    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003

      TUESDAY 1 July 2003

      • John Paul II Renews His Commitment for Christian Unity
      • Christians Must Cooperate to Revive European Roots, Says John Paul II
      • Befriend Those Whom God Has Entrusted to You, Pope Exhorts Archbishops
      • Euro Text Has Good Points, But Also Gaps, Says Vatican Official
      • 30 Years of Vatican Speeches, in One Book
      • Two Centuries of Holy See Concordats Published in One Volume
      • Seafarers' Charity Relaunched by Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor
      • Conference to Touch on Peace in Asia and Mideast
      • Hospitality House for the Disabled Opens in Rome

      * * *

      John Paul II Renews His Commitment for Christian Unity

      During Mass on Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul

      VATICAN CITY, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II renewed his commitment to Christian unity, in the presence of an Orthodox Church delegation and at a Mass on the solemnity of the patrons of Rome.

      John Paul II said Sunday that the "joy of today's feast is more intense because of the presence of the delegation sent by His Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I." The patriarch is considered "first among equals" by the Orthodox.

      The delegation, from the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, was headed by Greek Orthodox Archbishop Demetrios of America.

      It was making what has become a traditional visit to Rome for the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul, patrons of the city. A Vatican delegation reciprocates with a visit in November to Constantinople -- modern Istanbul, Turkey -- on the feast of St. Andrew, patron of that Orthodox patriarchate.

      The Pope called the exchange of visits an "eloquent sign of our commitment oriented to attaining full unity."

      The Preface of the celebration -- "With different gifts they edified the one Church" -- referring to the Apostles Peter and Paul, "seems to make evident, precisely, the commitment to seek unity with all effort, responding to the invitation so often repeated by Jesus in the Cenacle: 'ut unum sint!' -- 'that they be one!'" John Paul II said.

      "As Bishop of Rome and Successor of Peter, I renew today, in the evocative context of this feast, my complete willingness to put my person at the service of communion among all the disciples of Christ," the Holy Father affirmed.

      "The Lord, who knows our weaknesses and hesitations, promises his help to overcome the obstacles that impede the concelebration of the one Eucharist," he added.

      At the end of the Mass, Orthodox Archbishop Demetrios congratulated John Paul II on his 25-year pontificate, a mystery characterized by "a constant effort to promote peace in the name of God, reconciliation among peoples" and "the surmounting of the tragic separation and division of our Churches."

      "Considerable steps have been taken toward unity," he added, "and we pray that there will be more, so that our broken and fallen world will have an even greater testimony of the possibility of reconciliation, contemplating the beautiful and strong bonds of love that unite us in faith and in service of Jesus Christ."

      * * *

      Christians Must Cooperate to Revive European Roots, Says John Paul II

      When Receiving a Delegation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

      VATICAN CITY, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II told a delegation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople that the followers of Christ in Europe must give new life to the spiritual roots of the continent.

      The Pope received the delegation during its traditional visit for the solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul. For its part, the Holy See sends a delegation to the Orthodox patriarchate on Nov. 30, feast of its patron, St. Andrew.

      The Holy Father expressed his gratitude to Patriarch Bartholomew I, considered "first among equals" in the Orthodox world, for his good wishes for the 25th year of his pontificate.

      "Your presence is a sign of our common love for Christ and an act of ecclesial fraternity, with which we reaffirm the legacy of love and unity that the Lord left to his Church, built on the apostles," the Pope told the delegation on Saturday.

      "The rapid changes of today's world call all Christians to demonstrate how the Gospel of Jesus Christ illuminates the critical issues which the human family is facing," he said.

      Among those issues, he said, are the urgent need to promote interreligious dialogue, the protection of creation, and the new challenges posed by the advances of science and technology.

      Also, the consolidation of European unity and identity is a topic that calls Christians, as witness of the mercy of God, "to play a specific role in the current process of integration and reconciliation," the Pope said, as reported by the Vatican Information Service.

      "While we attempt to go forward in the dialogue of truth and the dialogue of charity, let us not be discouraged by the difficulties we encounter," John Paul II said. "There is always a way if we are determined to do the will of God for the unity of his disciples."

      * * *

      Befriend Those Whom God Has Entrusted to You, Pope Exhorts Archbishops

      Confers Pallium on 40 Prelates

      VATICAN CITY, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- When conferring the pallium on 40 metropolitan archbishops from around the world, John Paul II exhorted them to watch over their respective communities in imitation of the Good Shepherd.

      During a Mass on Sunday evening in St. Peter's Square, the Pope referred to Sts. Peter and Paul -- whose solemnity the Church celebrated that day -- as "friends of the Lord," for whom they gave their life in Rome, "making the Church fruitful with their blood."

      "Peter and Paul are 'friends of the Lord,' a singular title because they drank the Lord's chalice. For both, Jesus changed their names the moment he called them to his service," he said.

      "If we think of the vocation and personal history of the two apostles, we see how the apostolic and missionary charge was proportioned to the depth of their conversion. Tested by the bitter experience of human misery, they were delivered by the Lord," the Pope said during his homily.

      "Thanks to the humiliation of the denial and the weeping that purified him interiorly, Simon became Peter, namely, the rock. Consolidated by the power of the Spirit, three times he declared his love to Jesus, receiving the mandate to look after the flock," he said.

      "Saul's experience was similar," the Pope said. "The Lord whom he persecuted called him through his grace on the road to Damascus. He freed him from his prejudices, transforming him radically and made him a chosen instrument to take his name to the Gentiles."

      "In this way, both became friends of the Lord," the Holy Father told the metropolitan archbishops, adding that the "personal circumstances of each one are different, but you have all been counted by Christ among his friends."

      "In the name of the Lord -- I invite you -- become on your part 'friends' of all those God has entrusted to you. Your episcopal sees are in different areas of the world: In imitation of the Good Shepherd, watch and be diligent with everyone in your community," he added.

      Henceforth, the 40 metropolitan archbishops will wear the pallium during solemn celebrations as a sign of communion with the Apostolic See. "I invite you to consider it always in remembrance of the sublime friendship with Christ, which we have the honor and joy to share," the Holy Father concluded.

      * * *

      Euro Text Has Good Points, But Also Gaps, Says Vatican Official

      Archbishop Tauran Comments on Draft of Constitution

      VATICAN CITY, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The draft of the European Constitution still has gaps regarding the fundamental rights of the Nice Charter, on issues such as cloning, marriage and the family, says a Vatican official.

      Archbishop Jean-Louis Tauran, Vatican secretary for relations with states, acknowledges that the draft brings together numerous opinions and common values resulting from the dialogue with various sectors of civil society. A recent summit of European leaders in Salonika, Greece, studied the draft of the Constitution, presented by the European Convention president Valéry Giscard d'Estaing.

      Reflecting on the text, Archbishop Tauran emphasized the importance of Article 2, which is concerned with respect for the human person. But he told Vatican Radio that there are still shortcomings regarding bioethical and family-related issues.

      "Nevertheless, it is positive that for the first time in the history of European treaties an article was introduced which was proposed by all European Christians in virtue of the principle of subsidiarity," he added.

      "In fact, the Union commits itself to respect the statute enjoyed by religious confessions according to the national legislation of member states," the archbishop said.

      Likewise, there is a commitment to maintain a constant dialogue with the religious confessions "thus recognizing their identity and their specific contribution to the public dialogue of European society," Archbishop Tauran noted.

      "Although maintaining certain concerns regarding, for example, the Christian patrimony, it is a positive construction which certainly marks a new chapter in the history of Europe," he said.

      * * *

      30 Years of Vatican Speeches, in One Book

      "Words That Matter" Unveiled

      VATICAN CITY, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A new book compiles 30 years of speeches delivered by Vatican representatives to international organizations.

      "Words that Matter," present today by the Vatican press office, is edited by Archbishop André Dupuy, apostolic nuncio in Venezuela. It is a collection of addresses delivered by Vatican representatives before international organizations and during international conferences and meetings over the period 1970-2000.

      "I hope that scholars, diplomats and leaders of society will be inspired by this rich 'corpus' in seeking reasonable, peaceful, equitable and impartial solutions, capable of promoting the solution of conflicts and of excluding force from international life," the Vatican secretary for relations with states, Archbishop Jean-Louis Tauran, said during the presentation of the book.

      He expressed the hope that the volume might clarify "the fundamental reason for the presence of the Holy See in the community of nations: to be the voice that human conscience expects."

      In its close to 800 pages, "Words that Matter" addresses topics that range from the "right to religious liberty, to social development, the right to peace, the right to life, the rights of women, children and refugees," explained Archbishop Renato Martino, president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace.

      Referring to the title of the book, Archbishop Martino said that it does not reflect vainglory "but only the humble awareness of always being at the service of man, illuminating the historical circumstances with supernatural light, in keeping with the specific religious and moral competence proper to all ecclesial activity."

      For his part, the editor of the handbook, Archbishop Dupuy, said that it is "an instrument of work for experts in international law, a consultation text for diplomats and for those who wish to know better the position of the Holy See on determined international issues."

      The book includes a total of 1,310 documents. "The addresses delivered by the Holy Father, in the context of bilateral and multilateral diplomacy, will be compiled in another publication," Archbishop Dupuy said.

      The CD that accompanies the publication includes the complete text of the majority of addresses quoted in the sources, given that for some of them, only a résumé exists.

      * * *

      Two Centuries of Holy See Concordats Published in One Volume

      Cardinal Sodano Hails the Handbook

      ROME, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- For the first time since 1919, a handbook gives a view of all the concordats stipulated by the Holy See with states, from Pius VII with Napoleon Bonaparte to John Paul II with the Czech Republic.

      The most important novelty of the "Enchiridion dei Concordati: Due Secoli di Storia dei Rapporti Chiesa-Stato" (Enchiridion of Concordats. Two Centuries of History in Church-State Relations) is the publication of the most recent texts of the Holy See with Central and Eastern European States, which were "reborn to freedom" after 1990, according to the prologue written by Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano.

      Expressing his satisfaction with the initiative, the cardinal said he hopes "this new work will contribute to make better known the Holy See's commitment to the promotion of new avenues of cooperation with civil authorities, thus giving to Caesar what is Caesar's, and asking Caesar to give to God what is God's."

      The handbook, published by Dehonian Publishers of Bologna, Italy, offers chronologically all the Holy See's agreements with states over the past two centuries. The concordats are presented in their original language, together with their translation into Italian. Modifications to the originals are included.

      A concordat, an agreement between civil and ecclesiastical authorities on matters of mutual concern, is a genuine international contract, which binds the parties juridically and guarantees the right of religious liberty and worship of Catholics in various countries.

      The Holy See maintains diplomatic relations with 174 states, as well as with the European Union, and the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. It maintains relations of a special nature with the Russian Federation and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

      According to the introduction of the "Enchiridion of Concordats," all these international pacts are a "testimony of international recognition of the moral, cultural, social and religious role that the Catholic Church plays in the world."

      The numerous concordats signed by John Paul II "demonstrate that our time is experiencing a fruitful period of relations between the Church and states," the compilers add.

      * * *

      Seafarers' Charity Relaunched by Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor

      Outreach Agency Began in 1922

      LONDON, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The maritime industry celebrated the relaunch of the 81-year-old Catholic seafarers' charity Apostleship of the Sea (AOS) by Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor.

      Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor, president of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, said: "This mission is extraordinarily important but often forgotten. I am very conscious that those who work on our ships are among the poorest people and are separated from their families. They deserve all the support, hospitality and care we can give them. So I rejoice at this initiative and its ecumenical nature."

      Bishop Tom Burns, bishop of the armed forces and promoter of AOS, said: "The spiritual depth of seafarers is inseparable from their effectiveness in the workplace. Today marks a significant event in the life of seafarers throughout the world. AOS has been off the radar for a while but -- like a ship that has come out of a refit -- it is ready to be relaunched."

      Commodore Chris York, national director of AOS, unveiled a new model of ministry to seafarers. "AOS now has a three-stranded model of ministry which takes account of the needs of seafarers both at sea and in port," he said. "Our main aim is to bring the Church alongside those who work in such isolated conditions.

      "We have ship visiting to make contact with crews when they come into the ports. We are running ecumenical drop-in centers for seafarers inside the ports, with facilities such as telephones and e-mail terminals, and we have seagoing chaplaincy -- placing trained chaplains with crews for two to three weeks at a time, working alongside them with a ministry of presence. They will be the life and light of Christ on board the ship."

      The relaunch took place last Wednesday at the Lloyds building in London.

      Apostleship of the Sea is an agency of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. AOS was founded in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1922 and has since spread to 89 countries. It is both a mission and welfare outreach of the Church, providing help to all seafarers regardless of race, creed or nationality.

      * * *

      Conference to Touch on Peace in Asia and Mideast

      MANILA, Philippines, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A forthcoming Christian-Muslim conference here will tackle the issue of peace, from the Mideast to Southeast Asia.

      The 21st General Assembly of the Bishops-Ulema Conference, which will take place on Aug. 18-20, will focus on the fallout of the Sept. 11 attacks, in the 12 nations of Southeast Asia. It will also focus on how to smooth the way for the "road map" for peace in the Middle East.

      Convoked under the title "Seeking Peace and Development Through an Authentic Christian and Muslim Dialogue of Life in Asia," 30 ulema (Muslim scholars or religious leaders), 30 Catholic bishops and 30 Protestant bishops will attend the meeting in Olongapo, north of the Philippine capital.

      Started in 1996 at the initiative of Archbishop Fernando Cavalla of Davao, and of Mahid Mutilan, president of the Philippine Ulema League, the objective of the Bishops-Ulema Conference is to "explore the spiritual foundations of peace, starting from the religious traditions of Muslims and Christians."

      According to the Misna missionary agency, two envoys of the Vatican are expected to attend: Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and Archbishop Michael Fitzgerald, president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue.

      * * *

      The third sense of Sacred Scripture is the behavioral sense (moral or tropical sense). This involves the impact lectio divina has on our personal behavior. The impact depends on our openness to the Word of God by our conscience. Our reading should bring us to self-examination. This reflection or introspection should be an honest assessment to see if we are living the Gospel by “facta non verba” (deeds, not words).

      Finally, the mystical sense (anagogical sense) is the raising of our heart to God in sincere honest prayer of affection. The ancient formulary or definition of prayer is the raising of our minds and hearts to God. Lectio divina brings us to analyzing the various senses of Scripture. The first two: the literal and the Christological senses involve raising our minds; the last two: the behavioral and mystical senses involve raising our hearts. The mystical sense brings us to desire God and the kingdom more than anything else.

      We pass through all four senses of Scripture in our lectio divina if we do it well. We give focused attention to the literal sense to grasp what the author intends to tell us. We then place the text within the complete framework of God’s plan of salvation that reveal Christ. The moral message is then taken to heart and we appeal to Christ for grace, forgiveness and healing. This leads us to our mystical experience adoring Christ and becoming filled with his transforming light and love.

      Lectio divina is a process of assimilating the four senses of Scripture that lead us a sober understanding of the Scriptures keeping us humble and honest and bring us closer to Christ by elevating our hearts to him.

      Michael Casey, Sacred Reading. The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina. (Liguori, MO : Liguori/Triumph, 1996). 151 p.; ISBN : 0-89243-891-6. Michael Casey is a Cistercian monk and prior of Tarrawarra Abbey, Victoria, Australia.

      * * *

      Hospitality House for the Disabled Opens in Rome

      Projected Subsidized by John Paul II

      ROME, JUNE 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Cardinal Angelo Sodano inaugurated on behalf of the Pope the "John Paul II-Don Orione Work Hospitality House," which offers accommodation for disabled pilgrims who travel to Rome.

      It was renovated with donations collected during the Great Jubilee of the Year 2000.

      The Don Orione Work explained that the Holy Father created a Vatican fund to cover the administrative costs of disabled pilgrims who stay in the Hospitality House.

      Father (or Don) Orione used to say: "'One is never mistaken in doing good'; therefore, we have the certainty that a charitable work in remembrance of the Great Jubilee is a good idea," Cardinal Sodano said when inaugurating the premises on Sunday.

      The Vatican secretary of state noted that the inauguration was taking place on the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul, patrons of Rome. "From heaven they will intercede for us all and help us follow this charitable way," he added.

      The center, located on Via della Camilluccia, has been renovated and enlarged. It has 155 beds in streamlined rooms with special bathrooms for the handicapped.

      "What is new and beautiful is that there are places available for the disabled who come to Rome from dioceses around the world. They will be accommodated for free here, subsidized by the Holy Father," the director general of the Little Work of Divine Providence, Father Roberto Simionato, explained on Vatican Radio. Don Orione founded the Little Work congregation.

      "It is a great honor for us to be able to be charitable on behalf of the Pope," he said. "It coincides with our charism. When he began the Work, Don Orione wanted charitable works to be a bridge between the people and the Pope, the people and the Church."

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the=
      Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      The Benedictine monks of Abbaye Saint-Joseph de Clairval mail a free monthly newsletter to anyone who requests it. Also free of charge are: the tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Email: <englishspoken@...> or <stjoseph.flavigny@...>

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      * * *

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      * * *

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News>, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit , Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: