    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2003

      MONDAY 14 July 2003

      Memorial of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, virgin

      • On Christ as the Source of Hope for Europe
      • Holy See Thanks Israel for Halting Nazareth Mosque
      • A Pole Recalls John Paul II's Early Call for a United Europe
      • Venezuelan Archbishop Chides Chávez's Supporters
      • No Peace in Northern Uganda, Archbishop Reminds Bush
      • Denver's Pioneer Center for Hispanic Catholics

      * * *

      On Christ as the Source of Hope for Europe

      John Paul II's Address at Castel Gandolfo

      CASTEL GANDOLFO, Italy, JULY 13, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address John Paul II delivered today before praying the midday Angelus with pilgrims gathered in the courtyard of the papal summer residence.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. At this historic moment, in which an important process is under way for the reunification of Europe, through the enlargement of the European Union to other countries, the Church observes this continent with a look full of love. Along with many lights, some darkness is not lacking. A certain loss of Christian memory is accompanied by a certain fear to face the future; a widespread fragmentation of life is often joined to the spread of individualism and a growing weakening of interpersonal solidarity. We are witnessing a certain loss of hope, at the root of which is an attempt to make an anthropology prevail without God and without Christ. Paradoxically, the cradle of human rights risks the disappearance of its foundation eroded by relativism and utilitarianism.

      2. In the postsynodal apostolic exhortation "Ecclesia in Europa," which I promulgated June 28, I wished to take up again these topics of urgent importance, debated at length in the course of the synodal assembly of October 1999. "Jesus Christ, Alive in His Church, the Source of Hope for Europe" is the proclamation that believers incessantly renew, aware of the enormous possibilities that the present moment offers but, at the same time, aware of the "grave uncertainties at the levels of culture, anthropology, ethics and spirituality" (No. 3).

      "European culture gives the impression of 'silent apostasy' on the part of people who have all that they need and who live as if God does not exist" (No. 9). Hence, the greatest urgency Europe is facing "in both East and West, is a growing need of hope, a hope which will enable us to give meaning to life and history and to continue on our way together" (No. 4).

      3. However, how can such a profound yearning for hope be satisfied? It is necessary to return to Christ and to start afresh from him. In the exhortation I wrote that the Church can offer Europe the most precious good that no one else can give: namely, faith in Jesus Christ, "source of hope that does not disappoint" (No. 18).

      May Mary, dawn of a new world, watch over the Church in Europe and make it ready to proclaim, celebrate and serve the Gospel of hope.

      At the end of the Angelus, when greeting pilgrims in different languages, the Holy Father said the following in English:

      I greet all the English-speaking pilgrims and visitors present at today's Angelus. May your time here at Castel Gandolfo and in Rome be filled with joy and deepen your love of the universal Church. Upon you all, I invoke the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ. May God bless you all!

      * * *

      Holy See Thanks Israel for Halting Nazareth Mosque

      JERUSALEM, JULY 13, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See thanked the Israeli government for putting a stop to the construction of a mosque next to the Basilica of the Annunciation, in Nazareth.

      The Jerusalem Post reported that Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano expressed the Holy See's gratitude last Thursday, when he met in Rome with Israeli Foreign Affairs Minister Silvan Shalom. The Vatican's official statement on the meeting made no mention of the issue.

      The Holy See, various Christian communities, and even key Muslim and Arab leaders, among them Yasser Arafat, opposed the construction of the mosque, whose cornerstone was laid on public land in November 1999.

      According to Franciscan sources, the mosque was meant to appease fundamentalists who in previous years had attacked Christians. The local Muslim community already has its own places of worship in the area.

      On April 4, 1999, while Catholics were celebrating Easter and Orthodox were marking Palm Sunday in the basilica, Muslim fundamentalists attacked and wounded a number of Christians. In 1998, fundamentalists destroyed some Christian-owned stores.

      * * *

      A Pole Recalls John Paul II's Early Call for a United Europe

      Lublin Archbishop Warns of Forgetting Continent's Christian Roots

      ROME, JULY 13, 2003 (ZENIT.org-Avvenire).- Omitting references to Christianity when discussing Europe's roots would amount to censuring history, says a Polish archbishop.

      In an interview, Archbishop Jozef Miroslaw Zycinski of Lublin commented on the apostolic exhortation "Ecclesia in Europa" (The Church in Europe), which he helped to present to the press last month at the Vatican. The papal document brought together the conclusions of the 1999 Synod of Bishops for Europe.

      Q: How does "Ecclesia in Europa" fit in to the Old World's present situation?

      Archbishop Zycinski: From my point of view, this prospect of European unification is something fantastic, a reality that is more beautiful than a dream. When in 1979 in Gniezno, the Holy Father said that Europe should unite, that that was its future, he was criticized by many, including in the West, as they said that this vision of a united Europe, of the whole of Europe -- East and West -- was no more than an expression of the Pope's Polish "messianism."

      For us, who were living in a totalitarian system, in which expression of the faith took place with the suffering of its witnesses, the prospect of a united European family, of a "home" of the united European family in virtues of its roots, was something far more optimistic than we could then imagine. Twenty-four years later we discovered that in that prospect there was no messianism, but only truth.

      Q: And yet, in the document the Pope underlines that it seems that recognition of the Christian roots of that European home is rejected. Why is it important to insist so much that it be explicitly recognized?

      Archbishop Zycinski: Because it is not possible to understand the Europe of today by omitting its roots, which are Christian roots. Elimination of this reference would be like censuring history.

      In Poland, and in the whole Soviet bloc we suffer this Orwellian censure of history. And I think that in the new Europe, there must be a possibility to live in the truth, without censure.

      Q: Who is so bothered by the history of Europe to the point of wanting to censure it?

      Archbishop Zycinski: The history of Europe is that of the East and West. Perhaps it isn't so much an intellectual problem as a diplomatic one. I am referring to what is "politically correct," which becomes something more important than truth. So we find ourselves in this situation of censure. For us, in Eastern Europe, truth is more important, because we have suffered much, too much.

      * * *

      Venezuelan Archbishop Chides Chávez's Supporters

      CARACAS, Venezuela, JULY 13, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A bishop defended the Church for speaking out regarding the nation's crisis and accused supporters of President Hugo Chávez of plotting to create divisions within the Church and discredit its leaders.

      Church leaders "cannot be spectators'' in Venezuela's political crisis, Archbishop Baltazar Porras Cardozo told the conference's annual assembly on Thursday, according to the Associated Press.

      The archbishop said Chávez allies were trying to portray "bishops, priests and laypersons as people without morals, (as) thieves'' to alienate the faithful from leaders and provoke "a crisis in the Church,'' according to AP.

      Last Monday, police fired tear gas and shotgun pellets to disperse Chávez supporters, who threw stones and firecrackers at the cathedral in Caracas, where the faithful were mourning the death of Cardinal Ignacio Antonio Velasco García, Reuters reported. The 74-year-old archbishop of Caracas had died of cancer.

      * * *

      No Peace in Northern Uganda, Archbishop Reminds Bush

      Urges U.S. Leader to Press for U.N. Action

      GULU, Uganda, JULY 13, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Archbishop John Baptist Odama of Gulu sent a letter to U.S. President George W. Bush in an effort to get U.N. involvement in the crisis in northern Uganda.

      "The president of the United States must know that Uganda is not a nation reigned by peace," Archbishop Odama explained to Misna, when commenting on the content of his appeal. "The north is torn by violence and fighting, so George W. Bush's agenda should not only include issues such as AIDS and the fight against terrorism."

      At the conclusion of Bush's five-nation African tour, in Nigeria, the archbishop appealed to the president, saying: "We ask you, Mr. President, to intervene so the United Nations Security Council addresses a forgotten tragedy such as that of north Uganda, or that you directly ask the sides to engage in dialogue as in the case of Sudan."

      The archbishop noted that the north has been devastated for 18 years by the violence of the rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), which has been fighting government troops. Since the late 1980s the conflict has deteriorated into a genocide of the Nilotic populations in the districts of Gulu, Kitgum, Pader, Apac and Lira, according to the prelate.

      More than 20,000 children have been abducted, and 850,000 people turned into refugees, in a region of 1.4 million targeted by the LRA. The U.S. State Department recently put the LRA on a blacklist of terrorist organizations.

      "We would like to turn your attention to this conflict Mr. Bush," said Archbishop Odama. His open letter was published Saturday by Ugandan's two main newspapers.

      The letter concluded: "We ask the administration and the people of the United States to pressure the Sudanese government to stop providing arms to the LRA, to protect the children from abductions, to support efforts for a peaceful solution to the crisis, and to convince the U.N. and international public opinion that the Ugandan situation is in need of an urgent solution."

      * * *

      In the third section of Chapter 4 “Inner Noise”, Fr. Casey outlines six categories of interior noise that affect readers in a distracting way from succeeding in silent lectio divina.

      First, are the “residual echoes” of the noise we have been subjected to before undertaking our lectio divina. Some engage in willful noise as though driven by an incessant and insatiable need for noise of all sorts. Many have to have the sound of a radio, TV, tape or CD. Those who live in large cities are well aware of “noise pollution” and the means individuals take to “create a cocoon of personal space that we find comforting.” (94). Two suggestions Fr. Casey gives to the noise congestion in our lives are: (a) attempt to create a less abrasive daily environment with a lower noise level; (b) prior to attempting lectio divina take a space of time to be silent and allow your body and mind to calm down. Taking practical steps to deaden the noise in our minds will contribute to a more satisfying time in lectio divina.

      Second, is the interior mental state of acedia. The inner restlessness that detracts from our ability to focus on one thing and cause us to move on to another can be the result of various causes. Taking control over whimsical and flighty thoughts and behavior by settling down to a specific task and sticking to it will allow us to overcome this misdirected behavior.

      Third, are the mental distractions that result from preoccupations with external projects. Luke’s Gospel provides the classic example of Martha busy with concerns and activities contrasted to her sister Mary who focuses on the Lord and his words. (Luke 10:38-42). The mind is quick to remind us of things we need to do or forgot to do as soon as we sit down in silence. A practical solution is to keep a small notebook to jot down the agenda to do later rather than jumping up to perform the task and consume away the time allocated for lectio divina.

      Fourth, are the inner voices of our divided heart. The conflicts that exist between what the Gospels say and what we do deafen our minds to the word of God. Compromising lives are quickly bored with lectio divina. However, undertaking the task to regularly read the Bible may elevate our awareness for the need to change. Calling out to God seeking his aid brings peace and serenity, clarity of mind and purpose, and sensitivity to the soft whisperings of God’s sweet voice.

      Fifth, is the noise of social disharmony and alienation from the Church. If the criteria for entry into the Church were as high as some would demand they would be excluded from membership. The critics of the Church feel marginalized and have developed bitterness and resentment. “Any attempt at meditation or reading often leads to a rehearsal of their private log of grievances. The Scriptures speak to them only of the inadequacies of others, reinforcing their sense of victimhood and inspiring in them an eloquence to denounce that does not come from God. . . .Patience and tolerance are needed if we are to survive in the Church” (98).

      Sixth, are the unconscious voices of our inner psychomachia. There is a natural conflict within our fallen humanity that resists doing what is right and stems from our unhealed rebelliousness that has not “radically submitted our will to God.” From this we find ourselves making poor choices that do not support us on the path of peace with God. Our inner conflict emerge in disquieting noise and distracting thought allowing our minds to wander during lectio divina. We find ourselves reading but not knowing or recalling what we have just read. A practical solution is to go back and slowly and carefully reread so that we adjust the focus on God rather than ourselves.

      Michael Casey, OCSO, Sacred Reading. The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina. (Liguori, MO : Liguori/Triumph, 1996). 151 p.; ISBN : 0-89243-891-6. Michael Casey is a Cistercian monk, prior and vocation director of Our Lady of Tarrawarra Abbey, Yarra Glen, Victoria 3775, Australia. Phone: (03) 9730 1306 Fax: (03) 9730 1749

      * * *

      Denver's Pioneer Center for Hispanic Catholics

      "Full-Service" Facility Hailed by U.S. Bishops' Aide

      DENVER, Colorado, JULY 13, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Denver Archdiocese's new center for Hispanic ministry will be a model for similar facilities nationwide, says a U.S. bishops' conference official.

      "I believe 'Centro San Juan Diego' is unique in that it's a full-service culture center with a very direct connection with the Church," said Alejandro Aguilera-Titus, associate director for Hispanic affairs, in statements published Saturday by the Rocky Mountain News.

      The $3 million center will offer an array of spiritual and social services to the archdiocese's fastest-growing group.

      In a column in the Denver Catholic Register, Archbishop Charles Chaput explained: "The Centro will provide religious education, family life assistance and other vital services to Hispanic Catholics."

      "Over the last 25 years, Hispanics have grown tremendously as a percentage of the U.S. population, especially in states like Colorado," he wrote. "This is very good news for the Church, because Hispanic Catholics bring with them deep traditions of family and faith. They're a vital part of our future and a source of renewal for the whole Catholic community.

      "But this good news also creates challenges. New arrivals need help and a place to feel safe and welcome, and if they don't find these things in the Catholic Church, other religious groups will very happily oblige. More than 60,000 Hispanic Catholics leave the Church every year for sects and Protestant churches nationwide. This is a tragedy, and there's no one to blame but ourselves.

      "It also reminds us that Hispanic Catholics have lived in Colorado for 400 years, and the many thousands who have remained faithful to the Church down through the generations are all the more admirable because, too often in the past, they were pushed to the margins."

      Earlier, the Denver Catholic Register said the institute would help low-income Hispanics by providing both direct services and referrals to family resources and it would train catechetical and ministerial leaders for parishes. The institute also would serve as a retreat and conference center.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      The Benedictine monks of Abbaye Saint-Joseph de Clairval mail a free monthly newsletter to anyone who requests it. Also free of charge are: the tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Email: <englishspoken@...> or <stjoseph.flavigny@...>

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      * * *

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      * * *

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News>, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit , Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Informat=ion Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: