    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2003

      MONDAY 5 MAY 2003

      Feast of St. Philip Neri

      • 1 Million Attend Canonization of 5 Saints in Madrid
      • "Farewell, Spain! Farewell, Land of Mary!"
      • John Paul II Exhorts Youth to Counter Violence With Love
      • Pope Urges Spain to Lend Its Catholic Values to a New Europe
      • Italian President Says Papal Trips Strengthen Europe's Identity
      • Archbishop Diarmuid Martin Appointed Coadjutor in Dublin
      • For Aid to the Church in Need, Life Goes On
      • SARS Threat Scales Back Pilgrimages in China
      • Globalization Must Be Regulated, Says John Paul II
      • Peace Cannot Be Based on Nuclear Arms, Says Vatican
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      1 Million Attend Canonization of 5 Saints in Madrid

      Martyr From Spanish Civil War Among Those Honored

      MADRID, Spain, MAY 4, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II appealed to Spain's Catholics to be faithful to their rich spiritual legacy, as he canonized five of their compatriots.

      More than 1 million people gathered in Columbus Square today to participate in the key ceremony of the Pope's fifth visit to Spain.

      "The Successor of Peter, pilgrim in Spanish lands, repeats to you: Spain, continuing a legacy of courageous evangelization, be a witness today of the resurrected Jesus Christ!" the Holy Father said during the homily.

      Two of the newly canonized saints are priests Pedro Poveda (1874-1936), founder of the Teresian Association who was martyred during the Spanish Civil War; and José María Rubio (1864-1929), Jesuit religious, apostle of the poorest neighborhoods of Madrid.

      The other three were women religious: Genoveva Torres (1870-1956), foundress of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of the Holy Angels (known as the Angelicas); Ángela de la Cruz (1846-1932), foundress of the Sisters of the Company of the Cross; and María Maravillas de Jesús (1891-1974), a Discalced Carmelite.

      "In giving thanks to the Lord for the many gifts he has lavished on Spain, I invite you to pray with me that new saints will continue to flower in this land," the Pope said.

      The Holy Father mentioned two conditions for new saints to appear in Spain: the need to maintain faithfulness to the Gospel and to defend family unity.

      "Do not break with your Christian roots!" he said. "Only in this way will you be able to give to the world and to Europe the cultural wealth of your history."

      During the homily, the Pope highlighted the heroic virtues of the five saints.

      He said that St. Pedro Poveda "ended his life with the crown of martyrdom" during "the religious persecution" that Spain suffered from 1936 to 1939, during which almost 12,000 priests and women religious died for their faith.

      John Paul II highlighted St. José María Rubio's motto: "To do what God wills and to will what God does."

      St. Genoveva Torres "was an instrument of the tenderness of God toward people who are alone and in need of love, consolation, and care of body and soul," the Pope said. "The characteristic note that drove her spirituality was reparation through eucharistic adoration."

      "A similar love and sensibility toward the poor led St. Ángela de la Cruz to found her Company of the Cross, with a charitable and social dimension in favor of the neediest," he added.

      "St. Maravillas de Jesús," he said, "lived inspired by a heroic faith, made concrete in the response of an austere vocation, placing God at the center of her life."

      Among those attending the canonization was Manuel Vilar, an Argentine boy who was pronounced clinically dead when he drowned in a pool. He miraculously returned to life through the intercession of Mother Maravillas.

      Among those concelebrating with the Pope was a Jesuit religious cured of terminal cancer through the intercession of Father Rubio.

      * * *

      "Farewell, Spain! Farewell, Land of Mary!"

      At Close of Canonization, Pope Urges the Faithful to Evangelize

      MADRID, Spain, MAY 4, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II bid Spain farewell at the conclusion of the canonization of five saints and called on the country's Catholics to become evangelizers.

      "I carry you all in my heart," the Pontiff told the more than 1 million people gathered in Columbus Square and adjacent streets. "The memory of these days will become a prayer for you for fraternal coexistence, encouraged by a Christian hope that does not let one down.

      "And with great affection, I say to you, as I did the first time: Farewell, Spain! Farewell, land of Mary!"

      Seeing the multitudes before him, John Paul II added: "Although you had to make a sacrifice, it was worthwhile. Columbus Square has become a great temple to welcome the celebration, in which we have prayed with devotion and sung with great care." The pilgrims responded with cheers.

      The Pope continued: "We meet in the heart of Madrid, near great museums, libraries and other centers of culture founded on the Christian faith which Spain, part of Europe, with its organization, was able to offer to America and later other parts of the world. Thus, the place evokes the vocation of Spanish Catholics to be builders of Europe and to be in solidarity with the rest of the world."

      "Evangelized Spain. Evangelizing Spain. This is the way," the Pope said.

      After the ceremony, the Pope went to the apostolic nunciature to lunch with the Spanish cardinals, members of the Executive Committee of the Spanish episcopal conference, and cardinals and bishops in the papal entourage.

      At 5 p.m. the Pope was scheduled to meet with King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia in an audience at the nunciature. He was due to leave for Rome from Madrid's Barajas airport in the evening.

      * * *

      John Paul II Exhorts Youth to Counter Violence With Love

      700,000 Attend Gathering in Madrid

      MADRID, Spain, MAY 4, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II urged more than 700,000 young people to be "operators and architects of peace," telling a rally that such a project begins with "inner conversion."

      "The spiral of violence, terrorism and war causes, even in our days, hatred and death," the Pope said in his address Saturday to the huge gathering outside Madrid.

      "Peace, we know, is above all a gift from on high which we must ask for with insistence and which, moreover, we must all construct through a profound inner conversion," he said.

      The Holy Father reiterated the appeal for peace, which he made a few hours earlier on his arrival in Spain: "Respond to blind violence and inhuman hatred with the fascinating power of love. Keep far away from every form of exasperated nationalism, racism and intolerance. Witness with your life that ideas are not imposed but proposed."

      The Pope called on young people to discover their vocation, especially the call to the priesthood.

      "I wish to say to each one of you, young people: If you feel the call of God saying to you, 'Follow me!' do not silence it. Be generous, respond like Mary, offering to God the joyful yes of your person and your life," he said.

      "I give you my testimony," the Pope added. "I was ordained a priest when I was 26 years old. Fifty-six years have passed since then. When looking back and recalling these years of my life, I can assure you that it is worthwhile to dedicate oneself to the cause of Christ."

      At another point, he referred to the need for a new evangelization in Europe.

      "A Europe faithful to its Christian roots, not shut in on itself but open to dialogue and cooperation with the other peoples of the earth; a Europe conscious of being called to be a beacon of civilization and stimulus of progress for the world, determined to unite its efforts and creativity in the service of peace and solidarity among peoples," the Pope stressed.

      For John Paul II, "the tragedy of the present culture is the lack of inwardness, the absence of contemplation. Without inwardness, culture is lacking in the essential; it is like a body that is yet to find its soul."

      The Holy Father exhorted young people to "form part of the 'school of the Virgin Mary.' She is the unsurpassable model of contemplation and wondrous example of fruitful, joyful and enriching inwardness."

      In a relaxed atmosphere, the Holy Father did away with protocol on more than one occasion.

      He spoke informally with young people, triggering repeated ovations, including "waves" among the thousands of participants, including some bishops.

      The event lasted almost two hours longer than organizers expected.

      * * *

      Pope Urges Spain to Lend Its Catholic Values to a New Europe

      Gives a Message of Peace Upon Arrival in Madrid

      MADRID, Spain, MAY 4, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II expressed hope that Spain will contribute the legacy of its Catholic values to the construction of the new Europe.

      "Peace be with you, Spain!" the Pope said as he arrived Saturday at Madrid's Barajas airport. Several hundred people were on hand to greet him, on his fifth apostolic visit to the country.

      "Peace, which is the work of justice, truth, love and solidarity; peace that peoples only enjoy when they follow the dictates of the law of God; a peace that makes men and peoples feel like brothers toward one another," the Holy Father said.

      Among those present at the welcoming ceremony were King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, Spanish cardinals and bishops, and Prime Minister José María Aznar.

      "I implore from the Lord for Spain and for the whole world a peace that is fruitful, stable and lasting, as well as coexistence in unity, within the marvelous and varied diversity of its peoples and cities," the Pope added.

      He said he always follows "the vicissitudes of Spain" with intense interest and satisfaction, given "its progress for the well-being of all."

      "The process of a nation's development," he added, "should be founded on genuine and permanent values, which seek the good of every person, subject of rights and duties, from the first instant of his existence and reception in the family, and in the subsequent stages of his insertion and participation in social life."

      These are the values that Spain must contribute to the construction of a new Europe, according to the Pope.

      "Europe, return to yourself. Be yourself. Revive your roots!" John Paul II said, recalling the words he pronounced during his first trip to Spain in 1982.

      "I am certain that Spain will contribute the rich cultural and historical legacy of its Catholic roots and values to the integration of a Europe that, from the plurality of its cultures and respecting the identity of its member states, seeks a unity based on criteria and principles in which the integral good of its citizens prevails," the Holy Father said.

      Lastly, the Pontiff illustrated the reasons that led him to convoke the two key events of his visit.

      In the meeting with hundreds of thousands of young people on Saturday afternoon in the Cuatro Vientos air base, he said he wished to "enter into contact with those who are called to be protagonists of the new times."

      "I have full confidence in them and I am sure that they have the will not to let down God, or the Church, or the society from which they come," the Pope explained.

      The Holy Father went on to mention the canonization Mass planned in Madrid's Columbus Square.

      "They knew how to accept the invitation of Jesus Christ: 'You will be my witnesses,'" he said of the five Spaniards he was to canonize.

      "In this historic moment," the Pope added, "they are a light on our way to live the faith with courage, to foster love of neighbor, and to continue with hope the construction of a society based on peaceful coexistence and the moral and human uplifting of every citizen."

      * * *

      Italian President Says Papal Trips Strengthen Europe's Identity

      ROME, MAY 4, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi said that John Paul II's apostolic trips around Europe reinforce citizens' sense of belonging to a community, which must be based on spiritual values.

      Ciampi expressed this conviction in a message he sent to the Pope on Saturday, in response to a telegram that the Holy Father sent him when he left Rome for Spain.

      "I have re-read the address His Holiness delivered to the European Parliament in 1988," Ciampi said. "He had the foresight to anticipate -- when emphasizing integration, enlargement, cohesion -- Europe's present drive toward unity."

      "Following that unforgettable invitation, his European trips must reinforce in citizens of the Old World the feeling of a common and solidaristic belonging," the president added.

      "In these very crucial days for the future of the European Union, his mission and work are a lofty appeal to the ethical and spiritual values, on which European civilization is founded," Ciampi said.

      "I am convinced that his presence and word will be a source of encouragement, especially for the young people who will go to hear him with enthusiasm in Madrid," the president added.

      * * *

      Archbishop Diarmuid Martin Appointed Coadjutor in Dublin

      Was Vatican's Observer at U.N. in Geneva

      DUBLIN, Ireland, MAY 4, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II appointed Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, the Holy See's permanent observer at the United Nations in Geneva, as coadjutor in the Archdiocese of Dublin.

      As coadjutor archbishop he has the right of succession. Cardinal Desmond Connell, 77, now leads the archdiocese.

      In a press statement after the Vatican's announcement on Saturday, Cardinal Connell said: "With great joy I have received news of the appointment of Archbishop Diarmuid Martin as coadjutor for the Archdiocese of Dublin."

      The cardinal added: "I am deeply grateful to the Holy Father for the gracious response of His Holiness to the request I submitted to the Holy See (on 3rd May 2002) for the assistance of a coadjutor following the appointment of Bishop Moriarty as bishop of Kildare and Leighlin and of Bishop Walsh as apostolic administrator of Ferns.

      "The appointment of a highly regarded member of the Roman Curia and a distinguished envoy of the Holy See to the United Nations conveys the Holy Father’s benevolence and particular favor towards the archdiocese as well as the importance the Pope attaches to the Church's mission to the contemporary secular world as represented in the evolving circumstances of a changing Ireland."

      For his part, Archbishop Martin also issued a statement.

      "I would like to thank Cardinal Connell for his warm words of welcome," he said. "This is my first day and I have a great deal to learn. I am happy therefore to have in Cardinal Connell a novice master who is wise, kind and patient.

      "I was born and grew up in Dublin, but I have lived most of my life away from Ireland. I left Geneva yesterday morning somewhat nervous. But I have to say, that it only takes a couple of hours being back here before you realize that Dublin is a great place to be."

      Archbishop Martin added: "There are also many who are estranged from the Church. I am aware that there are those for whom meaning and hope were lost in their lives through the actions of church personnel. Their hurt is all the greater if they feel betrayed by someone they had turned to in trust.

      "I am prepared to work with them and with all so that the Church in Dublin diocese can be more and more Church at its best, bringing the comfort and strength, that hope and meaning of the message of Jesus, which has inspired so many in this city and diocese over the years."

      The archdiocese has an estimated Catholic population of 1.03 million in 200 parishes. It includes the city and county of Dublin, nearly all of County Wicklow and portions of counties Kildare, Carlow, Wexford and Laois.

      * * *

      For Aid to the Church in Need, Life Goes On

      Vatican Underlines Its Support After Founder's Death

      KOENIGSTEIN, Germany, MAY 4, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The founder of Aid to the Church in Need is gone, but the work of the international charity is as crucial as ever, says a Vatican official.

      Cardinal Darío Castrillón Hoyos, prefect of the Congregation for Clergy, said the recent war in Iraq pointed up the ongoing necessity for the German-based charity founded by Father Werenfried van Straaten.

      The cardinal praised ACN's efficiency in handling situations involving poverty and persecution -- and even evangelization.

      Father van Straaten, a Dutch-born Norbertine, died Jan. 31 at age 90. Last week, Cardinal Castrillón visited the priest's tomb.

      The occasion was a two-day meeting which marked the first time since the death of the famed "bacon priest" that the General Council of the charity convened at ACN headquarters in Koenigstein, near Frankfurt.

      A central issue at the meeting was the future of the charity. Cardinal Castrillón's presence underlined the Holy See's interest in ACN at this point in the organization's history.

      The meeting culminated in a ceremony at the grave of Father van Straaten, led by key figures from the 16 donor countries of the charity.

      Cardinal Castrillón, the Vatican's representative to the charity, said earlier: "The Holy See is confident that the benefactors of ACN will continue to give as generously as before, so that the poorest in the world can be effectively helped in their corporal and spiritual needs. Continue to accompany this charity with your generosity!"

      At the graveside ceremony in the cemetery of Koenigstein, the members of the General Council renewed the consecration of the charity to the Blessed Virgin Mary, which Father Werenfried himself had made four years earlier in Rome.

      They prayed: "Mother of the Church, help us to live in creative fidelity to the founding charism of our charity."

      * * *

      SARS Threat Scales Back Pilgrimages in China

      BEIJING, MAY 4, 2003 (ZENIT.org-Fides).- Pilgrimages to Marian shrines in China are being drastically reduced this month because of the SARS scare.

      Father Lan Xiaopeng, parish priest of the Church of Our Lady of Succor at Sheshan, near Shanghai, said that many pilgrims and dioceses have canceled their visits to the shrine to avoid the risk of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome.

      "May is usually the busiest month, but this year the number of pilgrims will be low," Father Xiaopeng told Fides.

      Worldwide, SARS has killed at least 449 people and sickened more than 6,300, according to the Associated Press.

      The Shrine of Our Lady of Succor, situated at the top of a hill, is one of the most popular among Chinese Catholics. In recent years in the month of May about 50,000 to 60,000 people visited the shrine to pray the rosary and make the Stations of the Cross.

      However, on April 23, the Church in China issued an official notice to suspend the pilgrimages, to avert the spread of SARS.

      Buddhists, Muslims and Christians in China have joined efforts to fight SARS, in particular by collecting funds for the health personnel who work to overcome the virus.

      * * *

      Globalization Must Be Regulated, Says John Paul II

      Points Out the Shortcomings of the Phenomenon

      VATICAN CITY, MAY 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Citing what he sees as a lack of effective mechanisms to direct the process of globalization, John Paul II proposed "a new constitutional organization of the human family."

      The Pope addressed the issue of "The Governance of Globalization" when he met today with some 70 scientists, writers, philosophers, economists, sociologists and jurists, members of the Pontifical Academy for Social Sciences.

      The "processes by which capital, goods, information, technology and knowledge are exchanged and circulated throughout the world today often elude the traditional mechanisms of regulatory control put in place by national governments and international agencies," the Holy Father said in his address.

      "Special interests and the demands of the market frequently predominate over concern for the common good," he added. "This tends to leave the weaker members of society without adequate protection and can subject entire peoples and cultures to a formidable struggle for survival."

      "Moreover, it is disturbing to witness a globalization that exacerbates the conditions of the needy, that does not sufficiently contribute to resolving situations of hunger, poverty and social inequality, that fails to safeguard the natural environment," the Pope said.

      "These aspects of globalization can give rise to extreme reactions, leading to excessive nationalism, religious fanaticism and even acts of terrorism," he warned.

      He continued: "All of this is far-removed from the concept of an ethically responsible globalization capable of treating all peoples as equal partners and not as passive instruments. Accordingly, there can be little doubt of the need for guidelines that will place globalization firmly at the service of authentic human development -- the development of every person and of the whole person -- in full respect of the rights and dignity of all."

      The "true success of globalization will be measured by the extent that it enables every person to enjoy the basic goods of food and housing, of education and employment, of peace and social progress, of economic development and justice," the Pontiff said.

      However, this "goal cannot be achieved without guidance from the international community and adequate regulation on the part of the worldwide political establishment," he continued.

      Consequently, "now is the time to work together for a new constitutional organization of the human family, an organization that would be in a position to meet the new demands of a globalized world," the Pope said.

      "This does not mean creating a 'global super-state,' but continuing the processes already under way to increase democratic participation and promote political transparency and accountability," he concluded.

      * * *

      Peace Cannot Be Based on Nuclear Arms, Says Vatican

      Calls for Reinforcement of Nonproliferation Treaty

      GENEVA, MAY 2, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See called for the reinforcement of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty on weapons, including control mechanisms to avoid cheating.

      This was the fundamental appeal made by Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, permanent observer of the Vatican to the United Nations in Geneva, when he addressed the Preparatory Committee of the 7th Conference to Examine the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which is being held here until May 9.

      "The architecture of the NPT must be reinforced to enhance international security," he said Tuesday. "This architecture must include effective reporting, verification procedures, mechanisms to combat cheating, and an enforceable rule of law."

      "The end of the Cold War should never permit us to overlook the calamitous damage which the use of nuclear weapons would cause," Archbishop Martin continued.

      "A so-called peace based on nuclear weapons cannot be the type of peace that we seek for the 21st century," he said. "The proliferation of nuclear weapons can only make the possibility of their use ever more real. No state, big or small, can morally justify escalating such a risk."

      For this reason, the archbishop presented three appeals:

      --first, "the total elimination of nuclear weapons is the only absolute guarantee against the use or threat of use of nuclear weapons."

      --second, the "fight against terrorism also requires enhancing our commitment to an integrated program of nuclear nonproliferation and disarmament." The archbishop said: "The threat of terrorist attacks using nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction ought to galvanize the community of nations to ensure that the NPT, the cornerstone of the nonproliferation regime, is strengthened."

      --third, "[n]either must we lose sight of the goal of universal adherence to the treaty. The presence of weapons of mass destruction in any region of the world represents, in fact, a threat to long-term regional and global security."

      Archbishop Martin also said that the "peace process in the Middle East should thus aim at rapidly consolidating the necessary security presuppositions which will permit the establishment there of a zone verifiably free of all weapons of mass destruction."

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/050503.htm>

      <http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/ 600/USA/Readings.html>

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      <http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html>
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      The Benedictine monks of Abbaye Saint-Joseph de Clairval mail a free monthly newsletter to anyone who requests it. Also free of charge are: the tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter
      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      Email: <englishspoken@...> or <stjoseph.flavigny@...>

      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.
      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News>, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome.