    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2003

      THURSDAY 15 MAY 2003

      Feast of St. Isidore the Farmer

      • Meditation on Book of Daniel 3:26-41
      • Pope To Canonize Polish Bishop Jozef Pelczar on Sunday
      • John Paul II Appoints New Auxiliary Bishop of Toronto
      • OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS
      • AUDIENCES
      • Search Is on in Uganda for 44 Abducted Seminarians
      • U.S. Directory for Permanent Deacons' Ministry Set for June
      • BISHOPS FROM EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA TRAVEL TO COLOMBIA
      • DEVELOPMENT CALLS FOR SOLIDARITY, HARMONY AND JUSTICE
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      Meditation on Book of Daniel 3:26-41

      Reflects on Canticle of Azariah in the Furnace

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 14, 2003 (Zenit.org).-
      Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave at today's Wednesday Audience, dedicated to the Book of Daniel.

      1. The Canticle which was just proclaimed belongs to the Greek text of the Book of Daniel and is presented as a supplication raised to the Lord with ardor and sincerity. It is the voice of Israel which is experiencing the harsh trial of exile and of diaspora among peoples. The one who intones the Canticle is, in fact, a Hebrew, Azariah, in the context of the Babylonian horizon, at the time of Israel's exile, after the destruction of Jerusalem by King Nebuchadnezzar.

      Azariah, with two other Hebrew faithful, is "in the midst of the furnace" (see Daniel 3:25), as a martyr ready to face death so as not to betray his conscience and his faith. He was condemned to death for refusing to adore the imperial statue.

      2. In this Canticle, the persecution is considered as a just punishment with which God purifies the sinful people: "for in truth and justice thou hast brought all this upon us because of our sins" (see verse 5). Thus we are before a penitential prayer, which does not end in discouragement or fear, but in hope.

      Certainly, the point of departure is bitter, the desolation is acute, the trial is harsh, the divine judgment on the sin of the people is severe: "And at this time there is no prince, or prophet, or leader, no burnt offering, or sacrifice, or oblation, or incense, no place to make an offering before thee or to find mercy" (see verse 15). The temple of Sion has been destroyed, and the Lord seems no longer to dwell in the midst of his people.

      3. In the present tragic situation, hope seeks its roots in the past, namely, in the promises made to the fathers. It harks back, therefore, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (see verse 12), to whom God had assured blessings and fruitfulness, earth and greatness, life and peace. God is faithful and will not retract his promises. Although justice demands that Israel be punished for its faults, the certainty remains that the last word will be that of mercy and forgiveness. The prophet Ezekiel had already referred to these words of the Lord: "Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, and not rather that he would turn from his way and live? ... For I have no pleasure in the death of any one" (see Ezekiel 18:23-32). Certainly, now is the time of humiliation: "For we have become fewer than any nation, and are brought low this day in all the world because of our sins" (see Daniel 3:37). And yet the expectation is not that of death, but of a new life, after the purification.

      4. The man of prayer approaches the Lord, offering him the most precious and acceptable gift: a "contrite heart" and a "humble spirit" (see verse 16; see Psalm 50[51]:19). It is, precisely, the center of existence, the "I" renewed by trial that is offered to God, so that he will receive it as a sign of conversion and consecration to the good.

      With this interior disposition, fear ceases, confusion and shame are overcome (see Daniel 3:40), and the spirit opens to confidence in a better future, when the promises made to the fathers will be fulfilled.

      The final phrase of Azariah's supplication, as it is proposed by the liturgy, is of strong emotional impact and profound spiritual intensity: "And now with all our heart we follow thee, we fear thee and seek thy face" (see verse 18). It echoes another Psalm: "Of you my heart has said: 'Seek his face'; your face, Lord, I seek" (see Psalm 26[27]:8).

      Now the moment has arrived in which we abandon the perverse ways of evil, the crooked paths and the devious ways (see Proverbs 2:15). We begin to follow the Lord, moved by the desire to see his face. And his face is not angry, but full of love, as the merciful father was revealed in his meeting with the prodigal son (see Luke 15:11-32).

      5. We conclude our reflection on the Canticle of Azariah with the prayer written by St. Maximus the Confessor in his Ascetic Discourse (see verses 37-39), where he begins precisely with the text of the prophet Daniel. "In your name, Lord, do not abandon us forever, do not break your covenant and do not take away your mercy from us (see Daniel 3:34-35), in your pity, O our Father who art in heaven, in the compassion of your only-begotten Son and in the mercy of your Holy Spirit ... Do not neglect our supplication, O Lord, and do not abandon us forever.

      We do not put our trust in our works of justice, but in your mercy, through which you preserve our race ... Do not detest our indignity, but have compassion for us according to your great mercy, and according to the fullness of your mercy cancel our sins, so that without condemnation we may approach the presence of your holy glory and be considered worthy of the protection of your only-begotten Son."

      St. Maximus concludes: Yes, O Lord omnipotent Master, hear our supplication, as we do not recognize any other besides you" (see Humanity and Divinity of Christ, Rome, 1979, pp. 51-52).

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      [At the end of the Audience, the Holy Father gave this summary in English:]

      Dear Brothers and Sisters,

      In the Canticle we have just heard from the Book of Daniel, Azariah raises a fervent prayer of supplication to God. Jerusalem has fallen, the Israelites are in exile, and Azariah himself faces death because of his refusal to betray his beliefs. Despite these overwhelming difficulties, Azariah does not lose faith and turns to the Lord with a contrite heart and a humble spirit.

      We, too, are invited to approach God with a contrite heart and a humble spirit, never losing faith. Not only does this free us from fear, confusion, and shame, but it also fills us with the consuming desire to see the Lord s face, a face radiant with love and compassion for his people.

      I am pleased to extend special greetings to the participants in the NATO Defense College and to the English-speaking visitors present at today s Audience, particularly those from England, Wales, Australia, Canada, and the United States of America. Upon all of you I invoke the grace and peace of the Risen Savior.

      * * *

      Pope To Canonize Polish Bishop Jozef Pelczar on Sunday

      Founder of Congregation of Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 14, 2003 (Zenit.org).- On Sunday, John Paul II will canonize four blesseds in St. Peter's Square, including Polish Bishop Jozef Sebastian Pelczar, a renowned intellectual and tireless worker for the good of souls.

      Bishop Pelczar was born on January 17, 1842 in the little town of Korczyna, near Krosno, Southeast Poland.

      He was ordained a priest on July 17, 1864. He studied in Rome at the Roman College, now the Pontifical Gregorian University, and at the St. Apollinaire Institute, presently the Pontifical Lateran University.

      Upon returning to his homeland, he worked as a professor at the seminary of Przemysl and later, for 22 years at Krakow's Jagiellonian University.

      As professor and dean of the faculty of theology, he enjoyed a learned reputation, and was regarded as a good organizer and friend of young people. In recognition of his values, he was conferred the title of Rector of Krakow's "Almae Matris."

      Wishing to fulfill the ideal of "priest and Pole, who works with dedication for his people," Father Pelczar did not limit his activity to the field of science, but also to social and charitable work. He was an active member of the St. Vincent de Paul Association and of the Popular Education Association, of which he was president for 16 years.

      In 1894 he founded the Congregation of the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Krakow, to proclaim the kingdom of love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and become a sign and instrument of that love to young people, the sick, and all those in need of assistance.

      Over the 25 years of his episcopal ministry in the diocese of Przemysl, he increased the number of new churches and chapels, restored many churches, and held three diocesan Synods despite the difficult political circumstances.

      To address the injustices suffered by workers, Bishop Pelczar dedicated himself resolutely to solving some of the problems of his time, such as emigration and alcoholism. In his writings, he emphasized the need to respect absolutely the social teachings of Pope Leo XIII.

      Bishop Pelczar died on the night of March 27, 1924. On June 2, 1991, during his 4th pilgrimage to Poland, John Paul II beatified the bishop at Rzeszow. His remains are in the Cathedral of Przemysl. His Memoria is observed on January 19.

      On Sunday, together with Bishop Pelczar, the Holy Father will canonize three other blesseds: Urszula Ledochowska (1865-1939), founder of the congregation of the Heart of Jesus in Agony; Maria de Mattias (1805-1866), virgin, founder of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ; Virginia Centurione Bracelli (1587-1651), lay woman, founder of the Sisters of Our Refuge on Calvary and of the religious Daughters of Our Lady on Calvary.

      * * *

      John Paul II Appoints New Auxiliary Bishop of Toronto

      Holy See Names Apostolic Administrator for Whitehorse, Canada

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 14, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Pope John Paul II has named Reverend Daniel Bohan, episcopal vicar for the Anglophone sector of the Archdiocese of Moncton, as auxiliary bishop for Toronto, Canada, and titular bishop of Migirpa.

      At the same time, the Holy See has appointed Most Reverend Denis Croteau, O.M.I., bishop of MacKenzie-Fort Smith, as apostolic administrator for the Diocese of Whitehorse.

      Bishop-elect Bohan was born November 8, 1941, in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. He studied theology at Holy Heart Seminary in Halifax, Nova Scotia and was ordained a priest on May 13, 1967 for the Archdiocese of Moncton. In 1972, he received a Master's degree in Theology from the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.

      He has served in parishes in Moncton, Port Elgin, Melrose, and Riverview, all in New Brunswick. He also taught Theology at Holy Heart Seminary and at the Atlantic School of Theology in Halifax, Nova Scotia. At the time of his nomination, he was a member of the College of Consultors and episcopal vicar for Anglophones of the Archdiocese of Moncton.

      The Archdiocese of Toronto has 398 diocesan priests, 443 religious priests, 106 permanent deacons, and 830 men and women religious, serving a Catholic population of 1,420,395 Catholics in 223 parishes and missions.

      Bishop Croteau will take on his new duties in the Diocese of Whitehorse immediately and will continue in his role as bishop of the Diocese of MacKenzie-Fort Smith. The Diocese of Whitehorse has been without a bishop since the death of Bishop Thomas Lobsinger, O.M.I., on April 15, 2000.

      The Diocese of Whitehorse has three diocesan priests, eight religious priests, two permanent deacons, 9 men and women religious, and 66 lay pastoral assistants serving a Catholic population of 8, 235 in 20 parishes and missions.

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 13, 2003 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed:

      - Msgr. Francesco Di Muzio, of the personal prelature of Opus Dei, as bureau
      chief of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.

      - Fr. Volodymyr Viytyshyn, dean of Tlumach, bursar and judicial vicar of theeparchy of Kolomyia-Chernivtsi (area, 14,095, population 1,384,500,Catholics 240,960, priests 188, religious 2) Ukraine, as coadjutor bishop of the same ecclesial circumscription. The bishop-elect was born in Demydivka,Ukraine in 1959, studied clandestinely for the priesthood and was ordained clandestinely in 1982.

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 13, 2003 (VIS) - The Holy Father today received in audience five prelates of the Syro-Malankara rite from India on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Bishop Geevarghese Divannasios Ottathengil of Battery.

      - Bishop Yoohanon Chrysostom Kalloor of Marthandom.

      - Bishop Thomas Koorilos Chakkalapadickal, eparch of Muvattapuzha.

      - Bishop Geevarghese Timotheos Chundevalel, emeritus of Tiruvalla, accompanied by Msgr. Stephen Thottathil, diocesan administrator.

      * * *

      Search Is on in Uganda for 44 Abducted Seminarians

      100 Soldiers Have Been Sent on a Mission to Rescue Them

      ROME, MAY 14, 2003 (Zenit.org).- In response to the abduction of 44 seminarians in Northern Uganda May 11, country security forces mount a rescue mission, African Catholic Agency CISA reported.

      On Sunday morning, May 11, 2003, 44 students from Lacor Minor Seminary in the northern Archdiocese of Gulu were abducted by rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA).

      Father Matua Asumi Alexis, a Comboni Missionary at the New People Media Center in Nairobi, Kenya, told CISA that by Monday evening, there was no trace of the seminarians yet.

      "The 44 seminarians had not yet returned and their fate was not known," Father Matua said, quoting Comboni sources in Gulu, 217 miles north of the capital Kampala.

      According to a BBC report, more than 100 soldiers have been sent on a mission to rescue the boys. An eight-year old boy was shot and killed during the attack, the report said.

      The abduction of the boys, aged between 12-18, came soon after a six-week cease-fire brokered by the Acholi Religious Leaders' Peace Initiative between the rebels and government collapsed.

      The LRA has been fighting the government for the past 17 years.

      "Innocent civilians, especially women and children, are largely the victims of this senseless war," said Father Matua. "The LRA, led by the now mythical Joseph Kony, are known for violating human rights. Tens of thousands of children and adults have reportedly been abducted by the LRA."

      Father Matua said that the abduction of the Lacor seminarians is, perhaps the largest student abduction since the abduction of over 200 girls from St. Mary's Girls Secondary School in Aboke, the neighboring district of Apac, in the late 1990s.

      * * *

      U.S. Directory for Permanent Deacons' Ministry Set for June

      Addresses Ministry of Nearly 14,000 Permanent Deacons

      WASHINGTON, may 14, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) will vote this June on a U.S. directory for the ministry of all the nation's permanent deacons, a USCCB statement reports.

      With nearly 14,000 U.S. deacons, "this is the most comprehensive directory offered yet," said Deacon William T. Ditewig, executive director of the Secretariat for the Diaconate at the USCCB.

      "Building upon more than 35 years of experience with the diaconate in the United States, the directory covers the entire spectrum of formation, ministry, and life of deacons," Deacon Ditewig said.

      The proposed directory, prepared by the bishops' committee on the Diaconate, treats the human, spiritual, academic, and pastoral formation of permanent deacons, who, together with bishops and priests, comprise the Church's ordained ministry.

      "The insights of the proposed directory will equip this vital and growing ministry in meeting the needs of parishes and spurring on those who are considering this call to serve," said Bishop Robert C. Morlino of Helena, Montana, chairman of the bishops' committee on the Diaconate.

      Deacons assist at the liturgy, preach the Word, and do charitable work in the name of the Church.

      The Permanent Diaconate was restored by the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965) to be a "driving force for the Church's service or 'diaconia' toward the local Christian communities, and as a sign of the sacrament of the Lord Christ himself, who 'came not to be served but to serve' (Pope Paul VI, Apostolic Letter, Ad Pascendum, 1972)." A distinct ministry in the early Church, the diaconate devolved by the Middle Ages to a transitional stage en route to ordination to the priesthood.

      Formally reinstituted by Pope Paul VI in 1967, the Permanent Diaconate is open to married or single men ages 35 or older. A vital ministry in U.S. dioceses since 1968, the diaconate has grown an average of 10% annually. There are 28,238 deacons who serve the Church worldwide, a number which increased 17% from 1998 to 2001. U.S. deacons, 97% of whom are married, comprise nearly one-half of the Catholic Church's deacons worldwide.

      "In their marriages, workplace, and places of ministry, Permanent Deacons live out the integrated life of service and worship to which Christ called us," said Bishop Morlino. Nearly all deacons hold full-time jobs in the workplace. In the worship life of the local faith community, deacons assist priests and bishops, preach, baptize, teach, witness marriages, officiate at funerals, and sometimes serve as parish life coordinators in the absence of a priest.

      "The proposed directory will effectively guide and harmonize the diaconate formation programs, which can vary widely from diocese to diocese," said Deacon Ditewig. The directory provides national directives that will assist dioceses which are preparing, updating, or activating diaconate programs.

      Active diaconate programs, which currently exist in approximately 140 of the country's 178 Latin dioceses and 9 of the 17 eparchies of the Eastern rite Churches, boast an enrollment of 2,800. Diaconate programs also are emerging in more than 20 other Latin and Eastern dioceses, according to Ditewig.

      "The increasing numbers of deacons challenges us to provide them with the best and most comprehensive formation possible to meet the challenges of the Church in the modern world," said Bishop Morlino.

      The current directory builds upon the original and revised version of Permanent Deacons in the United States: Guidelines on Their Formation and Ministry approved in 1971 and 1984.

      The proposed National Directory for the Formation, Ministry and Life of Permanent Deacons in the United States, drafted in 1997, was approved in June 2000, by the U.S. bishops, after which it was sent to the Holy See for review.

      The present directory reflects the observations made by the Holy See, and if approved in June, will still require the Holy See's recognitio [formal approval] before its implementation.

      The USCCB's meeting opens June 19, and will continue through Saturday, June 21, at the Hyatt Hotel at Union Station in St. Louis.

      * * *

      BISHOPS FROM EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA TRAVEL TO COLOMBIA

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 13, 2003 (VIS) - A delegation of representatives from the
      episcopal conferences of Italy, Spain, France, Austria, Switzerland and the
      United States of America, headed by Archbishop Paul J. Cordes, president of
      the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum," is visiting Colombia from May 12 to 19 to
      deliver a message from the Holy Father.

      During their stay, according to a communique made public today, the delegation will meet with representatives from the Episcopal Conference of Colombia as well as with Alvaro Uribe Velez, president of the republic, Michael Fruling, the United Nations representative for human rights in Colombia and representatives of the U. N. High Commissioner for Refugees. On Saturday May 17 there will be a special Eucharistic celebration in Bojaya in memory of the victims of the massacre in the Church of Bella Vista which occurred one year ago.

      "The indications of the Holy Father on the building of a civilization of love and above all cooperation among institutions of the State and Church in order to combat injustice, poverty, violence, will comprise," the communique concludes, "the two main themes that the bishops will address in the different meetings."

      * * *

      SUNDAY MAY 18: CANONIZATION OF FOUR BLESSEDS

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 13, 2003 (VIS) - This Sunday, May 18, the fifth Sunday of
      Easter, John Paul II will celebrate Mass in St. Peter's Square at 10 a.m. and will canonize four Blesseds.

      The future saints are: Jozef Sebastian Pelczar, bishop and founder of the Congregation of the Servants of the Sacred Heart of Jesus; Urszula Ledochowska, virgin and foundress of the Ursuline Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Agony; Maria de Mattias, virgin and foundress of the Congregation of the Sisters, Adorers of the Blood of Christ; Virginia
      Centurione Bracelli, lay person and foundress of the Sisters of Our Lady of Refuge on Calvary and of the Religious Daughters of Our Lady on Calvary.

      * * *

      DEVELOPMENT CALLS FOR SOLIDARITY, HARMONY AND JUSTICE

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 13, 2003 (VIS) - Archbishop Renato Martino, president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, is in Cotonou, Benin where he spoke this morning at the opening of a conference entitled "Political Stability and Development: The Contribution of the Social Doctrine of the Church." His talk focussed on "The Catholic Church's Concern for Development, Justice and Peace." The three-day meeting was organized by the Adenauer Foundation and by the Institute of Artisans of Justice and Peace of Cotonou.

      According to a communique published by the council, Archbishop Martino noted that "development cannot be built on conflicts, discrimination, rancor, exclusion, nor on the force of arms. It calls for agreement, solidarity, the joining of efforts, attention to one's neighbor, justice amd respect for the dignity of the person and of his rights."

      He also spoke of the serious problem of the causes of the conflicts which have covered the African continent with blood, stating that one of these causes lies in the greed for the resources that are so abundant in the African soil and subsoil. "Such riches are coveted by interest groups that exploit the breadth and the permanent nature of the conflicts for dirty commerce, paying bribes to the leaders of producing countries. There is need for greater solidarity, greater justice, greater participation in the administration of these resources." Another cause, he said, is exclusion which takes the form of ethnic discrimination and racial hatred.

      The archbishop also pointed to the question of international debt, saying that there is a need for the sums that have been freed up by the remission of debt to be invested in priority sectors such as health, education and other social services.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/051503.htm>

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      <http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html>
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      monthly newsletter to anyone who requests it. Also free of charge are: the =
      tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Cat=holic
      Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; th=e
      promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter
      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      Email: <englishspoken@...> or <stjoseph.flavigny@...>

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.
      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News>, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: