  • John N. Lupia <jlupia2@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003

      SATURDAY 1 February 2003

      • CHURCHES ESTABLISH JOINT COMMISSION FOR THEOLOGICAL
      DIALOGUE
      • HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR FEBRUARY
      • AUDIENCES
      • OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS
      • Muslim Prime Minister of Lebanon Pays His Respects to Pope
      • Mystical Poetry as Contemplation of the Love of God
      • Vatican Newspaper Opposes "Preventive War" on Iraq
      • Community of the Beatitudes Gets Official Church Recognition
      • Eritrea Threatened by Famine
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF MARY

      CHURCHES ESTABLISH JOINT COMMISSION FOR THEOLOGICAL DIALOGUE

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 31, 2003 - A communique was published this afternoon, stating that "Catholic and Oriental Orthodox representatives, delegated by their Churches as members of the Preparatory Committee for the Catholic Church-Oriental Orthodox Churches International Joint Commission for Dialogue, met January 27-29 under the chairmanship of Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and Metropolitan Amba Bishoy of Damiette of the Coptic Orthodox Church."

      "The meeting was held in Rome at the offices of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, in response to a letter from Cardinal Kasper, dated September 10, 2002 and addressed to all the heads of the Oriental Orthodox Churches, inviting them to engage in an official dialogue with the Catholic Church. The Oriental Orthodox Churches are comprised of: Coptic Orthodox Church, Syrian Orthodox Church, Armenian Apostolic Church (Catholicosate of all Armenians), Armenian Apostolic Church (Catholicosate of Cilicia), Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church and Eritrean
      Orthodox Church.

      "In his opening address, Cardinal Kasper welcomed the participants by saying. 'I greatly appreciate your willingness to take part in this meeting, which hopefully may become a new and promising step in our journey towards full communion'. Referring to the work accomplished in the past, he stated: 'This meeting is not the first, nor will it be the last along the path of our ecumenical venture. Much has been achieved in previous years, and still more remains to be done in the years to come'."

      "The Preparatory Committee officially established the rules of membership of the Catholic Church-Oriental Orthodox Churches International Joint Commission for Dialogue and set up the work plan, agenda, membership, procedures, methodologies and timetable for the Joint Commission. The first meeting of this Joint Commission is foreseen for the end of January 2004."

      * * *

      HOLY FATHER'S PRAYER INTENTIONS FOR FEBRUARY

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 31, 2003 (VIS) - The Holy Father's general prayer intention for February is: "That all Christians, sensitive to the distressing condition of the peoples who are still suffering from hunger and thirst, may be moved to greater solidarity towards their brothers."

      His mission intention is: "That the Church in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei, while remaining open to dialogue with the followers of the other religions may remain faithful to its own exacting evangelizing mission."

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 31, 2003 (VIS) - Today the Holy Father received in separate audiences:

      - Rafic Hariri, prime minister of Lebanon, accompanied by his wife and an entourage.

      - Five prelates from the National Conference of Bishops of Brazil(Midwestern and Northern Regions II) on their "ad limina" visit:

      - Archbishop Maurilo Sebastiao Ramos Krieger, S.C.I. of Florianapolis.

      - Archbishop Alberto Taveira Correa of Palmas.

      - Archbishop Jayme Henrique Chemello of Pelotas.

      - Bishop Lino Vomboemmel, O.F.M., of Santarem.

      - Bishop Aloisio Hilario de Pinho, F.D.P., of Jatai.

      - Cardinal Michele Giordano, archbishop of Naples, Italy and an entourage.

      - Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops.

      VATICAN CITY, JAN 31, 2003 (VIS) - The Holy Father appointed Archbishop Antonio Ciliberti of Matera-Irsina, Italy as metropolitan archbishop of Catanzaro-Squillace (area 1,604, population 249,426, Catholics 245,313, priests 195, permanent deacons 19, religious 290), Italy. The Holy Father accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the same archdiocese presented by Archbishop Antonio Cantisani upon having reached the age limit.

      * * *

      Muslim Prime Minister of Lebanon Pays His Respects to Pope

      Hariri Says Islam and Extremism Are Not Synonymous

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II received in audience Rafiq Hariri, the Muslim president of the Lebanese Council of Ministers, who arrived in part to show his respect to the Pope.

      In statements to Vatican Radio, Prime Minister Hariri explained that he came to Rome today because the Lebanese Council "must maintain close relations with the Vatican."

      "I also wished to come to manifest my respect to John Paul II, whom I have esteemed for the last 10 years," he said. "It was a great honor for us when the Pope came to Lebanon and paid us a visit."

      The Holy Father visited the Lebanon in May 1997 and was warmly welcomed by Catholics and Muslims alike. Catholics account for about 25% of the nation's 3 million inhabitants. Muslims are the majority.

      The Prime Minister, who arrived at the Vatican with his wife and entourage, said: "The political issues that we wish to discuss with those who are responsible in the Vatican are primarily the question of Iraq and of peace in the Middle East."

      "There is much talk of Islam, of fundamentalism and extremism," he told Vatican Radio. "But the latter is not Islam; it is the attitude of mad people who have nothing to do with our faith. We firmly believe that Islam is a religion that asks for tolerance, peaceful coexistence and respect for one's neighbor."

      Hariri continued: "Some talk about a struggle among Christians, Muslims and Jews, and between Christianity and Judaism. I cannot understand how it would be possible for a Muslim to have the right to marry a Christian or Jewish woman and to have children by this woman and then regard the uncle of these children -- whether Jew or Christian -- as the very enemy. This cannot be right! It cannot work!

      "Therefore, so long as we allow, as has happened in the course of history, that a family be formed -- namely, the highest expression of relations between persons -- and that a family be formed of a Muslim man and a Christian or Jewish woman, this will represent the highest expression of interpersonal relations."

      "We are not in conflict with anyone," Hariri added. "We respect the other religions, we respect Christianity, we respect Judaism."

      * * *

      Mystical Poetry as Contemplation of the Love of God

      Interview with J.J. Aleixandre, Recipient of International Award

      MADRID, Spain, JAN. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- José Javier Aleixandre is the latest winner of the Fernando Rielo International Award for mystical poetry. The prize work is centered on belief in God, the reality of death, and the presence of God in daily life.

      Below, Aleixandre discusses the world of mystical poetry, distinguishes it from the religious, and presents it as appropriate language to interrelate spiritual movements.

      José Javier Aleixandre Ybargüen, born in 1924, has received some 50 literary awards. He has a licentiate in journalism and is president of the =
      Spanish Association of Authors and Writers (AEAE).

      Q: What is mystical poetry?

      Aleixandre: Fernando Rielo, creator and sponsor, through the foundation that bears his name, [...] said that mystical poetry consists in expressing with sufficient poetic skill the different ways of intimate personal experience that, in love and pain, the soul has of its union with God.

      I will dare to summarize this apt definition with this, perhaps insufficient, phrase: Mystical poetry is that poetry in which God is the sole object of the compass.

      Q: How is it distinguished from religious poetry?

      Aleixandre: The truth, really, is that I am not a deductive and reasoning man, but a poet that is led by his intuition. Therefore, I am not the most qualified person to explain this difference.

      I think, intuitively I reiterate, that religious poetry is description and mystical poetry is contemplation -- description, of course, of spiritual feelings, and contemplation, needless to say, of the Supreme Good.

      Q: Speaking poetically, do you consider yourself a mystic?

      Aleixandre: No. Absolutely not. Would that it were so! If it were so, I would have a total and exclusive consecration to Supreme Love insofar as possible in this life -- these are words of Fernando Rielo -- and in my poetry there are many different feelings and very different aesthetic intentions expressed.

      One can say that St. Teresa of Jesus and St. John of the Cross, whom I admire beyond all others when they express in verse their love of God above all things, are mystics in their poetry. But I cannot compare myself to them not even remotely -- not just as mystics, but also as poets.

      Therefore, if I said that I consider myself a mystical poet I would be deceiving others and also myself. What happens in much of my poetic work, which already amounts to more than 30,000 verses, sometimes in whole books, is that I frequently address spiritual topics, with more or less ability, but always with sincerity.

      Q: What topics inspired you to write "Not to Die Completely," the work that won the Rielo award?

      Aleixandre: The book is divided in three parts. The first and principal part explores, so to speak, the love of God in the Creed, fundamental source of =
      Catholic belief, in the course of 14 chapters.

      It is a long poem in which the most important thesis is that I believe in God, that I need God to exist and to believe in him, if I don't want to die completely when I die.

      The last part, also long but not as long as the first, is a eucharistic poem in which God calls me incessantly, but I resist until finally I am drawn by the irresistible magnet of his love.

      The central part brings together, instead, 13 poems in consonant rhyme -- two sonnets and 11 heptasyllable 10-line stanzas -- that study God's daily presence in the usual moments of life and in relation to the loved ones around me.

      But above all, as the prologue of the book, a [...] poem also justifies my enormous need to come close to God, because as it begins by saying, "no matter how much time I have, I do not have much time left, Lord."

      * * *

      Vatican Newspaper Opposes "Preventive War" on Iraq

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- L'Osservatore Romano strongly criticized the concept of a "preventive war" and drew attention to the plight of the Iraqi people.

      "To define a preventive war as an act of sensibleness means not to have or not to know how to exercise the intelligence that would be necessary at certain levels," the semiofficial Vatican newspaper states in Saturday's Italian edition.

      The article criticizes the thesis of Italian Defense Minister Antonio Martino, who Thursday defended the concept of a preventive war. He also faulted the position of several Church figures on the possible war.

      The newspaper particularly opposes the Defense Minister's affirmations, according to which there is no "alternative" to "preventive armed intervention."

      In another article, it states that "the international media, determined to understand in the nuances of diplomatic statements the possible development of the Iraqi situation, often forget to concentrate attention on the principal victim of the crisis: the civilian population."

      "Tested by a long embargo and vexed by a dictatorial regime, the Iraqi people [have] lived for months under the exhausting threat of a conflict," it says.

      This suffering becomes more acute "daily by the announcements of imminent armed attacks and deferments to an indefinite time," the article adds.

      * * *

      Community of the Beatitudes Gets Official Church Recognition

      Founded in 1974 by Former French Protestant Pastor

      VATICAN CITY, JAN. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See officially recognized the Community of the Beatitudes, an ecclesial reality which arose out of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal.

      The decree of recognition was handed to the community today on behalf of John Paul II by Cardinal James Stafford, president of the Pontifical Council for the Laity, at the latter's headquarters in Rome.

      According to the recognition, henceforth the community will be an "international private association of faithful of pontifical right with juridical personality."

      In his address, the U.S. cardinal emphasized the contemplative and missionary aspects of the community, founded in 1974 by Ephraim Croissant, a former French Protestant pastor who converted to Catholicism, and by his wife, Josette, together with another couple.

      "Together with the life of prayer, your missionary and charitable vocation for the poorest contributes to make of the Community of the Beatitudes an instrument of Christian formation and evangelization in the particular churches," Cardinal Stafford said.

      For his part, Ephraim Croissant responded: "Our desire has always been to serve the Church, in the last place, and this recognition confirms this option to me, which no one can take away from us."

      The community comprises lay people, consecrated individuals and priests, and celibates and families who live in community.

      The community is active in 32 countries. It has 46 houses in Europe, 11 in Africa, seven in Asia, three in Latin America, three in North America, two in Oceania, and three in the Middle East.

      In total, 1,500 religious brothers and sisters live in residential community. Associated with them is a community known as the Family of the Beatitudes.

      The community's spirituality is a call to live the mystery of the Transfiguration through union with Jesus in his paschal mystery. It emphasizes a life of prayer (especially eucharistic adoration), obedience and poverty.

      * * *

      Eritrea Threatened by Famine

      ASMARA, Eritrea, JAN. 31, 2003 (Zenit.org).- The East African nation of Eritrea is on the brink of catastrophe, threatened by famine.

      The situation is such that Bishop Abune Menghesteab Tesfamariam of Asmara, the capital, has made an urgent appeal for help for 1.4 million Eritreans, the majority elderly people, women and children.

      "We are very concerned about our brothers," he said in statements reported by Misna. "We pray for you to be their and our voice. Even a little part of the Western budget would be enough to save millions of people."

      Erratic rains are threatening to bring famine to the populations of Keren, Assab and Barentu. Catholic missions are swamped with aid requests.

      "To confront this situation, 601,200 tons of grain are necessary for 2003; the people at risk are estimated at around 2.5 million," Bishop Tesfamariam said.

      The food shortage is blamed on last year's erratic weather. Scarce rains from March to June, followed by heavy rains from June to September, hurt the crops. The 2002 harvest was the lowest since 1993, while cattle were reduced 20% from a year earlier.

      The nation of 4.4 million has been able to produce only 40% of the food it needs. The rest is imported and donated by aid agencies.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/020103.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 13 of 954 Catholic Yahoo Groups, with over 600 subscriptions, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important to us helping us grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions you post. When posting
      questions please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk". Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization and considers
      publishing articles without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All materials submitted and published are copyright protected in accordance to ==the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News.

      Tell a friend.

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      © Copyright 2003 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: http://
      groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News. All correspondence should be sent to: Roman-Catholic-News-owner@yahoogroups.com