    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002

      TUESDAY 5 November 2002

      • John Paul II (a.k.a. Karol Wojtyla) Celebrates Name Day
      • U.S. Crisis Linked to Lack of Formation in the Faith
      • In Colombia, Church Offers Help in Peace Talks
      • Pro-life Awareness Raised for Elections in U.S.
      • Cardinal Re to Visits Chiapas on Behalf of Pope
      • Franciscans Plan for 750th Anniversary of St. Clare's Death
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      John Paul II (a.k.a. Karol Wojtyla) Celebrates Name Day

      Congratulates His Namesake, the President of Italy

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 4, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The Vatican went on holiday as John Paul II celebrated his name day by meeting with a group of Polish pilgrims and inviting 11 senior cardinals to a special celebration.

      In observing the liturgical memorial of St. Charles Borromeo today, Pope Karol (Charles, in Polish) telephoned his namesake, Carlo Ciampi, the president of Italy, to wish him a happy feast day. Both leaders were born in 1920.

      As customary on this day, the Holy Father received 300 Polish pilgrims in the Clementine Hall of the Apostolic Palace, who had come to Rome to congratulate him and to assure him of their prayers.

      "Every day I feel" the benefits of the prayers, a smiling Pope told them.

      John Paul II explained that a name day recalls the day of baptism, when one receives the name of a patron.

      "With you, I thank God for the gift of faith that I received at baptism," the Pope said to his compatriots.

      Then, visibly moved, the Holy Father thanked his late parents, Karol Wojtyla, a military man in the Austro-Hungarian army, and his mother, Emilia Kaczorowsky, who transmitted to him the gift of faith. The Pontiff said he hoped that all children might enjoy this same experience.

      On Sunday, at his Angelus address, the Holy Father thanked everyone publicly for the congratulatory messages and prayers he received for his name day.

      This morning, John Paul II took part in a simple celebratory meeting with 11 cardinals who have passed their 80th birthday and worked in the Roman Curia.

      The cardinals were:

      -- Opilio Rossi, 92, former president of the Pontifical Committee for International Eucharistic Congresses;

      -- Antonio Innocenti, 87, and José Sanchez, 82, former prefects of the Congregation for the Clergy;

      -- Paul Augustin Mayer, 91, and Antonio Javierre Ortas, 81, former prefects of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments;

      -- Alfons M. Stickler, 92, and Luigi Poggi, 84, both former archivists and librarians of the Holy Roman Church;

      -- Angelo Felici, 83, former prefect of the Congregation for Sainthood Causes;

      -- Giovanni Canestri, 84, former archbishop of Genoa;

      -- Fiorenzo Angelini, 86, president of the Pontifical Council for Health Care Workers; and

      -- Giovanni Cheli, 84, former president of the Pontifical Council for Migrants and Travelers.

      On Tuesday, John Paul II will preside over a Mass in St. Peter's Basilica for the repose of the souls of cardinals and bishops who died during the past year.

      * * *

      U.S. Crisis Linked to Lack of Formation in the Faith

      Harvard's Mary Ann Glendon Points to Roots of Problems

      ROME, NOV. 4, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Mary Ann Glendon believes the sex-abuse scandals involving priests in the United States points up a key lesson: the need for formation.

      Glendon, a Harvard law professor and John Paul II's delegate at the World Conference on Woman, said she agreed with theologian Father Richard John Neuhaus, editor in chief of First Things magazine, "when he says that the crisis of 2002 is threefold: fidelity, fidelity and fidelity."

      "But, perhaps because I'm a teacher, it seems to me that the problem is not so much fidelity as it is formation, formation and formation -- formation of our theologians, formation of our religious educators, and thus formation of parents," Glendon said.

      The professor made her comments today at a conference at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical Athenaeum on the theme "Ecclesia in America: Reform, Renewal and the Role of the Laity in a Time of Turbulence" (see the=
      Forum section).

      She acknowledged that Catholics have long faced problems in the United States.

      "When Catholic immigrants began arriving in great numbers, that Puritan anti-Catholicism fused with nativism and erupted into violence," Glendon said. "In
      1834, an angry mob in Boston burned an Ursuline convent to the ground while police and firemen stood by and watched."

      "The national best seller in 1836 was a book purporting to be the true-life confessions of an ex-nun -- it contained sensational revelations of sexual misconduct by Catholic nuns and priests," the professor continued.

      "This book, 'The Awful Disclosures of the Hotel Dieu Nunnery, by Maria Monk,' was a complete fabrication, but it sold 300,000 copies and helped to inflame anti-Catholic passions," she said. "The following year, 1837, arsonists destroyed most of Boston's Irish quarter, and similar atrocities were repeated across the country.

      "But the immigrants kept pouring in -- from Ireland, Italy, Germany, Poland and other parts of Eastern Europe. And by the turn of the century, the Roman Catholic Church was the country's largest and fastest growing religious group, with 12 million adherents. Faced with exclusion and discrimination, those immigrant Catholics built their own separate set of primary and high schools, hospitals and colleges. They formed countless fraternal, social, charitable and professional organizations -- Catholic lawyers, Catholic doctors, Catholic labor guilds."

      Glendon pointed out the crisis of society and of Catholics at the end of the 1960s.

      "The 1960s marked the beginning of a breakdown in sexual mores and a rise in family disruption, accompanied by a culture of dissent as many tried to rationalize their departures from moral norms," she said. "The developed nations were engaged in a massive social experiment, for which neither the Church nor the societies in question were prepared.

      "We hardly noticed that many of us Catholics were developing a kind of schizophrenia -- putting our spiritual lives in one compartment and our daily activities in the world of work in another. We hardly noticed how many Catholics were beginning to treat their religion as an entirely private matter, and to adopt a pick-and-choose approach to doctrine."

      Regarding a crisis identified with the Church in recent months -- that of clerical sexual abuse -- Glendon raised a skeptical note.

      "For months, the press created a climate of hysteria by describing the story as a pedophilia crisis, when in fact only a tiny minority of the reported cases involved pedophiles -- abusers of pre-pubescent children -- as distinct from homosexual relations with teen-aged boys," she explained.

      "For months, and to this day, the media has singled out the Catholic Church as a special locus of sexual abuse of minors, whereas all the studies indicate that the incidence of these types of misconduct is actually lower among Catholic priests, than among other groups who have access to young children," law professor Glendon indicated.

      Quoting John Paul II's postsynodal apostolic exhortation "Ecclesia in America," Glendon said: "America needs lay Christians able to assume positions of leadership in society.

      "It is urgent to train men and women who, in keeping with their vocations, can
      influence public life and direct it to the common good. That's quite a challenge. In a sense, the time has never been better for Catholics in the U.S. to take up that challenge."

      "There are nearly 64 million of us -- almost a fifth of the U.S. population," Glendon said. "And Catholics have arrived -- they have gained enormous influence in social, professional, cultural and political life. One would think that ought to be enough leaven to raise the social loaf."

      * * *

      In Colombia, Church Offers Help in Peace Talks

      Cardinal Hopes for Process Between Government and Paramilitary Groups

      BOGOTA, Colombia, NOV. 4, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The Catholic Church in Colombia expressed its willingness to promote an eventual peace process between the government and paramilitary groups that are battling with guerrillas.

      Cardinal Pedro Rubiano, archbishop of Bogota and president of the episcopal conference, told Reuters he hopes the conflicting parties commit themselves to reconciliation.

      Since September, the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC), which includes some 10,000 combatants, said that it has been working on a unified cease-fire proposal and strict compliance with international humanitarian law.

      Cardinal Rubiano said: "I call not only on paramilitaries but on FARC and ELN rebels so that they understand that what the country wants is that we all recognize each other as sons of the same homeland, with the possibility of a reconciliation, and that we all get to work (...) so that the country we dream about will become a reality."

      Earlier, top AUC leader Carlos Castaño told Reuters that his organization was willing to initiate a peace process with President Alvaro Uribe's government, if the latter commits itself to guarantee security and "social investment" in the paramilitary-controlled areas.

      Castaño said that the valid representatives for an eventual peace process were the United Nations and the Catholic Church.

      If the willingness of the paramilitaries and the mediation of the Catholic Church are firmly established, the first peace talks could begin between the government and the right-wing paramilitary squads, after 38 years of armed conflict. More than 40,000 people have died in the last decade alone.

      In the past, the Church, considered among the most respected institutions in the country, was mediator in the failed peace talks between the government of then President Andrés Pastrana and the Armed Revolutionary Forces of Colombia (FARC), the country's main rebel group with 17,000 combatants.

      The paramilitary squads are illegal armed organizations that are funded by businessmen, cattle ranchers and landowners harassed by the guerrillas.

      The paramilitary forces are accused of having the support of some sectors of the armed forces and of committing human-rights violations in the clashes that have beset this country of 41 million.

      President Uribe plans to restore a military presence in isolated areas now controlled by rebels and paramilitaries, which might facilitate peace talks with the right-wing squads.

      Meanwhile, the Bogota weekly El Espectador revealed that the government is coordinating actions with the international community and the Church to reach an agreement on an exchange of hostages for imprisoned guerrillas. The guerrillas might be sent to France or Canada, the newspaper said Sunday.

      The paper further explained that a novel aspect of the initiative is that the government will demand "the release of all those kidnapped by the Armed Revolutionary Forces of Colombia (FARC), regardless of whether they were captured for political or extortionate reasons."

      "In return, the executive will allow prosecuted guerrillas or those convicted of political crimes and a few of those connected to them, to leave the prisons," and be sent to other countries, where they will receive guarantees of security and job possibilities, El Espectador reported.

      The executive is examining the feasibility of a juridical reform that would empower the Colombian chief executive to grant conditional or provisional freedom to imprisoned guerrillas, in exchange for the release of hostages.

      * * *

      Pro-life Awareness Raised for Elections in U.S.

      Candidates' Positions Listed on Web Site

      DENVER, Colorado, NOV. 4, 2002 (Zenit.org).- On the eve of elections that could affect pro-life legislation and policy in the United States, Catholics were being urged not to leave their faith out of Tuesday's voting.

      "There can never be a 'wall of separation' between our religious faith and our civic choices," said Archbishop Charles Chaput, in a letter read at Masses over the weekend.

      "In the Scriptures today, God tells us that, 'A great King am I, the Lord of hosts, and my name will be feared among the nations,'" the letter said. "If we really believe in the God we worship, then we must always be Catholic Christians first; we must always follow Jesus Christ and his Church first -- and only because of that, do we have anything valuable to offer to the political and economic life of our nation."

      "We get the elected officials we deserve," the archbishop's letter continued. "We'll be judged by the choices we make. In every election year, every Catholic who can vote has the serious obligation to do so. And in this election year especially, where some candidates clearly disregard the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death, we need to build the culture of life by our actions. Before we vote, we need to remember our faith, and we need to act accordingly."

      One political action committee, the We Vote Pro-Life PAC has set up a Web page that summarizes pro-life positions, candidate by candidate, state by state.

      The page is at http://www.wevoteprolife.com.

      * * *

      Cardinal Re to Visits Chiapas on Behalf of Pope

      MEXICO CITY, NOV. 4, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops, will visit the troubled state of Chiapas on Nov. 9 on behalf of John Paul II.

      The Diocese of San Cristobal de las Casas announced in a message to the faithful that the cardinal will visit in order to "make tangible Pope John Paul II's and the Holy See's closeness" to the diocese, "in particular to young people and the Indians."

      The diocesan press statement also said the trip is meant to "express ecclesial communion."

      The diocese indicated that on the day of his arrival, Cardinal Re will meet with priests, religious and lay people. That night he will celebrate Mass in the Cathedral of San Cristobal.

      * * *

      Franciscans Plan for 750th Anniversary of St. Clare's Death

      ROME, NOV. 4, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Next year marks the 750th anniversary of St. Clare's death, and the Franciscans think it will be a good opportunity to spotlight the example of her life.

      Franciscan superiors especially point St. Clare's testimony of life, which mirrored the poverty and vulnerability of Christ. The Conference of Ministers General of the First Franciscan Order and of the Third Order Regular suggests this in a letter published in http://www.vidimusdominum.org, the Web page of religious communities.

      The ministers general of the Franciscans suggest that the celebrations begin next Palm Sunday, "when Sister Clare ran away from her father's home and promised obedience to Francis at Santa Maria degli Angeli," and that they close with "with a great celebration on the feast of the glorious Mother Clare on Aug. 11, 2004."

      "As your brothers, we are offering to assist you in every way we can," the letter continues. "One of the greatest gifts that we monks have had in recent years is that of a growing knowledge and respect of Sister Clare; and it is our sincere desire that this gift be nurtured and continually enriched in our midst."

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      • The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/11052.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 14 of 912 Catholic Yahoo groups, with over 550 subscriptions, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important to us helping us grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions you post. When posting
      questions please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk". Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All materials submitted and published are copyright protected in accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      © Copyright 2002 John N. Lupia for Roman Catholic News at the URL: http://
      groups.yahoo.com/group/Roman-Catholic-News, unless specified otherwise. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owners. All articles from VIS, VID, Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Noticias Eclesiales are republished by approval and courtesy of these news agencies. We encourage our readers to send financial support to Zenit, a private news organization in Rome. Zenit (www.zenit.org), VIS (V.I.S. - Vatican Information
      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows:
      correspondence should be sent to: