the bishops' Justice and Peace Commission disclosed.

      Among other incidents, the statement mentions the Ljubljana municipality's prohibition of the ringing of bells on Aug. 15, solemnity of the Assumption and a public holiday.

      It also refers to the profanation of churches and religious statues, and the burning of a crucifix, and laments that "none of the representatives of power explicitly condemned these actions."

      "What is more, much of the media has humiliated and condemned representatives of the Catholic Church for the condemnations expressed following offenses to several places of worship," the commission said.

      The panel said the reasons for this growing intolerance must be sought in "the many problems of the relation between the state and the Church which have remained unresolved" in this former Communist country of 1.9 million.

      The statement calls for the intervention of the country's president, of the government, of the Human Rights Commission, and of media directors to halt the rise of intolerance against Catholics.

      * * *

      Russia Tightens Restrictions on Abortions

      MOSCOW, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Russia has increased its restrictions on abortion for the first time since 1955, reports the New York Times.

      The restrictions appear to reflect the first stirrings of a wider debate over the morality of abortion, as well as the effect abortions on women's health and on the demographic future of Russia, the paper said.

      Before, women could get an abortion between the 12th and 22nd weeks of their pregnancies by citing one of 13 special circumstances called "social indicators." Now, the government's decision has reduced the number to four, including rape. Abortion is still unrestricted until the 12th week.

      * * *

      Cardinal McCarrick Calls on U.S. to Aid Farmworkers

      Says Exploitation Is Ongoing

      WASHINGTON, D.C., AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Though their plight has not been publicized much in recent years, farmworkers "still have a claim on our conscience," says the chairman of the U.S. bishops' domestic policy committee.

      In his annual Labor Day statement, Cardinal Theodore McCarrick said farmworkers "often find themselves linguistically and culturally isolated and vulnerable to exploitation and discrimination because of their legal status and language barriers."

      While some farmers treat their workers well and deserve commendation, he said, "too many do not, often relying on labor contractors, some of whom essentially traffic in human labor and suffering for economic profit."

      "When farmworkers do come, they too often find meager jobs, decrepit housing and unsafe conditions," the archbishop of Washington said. "Some end up living under bridges or even in caves."

      "Violations of wage and hour laws are commonplace," he added. "Their children often must join them in the fields because without their help, the family may not survive. They can face death and injuries on the job from dangerous farm equipment and the threat of poisoning from the pesticides used to protect the crops."

      As a remedy, Cardinal McCarrick called on the U.S. government to ensure that farmworkers receive a decent wage and living conditions that are safe and humane.

      He also urged "comprehensive immigration reform which features legalization" so that undocumented farmworkers can obtain legal status which will allow them to assert their basic labor rights more freely.

      The U.S. bishops' conference plans to address the concerns of farmworkers and the agricultural sector during their semiannual meeting in November.

      * * *

      Pro-lifer in Peru Now Heads a Key Panel

      LIMA, Peru, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Observers are hoping the election of an independent congressman to the presidency of the congressional Health, Population and Family Commission will mark the end of a coercive population-control policy.

      Héctor Chávez -- known for his pro-life stance and for presiding over the commission that accused then President Alberto Fujimori of violating the human rights of hundreds of thousands of peasant women through his campaign of massive sterilization -- was elected last week by panel members and installed after a bitter debate.

      Congressman Santos Jaimes asked Chávez to renounce his candidacy to the presidency of the commission because of his "confessional religious tendency, which is opposed to the principles of medical science."

      Fellow congressmen criticized Jaimes' stance, accusing him of violating an elementary right of people: freedom of thought and conscience.

      Jaimes, who favors abortion, then retreated and acknowledged that "we should not involve ourselves in the principles and faith of others."

      Addressing the group, the new president thanked his colleagues for his election and appealed to them to "unite their efforts and wills to work for the good of the great majorities."

      * * *

      Inmate Faces Charges in Death of Boston Abuser

      BOSTON, Massachusetts, AUG. 24, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Geoghan, the convicted child molester who was a central figure in the U.S. clerical sex-abuse scandals, died after apparently being strangled in prison.

      The defrocked priest, 68, died Saturday after being attacked by a fellow inmate with a white supremacist past, officials said.

      Prosecutors said they plan to charge Joseph Druce, 37, with murder. Druce is already serving a life sentence for a 1988 murder.

      An autopsy on Geoghan was planned for Monday. He was convicted last year of indecent assault and battery in the first of three criminal cases brought against him.

      "The Archdiocese of Boston offers prayers for the repose of John's soul and extends its prayers and consolation to his beloved sister, Cathy, at this time of personal loss," said Father Christopher Coyne, a spokesman for the archdiocese.

      The fourth section of Chapter One is entitled: “Contemplation in Jesus”

      This section is focused on our union with Christ and the Holy Spirit in prayer to the Father. First, Jesus invites us to join Him in prayer to the Father. Second, “It is available to us in the measure of our faith and love, which are the proximate means, in this life, of “seeing” God, of touching and being touched by him –i.e., of “experiencing” Him.” (13).

      Sister Thelma points out that there is a unity and interrelationship between Jesus’ praying and His public ministry. She notes that whenever the Gospels mention Jesus going to pray it is followed by Jesus performing great deeds and preaching publicly. As examples she gives citations from the Gospel According to St. John 5:19-20; 7:16-17; 8:26-28; 17:8.

      Discipleship means being one with Jesus Christ in unity with the Holy Spirit in prayer to and in and contemplation of the Father.

      Thelma Hall, R.C., Too Deep For Word. Rediscovering Lectio Divina. (Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1988). ISBN 0-8091-2959-0

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/082503.htm>

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      The Benedictine monks of Abbaye Saint-Joseph de Clairval mail a free monthly newsletter to anyone who requests it. Also free of charge are: the tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter
      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      Email: <englishspoken@...> or <stjoseph.flavigny@...>

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News>, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit , Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: