Volume 1, No. 29

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2001

      FRIDAY, 26 OCTOBER, 2001

      TWENTY-NINTH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME

      • POST SYNODAL COUNCIL
      • POPE WELCOMES CATHOLIC PATRIARCHS PARTICIPATING
      IN SYNOD
      • China Signals Its Conditions: No Taiwan and No Meddling
      Initial Reaction to Pope´s Offer
      • 2 Eastern Leaders Talk About Unity with Orthodox
      Ukrainian Cardinal More Cautious About Prospects
      • On Ecumenism, Islam and the U.S. Image Abroad
      Interview with Patriarch Ignatius IV Haze of Antioch
      • AUDIENCES
      • NEED A MIRACLE?

      * * *

      POST SYNODAL COUNCIL

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 26, 2001 (VIS) - The Twenty-fourth General
      Congregation took place this morning, during which there was
      the second vote on the Post-Synodal Council of the General
      Secretariat and the presentation of the Final List of Propositions.
      The president delegate on duty was Cardinal Bernard Agre.

      At the end of the congregation, Cardinal Schotte announced that
      the Holy Father has decided to give a gift to all the participants in
      the synod. Those who are bishops will receive a  pectoral cross
      and chain, inspired by the words "Duc in altum," taken from the
      Apostolic Letter "Novo Millennio Ineunte." Other participants will
      receive the official medal of the 23rd anniversary of John Paul II's
      pontificate in either silver or bronze.

      The Twenty-fifth and final General Congregation, for the vote on
      the propositions and for the conclusion of the Synod work, will
      take place this afternoon.

      * * *

      POPE WELCOMES CATHOLIC PATRIARCHS PARTICIPATING
      IN SYNOD

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 26, 2001 (VIS) - John Paul II this morning
      welcomed the six Catholic patriarchs who are participating in the
      Synod of Bishops and told them that their "presence at this
      meeting ... expresses in an especially meaningful way the
      catholicity of the Church."

        He received Cardinal Stephanos II Ghattas, patriarch of
      Alexandria of the Copts, Egypt; Ignace Pierre VIII Abdel-Ahad,
      patriarch of Antioch of the Syrians, Lebanon; Gregoire III Laham,
      patriarch of Antioch of the Greek-Melkites, Syria; Cardinal
      Nasrallah Pierre Sfeir, patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites,
      Lebanon; Raphael I Bidawid, patriarch of Babylon of the
      Chaldeans, Iraq and Nerses Bedros XIX Tarmouni, patriarch of
      Cilicia of the Armenians, Lebanon.

        "I happily welcome this occasion," said the Holy Father, "to
      express once again my spiritual closeness to your trials and to
      those of the populations entrusted to your pastoral care.
      Together let us pray so that the serious problems that you must
      face daily may find a ready and satisfying solution. At this time,
      my thoughts go to the land made holy by the presence and
      preaching of the Redeemer. The land in which He shed His
      blood for the salvation of the world and from which, when He
      arose from the dead, He sent His apostles to the world.

        "I assure you," the Pope added, "that every day I follow with
      close attention the events involving the peoples of the Middle
      East and, in communion with the entire Church, I pray daily that
      we might see the dawn of a lasting and honorable peace for
      everyone. In this moment of intense fraternal communion, I ask
      you to extend to the clergy, consecrated persons and all the
      faithful an expression of my most cordial greetings."

      * * *

      China Signals Its Conditions: No Taiwan and No Meddling
      Initial Reaction to Pope´s Offer

      BEIJING, OCT. 25, 2001 (Zenit.org).- China signaled its
      conditions for accepting John Paul II's request for forgiveness for
      the Church's past errors and his proposal for renewal of
      dialogue.

      Government sources reported today that Beijing might restore
      relations with Rome if the Vatican severs relations with Taiwan
      and if religion is not used as a "pretext" to meddle in China's
      internal affairs.

      Sun Yuxi, spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, commented that
      China "has always said that it is prepared to improve its
      relations with the Vatican."

      But, he added, "the Vatican must sever its diplomatic relations
      with Taiwan, [and] recognize the government of the People's
      Republic of China as the only legitimate representative of the
      whole of China, and Taiwan as an inalienable part of Chinese
      territory."

      In the second place, the Vatican "cannot interfere with China's
      internal affairs using the pretext of religious issues," the Foreign
      Ministry spokesman said.

      If "they can accept this principle in the future, the two of us can be
      like other states," he added. He noted that contact "through
      diplomatic channels has been going on."

      Although the Holy Father asked for forgiveness in a message
      sent on Wednesday to the participants in the international
      congress on missionary Matteo Ricci (1552-1610), the
      spokesman replied that "there has been no change in the
      principles I mentioned."

      "At present we are making an in-depth examination of John Paul
      II's message," the spokesman said. This could mean that
      Beijing has not given a definitive answer to the Pope's call.

      The Communist government severed diplomatic ties with the
      Vatican in the 1950s, expelled Catholic missionaries, and forced
      Chinese believers to register with the state-approved Patriotic
      Association, which claims about 5 million members.

      * * *

      Holy See OKs Optional Protocols on Children´s Rights
      Goes Further to Try to Guarantee Protections

      NEW YORK, OCT. 25, 2001 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See further
      signaled its concern for the world's young by ratifying two
      optional protocols to the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

      The convention was adopted by the U.N. General Assembly in
      May 2000. On Wednesday, Archbishop Renato Martino,
      permanent observer of the Holy See to the United Nations,
      deposited the instruments of ratification of the two protocols at
      U.N. headquarters.

      An optional protocol to a treaty is an instrument that establishes
      additional rights and obligations to a treaty. It is of an
      independent character and subject to independent ratification.

      Such protocols enable certain parties of the treaty to establish
      among themselves a set of obligations which reach further than
      the general treaty and to which not all parties of the general treaty
      consent.

      The first explicitly prohibits the sale of children, child prostitution,
      and child pornography, and calls for legal protection against the
      sexual exploitation of children, the transfer of their organs, and
      forced labor.

      The Vatican will be the 11th state to ratify this protocol, adding to
      the required number of 10 ratifications, which allow the protocol
      to enter into force.

      The other protocol refers to the Involvement of Children in Armed
      Conflict, an ongoing evil.

      In his address at the U.N. headquarters in New York, Archbishop
      Martino emphasized that "too many of the world's children are
      affected by war and conflict every day of their lives. They all bear
      the physical and psychological scars, which might be the result
      of direct involvement as combatants and child soldiers, or
      through abduction, abuse, separation from family, malnutrition
      and lost educational opportunities."

      The protocol on "Children in Armed Conflict" expands the
      protection of children from recruitment for participation in armed
      conflict to the age of 18, and reinforces the prohibition of the
      recruitment of children by armed forces distinct from the state.

      The Vatican will be the seventh state to ratify the protocol. Three
      more states must ratify it before it, too, enters into force.

      Archbishop Martino acknowledged that, "while codification is a
      legal guarantee, it does not give certainty of protection."

      "True protection comes from the genuine love, care and concern
      that each person is called to give in recognizing all children as a
      precious gift from God," he said.

      * * *

      2 Eastern Leaders Talk About Unity with Orthodox
      Ukrainian Cardinal More Cautious About Prospects

      VATICAN CITY, OCT. 25, 2001 (Zenit.org).- Two Eastern-rite
      Catholic leaders hope their communities will be a bridge of unity
      between the Roman and Orthodox Churches. But they showed
      different degrees of optimism on how fast that will happen.

      Gregory III Laham, patriarch of Antioch of the Greek-Melkites, and
      Cardinal Lubomyr Husar, archbishop major of Lviv, Ukraine, met
      with journalists Tuesday to explain their Churches' situation and
      eventual steps that might be taken after the Synod of Bishops.
      They are attending the synod, which ends Saturday.

      Patriarch Gregory, whose see is in Damascus, was pleased
      with the welcome given by the synod to Eastern-rite Catholics
      (who have the same origin as the Orthodox, but are in
      communion with Rome), and noted a certain willingness "to
      listen to the voice of this little Eastern flock."

      The issue of the relations between the Catholic and Orthodox
      Churches has been addressed at the synod. John Paul II has
      promoted the ties.

      Gregory III announced that he wrote a letter, which was
      distributed to the synod participants, in which he proposed the
      reinforcement of relations between Middle Eastern Catholic
      Churches, and those of Eastern Europe and India, for the
      purpose of full unity with Rome.

      "The synod does not end in Rome; we wish to walk together in
      the third millennium," the patriarch said.

      Cardinal Husar, who must contend with Moscow's Orthodox
      Patriarch Alexy II, was somewhat pessimistic. The "step from the
      ear to the heart might take longer and be more difficult than
      imagined," the Ukrainian cardinal cautioned.

      The cardinal said he was disappointed "by the position of the
      patriarch of Moscow, who continues to speak of the 'Uniates' -- a
      pejorative term used by Orthodox, who refer to Eastern-rite
      Catholics as a 'problem.'"

      In fact, the Russian patriarch was categorically opposed to the
      papal visit to Ukraine last June.

      According to the Ukrainian cardinal, "the closer we get to a
      solution of the problem between the Catholic Church and the
      Orthodox, the more excuses are found not to come to an
      agreement. Patriarch Alexy accuses Eastern-rite Catholics of
      using violence against Orthodox, but we are not aware of any
      such case."

      "Because of this, we have asked him to point out at least one
      such case, but he has not given us an answer," the cardinal
      concluded.

      Gregory III reported on progress in "the dialogue between
      patriarchs and the Pope, which is developing very well," and
      recalled that "in 1998 the Holy Father received all the patriarchs
      of the Middle East in audience." On that occasion, the Pontiff
      asked for support to have his Petrine ministry better understood.

      The patriarchs responded by preparing a 20-page document,
      including proposals to develop relations between patriarchal
      Churches and the Apostolic See. The Holy Father said the
      document would be "studied with special care."

      As John Paul II states in his encyclical "Ut Unum Sint," the papal
      ministry is a critical point for progress in the ecumenical
      dialogue. The Pontiff himself initiated a debate with the other
      Churches to find ways to apply his ministry, which might be
      accepted by the Orthodox, but without undermining Christ's
      mandate to his Apostle Peter.

      Gregory III announced that a conference of Eastern Catholic
      Churches will be held Nov. 19-23 in Rome, organized by the
      Oriental Institute.

      * * *

      On Ecumenism, Islam and the U.S. Image Abroad
      Interview with Patriarch Ignatius IV Haze of Antioch

      BOSE, Italy, OCT. 25, 2001 (ZENIT.org-Avvenire).-
      Greek-Orthodox Patriarch Ignatius IV Hazim of Antioch stayed at
      the ecumenical monastery of Bose, Italy, before meeting this
      week with John Paul II, six months after the Pope's historic trip to
      Syria.

      "This visit is inserted in the context of contacts that the Church of
      Antioch has been engaged in for a long time with the Catholic
      world," the patriarch said.

      "The Pope's visit to Syria, in addition to highlighting the Christian
      dimension of that country, also opened new horizons for the
      ecumenical dialogue," he added. "[Now is] the moment to
      examine the ideas proposed on that occasion and to verify the
      application of the decisions made over the last years, which
      culminated in the 1993 Balamand Declaration."

      --Q: Antioch occupies a very special place within Orthodoxy as
      regards the dialogue with Rome.

      --Patriarch Hazim: We believe that our first task as leaders is to
      seek dialogue with the other Churches. I think it is absurd to
      preach love if, then, we Christians don't practice it among
      ourselves. We are not at all afraid to lose "privileges." Moreover,
      no one will ever be able to deny the fact that Antioch represents
      the cradle of Christianity.

      --Q: Does direct dialogue with Rome not represent a sort of
      "bridge" as regards the local Catholic Churches?

      --Patriarch Hazim: Our dialogue with Catholics is carried out at
      various levels.

      It is unthinkable to conceive of dialogue with Catholics without
      also talking with the Vatican. However, this does not mean giving
      up dialogue at other levels.

      Eastern Catholic patriarchs always invite me to their meetings,
      and I hope to meet with Maronite Patriarch Sfeir during my stay in
      Rome. We are convinced that no Christian religious community
      can substitute for another.

      --Q: Are Arab Christians anxious over the current world crisis?

      --Patriarch Hazim: We share the fortune of our Muslim citizens. A
      Christian cannot give his blessing to violence or terrorism. We try
      to understand the reasons without justifying them. The image
      that the U.S. government projects, perhaps unconsciously, gives
      the impression that it seeks hegemony in the world.

      We hear talk about U.S. interests, but almost never about the
      United Nations. We think something must change. Peoples go
      to war because there is an arms trade and poor distribution of
      wealth.

      Then there is the problem of dictatorships, often supported by
      the West, which, even before being a world danger, terrorize their
      own people.

      Terrorism must be suppressed wherever it is found, but the way
      of acting must change. For a long time there has been talk of the
      terrorism of the Iraqi regime, and this might be true, attributing
      responsibility to a specific individual.

      However, we then see that the planes strike everything and
      everyone except that individual. We fear that the same thing will
      happen in other countries.

      --Q: What do you think of those who place Islam and Christianity
      in opposition?

      --Patriarch Hazim: It is a forcing of religion in a political sense.
      Needless to say, the West is not inspired in the Gospel in
      defining its policies. We must be able to distinguish between
      Islam and Muslim faithful, as well as between Christianity and
      Christian faithful.

      Perhaps the remedy is in mutual knowledge. Islam should not
      be something foreign to Christians and vice versa. For example,
      in my patriarchate, Muslims and Christians together form one
      nation that is not, must not be, either a church or a mosque.

      --Q: There is talk of a conflict that could last for years. Are you
      afraid that this will have negative repercussions on Eastern
      Christians, given that religious buildings have been attacked in
      some Lebanese cities?

      --Patriarch Hazim: Every prolonged conflict becomes dangerous.
      If other Muslim countries are going to be attacked, it will be easy
      to convince Muslims that it is a war against Islam.

      Instead of thinking of the Muslims who set fire to our churches,
      we think of those who ran to put it out. Violence is defeated by
      justice and love.

      VATICAN CITY, OCT 26, 2001 (VIS) - The Holy Father received
      today in
      separate audiences:

      Cardinal Juan Sandoval Iniguez, archbishop of Guadalajara,
      Mexico. His Beatitude Michel Sabbah, patriarch of Jerusalem of
      the Latins, Palestine.  - Archbishop Ambrose B. De Paoli,
      apostolic nuncio in Japan. Bishop Thomas Vose Daily of
      Brooklyn, U.S.A.; with Dr. Carl Albert Anderson, supreme knight
      of the Knights of Columbus, accompanied by his wife; and Dr.
      Virgil C. Dechant. His Beatitude Cardinal Stephanos II Ghattas,
      patriarch of Alexandria of the Copts, Egypt; His Beatitude Ignace
      Pierre VIII Abdel-Ahad, patriarch of Antioch of the Syrians,
      Lebanon; His Beatitude Gregoire III Laham, patriarch of Antioch
      of the Greek-Melkites, Syria; His Beatitude Cardinal Nasrallah
      Pierre Sfeir, patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Lebanon; His
      Beatitude Raphael I Bidawid, patriarch of Babylon of the
      Chaldeans, Iraq; His Beatitude Nerses Bedros XIX Tarmouni,
      patriarch of Cilicia of the Armenians, Lebanon.

      * * *

      NEED A MIRACLE?

      By John N. Lupia

      When a holy person of wide reputation dies and a cult forms in
      their honor a required period of five years passes to see if the
      cult remains or fades away before any diocese can begin
      investigations into their cause. In the case of Dolores
      Immaculate Gili her cult has survived more than a decade after
      her death, flourishing with hundreds of devotees from around the
      world. She is affectionately known worldwide as "Mama Gili".
      She was a pioneer in establishing the cult of the Holy Shroud of
      Turin in the United States. She helped the Benedictine
      Sylvestrine monks establish Holy Face Monastery in Clifton, New
      Jersey, as a shrine devoted to the Face of Christ from the Shroud
      of Turin. As a member of the Third Order of St. Francis of Assisi,
      she was responsible for bringing Italian Franciscan priests to
      the United States to found an Italian Mission Church called Our
      Lady of Mount Carmel, Orange, New Jersey. She sent money to
      priests and bishops around the world to aid in their missions.
      She helped support financially and spiritually several groups of
      nuns. She founded the Shrine of the Holy Face, Orange, New
      Jersey, on a large tract of land next to her own home. She was
      not rich or affluent. She did all of these things as a widow
      raising five children and working two jobs. She always spent
      time with her children and loved to play basketball with them.
      She is the miracle worker of the Archdiocese of Newark, New
      Jersey. She was especially fond of priests and helped many
      young men to enter the seminary and eventually to their
      ordination. She was visited by hundreds of priests annually who
      all loved her and asked for her help, guidance and prayers. She
      was a true spirtual mother to many thousands of people who
      traveled from all over the United States and the world to visit this
      gentle, soft-spoken woman.

      When God wishes to establish the cult of a person whom he has
      chosen many prayer requests are granted as a sign to the local
      ordinary of the diocese to approve their cult. Now is the golden
      opportunity to pray to this little saint in heaven who always did
      great things. If you are suffering physically, mentally, financially
      or in need of some special grace go to the little saint "Mama Gili"
      who will bring your prayers before the Holy Face of Jesus. If you
      have an urgent need and feel tense, desperate, sad or
      depressed then go to her and you will experience her
      miraculous intercession with Jesus, whom she perfectly adored
      throughout her life.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the
      intercession of Dolores Immaculate "Mama" Gili or for more
      information about the cause of her investigation for canonization
      to:

      Rev. Dante DiGirolamo
      (973) 412-1170

      Rev. Dante DiGirolamo
      P.O. Box 455
      Kearny, New Jersey 07032

      Volume 1, Issue 14 C
      /33

      Volume 1, No. 16
      /37

      To gain access to all of the articles on Roman Catholic News go
      to the URL:

      This will give you the archive to all of the articles. There are four
      ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel
      on the far left, and click on the word Messages just below the
      word Home; (2) click on the articles posted by date; (3) click on
      the blue arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly
      calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) type in a keyword
      in the long rectanuglar white box alongside the long rectanuglar
      button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.
      (NOTE: SEARCH ARCHIVE is available beginning in either
      November or December. Look here for future updated
      information on its availability.)

      * * *

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE
      DESK AND HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 21 of 479 Catholic
      Yahoo groups, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your
      membership as a subscriber is important to us and helps us
      grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services.
      Please spread the word that a Catholic clergy run Catholic News
      group and Reference Desk is available that keeps you informed
      on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy See, the
      Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical
      studies, and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions
      you post.
      When posting questions please place in the subject field of your
      email "Reference Desk". Emails can be sent to either
      Roman-Catholic-News-owner@yahoogroups.com, or to
      jlupia2@.... Articles written by professional and
      scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses
      above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep
      in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization
      and considers publishing articles without paying any monetary
      compensation to authors. All materials submitted and
      published are copyright protected in accordance to the latest
      ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress,
      Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us.
      Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      * * *

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL
      HEART OF MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the crucified body of your son Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the
      conversion and salvation of the world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of
      Mary, I offer you the precious blood of your son Jesus Christ, in
      reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the
      conversion and salvation of the world."

      * * *

      PLEASE SUPPORT EWTN

      Send donations to:

      Mother Angelica
      EWTN
      5817 OLD LEEDS ROAD
      IRONDALE, AL 35210

      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      * * *

      WEAR THE BROWN SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT
      CARMEL AND PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY FOR THE
      CONVERSION OF THE WHOLE WORLD AND FOR CHURCH
      UNITY

      approaches . . . unity among all Christians of the various
      confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John
      Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy
      crowded street and you'll always be safe."
      unless specified
      otherwise. All articles from VIS, Zenit and Noticias Eclesiales
      (NE) are republished by approval and courtesy of these news
      agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support
      to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit
      (http://www.zenit.org), and VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) own the original copyright for their news releases as
      credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include
      the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use