    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2003

      MONDAY 17 March 2003

      Feast of St. Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland-Emerald in the Crown of Christ

      • Still Room for Peace, Says John Paul II
      • Pope Recalls His Own Experience of Tragedy of War
      • Pope Says He Hopes to Attend World Youth Day 2005
      • Cardinal Says U.S., Britain and Spain Should Heed the Pope
      • Convention to Look Back at China Missions
      • Thai Bishop Urges End to Violence and Bias Against Women
      • Sant'Egidio Invited to Mediate in Central African War
      • Kenya Missionaries Launching a "Comboni Year"
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      Still Room for Peace, Says John Paul II

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 16, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today, before reciting the midday Angelus with the crowds gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. Yesterday, the Spiritual Exercises ended here, in the Apostolic Palace. They were days of intense recollection and listening to the Word of God.

      The theme of the meditations proposed was the central truth of the Christian faith: "God is Love." In the silence of prayer we were able to contemplate at length this Good News, of which the world is always in need. We must not lose confidence, in the face of a humanity marked by grave imbalances and so much violence: The love of God, which shines in all its fullness on the face of Christ, is reflected faithful and merciful over this world.

      2. Only Christ can renew hearts and give hope again to peoples. Today's liturgy, in presenting the mysterious event of the Transfiguration, allows us to experience the power of his light, which overcomes the darkness of doubt and evil.

      From this perspective of faith, I wish to renew an urgent appeal to multiply the commitment to prayer and penance, to invoke from Christ the gift of his peace.
      There is no peace without conversion of heart.

      The next few days will be decisive for the outcome of the Iraqi crisis. Let us pray, therefore, to the Lord to inspire in all sides of the dispute courage and farsightedness.

      The political leaders of Baghdad certainly have the urgent duty to collaborate fully with the international community, to eliminate every motive for armed intervention. To them I address my urgent appeal: The fate of fellow citizens is always the priority!

      But I would also like to remind the member countries of the United Nations, and in particular those that make up the Security Council, that the use of force represents the last recourse, after having exhausted every other peaceful solution, in keeping with the well-known principles of the U.N. Charter itself.

      Here is why, in the face of the tremendous consequences that an international military operation would have for the population of Iraq and the balance of the entire Middle East region, already sorely tried, as well as for the extremisms that could ensue, I say to all: There is still time to negotiate; there is still room for peace; it is never too late to come to an understanding and to continue discussions.

      To reflect on one's duties, to engage in energetic negotiations does not mean to be humiliated, but to work with responsibility for peace.

      Moreover, we Christians are convinced that real and lasting peace is not only the fruit, though necessary, of political agreements and understanding between individuals and peoples, but a gift of God to all those who submit themselves to him and accept with humility and gratitude the light of his love.

      3. Let us go forward confidently, dear Brothers and Sisters, in our Lenten journey. May Mary Most Holy obtain for us that this Lent will not be remembered as a sad time of war, but as a period of courageous effort for conversion and peace. We entrust this intention to the special intercession of St. Joseph, whose solemnity we will celebrate next Wednesday.

      [After praying the Angelus, John Paul II said the following:]

      I belong to that generation that lived through World War II and, thanks be to God, survived it. I have the duty to say to all young people, to those who are younger than me, who have not had this experience: "No more war!" as Paul VI said during his first visit to the United Nations. We must do everything possible! We know well that peace is not possible at any cost. But we all know how great this responsibility is -- therefore, prayer and penance!

      * * *

      Pope Recalls His Own Experience of Tragedy of War

      Urges Prayer and Penance to End Iraqi Crisis

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 16, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II surprised pilgrims when he publicly recalled his own experience of war in explaining his opposition to military intervention in Iraq.

      "I belong to that generation that lived through World War II and, thanks be to God, survived it," the Pope said, after praying the midday Angelus with the crowds gathered today in St. Peter's Square.

      "I have the duty to say to all young people, to those who are younger than me, who have not had this experience: 'No more war!' as Paul VI said during his first visit to the United Nations," he added.

      "We must do everything possible. We know well that peace is not possible at any cost. But we all know how great this responsibility is -- therefore, prayer and penance!" he exclaimed.

      Gian Franco Svidercoschi, one of the journalists who knows the Holy Father best, and who is the author of "Stories of Karol: The Unknown Life of John =
      Paul II" (Liguori, 2003), explained to ZENIT the context of the Pope's historical reflection.

      "During the years of that conflict, the Pope was acquainted with the worst horrors of the 20th century, the two totalitarianisms that tried to kill man and his soul," Svidercoschi said. "And I think that that is why he has a particular credibility when he speaks of peace."

      "During the Nazi occupation he made a choice: He participated in his homeland's survival by becoming part of the 'Unia' [Union], a Polish clandestine association," the journalist recalled.

      "There were several branches in this movement: One was for armed struggle, another was for cultural clandestine resistance and assistance to Jews," added Svidercoschi, who has been a Vatican correspondent since 1959.

      "Karol Wojtyla chose the second, in particular, because of the clandestine theater," he said. "He engaged in resistance with peace. If he had been discovered doing theater, he would have been confined in an extermination camp.

      "He understood the difficult choice of his friends who fought for peace, but he made a different choice. Hence, he is not a pacifist but a man of peace."

      The Pope recalls in his book "Gift and Mystery" that one of the first Masses he ever celebrated was in Wawel Cathedral in Krakow, for his friends in the Unia resistance and the rhapsodic theater. John Paul II wrote the book in response to questions asked by Svidercoschi.

      * * *

      Pope Says He Hopes to Attend World Youth Day 2005

      Meets with University Students After Ending His Weeklong Retreat

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 16, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II, whose health in recent weeks is noticeably improved, met with European university students and told them he is preparing for World Youth Day 2005 in Germany.

      "I thank the cardinal of Cologne, Joachim Meisner, for his invitation, as I am certain that this invitation is addressed also to me, although as you see, I am no longer that young," the Pope said Saturday, wringing loud applause from his young audience in Paul VI Hall.

      The Holy Father prayed the rosary with thousands of students on hand. The event marked the resumption of his public engagements, after a week of Lenten Spiritual Exercises.

      Thousands of youths in Cologne; Krakow, Poland; Fatima, Portugal; Uppsala, Sweden; Bratislava, Slovakia; and Vienna, Austria, heard him live through a television connection.

      "Christian young people are called to proclaim their witness to Christ and to
      be architects of unity in diversity, of freedom in truth and of peace in justice, a peace of which the world is in particular need," he said during his address.

      The Pope also asked the students to be faithful "to the spiritual and moral principles that inspired the fathers of European unification."

      He pointed out that Europe is living through an important time in its history, and because of this, young people should make their contribution of aspirations and ideals, study, work and "generous dedication."

      A smiling John Paul II also joked about the power of television, assuring his listeners that it allows him to control the cardinals "at a distance," such as Krakow's prince of the Church, who appeared on live TV during the event.

      The Pope invited the students to participate in a rosary on April 10, an "occasion of prayer and celebration" in St. Peter's Square, so that "the destiny of the world may change."

      * * *

      Cardinal Says U.S., Britain and Spain Should Heed the Pope

      John Paul II Fears "Ungovernable Situation" in Iraq, Envoy Reveals

      VATICAN CITY, MARCH 16, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The papal envoy who recently met with George W. Bush said that John Paul II's voice must be heard at the U.S.-British-Spanish summit under way in the Azores.

      During his greeting today with pilgrims in St. Peter's Square, the Holy Father said: "There is still time to negotiate; there is still room for peace; it is never too late to come to an understanding and to continue discussions."

      The papal envoy, Cardinal Pio Laghi, on Ash Wednesday delivered a note from the Pope to Bush, as part of the Holy Father's peace efforts in the Iraqi crisis.

      The cardinal said he hoped that the Pope's words would also be heard at today's summit between Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Spanish Prime Minister José María Aznar.

      Cardinal Laghi, former apostolic nuncio in Washington, dined with the Pope on Saturday to give him details of his meeting with the U.S. president. He was unable to do so earlier, since the Holy Father was on his annual Lenten retreat.

      "The issue of peace was always present in the Pope's prayer during this retreat, in which I also participated," the cardinal later told the press.

      "And among the weapons we still have to stave off the war, first of all is prayer," the cardinal stressed. "We have prayed and continue to pray that the world will have confidence in the power of peace.

      "We insist on Iraq's disarmament but we hope it can be obtained without unleashing a war. I expressed this hope to Bush, and this hope persists: Let us not abandon hope, but of course today things have become very complicated."

      The Pope fears that "the Middle East will be destabilized and that a possible war against Iraq will mark the beginning of an ungovernable situation," the cardinal concluded.

      * * *

      Convention to Look Back at China Missions

      ROME, MARCH 16, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Missionaries will study historical moments in the evangelization of China at a forthcoming convention entitled "Catholic Church and Missions in China from 1840 to 1911."

      The convention will be held March 27-29 at the Pontifical Urban University. The convention has been organized by the Tian Xia Yi Jia (Under the Heavens We Are All One People) Association, which is an umbrella organization of congregations and organizations associated with China.

      Among the participating groups are the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions, Combonians, Canossians, the Community of Sant'Egidio and Catholic Action.

      The convention aims to highlight Chinese history after 1840, when Europeans began entering China, until the fall of the empire and the creation of the Republic of China.

      The work of religious congregations active in China during that period will also be presented.

      Among those who will participate in a round-table discussion are Father Notker Wolf, abbot primate of the Benedictine Confederation; Father Antonio Pernia, superior general of the Society of the Divine Word; Father Gian Battista Zanchi, superior general of P.I.M.E.; and Sister Marie Remedios, superior general of the Canossian Sisters.

      * * *

      Thai Bishop Urges End to Violence and Bias Against Women

      Prostitution and Sex Tourism Involve 2 Million, Including Children

      BANGKOK, Thailand, MARCH 16, 2003 (ZENIT.org-Fides).- Catholics must work to eliminate violence and discrimination against women, says the president of the Thai bishops' Commission for Women's Issues.

      In a pastoral letter to Thai Catholics, Bishop Lawrence Thienchai Samanchit of Chanthaburi quoted John Paul II's postsynodal exhortation "Ecclesia in Asia," which recalls that the condition of women in Asia is still a serious problem.

      "Discrimination and violence begins at home and continues at work also within the legal system: Many women are treated like objects, in prostitution, tourism and the entertainment business," the bishop wrote.

      "Women's role in society is often undervalued or ignored and this leads to the spiritual impoverishment of humanity," he said, adding that the local Churches in Asia should promote activities to protect women.

      In 2000 the Thai bishops' conference set up a Commission for Women's Issues with the task of safeguarding women's rights and dignity and at the same time encouraging women to take part in the life of the Church and society.

      Commission secretary Chuensuk Arsaitrumkulha said the panel organizes training courses in theology for women, and meetings with major seminarians to increase awareness of discrimination against women. It also helps dioceses form women's groups to promote income-earning activities.

      Arsaitrumkulha said the bishop's letter reflects faithfully the situation in Thailand, where prostitution and sex tourism involve more than 2 million women and children.

      Another major problem for women in Thailand is HIV/AIDS. The country is the most affected in Asia. The World Health Organization reports that HIV/AIDS in Thailand leads to the death of about 46,000 people a year, producing 95,000 new orphans under age 5.

      * * *

      Sant'Egidio Invited to Mediate in Central African War

      BANGUI, Central African Republic, MARCH 16, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Rome-based Community of Sant'Egidio has been invited to mediate in the conflict that is dividing the Central African Republic.

      Sant'Egidio is asked to mediate President Ange Felix Patassé, and former Chief of Staff Francois Bozizé, leader of the rebels, who last Oct. 25 tried to topple the president. The rebels now control more than half the country.

      Both sides will meet in Rome for the first phase of a "national dialogue" aimed at settling the dispute. A date for the talks remains to be confirmed.

      Sant'Egidio will initiate the national dialogue, which Patassé himself supports, the Misna missionary agency reported. Sant'Egidio previously helped mediate peace talks for Mozambique.

      Bishop Paulin Pomodino, president of the Central African episcopal conference, and coordinator of the national dialogue, announced the news of the Rome meeting over Bangui radio.

      * * *

      Kenya Missionaries Launching a "Comboni Year"

      NAIROBI, Kenya, MARCH 16, 2003 (Zenit.org).- In anticipation of the Oct. 5 canonization of their founder Daniel Comboni, members of the institutes he founded are launching a "Comboni Year," Catholic Information Service for Africa reported.

      A eucharistic celebration was scheduled for today in Nairobi's Holy Family Basilica to open the year. Both the male Comboni Missionaries Order and their Comboni Missionary Sisters are involved.

      In a related development, Archbishop Gabriel Zubeir Wako of Khartoum, Sudan, has launched a campaign for a Comboni University of the Sudan as "a gift to the Sudan on the occasion of the canonization of Bishop Daniel Comboni."

      Daniel Comboni, first bishop of Central Africa, died in Khartoum in 1881 at age 50. He had worked for a renewed African society grounded on the Gospel.

      He strongly believed in the ability of Africans to evangelize their own brothers and sisters. Thus he is regarded as one of the "Fathers of the Faith in Africa."

      "I would like to have a hundred tongues and a hundred hearts to speak for Africa," he wrote. "No torment will shake me, no labor discourage me, no difficulty stop me."

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/031703.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      Our Father Movie
      http://www.dayspring.com/movies/webmovies/lordsprayer.html

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 14 of 961 Catholic Yahoo Groups, with over 600 subscriptions, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important to us helping us grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions you post. When posting
      questions please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk".Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization and considers
      publishing articles without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All materials submitted and published are copyright protected in accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News.

      Tell a friend.

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.
      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: http://
      groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News. All correspondence should be sent to: Roman-Catholic-News-owner@yahoogroups.com