  • John N. Lupia <jlupia2@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003

      FRIDAY 28 February 2003

      • Pope and Aznar Concur on Need for U.N. Role in Crisis
      • John Paul II and Iranian Envoy Discuss Mideast
      • Archbishop Martino Highlights Church's Contribution to Peace
      • Science Must Advance with Ethical Guidance, Says Bishop Sgreccia
      • Final Stage Nears in Preparation for 12 Canonizations
      • War Would Be Unjustified, Says U.S. Bishop
      • Monsignor Giussani Views the Debates over Iraq
      • New Anglican Leader Says John Paul II Inspired Him
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      Pope and Aznar Concur on Need for U.N. Role in Crisis

      John Paul II Urges "Peaceful Initiatives"

      VATICAN CITY, FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II appealed to Spanish Prime Minister José María Aznar and all parties involved in the Iraqi crisis for "peaceful initiatives ... inspired by international law."

      The "cordial conversation," as it was described in a statement by Vatican spokesman Joaquín Navarro-Valls, was held today in the Pope's private library. It lasted a half-hour and served to underline that "the situation that has been created in Iraq is serious and that there must be a solution."

      During the private audience, the Holy Father expressed the hope "that all parties involved -- without exception -- will make just decisions and undertake peaceful initiatives that are efficacious and that conform to justice, inspired by international law and ethical principles," Navarro-Valls continued.

      For his part, the "head of the Spanish government explained the path of action followed up to now by Spain in face of the Iraqi crisis, illustrating, in particular, the danger of terrorism and, therefore, the need for a common action on the part of the United Nations."

      "On these matters, a convergence of positions with the Holy See was noted," the Vatican spokesman stressed.

      Spain is a non-permanent member of the U.N. Security Council and supports the draft of the second resolution on the crisis presented Monday by the United States and the United Kingdom, which provides for the use of force to disarm Iraq.

      Aznar later met with Cardinal Angelo Sodano, Vatican secretary of state, and Archbishop Jean-Louis Tauran, secretary for relations with states.

      Lastly, the Vatican statement reveals that during these meetings "they examined several aspects of the European reality, with particular attention to the Constitutional Treaty of the European Union."

      The Holy See is calling for the recognition of the status of religious communities within the European Union, as well as the contribution made by Christianity in the formation of values that are integral to Europe's identity.

      Aznar first visited the Vatican as head of the Spanish government in March 1997.

      * * *

      John Paul II and Iranian Envoy Discuss Mideast

      VATICAN CITY, FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II and a special envoy of Iran's president huddled for talks that focused "on the need to safeguard peace in the Middle East region."

      At the private meeting in the Vatican, Seyyed Mohammed Reza Khatami, vice president of Iran's Assembly of Experts, brought a message from his brother, President Mohammed Khatami, to the Pope "on this very serious subject," the Vatican Press Office said in a statement.

      Vatican spokesman Joaquín Navarro-Valls said that there was "a productive dialogue concerning the living conditions and activities of the Catholic communities in the country."

      The Iranian representative then met with Cardinal Angelo Sodano, secretary of state, and Archbishop Jean-Louis Tauran, secretary for relations with states.

      John Paul II has given support to Khatami's initiative of "Dialogue Between Civilizations and Cultures," ever since it was explained to him personally in the Vatican in 1998.

      Khatami was the author of the proposal to the United Nations to proclaim 2001 the Year of Dialogue Between Civilizations.

      Of Iran's more than 66.5 million inhabitants, 99% are Muslim, the majority Shiite. The Christian community numbers some 250,000 people.

      * * *

      Archbishop Martino Highlights Church's Contribution to Peace

      President of Council for Justice and Peace Points Out 4 Key Areas

      VATICAN CITY, FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- To the question, " What concrete contribution can the Church make to the cause of peace?" a Vatican official has four answers.

      Archbishop Renato Martino, president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, pointed to the Church's work of evangelization and teaching, in four areas.

      In the first place, the Church works for peace by promoting "the development of the poorest and neediest peoples," because, as Pope Paul VI explained, "development is the new name of peace," Archbishop Martino told a seminar in Rome today.

      Second, the former Vatican permanent observer at the United Nations mentioned the "ecclesial diplomatic" interventions directed to "sustaining and intensifying the defense of the human rights of all persons, especially the weakest," because, as Pope John XXIII said in the encyclical "Pacem in Terris," "there can be no peace without respect and the realization of these rights."

      Third, Archbishop Martino illustrated the pacifying action of the Church, which seeks to "prohibit or at least limit the proliferation of weapons, origin of the unleashing of wars in human history."

      Lastly, the Italian archbishop described the "ecclesial interventions oriented to favoring the settlement of ongoing conflicts and the prevention of other possible conflicts."

      At the end of his address, in a seminar organized by Catholic Action's Giuseppe Toniolo Institute of International Law for Peace, the archbishop explained that this is precisely the work that John Paul II is carrying out to "remove from the horizon drenched in blood the terrible threat of a war that could strike the Middle East."

      * * *

      Science Must Advance with Ethical Guidance, Says Bishop Sgreccia

      Addresses Pontifical Academy for Life

      VATICAN CITY, FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Science cannot be without ethical judgment because research in areas such as biomedicine and biotechnology can have consequences for everyone, says a Vatican official.

      Bishop Elio Sgreccia, vice president of the Pontifical Academy for Life, expressed this conviction Wednesday when he addressed the closing phase of the works of the 9th General Assembly. The assembly focused on the theme "Ethics in Biomedical Research."

      Bishop Sgreccia observed that the magisterium of the Church counts on the contribution of scientists and researchers -- who are responsible for operating within determined ethical margins, and who should keep man at the center "as subject and beneficiary of research."

      The Vatican official stressed that the freedom and autonomy of scientists is not questioned by the Church's anthropological view because "the values are not foreign to freedom."

      In this connection, Bishop Sgreccia affirmed that "man must be responsible for his neighbor and work oriented to the good of the one next to him."

      This view, applied to the sphere of bioethics and research in the genetic field, implies that "one cannot uphold" the thesis of the autonomy of science in regard to ethical judgment because "research in the biomedical and biotechnological sector can have dimensions and consequences of planetary relevance," he explained.

      "The consent of individuals subjected to experiments, the duty of the state to promote research, the necessity of links between public and private research institutions, and respect for minorities [are] ... other elements that must influence the appraisal of scientific research policies," the bishop stressed.

      * * *

      Final Stage Nears in Preparation for 12 Canonizations

      5 of Them Will Be So Honored by the Pope in Madrid

      VATICAN CITY, FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A public ordinary consistory here on March 7 will mark the final preparatory stage leading up to the canonization of 12 blessed.

      Five of the 12 are Spanish and will be canonized by the Pope during his visit to Madrid from May 3-4. Four are Italian, two Polish, and one is Dutch.

      The causes of canonization are for the following:

      -- Pedro Poveda Castroverde (1874-1936), priest, martyr, founder of the Teresian Association (Spain);

      -- Jozef Sebastian Pelczar (1842-1924), bishop, founder of the Congregation of the Servants of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Poland);

      -- Daniele Comboni (1831-1881), bishop, founder of the Congregation of the Combonian Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and the Combonian Holy Mother Missionary Sisters of Nigrizia (Italy);

      -- Arnold Janssen (1837-1909), priest, founder of the Society of the Divine Word, the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters, Servants of the Holy Spirit and the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Holy Spirit of Perpetual Adoration (Netherlands);

      -- José María Rubio y Peralta (1864-1929), priest, of the Society of Jesus (Spain);

      -- Joseph Freinademetz (1852-1909), priest, of the Society of the Divine Word (Italy);

      -- Urszula Ledochowska, nee Julia Maria (1865-1939), virgin, foundress of the Ursuline Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Agony (Poland);

      -- Genoveva Torres Morales (1870-1956), virgin, foundress of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of the Holy Angels (Spain);

      -- Maria de Mattias (1805-1866), virgin, foundress of the Congregation of the Adoring Sisters of the Blood of Christ (Italy);

      -- Angela de la Cruz, nee María de los Angeles Guerrero González (1846-1932), virgin, foundress of the Sisters of the Company of the Cross (Spain);

      -- Virginia Centurione Bracelli (1587-1651), widow, foundress of the Sisters of Our Lady of Refuge on Mount Calvary (Italy);

      -- María Maravillas de Jesus, nee Pidal y Chico de Guzmán (1891-1974), virgin, of the Order of Discalced Carmelites (Spain).

      * * *

      War Would Be Unjustified, Says U.S. Bishop

      Warns of Troubling Moral Precedents

      WASHINGTON, D.C., FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The president of the U.S. bishops' conference says it is hard to justify a war against Iraq, given the lack of clear evidence linking Baghdad to an imminent and grave attack or the Sept. 11 attacks.

      In a statement published Wednesday, Bishop Wilton Gregory reiterated some of the American bishops' reservations about a possible U.S.-led attack against the Saddam Hussein regime.

      "This is a time to reaffirm and raise again the serious ethical questions and concerns our conference has expressed in a letter to President Bush last September and in a major statement of the full body of bishops last November," Bishop Gregory wrote.

      "We have no illusions about the behavior and intentions of, or dangers posed by, the Iraqi government," he said. "We join with Pope John Paul II in insisting that Iraq make 'concrete commitments' to meet the legitimate demands of the international community and to avoid war."

      He continued: "Our bishops' conference continues to question the moral legitimacy of any pre-emptive, unilateral use of military force to overthrow the government of Iraq."

      "To permit pre-emptive or preventive uses of military force to overthrow threatening or hostile regimes would create deeply troubling moral and legal precedents," the bishop added. "Based on the facts that are known, it is difficult to justify resort to war against Iraq, lacking clear and adequate evidence of an imminent attack of a grave nature or Iraq's involvement in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11. With the Holy See and many religious leaders throughout the world, we believe that resort to war would not meet the strict
      conditions in Catholic teaching for the use of military force."

      Bishop Gregory continued: "In our judgment, resort to war in this case should have broad international support. As crucial decisions draw near, we join the Holy See in once again urging all leaders to step back from the brink of war and to continue to work through the United Nations to contain, deter and disarm Iraq."

      "If there is armed conflict," he said, "we must be prepared for all of its implications and its aftermath. An already long-suffering Iraqi population could face terrible new burdens, and a region already full of conflict and refugees could see more conflict and many more refugees, with ethnic and religious minorities particularly vulnerable.

      "A postwar Iraq would require a long-term commitment to reconstruction, humanitarian and refugee assistance, and establishment of a stable, democratic government at a time when the U.S. federal budget is overwhelmed by increased defense spending and the costs of war."

      "As pastors and teachers, we understand that there are no easy answers," Bishop Gregory observed. "People of good will may differ on how traditional norms apply in this situation."

      He added: "Our hearts and prayers go out especially to those who may bear the burden of these terrible choices -- the men and women of our armed forces and their families, the people of Iraq, and the leaders of our nation and world who face momentous decisions of life and death, of war and peace."

      Near the conclusion, the bishop said: "At times like these, we turn to the Lord and ask for wisdom and courage. We Christians are called to be 'sentinels of peace,' the Holy Father reminds us. We join with him in urging Catholics to dedicate fasting on Ash Wednesday for 'the conversion of hearts and the long-range vision of just decisions to resolve disputes with adequate and peaceful means.'"

      * * *

      Monsignor Giussani Views the Debates over Iraq

      Communion-and-Liberation Founder Points Up Need for Education

      MILAN, Italy, FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The debates over what to do about Iraq are linked, says the founder of Communion and Liberation, to an "educational problem."

      Monsignor Luigi Giussani summarized the debate on Tuesday in a letter to the director of the newspaper Corriere della Sera.

      "It is true that all nations must submit to the judgment of the U.N.," he wrote, "but given that it seems impossible to reach a satisfactory decision for both sides, then Iraq could say: 'As the U.N. is at the service of the U.S. and England, we will not respect its decisions'; and, on the other hand, the U.S. and England could say: 'We will respect the U.N. only if it supports our positions.'"

      "In this way, both would have their reasons to say: 'Let the war happen,'" added the founder of the ecclesial movement.

      He continued: "To come out of such a terrible equivocation, it is necessary to acknowledge that it is not enough to discuss or agree -- as certain peace 'lovers' maintain, who later turn out to be the worst warmongers -- because each one of the belligerents starts from the conviction that the other wants the war to defend or destroy a primacy of power."

      "The solution is not in aligning oneself with one or another band," Monsignor Giussani wrote. "When society finds itself at a decisive crossroads, approval or condemnation, in the first place, it should be aware of the urgency to educate young people and adults, that is, all men, because we all need to enhance our capacity for justice and goodness.

      "If it refuses to educate in a true appreciation of man and, therefore, in real justice, humanity remains trapped by the disasters that it itself courts. And it sees itself obliged to address them by taking recourse to instruments of death to justify the same error it seeks to combat: the use of war."

      "It is really about an educational problem and the only one who says so is the Pope, as the court that is needed to judge another calls for an education in real unity and justice," the monsignor concluded.

      * * *

      New Anglican Leader Says John Paul II Inspired Him

      Rowan Williams Praises Pope's Vision of the Human Person

      ROME, FEB. 27, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The new Anglican archbishop of Canterbury said he was inspired by John Paul II's vision of the human person.

      In an interview with Vatican Radio, Rowan Williams said the Pope had outlined a specific vision "on the nature of the human person in the light of Christian theology, and much of what he's written has been an inspiration for me."

      A theologian and former Welsh archbishop, Dr. Williams was enthroned in Canterbury Cathedral today at the start of his public ministry as head of the worldwide Anglican Communion.

      He praised John Paul II for highlighting the common ground shared by Catholics and Anglicans and for "his extraordinary depth of understanding of those theological fundamentals."

      On the Iraqi crisis, the Anglican leader told Vatican Radio it is still possible to avoid a military solution: "I, like other Christian leaders, will want to bring whatever influence we have to bear on the making of that decision, but I still believe it's a decision that is open."

      Asked if he will have to tone down his activism in his new job -- he was arrested in the 1980s during an Ash Wednesday prayer vigil inside a U.S. airbase in Cambridge, England -- Dr. Williams said it was "as a mark of penitence for the violence we were all caught up in. That may not be appropriate for an archbishop and I recognize that."

      * * *

      New Archbishop of Canterbury Is Enthroned

      http://www.Beliefnet.com/story/122/story_12204_1.html

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings aswell as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/022803.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      Our Father Movie
      http://www.dayspring.com/movies/webmovies/lordsprayer.html

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 13 of 961 Catholic Yahoo Groups, with over 600 subscriptions, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important to us helping us grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions you post. When posting
      questions please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk". Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization and considers
      publishing articles without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All materials submitted and published are copyright protected in accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News.

      Tell a friend.

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long
      rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.
      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: http://
      groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News. All correspondence should be sent to: Roman-Catholic-News-owner@yahoogroups.com