    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002

      MONDAY 4 November 2002

      Feast of St. Charles Borromeo

      • Without God, Culture Is Overwhelmed by Fear, Pope Says
      • Pope Asks Nation to Help Town Rebuild
      • Address on Modern Culture and Eternal Life
      • East Timor: Far from a Pacific Paradise
      • Communications as a Priority for the Church
      • HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION
      • EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IN HONOR OF THE SORROWFUL HEART OF
      MARY

      Without God, Culture Is Overwhelmed by Fear, Pope Says

      People Find Themselves "Prisoners" in the World, He Warns

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Without faith in God, contemporary culture cannot understand death and is thus overwhelmed by fear, John Paul II says.

      "More than ever, today's world has a need to rediscover the meaning of life and death, in the perspective of eternal life," the Pontiff told the thousands of pilgrims gathered today in St. Peter's Square before the recitation of the midday Angelus.

      "Outside of it," he said, "modern culture, born to exalt man and his dignity, is paradoxically transformed into a culture of death, because, without the horizon of God, he finds himself as a prisoner in the world, overwhelmed by fear, and, unfortunately, gives way to multiple personal and collective pathologies."

      The Bishop of Rome illustrated this truth by quoting the Apostle Paul's first Letter to the Corinthians: "If Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain. ... If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are the most pitiable people of all. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep."

      John Paul II continued by quoting a homily of St. Charles Borromeo (1538-1584), archbishop of Milan, where he recalled that for man, everything is a gift from God, including death, because it is accompanied by the "resurrection of your dead body" so that "not a hair of your head will be lost."

      The saint's liturgical feast day is Monday. That gave John Paul II -- whose baptismal name Karol means Charles -- the chance to thank the faithful for the congratulations and prayers he received for his name day.

      * * *

      Pope Asks Nation to Help Town Rebuild

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II is calling on all Italian citizens to help the town of San Giuliano di Puglia reconstruct in the wake of Thursday's earthquake that killed 29, including 26 children.

      In his message read at today's funeral rites, the Pope also prayed that God will infuse "serenity" in the south-central Italian community.

      The 26 children died when their school building in the Molise region collapsed. In all his public appearances over the past three days, the Pope has asked for prayers for the children, especially for their families and loved ones, and appealed for the solidarity of the Church and the country.

      On Friday, the feast of All Saints, the Pope made his customary visit to the Grottos of the Vatican Basilica, where numerous Bishops of Rome are buried, and spent some time in prayer.

      "In these Vatican Grottos," he said, "we entrust to the mercy of the Father all the victims of the earthquake that struck the south of Italy, in particular, the numerous children who lost their lives, their parents and their families."

      * * *

      Address on Modern Culture and Eternal Life

      Without God, Man Is Fearful, Says John Paul II

      VATICAN CITY, NOV. 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Here is a translation of John Paul II's address at midday today, before his recitation of the Angelus with several thousand people gathered in St. Peter's Square.

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      1. Yesterday we celebrated the annual liturgical commemoration of all the faithful deceased. A choral invocation was raised from the Church worldwide to the God of life and peace, so that he would welcome into his Kingdom of infinite light all souls, especially the most abandoned and in need of his mercy.

      Christian prayer for the dead, which characterizes the entire month of November, can only take place in the light of the resurrection of Christ. Indeed, the Apostle Paul says: "If Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain. ... If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are the most pitiable people of all. But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep" (1 Corinthians 15:17,19-20).

      More than ever, today's world has a need to rediscover the meaning of life and death in the perspective of eternal life. Outside of it, modern culture, born to exalt man and his dignity, is paradoxically transformed into a culture of death, because, without the horizon of God, he finds himself as a prisoner in the world, overwhelmed by fear, and, unfortunately, gives way to multiple personal and collective pathologies.

      2. In this connection, I am pleased to quote a text of St. Charles Borromeo, whose liturgical memorial we celebrate tomorrow. "May my soul -- he wrote -- never cease to praise the Lord who never ceases to lavish gifts. It is a gift of God if, from being a sinner, you are called to righteousness; a gift of God if you are sustained so that you will not fall; a gift of God of you are given the strength to persevere until the end; the resurrection of your dead body will also be a gift, so that not a hair of your head will be lost; glorification= after the resurrection will be a gift of God; and, lastly, it will also be a gift of God to be able to praise him continually in eternity (Homily, Sept. 5, 1583).

      While I invite you to meditate on these illuminating thoughts of the holy archbishop of Milan, I take the opportunity to express my gratitude to all those who, recalling the feast of St. Charles, have sent me good wishes for my name day. I am especially grateful for your assurance of prayer, which I return sincerely, invoking abundant heavenly graces for all.

      3. Let us now turn to Mary Most Holy, and ask her to sustain our prayer particularly for the repose of the deceased. In this Year of the Rosary, let us follow assiduously the school of the Virgin, to contemplate with her the mystery of Christ, dead and risen, hope of eternal life for every man.

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      [At the conclusion of the Angelus, the Holy Father said:]

      Today we all shared spiritually in the sorrow of the community of San Giuliano di Puglia, so stricken by the tragic loss of many of its children.

      Once again I wish to say to those dear families that the Pope is near to them
      and that he prays for them, imploring the Lord, through the intercession of Mary, Mother of Mercy, the consolation of Christian faith and of hope.

      [Translation by ZENIT]

      * * *

      East Timor: Far from a Pacific Paradise

      Bishop Appeals to Portugal for Vocations

      DILI, East Timor, NOV. 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- Five months after gaining independence, East Timor is still grappling with problems regarding education and culture, as well as its beleaguered refugees.

      Bishop Carlos Felipe Ximenes Belo of Dili, 1996 Nobel Peace Prize recipient, spoke about the former Portuguese colony's plight when he appealed to Church leaders in Portugal to send priests, seminarians, deacons and other religious to East Timor.

      Bishop Belo, who was received by the Pope last week during his every-five-year visit to Rome, spoke recently at the School of Religious Sciences of the Diocese of Lamego in Portugal, and referred to the crisis of vocations. If vocations were shared, he said, both the Portuguese and Timorese would be enriched, the VID Web page reported.

      According to the bishop, the parishes of the Pacific nation are very large -- the smallest has 50,000 inhabitants. Just one priest per parish is insufficient, especially now when social and political problems persist, he said.

      "If there were someone to accompany the priest, teaching Portuguese, leading young people, and heading the scouts, it would be of enormous" value, he said, appealing to Bishop Jacinto Botelho of Lamego, who was in the audience.

      Those that come "will have to get used to great sacrifices. There, we do not eat meat or drink wine," and our food is "very poor," Bishop Belo warned.

      The Dili bishop considers the support of Portugal to be crucial in the areas of education and culture. "There is a war of influences" since the end of fighting, Bishop Belo said.

      The Indonesians "have retreated politically, but they continue to be there through the language and culture," he explained. Some even spread "poison" against Portugal, reminding Timorese of the colonialist past, he said.

      There are still 50,000 to 60,000 Timorese refugees suffering at the hands of Indonesians, the bishop of Dili said. Armed militias live in refugee camps and "threaten the people every night not to go back to East Timor," he said.

      The refugees live in terrible conditions, he continued. Many children die and, in some areas, girls are raped at night, the bishop continued. The Indonesian government, he said, is not interested in withdrawing the soldiers because "it has an interest" in the international aid allocated to the refugees.

      He added: "The feasts which celebrated independence were made for foreigners -- only for them to see."

      * * *

      Communications as a Priority for the Church

      Interview with Bishop Hollis, Former President of Episcopal Media Panel

      ROME, NOV. 3, 2002 (Zenit.org).- The Italian bishops' conference is organizing a symposium here Nov. 7-9 on the theme "Parables on Electronic Media: Building Culture in the Era of Communication."

      Bishop Crispin Hollis of Portsmouth, England, one of the main participants in the event and a former president of the Media Committee of the European bishops' conference (CEEM), spoke with ZENIT about the challenges facing the Church in this area.

      Q: Are Catholic communities responding well to the new communication challenges?

      Bishop Hollis: The response of parishes to the new communications challenges varies greatly, but in my own Diocese of Portsmouth, I am happy to say that there is an increasing use of the Internet and of Web sites.

      Many parishes have their own sites and I am very pleased that I can communicate with almost all the priests and deacons of the diocese by e-mail. This makes urgent communications very simple.

      In England and Wales as a whole, there is a Catholic Communications Service which is becoming increasingly pro-active in its relationships with the secular press and the broadcast media. It also maintains very active contacts with the Catholic press.

      In contrast with many other countries in Europe, the Catholic press is not controlled by the bishops' conference. It is independent but Catholic, and does its best to serve the many and varied groups which exist in the Catholic community.

      The challenges -- and opportunities -- particularly those which arise from the Internet, are beginning to be faced and we are becoming more and more aware of the promise which the Web holds of a rich and fresh way of communicating the Gospel in today's world.

      At the same time, we have to remember that the media are no more than what they are -- means -- and means to an end. In the last analysis, there can be no substitute for the personal conviction of a lived and witnessing faith in Jesus Christ.

      Q: Is communication a priority in the Church's agenda?

      Bishop Hollis: Communication is increasingly a priority on the Church's agenda because we are immersed in a culture which is so heavily dominated by the media.

      All information and expressed opinions are rapidly communicated by increasingly effective technology and the Church, like any other organization, has to speak to the culture of the day in the language of that culture.

      Q: How can Catholic parishes articulate better their communication?

      Bishop Hollis: The parishes still rely very largely on tried and tested techniques for their communications but, more and more, they are developing Web sites and are responding to the opportunities that are presented to them by the modern technology which surrounds us.

      Q: Do you think the European bishops are really aware of the importance of the new communication context?

      Bishop Hollis: A recent symposium held in France under the auspices of CEEM made it very clear that European bishops and bishops' conferences are increasingly aware of the challenges and opportunities that are placed before us.

      No two countries have the same arrangements for their work with the media. For some, as in the UK, there is an established public service broadcasting organization.

      In the UK we are blessed by the presence of the BBC and as part of their remit as a public service broadcaster, they set aside a budget of about 16 million pounds ($25 million) every year for religious broadcasting.

      Inevitably it is a system which reflects the multicultural and multifaith profile which is Britain today, but the Christian churches receive the lion's share of the airtime and it costs the churches nothing.

      At the same time, many other faiths and belief traditions are recognized and celebrated in a great variety of programs.

      We are blessed with this network but it is far from universally found across the continent of Europe. In many other countries, the Church really has to struggle for airtime and opportunity.

      It is partly the role of CEEM, which is in effect the Media Committee for CCEE [Council of European Bishops' Conferences], to assist and enable local churches to grasp and capitalize on the opportunities that exist. But this is hard and it is very expensive!

      Q: Which kind of projects does the CCEE encourage in the realm of
      communication?

      Bishop Hollis: The Church which has lost sight of its need to communicate is a Church which has lost its way. Communication -- evangelization -- mission -- is the sine qua non for the Catholic Church in Europe and worldwide.

      We are called into community and into communion so that we can proclaim the Gospel. Christ did not call us simply to look after ourselves but he called us into a communion of disciples so that, in mission, we can be sent out to proclaim the Gospel to the whole of creation.

      Modern media give us a whole new and exciting way of doing this and media culture is the language which we have to learn and in which we have to speak so that "the hungry sheep who look up, can be fed" with the Good News of Christ.

      Roman catholic News is very happy to announce new exciting links available to you, our fine subscribers. Some links require Realplayer a software program that allows you to see live television and hear audio recordings as well as listen to live radio. The software is free. To obtain your free copy go to EWTN Live TV and Radio on the link below and scroll down until you find the Download Free RealPlayer link and click it on.

      2. Live EWTN TV and Radio
      http://www.ewtn.com/audiovideo/index.htm

      • Audio of Pope's Wednesday Audience • Radio Catolica Mundial
      • Audio of EWTN's The World Over • Mother Angelica Live (Video)
      • The Journey Home (Video) • EWTN Religious Catalogue (Video)

      Send EWTN donations online:
      https://www.ewtn.com/ewtn/ssl/donation/donation_ewtn.asp

      http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/100402.htm

      http://www.universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/Readings.html

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

      http://www.rosaryhour.net/ra/program.ram

      http://www.monksofadoration.org/rosarych.html

      DOWNLOAD FREE SCRIPTURAL ROSARY
      http://www.virtualrosary.org/

      http://www.suba.com/~gunkel/divinemercy/dmvirtchap.htm

      * * *

      8. BIOGRAPHY OF MAMA GILI WITH PHOTO
      http://www.holyfaceofjesus.com/mama.html
      Then once inside click on
      PRAYER FOR THE BEATIFICATION OF MAMA GILI

      The Mama Gili Guild was established several years ago to gather, collect, and publish information on Dolores Immacolata Gili (1892-1985) for an investigation into her cause as a Servant of God, as well as to promote her cause and to perpetuate her cult by directing prayer groups assembled in her honor. It has continuously enjoyed the ecclesiastical approval of Theodore Cardinal McCarrick, and the Most Reverend John Joseph Myers, Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey.

      Call or write today regarding favors granted through the intercession of Dolores Immacolata "Mama" Gili, or, for more information about the cause of her investigation for canonization to:

      HOW TO POST A QUESTION TO THE CATHOLIC REFERENCE DESK AND
      HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR PUBLICATION

      Roman Catholic News is currently ranked 14 of 912 Catholic Yahoo groups, with over 550 subscriptions, and growing steadily on a daily basis. Your membership as a subscriber is important to us helping us grow in numbers which prompts us to improve our services. Please spread the word that a Catholic clergy run Catholic News group and Reference Desk are available that keeps you informed on all the activities of Pope John Paul II, the Holy See, the Roman Curia, Catholic doctrine, critical world news, biblical studies, and its Catholic Reference Desk answers questions you post. When posting
      questions please place in the subject field of your email "Reference Desk". Emails can be sent to either Roman-Catholic-News
      owner@yahoogroups.com, or to jlupia2@.... Articles written by professional and scholarly authors can also be sent to the email addresses above for consideration in a future issue. Authors should keep in mind that Roman Catholic News is a not-for-profit organization and considers publishing articles without paying any monetary compensation to authors. All materials submitted and published are copyright protected in accordance to the latest ruling from the Office of Copyright, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Your subscription is important to us. Welcome to Roman Catholic News. Tell a friend.

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the crucified Body of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "Eternal Father, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you the precious Blood of Your dearly beloved Son, Jesus Christ, in reparation for all the sins committed against you and for the conversion and salvation of the whole world."

      "during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

      "Keep close to the Mother of God as if you were the child Jesus clinging to her robes while walking down a dusty and busy crowded street and you'll always be safe."

      To gain access to all of the Roman Catholic News archives go to the URL:

      This will give you the archive of all of the articles in all issues. There are four ways to access archived articles: (1) Go to the Home Page panel on the far left and click on the word "Messages" just below the word "Home"; (2) then click on the articles posted by date; (3) or click on the blue Arabic numerals in the box for the month in the yearly calendar window at the bottom of the page; (4) or type in a keyword in the long rectangular white box alongside the long rectangular button that reads SEARCH ARCHIVE, and then click that button.

      Service) Zenit, Associated Press (AP), Reuters, (VID) Vidimus Dominum, and Noticias Eclesiales own the original copyright for their news releases as credited. All copyright materials copied in any form must include the appropriate copyright owner; for Roman Catholic News use our URL as follows:
      correspondence should be sent to: