    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2003

      THURSDAY 1 MAY 2003

      Feast of St. Joseph

      • JOHN PAUL II'S PONTIFICATE IS FOURTH LONGEST IN HISTORY
      • HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MAY
      • Meditation on Psalm 100(101)
      • DECLARATION BY IRAQI PATRIARCHS AND BISHOPS
      • OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS
      • Apostle of Madrid Who Helped Form the Laity
      • Hope of Heaven Doesn't Dispense Us From Daily Duties, Says Cardinal
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      JOHN PAUL II'S PONTIFICATE IS FOURTH LONGEST IN HISTORY

      VATICAN CITY, APR 30, 2003 (VIS) - Pope John Paul II, when he was elected to the papacy on October 16, 1978, became the 263rd successor to St. Peter, the first Pope. As of today, John Paul's pontificate becomes the fourth longest in the two millennium-old history of the Catholic Church at 24 years, 6 months and 8 days, having just surpassed Pius VI. The date is calculated as of October 22, 1978, the official start of his papacy.

      Only three Roman Pontiffs have now reigned longer than Pope John Paul. In ascending order they are: Leo XIII (25 years, 5 months), Pius IX (31 years, 7 months, 21 days) and St. Peter (precise dates unknown).

      In this almost-quarter-of-a-century reign, the Holy Father has amassed unparalleled statistics, including 98 foreign apostolic trips (the May 3-4 trip to Madrid will be his 99th), and 142 within Italy, not including those to various institutions in his diocese of Rome, for a total of nearly three-quarters of a million miles. He has written 14 encyclicals, 13 apostolic exhortations, 11 apostolic constitutions, 42 apostolic letters and 28 Motu proprio.

      John Paul II has proclaimed 1,314 Blesseds in 138 ceremonies and, as of Sunday, May 4, will have proclaimed 469 Saints in 48 liturgical celebrations. He has held eight consistories for the creation of cardinals and has named a total of 201 cardinals. The last consistory was February 2001. The current College of Cardinals is comprised of 168 members, of whom 112 are eligible to vote in a conclave.

      Over the years the Pope has held 1,083 weekly general audiences, including today's audience, and has welcomed nearly 17 million faithful from every part of the world. Other audiences, including various groups and heads of State and government, total just over 1,500.

      In addition to these figures, Pope John Paul II has achieved many "firsts" in his long reign. To name but a few, he is the first Pope to ever visit a synagogue (Rome, April 1986); to visit a mosque (May 2001, Omayyad Great Mosque of Damascus); to hold press conferences in airplanes and one in the Holy See Press Office (January 24, 1994); to publish books of prose and poetry; to stay at a hotel instead of residing in the apostolic nunciature during his travels (Irshad Hotel in Baku, Azerbaijan, May 2002); to add five new mysteries to the Rosary (October 2002); to say Mass in an airplane hangar (December 1992, Rome's Leonardo da Vinci Airport); to call for a Day of Pardon (Jubilee Year 2000).

      As the most peripatetic Pontiff in history, John Paul II has visited 133 countries, the overwhelming majority of which were welcoming a Pope for the first time.

      He is also the first Pope: to visit a prison cell (when he spoke in December 1983 with Ali Agca, the Turk who made an attempt on his life in 1981 in St. Peter's Square); to say Mass in the northernmost Catholic community in the world, over 350 kilometers north of the Arctic Polar Circle (Tromso, Norway 1989); to use a letter (the letter "M" for Mary) on his papal crest (normally heraldic rules allow words around a crest, but not on it).

      * * *

      HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR MAY

      VATICAN CITY, APR 30, 2003 (VIS) - The Holy Father's general prayer intention for the month of May is: "That children in difficulty and those who devote themselves to their care, may find in Mary, Mother of life, constant support and help."

      His missionary intention is: "That in the local Churches of Asia, the Holy Spirit may kindle renewed ardor for evangelizing the entire Continent."

      * * *

      Meditation on Psalm 100(101)

      Pope on the Portrait of the Ideal Political Ruler

      VATICAN CITY, APRIL 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of John Paul II's address at today's general audience, which he dedicated to a meditation on Psalm 100(101).

      1. Following the two catecheses dedicated to the meaning of the paschal celebrations, we return to our reflection on the Liturgy of Lauds. It proposes Psalm 100(101), which we have just read, for Tuesday of the Fourth Week.

      It is a meditation that paints the portrait of the ideal political ruler, who should model his life on the divine governance of the world: right action stemming from perfect integrity and by an energetic commitment against injustice. This text is now proposed as a program of life for the faithful one who begins his day of work and relations with his neighbor. It is a program of "loyalty and justice" (see verse 1), which comprises two important moral lines.

      2. The first is called the "way of integrity" and is oriented to exalting the personal choices of life, made "with integrity of heart," that is, with perfect rectitude of conscience (see verse 2).

      On one hand, there is a positive reference to the great moral virtues that render the "house" luminous, namely, the family of the righteous one (see verse 2): the wisdom that helps to understand and judge well; innocence which is purity of heart and of life; and, finally, the integrity of conscience that does not tolerate compromise with evil.

      On the other hand, the Psalmist introduces a negative commitment. This is the struggle against every form of wickedness and injustice, so as to keep far from one's home and from one's choices every perversion of the moral order (see verses 3-4).

      As St. Basil, great Father of the Eastern Church, writes in his work "Baptism," "not even the pleasure of an instant that contaminates thought should disturb him who has grieved with Christ in a death like his" ("Opere Ascetiche" [Ascetic Works], Turin, 1980, p. 548).

      3. The second line is developed in the last part of the Psalm (see verses 5-8) and specifies the importance of the typically public and social talents. Also in this case the essential points are listed of a life that intends to reject evil with rigor and firmness.

      First of all, the struggle against slander and secret denunciation, a fundamental commitment in a society of oral tradition, which attributed particular relevance to the function of the word in interpersonal relations. The king, who also exercised the function of judge, announces that in this struggle he will employ the most rigorous severity: He will make the slanderer perish (see verse 5). Then every arrogance and haughtiness is rejected; the company and counsel is refused of the one who always proceeds with deceit and lies. Finally, the king states the manner in which he wishes to choose his "companions" (see verse 6), that is, his ministers. He will take care to choose them from among "the faithful of the land." He wishes to surround himself with people of integrity and reject contact with anyone "who practices deceit" (see verse 7).

      4. The last verse of the Psalm is particularly energetic. It might create embarrassment for the Christian reader, because it announces an extermination: "Each morning I clear the wicked from the land, and rid the Lord's city of all evildoers" (verse 8). However, it is important to remember one thing: The one who speaks so is not just any individual, but the king, the highest person responsible for justice in the land. With this phrase he expresses in an exaggerated way his implacable commitment to struggle against criminality, an onerous commitment, shared by all those who have responsibility in public affairs.

      Evidently this task of executioner is not the duty of every citizen! Therefore, if individual faithful wish to apply to themselves the phrase of the Psalm, they must do so in an analogical sense, namely, deciding to extirpate every morning from their heart and their conduct the evil plant of corruption and violence, of perversion and wickedness, as well as every form of egoism and injustice.

      5. We conclude our meditation by returning to the verse at the beginning of the Psalm: "I sing of loyalty and justice" (verse 1). In his "Comments on the Psalms," Eusebius of Caesarea, an early Christian writer, underlines the primacy of love over the necessary justice: "I will sing of your mercy and justice, showing the way that you act: not to judge first and then have mercy, but first to have mercy and then judge, and emit sentences with clemency and mercy.

      "For this reason I myself, exercising mercy and judgment toward my neighbor, dare to draw near to sing and psalmodize to you. Aware, therefore, that one must act like this, I keep my life immaculate and innocent, convinced that in this way you will be pleased with my psalmodizing through good works" (PG 23, 1241).

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      [At the end of the audience, the Holy Father gave the following summary in English:]

      Dear Brothers and Sisters,

      Psalm 100 presents the figure of an ideal political ruler who models his actions on God's just governance of the world. The ruler's personal life is marked by moral integrity, while his public activity reflects a resolute commitment to combating every form of injustice in society. As the Church sings this Psalm in her Morning Prayer, she applies it to individual believers, who are called to govern their lives in justice and mercy, uprooting evil from their hearts and working for the growth of a society which embodies God's own justice, mercy and goodness.

      I am pleased to welcome the many English-speaking pilgrims and visitors present at today's audience, especially those from England, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Korea, Japan, Canada and the United States. My special greeting goes to the group of Rissho Kosei-kai Buddhists from Japan. I also thank the Korean choir for its song. Upon all of you I invoke God's abundant blessings of joy and peace.

      * * *

      DECLARATION BY IRAQI PATRIARCHS AND BISHOPS

      VATICAN CITY, APR 30, 2003 (VIS) - The following declaration, made by the patriarchs and bishops of Iraq and dated April 29, was published by the Holy See Press Office this afternoon in both Italian and French. We present it in its entirety:

      "At this moment when Iraq is turning a page and is beginning a new chapter in her millenary life, we, the patriarchs and bishops of the Christian Churches in Iraq, driven also by pressure from our faithful, wish to express our aspirations relative to the future of this country, in the hope that the Iraqi people, which has had a long history marked by defeats and successes,will be able, without religious or ethnic distinction, to live in freedom, justice and respect for interreligious and multiethnic coexistence.

      "When Hammurabi sculpted his Code on the stone of this land, law became the basis of the development of civilization.

      "When Abraham looked at the heavens above Ur, they opened up to him and, by this revelation, Abraham became the father of a multitude of peoples.

      "When Christianity and Islam met, their respective 'holy ones' began the two religions in respectful and reciprocal coexistence.

      "In addition, by virtue of our original right of belonging to the most ancient peoples of this land, we claim for ourselves and for all those who live in it today, whether a majority or minority, united by a long history of coexistence, the full right to live in a State of law, in peace, freedom, justice, and equality, according to the Human Rights Charter. Consequently, we - Chaldeans, Assyrians, Syrians, Armenians, Greeks and Latins - forming together one Christian community, ask that the new Iraqi constitution:

      - recognize our religious, cultural, social and political rights;
      - envision a legal statute in which each person will be considered according to their capacities, without discrimination, so that each may have the right to actively participate in the government and the service of this country;
      - consider Christians as Iraqi citizens with full rights;
      - guarantee the right to profess our faith according to our ancient traditions and our religious law, the right to educate our children according to Christian principles, the right to freely assemble, to build our places of worship, and our cultural and social centers according to our needs.

      "And lastly, we make this appeal before everyone, the Iraqi people, rich in ethnicities and religions, the political and religious authorities, as well as to everyone who has the good of the country at heart, and to the leaders of the international community."

      VATICAN CITY, APR 30, 2003 (VIS) - The Holy Father:

      - Appointed Fr. Marco Eugenio Galrao Leite de Almeida, of the clergy of Aracaju, Brazil and pastor of St. Mark the Evangelist Parish, as bishop of Estancia (area 6,737, population 425,857, Catholics 419,652, priests 26, religious 70), Brazil. He succeeds Bishop Hildebrando Mendes Costa whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepteed upon having reached the age limit.

      - Appointed Msgr. George William Coleman, diocesan administrator of the diocese of Fall River, U.S.A., as bishop of the same diocese (area 3,107, population 590,911, Catholics 350,570, priests 294, permanent deacons 62, religious 461). The bishop-elect was born in Fall River in 1939 and was ordained a priest in 1964.

      - Appointed Fr. Enrique Diaz Diaz, episcopal vicar of the archdiocese of Morelia, Mexico, as auxiliary bishop of San Cristobal de Las Casas (area 36,821, population 1,531,372, Catholics 995,322, priests 73, permanent deacons 342, religious 264), Mexico. The bishop-elect was born in Huandacareo, Mexico in 1952 and was ordained a priest in 1977.

      - Appointed Fr. Jeno Schonberger, of the clergy of the diocese of Satu Mare, Romania and pastor of Sighetu Marmatiei Parish, as bishop of the same diocese (area 10,500, population 925,000, Catholics 110,000, priests 74, religious 33). The bishop-elect was born in 1959 in Turulung, Romania, and was ordained a priest in 1985.

      * * *

      Apostle of Madrid Who Helped Form the Laity

      Postulator Tells of Life of José María Rubio

      ROME, APRIL 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II will canonize five Spaniards in Madrid this Sunday, including a Jesuit priest, José María Rubio.

      Father Rubio was outstanding for his work among the needy and for his keen awareness of the laity's mission in the Church.

      José María Rubio y Peralta was born on July 22, 1864, in Dalias, in the province of Almeria. He was ordained a priest in Madrid at 23. Subsequently, he felt a strong inclination to the religious life in the Society of Jesus, a vocation that became a reality 20 years later.

      He made his religious vows in 1908, and carried out his ministry in the Jesuit priests' residence in Madrid, where he remained until his death in Aranjuez on May 2, 1929.

      Father Rubio was known for his dedication to the confessional, to preaching, to the Spiritual Exercises, and to the apostolate of prayer of all the faithful.

      He is also known for his pastoral ministry in the poorest neighborhoods of Madrid, particularly in "La Ventanilla," where revolutionary movements inflamed the working class.

      Father Rubio founded schools and formed many Christians who would die as martyrs during the religious persecution in Spain.

      An exemplary priest of profound spiritual life, his pastoral ministry earned him the name of "Apostle" of the city.

      There are two essential traits that characterized this "man of God," the postulator of his cause of canonization, Father Paolo Molinari, said over Vatican Radio. "The first was his option for the poor."

      The "terms 'preferential option for the poor' were not usual in his time, in the '20s, when he was in Madrid," Father Molinari explained. "In fact, he lived for the poor, very close to them, and helped innumerable Christians, lay men and women, to live their Christianity by fusing love of God with love of neighbor, in a word, love for the neediest."

      The formation of the laity was Father Rubio's second fundamental trait. People were attracted to him "not because of any particular gifts but because of what his life reflected," Father Molinari said.

      Father Rubio was a man "who in the adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament and the contemplation of the Heart of Christ made his own the Lord's sentiments," the postulator said. "Truly, as St. Paul says, Father Rubio had conformed himself to Christ.

      "People perceived the presence of God in him -- he attracted them precisely because of his union with God, his holiness -- and that is why they hastened to listen to him. They would abandon themselves to that formation that he knew how to give."

      The postulator added: "Father Rubio recognized the mission of the laity in the Church and he was able to form men and women to share in the fullest sense in the mission the Church carries out, especially with the neediest."

      * * *

      Hope of Heaven Doesn't Dispense Us From Daily Duties, Says Cardinal

      Homily at Closing of a Marian Congress

      CASTEL GANDOLFO, Italy, APRIL 30, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The hope of heaven does not remove a Christian from his daily commitments in this world, says Cardinal Angelo Sodano.

      During the homily of the Mass celebrated on the last day of the international Marian congress entitled "To Contemplate Christ Through the Eyes of Mary," the Vatican secretary of state reflected on the Virgin as "Gate of Heaven."

      "The vision of heaven casts a powerful ray of light on our earthly existence ... [but] it should not remove us from our daily commitments," the cardinal said.

      "In every Christian the maternal figure of Mary, who awaits us at the gate of heaven, inspires a thought of profound hope" and "confirms us in our Christian view of life as a pilgrimage toward eternity," he added.

      Although "this vision of eternity has been atrophied in part by contemporary culture, Christ's disciples know very well that they are pilgrims on earth," the cardinal said.

      Referring to the parable of the talents, Cardinal Sodano explained that "each one of us must make the gifts God has given him come to fruition, to be able to restore them one day a hundredfold."

      "Faithfulness to daily duties" infuses "in the Christian the certainty of doing God's will," he concluded.

      For more details on the congress organized by the Focolare Movement, see <http://focolare.tiscalioffice.it>

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      <http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/050103.htm>

      <http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/ 600/USA/Readings.html>

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      <http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html>
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      The Benedictine monks of Abbaye Saint-Joseph de Clairval mail a free monthly newsletter to anyone who requests it. Also free of charge are: the tract about the divinity of Jesus Christ; tract about the Truths of the Catholic Religion; scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with explanatory notice; the promises of the Sacred Heart; the mysteries of the Rosary.

      Sample Newsletter
      <http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~vlaisney/lettre.cgi?language==EN>

      Email: <englishspoken@...> or <stjoseph.flavigny@...>

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.
      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News>, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: